Start by marking “Thomas Hardy: Tess of the D'Urbervilles; The Mayor of Casterbridge; Far from the Madding Crowd” as Want to Read:

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  728 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The quintessential Victorian novelist of unforgettable characters caught in their inescapable fates: with unfailing honesty and lyrical writing, Thomas Hardy captured his heroes' intimate relationship with the natural and social environment. Here are three of his finest works, presented in their entirety. Tess of the Durbervilles tells the tragic tale of a poor young girl' ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Chancellor Press (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Thomas Hardy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thomas Hardy

Charles
Jun 26, 2008 Charles rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone needing a good reminder that the sins are not necessarily signs of a sinful person.
Shelves: classics
One of many books back on my old High School English literature lists that I never read until my later adult years, Tess is the story of one girl and the fate thrust upon her by circumstances and morals she only understands after the events transpire. The challenge in this author (and many others from the same time period) is the use of words and phrases virtually unknown in this day and age (and that it is set in England tends to make it other-worldly for an American like me).

The book is an exc
Gale
“Penance for Past Sin “

Set in fictitious Casterbridge (Hardy’s beloved Dorchester), the story revolves around the web of deceit spun by pride and drink, with serious consequences 20 years later. Traveling by foot with his stoic wife and baby girl, hay-trusser Michael Henchard arrives in Weydon-Priors during its annual fair. Having drunk too much laced furmity he makes an astounding offer to those gathered in the tent: he will auction off the unvalued females to the highest bidder! Fate protect
JFN
I took a class in undergrad entirely devoted to the works of Hardy. It was an awesome class. Hats off to the professor, Shiela Burger, at UAlbany. I took that class 10 years ago, and I still think about it. I love how the landscape plays its own role in all of Hardy's works.

Far from the Madding Crowd
Not my fav of Hardy's works, but good to have read in the context of his other pieces.

Tess of the d'Urbervilles
I read this one while I was training around Europe in 1995. It's a heavy work. Sad and u
Justin Mitchell
Alright, I ate my literary vegetables for a while. They were good for me, though I didn't find them very tasty or titillating. Everyone says they're good for you, though, and will make you strong, but only as long as you supplement them with meatier fare.

In seriousness, I give two stars to Tess, four to Far From the Madding Crowd, and two to The Mayor of Casterbridge. While they all had their moments, only the second consistently engaged me, and featured characters I related to. Otherwise, I ju
Nina
University literature class started me on the road to Thomas Hardy. I tried to read all his books and writings. There is a big difference in the tone of the books from Far from the Madding Crwod to the Mayor of Casterbridge. The afore mentioned books have hope and a great story, with plot twists, clever writing and mystery. I even enjoyed returen of the Native, but his books grow increasingly dark. Jude the Obscure actually made me ill. Too dark and fatalistic. What is with these authors anyway. ...more
Mark Williams
Superb writing, tiresome protagonist.
Rhonda Hankins
i love all three of these novels. . .
CherylFaith Taylor
LOVE! I have read Hardy in the past, but I haven't for too long...Book was printed in Great Britain. Beautiful. I'm in the midst of a short story called, "The Three Strangers," which is one of the stories within the 108-page collection, called "Wessex Tales". I remember Hardy's British countryside; he wrote so descriptively - he enlivens and arouses my senses. (I lived in England's West Midlands for four years, but did not begin to truly appreciate my adventures until I found myself back home, s ...more
B J Burton
I bought the Delphi Classics edition. Delphi has made a good job of this production. The text is faithfully reproduced; the illustrations are crystal clear.
Navigating around a 'complete works' in ebook format can be a nightmare, but it's difficult to see what more could be done than Delphi has done here. The table of contents is very detailed.
If anyone wants to add the complete works of Thomas Hardy to their elibrary they can't do better than this and at £1.92 it’s a bargain.
Megan
Sandi
My favorite author of all time. I never miss the chance for a Thomas Hardy and have read Far From the Madding Crowd and The Return of the Native, twice. The best author and great humankind stories! Loved Jude the Obscure, The Mayor of Casterbridge, The Trumpet Major...on and on I could go. If you have not read these classics, go back and do so!
Hal
One of Hardy's enduring masterpieces. Hard to read this book without feeling pain.
Deb
So did you know a man in the 1800's could write a story that could inspire soap operas? Ok, maybe he didn't, but the story has some really nice juicy scandals. Yes, it is placed in rural England in the 1800's, but don't let that stop you from a really good story. & if you like scandalous stories, check out some of his other work too.
Amanda
One that I could have read in high school English class and I'm glad I didn't. I think I appreciated it much more as an adult, reading this of my own volition.

