The Last Days of Pompeii

The Last Days of Pompeii

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  810 ratings  ·  66 reviews
The Last Days of Pompeii is a novel written by the baron Edward Bulwer-Lytton in 1834. Once a very widely read book and now relatively neglected, it culminates in the cataclysmic destruction of the city of Pompeii by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD.
Published 1896 by George Routledge & Sons (first published 1834)

Stacey
I read this perhaps 25 years ago, but just downloaded a copy, not remembering that I'm already familiar with it. The opening lines reminded me. Of course, being so long ago, I don't remember a lot about the reading (good reason to revisit the book,) but it did make quite an impression on me. Since I was a teenager, I've watched many documentaries that reference Pompeii, and have a fascination with volcanoes.

In 1980, Mt. St. Helens erupted, the top 1/3 of the mountain disappearing in a moment. I...more
Brenda
Fascinated me! Revealed how the people of Pompeii lived, what their daily lives were like. As the author describes the volcano erupting, I felt that I was right there and could feel what the people felt. I read this way before there was much information out or any movies made so it was just mind blogging to me! Made me want to visit and see the ruins.
Erik Graff
Jul 07, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bulwer-Lytton fans
Recommended to Erik by: Louise Fischer
Shelves: literature
I read this thing while taking Latin and belonging to the Latin Club at Maine Township South High School South in Park Ridge, Illinois. Although not highly regarded as literature, I, as an early teen, liked it quite a lot except for what, even then, I felt to be a rather saccharine Christianity.
Suzanne
May 17, 2008 Suzanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my kids!
I loved this book! It's fun to read about history in story form. It takes a bit of effort to get into the story at first, but half way through the book, it's hard to put it down. I was too tired to finish reading it last night, but woke up early (5:30AM) and finished it before doing anything else. It's a fascinating account of the unknown but one true God pursuing and rescuing some who were deeply immersed in the gods of their current culture and times. And also of the tragedy of the volcanic ex...more
Masanobu
This was just an adventure book with a historical setting. I think it had no blatant historical mistakes (I don't know much about Rome or Pompeii), and it was entertaining enough, but it didn't have me hooked, as I expected. I also expected more drama from the Vesubius eruption, but it had just a mild effect on the main characters' lives.
What made me give this book just two stars was:
1. Flat characters. Good ones were really good ones. Bad ones were evil. Good ones win without much effort and ju...more
حسام عادل
رواية جميلة للغاية,ملحمة من الرومانسية والخيانة والدسائس والتضحية والدم,لم أكن أعرف كاتبها قبلاً,ولا أحسب أني حتى قرأت اسمه يوماً أو اسم عمل من أعماله,ولولا المصادفة البحتة وترشيح صديق عزيز لها لما تعرفت على رواية بتلك الروعة,لن أحكي تفاصيلها حتى لا أحرق الأحداث لكن يكفيني كملخص أن أقول أن تلك الرواية كلاسيكية حديثة,بها نفس التيمات الكلاسيكية العذبة - غير المملة والتقليدية - وفي نفس الوقت تصلح كرواية حديثة طازجة الدماء جداً;باختصار هي إحدى الروايات الرومانسية التى تصلح لكل سن وكل زمن,وحتى مع معر...more
Kara

A veiled Roman lady walks down the cobble stone street of ancient Pompeii. She smiles when she sees her friend and modestly removes only half her veil to greet her in front of the House of the Tragic Poet, a name that will be conferred upon it seventeen centuries hence.

“O friend! By wise Juno, how are you?”

“Alas and alack, dear friend! This day I am forced to place a one star review on Goodreads!”

“By the gods this is sore news indeed! Why?”

“The melodramatic overacting of the main characters is q...more
Brad Hodges
Once wildly popular, Baron Edward Bulwer-Lytton is now best know for a couple of his quotes. One is "the pen is mightier than the sword," which is often used; the other is the opening to his novel Paul Clifford: "It was a dark and stormy night," which was later used by Charles Schulz in Peanuts, with Snoopy's attempts at writing a novel always starting with that line.

