Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,176 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Treasury of 70 poems remarkable for lyricism, subtlety, deep emotion and intense perception expressed with a unique diction and imaginative power. "The Darkling Thrush," "Hap," "The Ruined Maid," "The Convergence of the Twain," "Ah, Are You Digging on My Grave?," "I Look into My Glass" and many more.
Expected publication: December 16th 2015 by Dover Publications (first published December 1st 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Nicole
Dec 06, 2007 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like poetry and or Hardy's novels
I know a little too much about Thomas Hardy, thanks to a college seminar on his life and work. It's my humble opinion that some of Hardy's poetry is genius, like Neutral Tones. Much of his poetry is heavy with regret, memory, bleakness, mourning, and lots of other profound emotions. There are some happier poems, but don't read Hardy for a pep talk on love or human nature.

I am particularly drawn to his poetry about war (what my senior paper was all about), and recommend you read "Poems of War and
Mike Lindgren
A stunning, life-altering revelation. I had been aware since my undergraduate days of Hardy's second career as a poet -- one of the strangest in the history of English letters -- and the nearly fanatical devotion he engendered among readers of a certain stripe, without ever having made the effort to penetrate the mystery of his verse. The wait has been richly rewarded. As many other critics have noted, Hardy wrote some of the weirdest verse imaginable; Robert Mezey, in his cheerleader-ly introdu ...more
Pierre
Whilst no one could doubt Hardy's importance as a novelist, it seems that many modern readers forget that he was also an excellent poet. At times strange, at others formal and traditional, there's always a unique beauty to many of his poems. I highly recommend the Penguin Classics edition of his 'Selected Poetry', edited by Robert Mezey. Mezey's unabashed love and admiration of Hardy makes reading his poetry all the more enjoyable.

AFTERWARDS BY THOMAS HARDY

When the Present has latched its post
Ed
While I haven't actually finished this book, one is never really done with a book of poetry. This is a decent collection with all the "Poems of 1912-1913" from "Satires of Circumstance" included.

Hardy as a poet is very different from Hardy as a novelist, the way most of us know him. His poems are almost invariably short, some are beautifully ambiguous, others as direct and clear as lightning across the night sky, a few are playful ("The Ruined Maid"). A few are famous, like "Channel Firing" and
Gregory Knapp
One of the great poets in English -- but definitely a "glass half-empty" sort of guy.

The jacket copy for the Oxford World's Classics paperback puts it nicely: "His verse touches all the common themes of existence: birth, childhood, love, marriage, ageing, death. If his age brings anything to them, it is an old man's ironic, elegiac sense that hopes are likely to be defeated and losses sustained, and that the world was not designed for human happiness."

Well . . . that's certainly one point of vi
Patrick Gibson
This is my second volume of Hardey's poems. I picked it up because it contains a few not published previously. I love Hardey's novels and his poetry has the same Victorian wordiness. Never boring. Often full of subtext he was unable to overtly expose in his day.

"Between us now and here—
Two thrown together
Who are not wont to wear
Life’s flushest feather—

Who see the scenes slide past,
The daytimes dimming fast,
Let there be truth at last,
Even if despair.

