Start by marking “Thomas Hardy: Tess of the D'Urbervilles; The Mayor of Casterbridge; Far from the Madding Crowd” as Want to Read:

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  734 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The quintessential Victorian novelist of unforgettable characters caught in their inescapable fates: with unfailing honesty and lyrical writing, Thomas Hardy captured his heroes' intimate relationship with the natural and social environment. Here are three of his finest works, presented in their entirety. Tess of the Durbervilles tells the tragic tale of a poor young girl' ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Chancellor Press (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Thomas Hardy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thomas Hardy

Markus Sakoschek
Feb 09, 2016 Markus Sakoschek rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic, fictions
One would have to be difficult to not love this book
Charles
Jun 26, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone needing a good reminder that the sins are not necessarily signs of a sinful person.
Shelves: classics
One of many books back on my old High School English literature lists that I never read until my later adult years, Tess is the story of one girl and the fate thrust upon her by circumstances and morals she only understands after the events transpire. The challenge in this author (and many others from the same time period) is the use of words and phrases virtually unknown in this day and age (and that it is set in England tends to make it other-worldly for an American like me).

The book is an exc
Gale
Apr 04, 2013 Gale rated it liked it
Shelves: british-classics
“Penance for Past Sin “

Set in fictitious Casterbridge (Hardy’s beloved Dorchester), the story revolves around the web of deceit spun by pride and drink, with serious consequences 20 years later. Traveling by foot with his stoic wife and baby girl, hay-trusser Michael Henchard arrives in Weydon-Priors during its annual fair. Having drunk too much laced furmity he makes an astounding offer to those gathered in the tent: he will auction off the unvalued females to the highest bidder! Fate protect
JFN
Oct 27, 2008 JFN rated it really liked it
I took a class in undergrad entirely devoted to the works of Hardy. It was an awesome class. Hats off to the professor, Shiela Burger, at UAlbany. I took that class 10 years ago, and I still think about it. I love how the landscape plays its own role in all of Hardy's works.

Far from the Madding Crowd
Not my fav of Hardy's works, but good to have read in the context of his other pieces.

Tess of the d'Urbervilles
I read this one while I was training around Europe in 1995. It's a heavy work. Sad and u
Shaely Segura
Aug 19, 2015 Shaely Segura rated it liked it
spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gave it 3 stars because it was a long book and it went really slow. tess suffered a lot and at the end she ended up killing herself . sad story
İrem
Sep 01, 2015 İrem rated it really liked it

That is not my favorite. But Tess and her disapointment is an example of class distinction and egotism. It is the women who always suffer.
Kavyasrestha Khatai
Aug 16, 2015 Kavyasrestha Khatai rated it really liked it
Loved it,Really Happiness is an occasional episode in the general drama of Pain...
Mark Williams
Jan 21, 2015 Mark Williams rated it liked it
Superb writing, tiresome protagonist.
Rhonda Hankins
i love all three of these novels. . .
Megan
Sep 04, 2008 Megan rated it did not like it
Hal
Jan 13, 2014 Hal rated it it was amazing
One of Hardy's enduring masterpieces. Hard to read this book without feeling pain.
Deb
Apr 19, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
So did you know a man in the 1800's could write a story that could inspire soap operas? Ok, maybe he didn't, but the story has some really nice juicy scandals. Yes, it is placed in rural England in the 1800's, but don't let that stop you from a really good story. & if you like scandalous stories, check out some of his other work too.
Amanda
Feb 26, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
One that I could have read in high school English class and I'm glad I didn't. I think I appreciated it much more as an adult, reading this of my own volition.

