Start by marking “A Hog on Ice and Other Curious Expressions” as Want to Read:
A Hog on Ice and Other Curious Expressions

A Hog on Ice and Other Curious Expressions

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  9 reviews
He's as independent as a hog on ice!Where did expressions like this come from anyway?

Now finally we'll know what "letting the cat out of the bag" or "going on a wild-goose chase" refers to. In this fun collection of more than 400 curious expressions and sayings, Dr. Funk explains the meanings that we use in everyday speech without even thinking about it. He has traced them
Published October 1st 2002 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about A Hog on Ice and Other Curious Expressions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hog on Ice and Other Curious Expressions

Sony Esquivel
This is an interesting book to pick up and read a few pages at a time. I highly recommend this book
Cristhian
No tengo manera de calificar este libro, pero sí de apreciar lo que aprendí de él.
Thannasset
Some of this is overdone, but Funk is very very careful--if he says he knows where a word or phrase came from, he's apt to be able to prove it. Will just say so if he doesn't know or couldn't find out. Some of the expressions he takes the trouble to explain here are completely out of style now, or uncommon even when in use. But very interesting to word-hounds just the same.
Kate
I haven't actually read this particular book; I just finished the original book (the one published in the 1940's). I somehow stumbled upon it in the library and checked it out. I thought it was very intertwining. I enjoy this kind of off the wall old history. It's definitely a 'just for fun' sort of book & I encourage people to read it as such.
Chriss
Jan 26, 2008 Chriss rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Word fans, etymology freaks and anyone who's wondered where that word came from
This is a really fun book. I love Funk’s writing and research so much that I always buy his books when I find them. Most are out of print, though, this book was reprinted in 2002.

My blog has a full review, with excerpts & scans of the illustrations.
Mindy
I thought this would be really interesting, and at first it was. First of all: it rapidly became BORING! This author completely sucked the life and interest out of the subject. In addition, since it was written in 1948, meanings of some of the expressions have actually changed! It felt dated beyond belief.
Debbie
The book covers a good number of expressions, many of which I've heard before and others I haven't. There is usually around two expressions on each page. The short explanation covers the meaning of the phrase and, if he knows it, the origin.
Barbara Mader
Not as much fun as I thought it would be--expectations too high. I thought I would learn all sorts of startling or fascinating histories of the sayings, and learn oodles of new colorful phrases, but, well, not really. It was OK.
Benjamin Plume
This is a guide to all kinds of idioms and their history. There was a whole series, but this was the only one I ever got around to reading.
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Angiesalinas
Angiesalinas marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Nur
Nur marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Toby
Toby added it
Jan 15, 2015
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Thereby Hangs a Tale Heavens to Betsy!: And Other Curious Sayings 2107 Curious Word Origins, Sayings & Expressions: From White Elephants to Song & Dance Horsefeathers and Other Curious Words Horse Feathers: and More than 600 Other Curious Words--and Their Origins