Thomas Hardy is one of favorite authors. I feel many of his themes are as relevant today as they were when he was writing.
Shannon
Okay, for some reason goodreads doesn't have just The Return of the Native which is the book I've read. I own and intend to read Far from the Madding Crowd. I loved Return of the Native. It's been many years since I read it, so my review can't be more insightful, sorry!
Goroma Umar
My favourite novel author whose style I want to take; characters always related to natural or rural things, paying every wrongdoing with equal deeds as a rule of fate. Thomas Hardy used poetic diction, his word sounding like bells clattering in harmonious beauty to the ears.
Liz Ferris
Right. I found this one in the school library. It's an American literary "classic". Victorian era love story ends, big surprise, tragically. I was impressed by neither the writing nor the plot. I figured it might be a Jeopardy category one day so I finished it.
Kristina Leonard
Gearing up to teach a brit lit novels class in 2011 and I'm reminded why I love Hardy---real characters, often tragically undone by their human frailties and Tess of the D'Urbervilles is still one of the greatest characters ever betrayed by the social class.
G
Tess is the heroine of tragedy for all times. As long as we celebrate God in His Heaven, we can overcome anything. This book stands out in my memory for the poignancy and dignity of suffering of the heroine. A classic to treasure for all times.
Ariella
When I can't find something to read - and many times there's nothing being published that measures up to Hardy - I go back to the old favories. They never disappoint!
Jan Strong
I do like Thomas Hardy, of these I like the Mayor of Casterbridge-Tess is just so hard at the end, Far from the Madding is very good too-movie very good
Lily Wittich
Depressing. Every last one of his stories made me want to cut myself. But once I started, I couldn't very well stop in the middle, could I?!
John Pendrey
Oct 27, 2013 John Pendrey is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I thrilled to, "The Imaginative Woman" - it's as I imagine Mills and Boon but I think it gives real insights into romance and into Hardy's life.
Jill
Hmmm...I'm feeling a little unappreciative of the classics. :o) Somewhat depressing, but I still feel improved for having read it.
Vicki
Only read "Mayor of Casterbridge." It has one of the most impressive and intricate plots I've read. I need to read more of his work.
Alexanne Stone
Another of Hardy's best. Catches your attention and keeps it. I've read it several times and am never bored!
Norma
I really, totally, loved to read, listen and watch this novel. Not for nothing is a well known masterpiece.
Hannele
never give up on who you are, don't be intimidated or forced into being anything other than your best.
Chelsi
Glad to say I enjoyed the Mayor of Casterbridge and plan on reading Tess after the semester is over.
  • Heart of the West
  • St. Mawr & The Man Who Died
  • The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Novels
  • Vera or the Nihilists
  • Women in Their Beds: New and Selected Stories
Thomas Hardy, OM, was an English author of the naturalist movement, although in several poems he displays elements of the previous romantic and enlightenment periods of literature, such as his facination with the supernatural. He regarded himself primarily as a poet and composed novels mainly for financial gain. The bulk of his work, set mainly in the semi-fictional land of Wessex, delineates char ...more
More about Thomas Hardy...
Tess of the D'Urbervilles Far from the Madding Crowd  Jude the Obscure The Mayor of Casterbridge The Return of the Native

“Once victim, always victim-that's the law.” 1 likes
“But what between the poor men I won’t have, and the rich men who won’t have me, I stand as a pelican in the wilderness!” 0 likes