Start by marking “Bite Sized Marketing: Realistic Solutions For The Over Worked Librarian” as Want to Read:
Bite Sized Marketing: Realistic Solutions For The Over Worked Librarian

Bite Sized Marketing: Realistic Solutions For The Over Worked Librarian

Written and designed to reflect the way people read today, this book is structured to quickly impart simple and cost-effective ideas on marketing your library.
Published January 1st 2009 by American Library Association

To ask other readers questions about Bite Sized Marketing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bite Sized Marketing

Beth
May 19, 2010 Beth rated it it was amazing
This book provides assurance that marketing can be manageable. The best kept secret to success in marketing is to simply try. Word-of-mouth marketing is still very effective and the Internet has helped advertising to be consumer-driven. The key to finding out what will work in the library setting is to find the people of influence to get the rest involved. Incentives for the influencers could be a lollipop or a less than a dollar online song.
There is a wide assortment of tools to inform others.
Tom
Apr 05, 2011 Tom rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book, but I felt like it didn't deliver. Sort of a "Marketing for Librarians" (as opposed to "Marketing for Dummies"), this book can help libraries to better maintain their image and to become more integral parts of their communities though basic marketing strategies. And I give the authors credit for putting together such a basic, yet comprehensive, book on marketing libraries in the digital age. It's hard to nail down tech trends long enough to write about them, ...more
Liz De Coster
Apr 18, 2011 Liz De Coster rated it liked it
Recommended to Liz by: Tom
Shelves: lis
A pretty quick and dirty introduction to marketing suggestions (I'd hesitate to call them strategies) for libraries. Does a good job of covering basic marketing concepts and approaches, though I'd argue that the sections on branding and internal marketing (getting staff buy-in) should preface the rest of the book. If your library is just getting started with marketing and outreach, this is a reasonable place to start, especially if you or other staff members aren't familiar/comfortable with "Web ...more
Melissa
Aug 24, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok
This is not a clear, concise plan on how to market on the cheap or market in tiny bites. Most of it is about word of mouth marketing, and while that is important doesn't give a clear picture besides set up booths in the community and talk to people.
Carmyn
Aug 06, 2013 Carmyn rated it really liked it
Interested in expanding the reach of your library or library programs? Looking for ways to improve your library’s brand or public image? Unsure about how to expand into social networks or how to use online tools? Dowd, Evangeliste, and Silberman have written an easy-to-read, highly accessible book, Bite-Sized Marketing, that provides just that—little morsels of great ideas. They provide just enough to get the creative juices flowing and then they are on to another essential tool in marketing ...more
Dec 19, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok
In their introduction, the authors of Bite Sized Marketing inform us that initially thought they would "be able to produce ten minute marketing solutions for librarians, but the truth is the nothing worthwhile can get done in ten minutes.Instead {they} have created a book with tangible ideas that can be done in bite sized chunks"...each chapter of which reads like it was written in ten minutes.

Based on the title and description of this book, I expected it to contain small, specific suggestions t
Hava
I saw this advertised online so I thought I'd check it out from the library to see if it was worth buying at some point down the road. Verdict: Not really.

I think my problem is, I was wanting marketing on a smaller scale, like Twitter 101 and Facebook 101 or something. Instead, they talk about doing podcasts in here, and what the best type of microphone was to use. I have never even heard of a library doing a podcast, so a whole section on choosing the right type of mic seemed a bit much. I was
Kristin
Picked out this book to research for a paper in library school-- I found it to be a really stand-out work. The author "gets it." Every librarian should read it. It talks about how to market library services to put libraries in the public consciousness in a relevant, modern, and meaningful way. It's also a really small book, short, sweet, readable, and to the point: streamlined, I would say. Even if you're not in a position of power to implement a lot of stuff, this book still gets you thinking ...more
Angela
May 04, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: library staff, programming librarians
Shelves: professional
I recently picked this up while in a funk over better marketing to my teen community. I needed something to reinvigorate my approach, breathe new life into my outreach forays and in essence, make me feel like I had a few tricks to pull out of my hat.