In 1834 Bulwer-Lytton published The Last Days of Pompeii, a potboiler about the days leading up the August 14, 79 AD eruption of M...more
David Fulmer
A romantic historical novel inspired by a famous natural disaster in ancient times and archaeological evidence discovered in Pompeii, this novel was among the most popular works of literature in the nineteenth century though it’s now all but forgotten. ‘The Last Days of Pompeii’ is a love story set in that Roman town just before the famous eruption of Mount Vesuvius buried it and most of its citizens in ash. It draws a vivid portrait of the lifestyle of the Imperial Romans, their daily baths, sy...more
امتياز

توجد هذه الرواية في مكتبتي منذ زمن لكني لم اقرأها من قبل ، وهي عبارة عن رواية عالمية من ترجمة المكتبة العالمية للفتيان والفتيات ، تتحدث بشكل شيق ومثير عن آخر أيام بومباي وهي مدينة إيطالية تعرضت للتدمير بشكل كامل بفعل الحمم البركانية في صيف عام 79 للميلاد.

أسلوب المترجم والملخص " أكرم الرافعي " بسيط وسلس ، ويشرح بعض الكلمات غير المعروفة أو الدارجة.

وطبعًا هذه الرواية مبسطة وموجهة للقراء الصغار " للفتية " ولكني استمتعت بقراءتها جداً ، وإذا وقعت بين يدي ترجمة " للكبار " فأكيد سوف أكرر التجربة واقرأها
Kassy
Really beautiful. If you can handle the iambic pentameter, it was a classic epic of hero versus man and nature. Really liked it!!!

Makes me want to go to Pompeii!
Eleclyah
sabisteb
Glaukus Liebt Jone
Nydia liebt Glaukus
Julia liebt Glaukus
Abaces liebt Jone
Jone liebt Glaukus

sabisteb
Pompeij 74. n. Chr. Der junge, reiche Griechen Glaukus führt ein Leben in Müßiggang im Kreise nichtsnutziger junger Tagediebe wie dem Patrizier Clodius und dem Dichter Sallust, die ihn heimlich verachten, aber seinen Weinkeller lieben. Das ändert sich plötzlich als Glaukus Jone erblickt und sich unsterblich in diese blonde Schönheit verliebt. Jone ist eine Waise. Sie und ihr Bruder Apäcides (ein Isispriester) sind Mündel des geheimnisvollen Ägypters Arbaces, der in Jone mehr sieht als eine Zieht...more
William
A romance, heavy on the details, leading up to the eruption of Mt Vesuvius in AD 79. Throw in some hedonistic noblemen, gladiators, Christians, a scheming seductress and a few lions - what's not to like?

"I believe in two deities - Nature and Necessity; I worship the last by reverence, the first by investigation. What is the morality my religion teaches? All things are subject but to general rules: the sun shines for the joy of the many... though it may bring sorrow to the few; the night sheds sl...more
Lucy
There's not a lot of point criticising Bulwer-Lytton's overblown, excessively flowery, never-use-one-word-if-you-can-use-ten style, because that was his shtick - if that's the sort of thing you like, then you'll like this. I didn't, much, I found the characters stock, the descriptions stilted and the historical accuracy too glued on. I did get involved though once the volcano erupted (oops, hope that hasn't given away the plot), and there was one insight into crowd behaviour that is universal an...more
Gabriel Wallis
What a difficult book to read! I've owned "The Last Days of Pompeii" since I was a child, and finally decided to sit down and read it. Over the years I've picked it up, looked at it, and put it back down, always playing with the idea to actually read it. And now that I've read it, I'm glad I did. It was good! So much happened in the storyline, there's not enough time to go over the details. I really appreciated the Christians (Nazarenes) in the story. They caught my attention, being a Christian...more
James Violand
Jun 25, 2014 James Violand rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Shelves: own
Good read. The movies that supposedly follow this novel - do not! The reader gets to understand the motives of the personalities in a typical Roman city of the 1st century. Entertaining.
Mel
I did quite enjoy this. It was an interesting tale of life in Pompeii mixed with Egyptian magic and witches and a love story. It was a proper 19th century "romance" in the tradition of Walter Scott but then would have lovely diversions where it would talk about the archaeological evidence for what it was writing about and mention which museums to go and see the character's houses. Some of the characterisation was a little bland but there were quite a few that I enjoyed. I'm glad I finally got ar...more
Mathieu
Un pavé que j'ai lu dans mes années collège, mais qui m'a bien plu.

