Leave No Stone Unturned: A Lexie Starr Mystery Novel

Leave No Stone Unturned: A Lexie Starr Mystery Novel (Lexie Starr Mystery #1)

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Lexie Starr, a widowed library assistant, accidently discovers her new son-in-law, Clay Pitt, may be guilty of murdering his first wife.
Then Lexie's daughter, Wendy, is abducted.
Vowing to bring Wendy home and unravel the truth about Clay, Lexie comes face-to-face with Clay's psychotic mother, a foul-mouthed parrot, a bad-tempered detective, a feisty old B&B proprieto...more
Paperback, Large Print, 301 pages
Published January 1st 2009 by Wheeler Publishing (first published May 1st 2008)

Lisa
It had been a long time since I'd read a mystery novel, so I was excited to see a free Nook book of this genre. The story was engaging and easy to follow, and the eclectic mix of characters added to the journey.

So, why did I give a three-star rating? First, and more importantly, I found that I had to suspend belief more times than necessary. Second, I was very disappointed that Lexie needed to rely on a man, one with no ties to the incident, to progress in the case. It would have been more power...more
Linda
The initial interest in Leave No Stone Unturned was that Lexie worked in a library as a volunteer. I could relate to her work and the fact that she was from the Midwest - Kansas. The story shows a female character willing and capable of taking action to research her son-in-law's involvement in his first wife's death. Lexie travels from her home to Schenectady, NY to investigate. All of Ms. Glidewell's characters are unique, even including the pet parrot with the foul mouth. Her antics were often...more
Cindy Barnett
Fun, interesting with no gratuitous anything. Made me laugh out loud. Like this series, all are stand-alone & TTS-enabled. Author's other novels have 'opinion-differences' for Christian tastes. But this one aligns as well as any not labeled Christian.
Moondance
Should I warn my daughter that her husband could be a murderer, or go home and file my nails while I sip on a cup of strong coffee?

