Start by marking “Archaeology: A Very Short Introduction” as Want to Read:
Archaeology: A Very Short Introduction

Archaeology: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions #10)

This volume aims to reflect the enduring popularity of archaeology - a subject which appeals as a pastime, career, and academic discipline, encompasses the whole globe, and surveys 2.5 million years. From deserts to jungles, from deep caves to mountain tops, from pebble tools to satellite photographs, from excavation to abstract theory, archaeology interacts with nearly ...more
Published June 1st 2000 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 19th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Archaeology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Archaeology

Ahmad Sharabiani
Archaeology: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions #10), Paul G. Bahn, Bill Tidy (Illustrator)
عنوان: باستان شناسی؛ نویسنده: پل جی. بان؛ مترجم: کامیار عبدی؛ تهران، ماهی، 1394؛ در 165 ص؛ مصور؛ نمایه، کتابنامه از ص 159 تا 160، شابک: 9789642091089، موضوع: باستانشناسی قرن 21 م
Nikki
Apr 15, 2014 Nikki rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This was okay, but honestly? If you're interested in archaeology, watch out for the "Archaeology's Dirty Little Secrets" course to run again on Coursera. It covers a lot of the same issues, but in more depth, with more examples, and obviously with the chance to interact with a lot more people/opinions (even if you just watch the videos). The assignments help you focus on and get to grips with the techniques and discussions.

This book is... much more basic. It's very informal, often very personal
Cathy DuPont
While this was interesting, not sure I would depend on it if I dug as an amateur. But as a starter on the subject, it was ok.
Shobhna
Oct 12, 2010 Shobhna rated it did not like it
PLEASE don't use this as your beginner's guide to archaeology. I've read some of Bahn's Cambridge book on prehistoric art, and i thought that was a little unprofessional in tone, but this book certainly takes the cake. I cannot imagine why he was chosen to write the VSI to Archaeology, it's an utter travesty. It's petty, mean, immature, and hardly gives any relevant details to the field of archaeology for a beginner student or a lay person. PLEASE Avoid this book.
Sean
Jun 28, 2013 Sean rated it it was ok
Not the same quality as most of this series-- unattractively curmudgeonly.
André Shart
Muito mais adequado seria: Arqueologia: Uma Péssima Introdução.

Informal, partidário, repleto de dados históricos absurdamente irrelevantes e de trocadilhos e comentários igualmente desapropriados (que apenas servem para perpetuar conflitos entre diferentes escolas e, por conseguinte, denegrir a imagem da Arqueologia e daqueles que a praticam), ambíguo, sexista — enfim, o extremo oposto daquilo que se espera de um livro introdutório de carácter científico. Inclusive, podemos a dada altura pergun
Bonni
Jun 04, 2015 Bonni rated it it was amazing
This is honestly the greatest text book I have ever been required to buy! If I had known about these little books earlier, I would, most definitely, have read a lot more by now!
Paul Bahn is so fantastically hilarious and still incredibly informative in just 115 pages! I found myself smiling ridiculously at this book so many times, people must have thought I had hidden love letters in it. Not to mention how much he teaches you in this book! I learned about so many things I hadn't even considered
Liz De Coster
Dec 27, 2009 Liz De Coster rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This introduction was probably too short. The tone of the book was very informal, often gossipy, which I found detracted from the information being explained. Some ideas were left unexplained (e.g., the Terracotta Army was referenced twice but never described) while entire sections were devoted entirely to professional navel-gazing. I would have appreciated more information on archaeology in the sense of historical information, rather than details of the professional.
Sulaf
Jan 22, 2015 Sulaf rated it it was ok
A concise book on a very interesting subject, written, apparently, by a disgruntled teenager!!
I was really interested in the subject of the book, but didn't really care for the writing style. It did arouse my curiosity though, and I think I'd love to read further on archaeology in the future.
An Te
Oct 23, 2016 An Te rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: archaeology
Paul Bahn introduces archaeology ('speaking of things of old') to a wider audience with this book. It delivers small packets of information on the development of archaeology, how the discipline comes to assess technologies, how people lived, how people thought, settlement sizes, the ornate theories of how and why things changed through time and how this is all presented to the public so as to procure further funds in this vital endeavour.

I found the section on how and why things change quite int
Robin
Feb 13, 2014 Robin rated it did not like it
It's frightfully smashing that Bertie Wooster has written this very short introduction to archaeology. What-ho!

This is a weird book. I do NOT recommend that anyone read it as a first introduction to archaeology.