Thomas Hardy is one of favorite authors. I feel many of his themes are as relevant today as they were when he was writing.
Goroma Umar
Oct 01, 2011 Goroma Umar rated it really liked it
My favourite novel author whose style I want to take; characters always related to natural or rural things, paying every wrongdoing with equal deeds as a rule of fate. Thomas Hardy used poetic diction, his word sounding like bells clattering in harmonious beauty to the ears.
Liz Ferris
Feb 27, 2008 Liz Ferris rated it it was ok
Right. I found this one in the school library. It's an American literary "classic". Victorian era love story ends, big surprise, tragically. I was impressed by neither the writing nor the plot. I figured it might be a Jeopardy category one day so I finished it.
Kristina
Nov 23, 2010 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Gearing up to teach a brit lit novels class in 2011 and I'm reminded why I love Hardy---real characters, often tragically undone by their human frailties and Tess of the D'Urbervilles is still one of the greatest characters ever betrayed by the social class.
G
Jun 22, 2011 G rated it it was amazing
Tess is the heroine of tragedy for all times. As long as we celebrate God in His Heaven, we can overcome anything. This book stands out in my memory for the poignancy and dignity of suffering of the heroine. A classic to treasure for all times.
Ariella
Sep 19, 2012 Ariella rated it it was amazing
When I can't find something to read - and many times there's nothing being published that measures up to Hardy - I go back to the old favories. They never disappoint!
Jan Strong
Jan 31, 2009 Jan Strong rated it really liked it
I do like Thomas Hardy, of these I like the Mayor of Casterbridge-Tess is just so hard at the end, Far from the Madding is very good too-movie very good
Lily Wittich
Sep 19, 2013 Lily Wittich rated it liked it
Depressing. Every last one of his stories made me want to cut myself. But once I started, I couldn't very well stop in the middle, could I?!
Jill
Aug 28, 2008 Jill rated it liked it
Hmmm...I'm feeling a little unappreciative of the classics. :o) Somewhat depressing, but I still feel improved for having read it.
Vicki
Apr 22, 2008 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Only read "Mayor of Casterbridge." It has one of the most impressive and intricate plots I've read. I need to read more of his work.
Alexanne Stone
Oct 21, 2011 Alexanne Stone rated it it was amazing
Another of Hardy's best. Catches your attention and keeps it. I've read it several times and am never bored!
Norma
Nov 13, 2012 Norma rated it it was amazing
I really, totally, loved to read, listen and watch this novel. Not for nothing is a well known masterpiece.
Hannele
never give up on who you are, don't be intimidated or forced into being anything other than your best.
Chelsi
Apr 08, 2008 Chelsi rated it liked it
Glad to say I enjoyed the Mayor of Casterbridge and plan on reading Tess after the semester is over.
Kim
Jan 29, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing
A classic, yet tragic story. I love Tess, however I wish she'd grow a backbone! Love this story, though.
Bonnie
Mar 16, 2008 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Complete tragedy, amazing story that keeps you sucked in. I really enjoyed this book.
Melonie
Aug 01, 2012 Melonie rated it liked it
Story is a bit depressing to me.
Kevin
May 12, 2008 Kevin rated it did not like it
This is the worst book ever created.
  • Katherine Anne Porter: Collected Stories and Essays
  • The Oxford Companion to English Literature
  • The Tudor Age
  • Blood Brothers (Dragon Keeper, #4)
  • Classics of Horror: Dracula & Frankenstein
  • The Last Puritan: A Memoir in the Form of a Novel
  • The Birthmark and Other Stories
  • The Solitary Man
  • The Secret Rose: Love Poems by W.B. Yeats
  • David Copperfield: Charles Dickens' Classics (adapted)
  • Postmodern Theory
Thomas Hardy, OM, was an English author of the naturalist movement, although in several poems he displays elements of the previous romantic and enlightenment periods of literature, such as his facination with the supernatural. He regarded himself primarily as a poet and composed novels mainly for financial gain. The bulk of his work, set mainly in the semi-fictional land of Wessex, delineates char ...more
More about Thomas Hardy...

“Don't for God's sake speak as saint to sinner, but as you yourself to me myself - poor me!” 0 likes
“Once victim, always victim-that's the law.” 0 likes