So thoroughly and long
Have you now known me,
So
Steve
I got curious about Hardy's poetry after a discussion on Slate regarding the poem, The Darkling Thrush. Hardy's definitely a melancholic poet, most concerned with the darker, bleaker side of life, and writes beautiful poems in that manner. It's been too long since I last read a poet who uses established meter and rhyme, let alone a poet who employs them so well. There's much to ponder over in reading Hardy's work and I found this book to be a good introduction.
Christopher Boerdam
Thomas Hardy was a prolific poet, and wading through his collected works would take a lot of time and dedication. Paulin's selection is a perfect introduction to Hardy's work, and I am grateful to have someone do all the hard work for me. Paulin has kept the Hardy favourites, but also included some amazing poems I have never encountered before. I would be surprised if anyone finished this selection without having formed the conviction that Hardy was a master of his craft.
Erika RS
Oh how I love Thomas Hardy's writing! I just finished reading Selected Poems, a book I had picked up at a little museum in Dorsetshire during a trip for the class I took on Dickens and Hardy. I had read some of the poems before, but never all through. Hardy does an excellent job of describing various aspects of life. He manages to do this in a rhythm I understand, something not all poetry does.
Mona Desai
Hardy is better known for his novels, but quickly became my favorite poet upon my first exposure to him in this compilation in a class my freshman year at Pomona. Soem poems touch upon a personal level, others just reach me for some inexplicable reason, and all are beautifully written. Hardy more than any poet has influenced my writing, and this compilation is a great introduction to his work.
Caroline
I read this collection in college and have kept it all these years. I really prefer Hardy's poetry to his prose. The story goes that he was a poet who wrote novels to make money to pay for his wife's mental illness, etc. The poetry is lovely, written in the latter part of his life, and mostly about his then-deceased wife.
Taylor
Excellent selection of Hardy's work. Balancing both the dark and the light sides of the emotions. Hardy cuts deep in an way that makes it hard to put down, it draws you in and touches you with a chilling sadness and depth of emotion. Classic Hardy. Love this book. Hate this book. It depresses and inspires me.
Lia
Hardy's poems are really a mixed bag for me. Some of them are wonderful. Some don't really work. When I was a student, I read that the reason he wrote poetry in his later years was because of the violent reception of Jude the Obscure (it was publicly burned by many a religious zealot).
eliza
Hardy's verse takes shit but I wouldn't change him. However I DO think he may have killed his wife, give the deeply redundant and eulogistic Tell Tale Heart-esque paranoia about his lyrical grieving...
Teri
Apr 04, 2012 Teri marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Teri by: Natasha Solomons
Shelves: to-read-fiction
It looks like this edition contains the poems from 1912-1913. If I am not mistaken, those are what are referred to as the Emma poems. The author Natasha Solomons mentioned those as favorites.
Scroutch
Wow. I never thought Thomas Hardy would be such an awesome poet. "Channel Firing" is the shit and so are quite a few others. Now I've really got to read Jude the Obscure...
Marc Latham
Some nice poems, thoughts and references, but seem a little dated for my tastes.

My favourite was the last one 'The Whitewashed Wall', which struck home on first reading.
S.j. Hirons
He's like one of those elderly relatives of whom you say, "He's a miserable git, but that's why we love him".
'The Convergence Of The Twain' remains one of my favourites.
Ellee
Hardy's poetry is some of the best I've read all year. A little bit melancholy, but not overly self-pitying or melodramatic. Good stuff. Definitely recommend it!
Spencer
Hardy's poems and short stories came just before the Victorian Era tried to destroy all that is good and right in literature. As such, it is pretty good.
matt

I LOVE some of his poetry, the sound the meter the beautifully rendered bleakness....

"The Darkling Thrush" sweeps me away every single time.
Andrea
I haven't developed general opinion on his poetry. There were poems that, while reading, touched me but then didn't stick in my memory.
Beth
So melancholy! I'm glad this was only a selection instead of the complete works. I like Hardy, but after a while he is just depressing.
Moira Russell
I would say he was one of the greatest English poets, if he hadn't inflicted THE DYNASTS upon blameless future generations.
Risa
Hardy's Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions) by Thomas Hardy (1995)
 Barb Bailey
Wow, Hardys poems are a little dark, but some are also beautifully done.
Andy
Thomas Hardy is a joke. How can anyone take this morbid stuff seriously?
Michael
Mostly ok, but a few very brilliant and very moving moments.
Ellie
I love Hardy's novels but he is also a truly great poet.
David
I find Hardy's poems much better than his short stories.
  • Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems (Dover Thrift Editions)
  • The Collected Poems
  • Selected Poetry
  • Selected Poetry
  • The Temple: The Poetry of George Herbert
  • The Works of William Wordsworth (Wordsworth Collection)
  • The Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins
  • Selected Poems
  • Coleridge's Poetry and Prose (Critical Edition)
  • The Complete Poems and Major Prose
  • Great Sonnets
  • The Palm at the End of the Mind: Selected Poems and a Play
Thomas Hardy, OM, was an English author of the naturalist movement, although in several poems he displays elements of the previous romantic and enlightenment periods of literature, such as his facination with the supernatural. He regarded himself primarily as a poet and composed novels mainly for financial gain. The bulk of his work, set mainly in the semi-fictional land of Wessex, delineates char ...more
More about Thomas Hardy...
Tess of the D'Urbervilles Far from the Madding Crowd  Jude the Obscure The Mayor of Casterbridge The Return of the Native