The tone is flip and silly. The author spends the first chapter saying there's too much being published in archaeology today, so much so that it is not even worth the space on library shelves. Then he says there aren't enough archaeologists to do the analysis. He ends the chapter by pooh-
Laurel Bradshaw
I love the subject of archaeology, and have often thought I probably should have been an archaeologist. But this book was a bit disappointing really. I would have preferred less of the flip comments about the theories and politics of the field, and the dangers of feminism, and more about the field itself, such as "a day in the life of an archaeologist", an overview of important discoveries, and famous archaeologists. I did like some of the discussion on the problems of dealing with indigenous ...more
M. Ashraf
Apr 26, 2016 M. Ashraf rated it it was ok
Shelves: vsi
It is an O.K but I don't think it offers anything new.
I thought it would focus more on ancient Egypt but it didn't and it kept jumping to different parts of the world and eras.
It is very short and you can feel the writer's passion through the lines but I felt it all over the place, the cartoons are good though :p

history is not a catalogue but a version of events.

Archaeology is a perpetual search, never really a finding; it is an eternal
journey, with no true arrival. Everything is tentative, n
Cole Blouin
Jun 16, 2013 Cole Blouin rated it really liked it
It was very informational as to how Archeology actually works. I was hoping more for a history of Archeology (and the discoveries associated with it) over time, which it does mention throughout the book. That's more of my fault than the books', though, and it is highly informational about the nature of this subject. For someone who knows nothing about it, it could be quite an educational experience to read it.
Adrianna Scibor
Apr 12, 2016 Adrianna Scibor rated it really liked it
This book is just like it is presented: a great introduction to Archaeology! When I decided to delve into archaeology I also bought this book along with some of the more in-depth texts my professor assigned. This book really helped when reading about the origins of archaeology, dating things, how people lived, their settlements, and societies, how archaeology has changed over the centuries, also the funny illustrations scattered throughout the book are quite amusing.
Daniel Wright
Dec 09, 2014 Daniel Wright rated it really liked it
Shelves: vsi, archaeology
A remarkably entertaining introduction. Since the scope of the subject is so vast, and the available space is so small, the author chooses to discuss the discipline itself, using only a few judicious examples.
Oswald
Sep 27, 2008 Oswald rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: archeologists!
If I would ever stop teaching, then I would probably become an archeologist. Reading this book only made me want to dig even more.
Darlene
Jun 04, 2012 Darlene rated it liked it
Interesting discussion of the issues involved in studying ancient history. Amusingly opinionated author.
Maya
Jun 12, 2013 Maya rated it liked it
His tone was a bit snarky and at times funny, the book is exactly as it says - A Very Short Introduction. The Further Reading section was my favourite of the whole book though...
Lee Broderick
Jan 06, 2012 Lee Broderick rated it really liked it
Shelves: archaeology
This book does a fair job in covering what archaeologists do, why and how they do it and for how long they've done it. What more could you ask for from such a small book?
David Shakespeare
Apr 12, 2013 David Shakespeare rated it really liked it
Clear, succinct, and entertaining, with good examples and a persuasive argument. Recommended as an introduction for people with no knowledge of the field.
Johanne
Great little book - concise, precise, goes into just enough details to wet a beginner's curiosity, and offers further readings suggestions at the end. A quick, easy/readable, read. I liked it!
Aainaa Sofiyah
Apr 21, 2016 Aainaa Sofiyah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly found this enjoyable! Very short but managed to cover a lot more that I expected. Also did not expect to find as much humour as I did!
Annie
Apr 04, 2016 Annie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-school
Found the first half really enjoyable then when discussing gendered archaeology and repatriation the author's sexism and problematic attitude made me unable to give this book a higher rating.
Howard
Aug 07, 2015 Howard rated it liked it
Shelves: vsi
Informative and quite entertaining. The bit about feminist archaeology is the classic "men-are-being-ignored" sentiment, but the rest of it makes an interesting read.
Nicci Frederick
Nicci Frederick rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2009
Nathan Jeffryes
Nathan Jeffryes rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2016
Michle
Michle rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
  • Islam: A Very Short Introduction
  • Darwin: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Tudors: A Very Short Introduction
  • Evolution: A Very Short Introduction
Dr. Paul G. Bahn is a leading archaeological writer, translator, and broadcaster in the field of archaeology.
More about Paul G. Bahn...

Very Short Introductions (1 - 10 of 449 books)
  • A Very Short Introduction to Everything
  • Psychology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Islam: A Very Short Introduction
  • Politics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Theology: A Very Short Introduction

“It would be ironic for an archaeologist to catch something nasty from the past, perhaps the ultimate in experimental archaeology!” 0 likes
“it is likewise hard to imagine an early farmer announcing to his neighbours: ‘I just want to warn you that, as from the next full moon, I intend to assume the powers of leader, and transform our cosy little segmentary society into a modern, thrusting chiefdom at the cutting edge of progress.” 0 likes