Grande fresque historique, aux personnages attachants et ménageant une quantité de rebondissement plus qu'appréciables. Evidemment, on connaît la fin, mais c'est pas un critère. Titanic aussi on connaissait la fin, mais ça n'a pas empêché des millions de gens d'aller le voir...

Un bon roman, quoiqu'un peu vieillot dans son style d'écriture (mais bon, personnellement, ça me gêne absolument pas).
Elizabeth S
3 1/2 stars. As with many classics, the beginning is yawn-worthy. But it does eventually pick up the pace and become quite exciting. Knowing that at the end the city is destroyed, one wonders who (if anyone) will survive. Which increases the intensity of the subplots, because even if the good-guys win, they may still die at the end. So one wonders if perhaps the bad-guys will win, but suffer in the final demise. Read to find out!
Gail
This is another tangent off of my current Dickens kick. It was a fictionalized account of, obviously, the last days of Pompeii. There was love, romance, heartbreak, heroes and villains, betrayals and last-minute rescues. Really, what more could you ask? It reminded me of reading Dickens but with fewer memorable characters with quirky traits. I do, however, recommend it.
Beth
A sort of romance built over the archaeological discoveries of the city of Pompeii, which was destroyed by a volcanic eruption in the year 79. The style is very nineteenth-century classical, with lots of allusions and quotations from classical writers (Roman and Greek). In the end, the bad guys get what's coming to them and the good guys escape and live happily ever after.
Kat Gunya
This is overall an amazing book. Once you get past the stumbling block that is old English, you suddenly find yourself extremely engaged and do not want to put the book down. The plot is exciting and the book itself is fairly fast-paced. I would definitely recommend it to anyone with a voracious reading appetite or somebody looking for a challenge.
Jonathan Arancibia
Hell, I remember I got so freak out when I read this one. I was like 8 or 9, and I lived in Santiago. We had this huge mountain in front of us and I always thought "if that thing was a volcano, we'd be all screwed." And to feed even more this uprising paranoia, there were several documentaries about volcanoes being aired by that time.
Anne
I have always been fascinated by Pompeii. This 19th century classic apparently used to be more widely read, but now has competition with more contemporary works by Robert Harris and many others. It takes a bit of time to get into the plot of the story, but for ancient history enthusiasts, this book is worth the effort.
Christy Stewart
I cannot judge this book as a novel because it reads so beautifully that I consider it poetry.

It's a great book to use for bibliomancy and it's so old that you can get great antique copies of it.

PS. I once read that no one practices bibliomancy anymore and I divined from the text that the author is retarded.
Dennis
It is written in an older English style than we speak nowadays. This would be hard ti understand with someone unfamiliar with this vernacular. Also it would take a lot of research to understand all of the references the author is using. In the end, it is worth a read.
Amber Ziegler
Dec 26, 2007 Amber Ziegler rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Shelves: victorian-lit
I hated this book. It was torture to read and the plot wasn't any good. I read it for a 19th century Brit lit class, but I've never read any other 19th century Brit lit quite like it. Unless you must read it, avoid this book like the plague.
  • The History Of Henry Esmond, Esq. (Clear Print)
  • The Talisman
  • The Fires of Vesuvius: Pompeii Lost and Found
  • Count Belisarius
  • Westward Ho! or, the Voyages and Adventures of Sir Amyas Leigh, Knight, of Burrough
  • The Sorrows of Satan or The Strange Experience of One Geoffrey Tempest, Millionaire
  • The Spy
  • Natural History: A Selection
  • The Corsican Brothers
  • Parallel Lives
  • Michael Strogoff
Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton PC, was an English novelist, poet, playwright, and politician. Lord Lytton was a florid, popular writer of his day, who coined such phrases as "the great unwashed", "pursuit of the almighty dollar", "the pen is mightier than the sword", and the infamous incipit "It was a dark and stormy night."

He was the youngest son of General William Ear...more
More about Edward Bulwer-Lytton...
The Coming Race Zanoni: A Rosicrucian Tale The Haunted and the Haunters Pelham or Adventures of a Gentleman A Strange Story

“my Clodius, how little your countrymen know of the true versatility of a Pericles, of the true witcheries of an Aspasia!” 0 likes
“Oh, can these men love, my Clodius? Scarcely even with the senses. How rarely a Roman has a heart! He is but the mechanism of genius—he wants its bones and flesh.” 0 likes