This title does it all and reinforces the belief that you are probably already doing a pretty good job, just need to tweak a little here and there.

The format is quick, fun and easy to digest and search through. Nancy Dowd, Mary Evangeliste and Jona
Cat
Oct 16, 2015 Cat rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-science
Meh, it was ok. I jotted a few things down but this was nothing revelatory. It mostly touts word of mouth marketing, which is fine, but "make friends with the cool kids" is kind of weak advice. The things I made a note on were the sections where they actually provide tips or suggestions for action - survey questions, story box ideas, podcast equipment recommendations, etc. Otherwise I flipped through it pretty quickly without too much commitment.
Miss Kelly
Feb 10, 2016 Miss Kelly rated it really liked it
I browsed through this book b/c I was unclear on some new marketing terms (branding, guerilla marketing and embracing Web 2.0) WOMM (word-of-mouth is my marketing skill I do well. I am still working on the digital/social networking marketing practices. I learned you can't market in 10 minutes, but you can break ideas down into "bite-sized chunks." "The real secret to marketing? Just try."
Mandie
Jan 22, 2014 Mandie rated it really liked it
Great starter book for those (like me) who are looking for ideas on marketing for their library. It doesn't go into great detail on any one subject, but offers great ideas on where to begin. Since the book is a coule years old, not all the websites the authors suggested as aids are current or may not even be still available. Which was disappointing.
Tracey
Mar 31, 2011 Tracey rated it liked it
Professional development/nonfiction. Quick and dirty overview of marketing techniques, including lots of practical advice on the use of social media and writing press releases/media alerts. Could've used more "best practices" examples, but this will inspire you to look around for more ideas.
Molly
Well, it was a good premise, and I don't have anything against the book. It's just that... it wasn't really anything new. I don't know. I think the problem is that I'm looking for a book to tell me how to make people come to libraries, when I'm not wholly sure that is possible. Shrug.
Angie
I found parts of this book helpful, but a lot of it was pretty general stuff. I was really looking for a lot more detailed information. I can see where others may find this a lot more helpful though. It just wasn't exactly what I needed. Well written though.
Rebecca Kate Miller
Aug 04, 2010 Rebecca Kate Miller rated it liked it
View my May 2010 review for EndNotes: The Journal of the New Members Round Table (1, 1), available:

Lauren
Jun 28, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring for me. Will definitely follow up on some of these ideas. Need to keep up to date with library tech.
Stacy Taylor
Apr 26, 2016 Stacy Taylor rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, work, 2016
I really just skimmed this. The section on branding was really good. The rest I thought was OK...mostly stuff I already know, but could be useful to beginners.
Vrena
Vrena rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2010
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2011
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2012
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2012
Bethany
Bethany rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Annalisa
Annalisa rated it did not like it
Nov 15, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2011
J
J rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
Jodi
Jodi rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Melanie
Sep 25, 2015 Melanie rated it liked it
A little bit outdated at this point. (Myspace? Really?) But there is some useful info in here.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Reflective Teaching, Effective Learning: Instructional Literacy for Library Educators
  • The Nextgen Librarian's Survival Guide
  • Black Belt Librarians: Every Librarian's Real World Guide to a Safer Workplace
  • Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction
  • Critical Library Instruction: Theories and Methods
  • The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts
  • The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media
  • Services Marketing: Integrating Customer Focus Across the Firm
  • Rethinking Information Work: A Career Guide for Librarians and Other Information Professionals
  • Management Basics for Information Professionals
  • The Atlas of New Librarianship
  • Young Adult Literature: From Romance to Realism
  • From Cover to Cover: Evaluating and Reviewing Children's Books
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out
  • What They Don't Teach You in Library School
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Anarchist in the Library: How the Clash Between Freedom and Control Is Hacking the Real World and Crashing the System
  • So You Want to Be a Librarian