Darkside (Darkside, #1)

Darkside (Darkside #1)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  10 reviews
James Decker just won’t stay dead. Slain while rescuing a young woman from a would-be rapist, he finds himself in a pseudo-life, caught between two realities, belonging to neither.

Haunted by the ghosts of his father and grandfather, he learns that the woman he rescued is in fact an Innocent, the physical embodiment of hope. As it turns out, seeing dead people is the least...more
ebook
Published (first published March 31st 2011)

Storm Front by Jim ButcherDead Beat by Jim ButcherChanges by Jim ButcherTurn Coat by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy non romance/action
132nd out of 164 books — 179 voters
Against The Tide by John F. HanleyThe Last Boat by John F. HanleyTwilight by Stephenie MeyerGet Clean by Jams N. RosesSavvy by Ingrid Law
Best 1st Person Books
14th out of 18 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Lyndon
Darkside isn't that dark, really. In fact, the novel, if not exactly light, is quite witty, fast-paced, and seriously genre-bending. The story is about a guy named James Decker who dies in the process of saving a young woman from being attacked. But he finds that he really isn't dead...well, sort of.

From the blurb:
Haunted by the ghosts of his father and grandfather, [James Decker] learns that the woman he rescued is in fact an Innocent, the physical embodiment of hope. As it turns out, seeing...more
Albert
Overall Feedback: Perry delivers and absolutely hilarious paranormal/urban fantasy/adventure all rolled into one. This is a non stop page-turning, rip-roaring adventure that begs for your attention and takes you into the perfect fantasy. Go ahead and take the chance. No regrets here I promise.

Point of View: Perry does great with showing you the world he created from Decker's side.

Voice: The humor is what will keep you going. The paranormal will keep you thinking. The adventure will stop your bre...more
Beau
While not entirely original, the story is fast-paced and interesting. James Decker is an Eternal (this part is definitely original), a creature which cannot truly die. He runs into the typical cohorts of fairies, vamps, shapeshifters and the sort, both friendly and not so friendly. There is a generous amount of humor thrown in with the action, which was refreshing. I have also read the second book, which is just as entertaining. I look forward to continuing the adventure.
Jaime Moyer
DARKSIDE by SKS Perry is a wonderful book. Perry has written a bright and funny fantasy, full of sharp witty dialogue and characters I found likeable and endearing. This book has heart and deserves a much wider audience.

Urban fantasy fans, readers who enjoy a good paranormal love story, and those who like a blend of humor and adventure will all find what they're looking for in DARKSIDE.

Rarely has a book made me laugh so much and care about the characters as deeply as DARKSIDE. Buy this book and...more
Susan
Caveat; I know the author, at least as well as anyone knows everyone across the Internet. Sometimes knowing someone it is actually harder to write a review. That kind of don't step on any toes attitude.
But I can honestly say I enjoyed this story. It was funny in places, witty and face-paced and obviously well-researched.
I found myself smiling and egging the heroes on, exactly as I should.
I also finished it and bought Darkside 2 straight away. I can understand why this author has fans across the...more
Jeremy
Aug 30, 2011 Jeremy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of "Shawn of the Dead"
I loved this book!
The voice is well writen and the dialoge is witty and fast. I was chuckling most of the time. The action is also very well writin and could easly visualize it. I look forward to reading more books by S.K.S Perry.
Dee Anne
I absolutely loved this book and Darside: Waking the Dead. He is a terribly funny, witty, sarcastic writer and the action kept me reading. I hope to find my reading material by SKS Perry.
Nick
A great fun read. Inventive style and plenty to laugh at. I am looking forward to the sequel, just got to find it
♔ Marli ♔
Rarely that a book made me laugh so much and care about the characters as deeply as DARKSIDE. Excellent!
Stephine Yoshikawa
Hilarious! Really entertaining read.
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Brayli Wagner
Brayli Wagner marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Kitty
Kitty marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Jitendra Kaku
Jitendra Kaku marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Gupi
Gupi marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Teo
Teo marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Kenzie Meyer
Kenzie Meyer marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Robert Garland
Robert Garland marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Abaas
Abaas marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
S.K.S. Perry is the Canadian author of Darkside and Darkside: Waking the Dead, and is hard at work on the third novel in the series. When not writing, he is currently a Sgt in his 30th year of service with the Royal Canadian Air Force.

He has a lovely, supportive wife and two well-adjusted kids who have absolutely no fodder to sue him or write a tell-all book should he become wildly famous.
More about S.K.S. Perry...
Darkside: Waking the Dead (Darkside, #2) Harbinger Picture This