Lexie Starr is a retired librarian and has discovered that her new son in law is the main suspect in his first wife's murder. She decides to go to the scene of the crime to learn more about it. Lexie concocts a story about going to SC to meet a man she has found online. Stone, the gentleman in question, is a jeweler she located to replace a charm bracelet she started...more
Bexx
I found the first few sentences of this book almost unreadable, but the author quickly finds her voice and settles into a more fluid writing style. I developed a real affinity for the main character but a few minor inconsistencies in the plot made it hard for me to relax and enjoy the book fully. It is obvious that the author is unfamiliar with the East Coast. Having lived in both Boston and NYC ( both of which are visited in the book) I found the descriptions of driving and parking in and aroun...more
Cassie
I was torn between 3 and 4 stars on this book, but decided on three because I gave some Agatha Christie books 4 stars and this doesn't really measure up. I got this on a Free Book Friday from Barnes & Noble and I'm glad I didn't purchase it. It was a good light, fluffy, and entertaining read but I don't think there is a whole lot to say about it. The characters are likable and the writing was good. The story wasn't very complex and followed a standard linear murder mystery template. I don't...more
Shirley Worley
Lexie had unwittingly discovered an unsettling secret about her not-so-adorable new son-in-law; his first wife, pregnant with their first child, was murdered and he was a prime suspect. Unsure of how to approach her daughter with this startling news, Lexie decides to uncover as much about the old case as possible, in hopes that her gut feeling is wrong. In New York she partners with an internet friend (Stone) who happens to be an officer in South Carolina, and together they sleuth to bring clues...more
Stephanie
I wanted to like this book, I loved Harriet. What made it hard for me that a nearly 50yo would have such a sheltered life that when she came across piercings that it was a shock to her, or that with her traveling all over The United States and to Europe that she would not be able to handle the lifestyles of other people. For what sounded like a great mystery I was very disappointed in the characters.
Kristi
A cute, fun read. The main character is an older woman who believes her new son in law killed his last wife. She decides to do some investigating on her own and that's how you meet all these quirky characters. I thought it was pretty good. Its one of those books you read when you don't want to get too sucked in to a book. I'd read the rest of the series.
Anie
This was a free ebook from Amazon. Just goes to prove that you get what you pay for. Plot is predictable and unbelievable. People simply do not behave that way. Could have been written by a 12 year old and should not be read by anyone older than 11. I gave it a good try, read almost half of it, but could not waste any more time on it.
Marti
Again, if a murder mystery can be amusing, this is. Lexie Starr is a rather ditsy widow with a married daughter. She finds out that her son in law may have killed his first wife and their unborn child. She meets a friendly widower who helps her research the facts. There is much moving around from one locale to another. Harriet, the woman who runs the B&B in Schenectady, is quite amusing, but there is a little too much coincidence here and there.
Toni Armalius
I needed a change in book scenery so to speak and this a pleasant change. I love the characters. I love the setting. Well written, and I am now on book #3. The main character is awesome. Great read, would recommend this to friends.
Catherine
This was a "Free Friday" selection back in January. It was a fun, quick read and I'd read more of the series (not that I need to start another series)! I thought I had it figured out, but there was a twist at the end - the mark of a good mystery!
Melanie
This was a cute little mystery story. The characters were fun and I loved how the author wrapped things up quickly at the ending. I hate how so many mystery writers take a long time with the ending after they have revealed "whodunit".
Janet
Like many others have commented, I had to suspend my disbelief at Lexie's actions. Too many of the characters are stereotypes...from the nice-looking and wonderful widower to the owner of the B&B to the rude detective to the bumbling naive idiot sheriff to the son-in-law. My copy included an excerpt from bok 2 in this series and I can already see that I will not be continuing.
D.L. Williams
I very much like the characters in this book. The story was interesting, it kept you guessing. I also liked the writing style of the author. I will read others by Jeanne Glidewell.
Leni Rayburn
She started with a good premise, but her folksy style bothered me a bit. It was entertaining, another free Friday Nook book, not complaining. I was disappointed at the main character's weakness, lying when the truth would have served her better & her reliance on an unrelated man. In the climax she seems to turn into superwoman - out of character, however satisfying.
Janice
Just eh. It's very Sookie/Stephanie Plumish as in the main character does stupid things and doesn't get hurt, caught or reprimanded. I didn't find the main character endearing...just annoying. I'm glad it was a freebie from B&N's free Fridays.
Jean
Nook Free Friday book. The breezy writing was engaging, but as the story progressed into more and more preposterousness, I just kept thinking, really?
Andrea Stoeckel
This was a fast read and i enjoyed it very much. I lived in the area its set in, so there was an extra hook for me. Lexie Starr's stumbles on information about her new son-in-law. Fearing for her daughter she heads to his hometown to further explore Clay's past, connecting with a widower who meets her there to help in the search.

Yes, the characters need a hit of polish, hiwever, it is a great cozy
Jeannette
This book is funny, romantic and has a mystery too. A fun quick read that had me laughing out loud at times.
Linda Smatzny
This is the first book in the Lexie Starr Mystery series. The main character, Lexie Starr, is a mother from Kansas who believes her new son-in-law murdered his first wife. Lexie decides to go to Schenectady, New York to find out all the details of the murder. Most of the book seems to go along with the premise of the son-in-law being the murderer. It was an easy quick read.
Carrie Garza
Another mystery writer with a series. And it is worth reading. Lexi Starr makes a pretty good detective. She comes across an article that makes her think her son in law might have murdered his first wife, and she sets off to New York to solve a murder. And she does. No sex and no foul language.
Eliza
I probably will put spoilers. It was okay (a solid read), but the main charactor was so set on her own answers that nothing anyone said would change her mind about the person she thought was guilty.
Portia
This was a light but good read. It was fairly typical for a murder mystery, but the characters were fun and I enjoyed reading it.
Jan
This was a "fast-paced, cozy mystery"... a quick read...not really gripping or scary enough for me.. might be a good mystery to get a young reader interested in mysteries. ...

Lexie is a middle aged widow (48) who volunteers at a library. While doing some research, she discovers that her recently married only child, Wendy, may be married to a murderer. Lexie sets off on her own to find out the truth about her son-in-law's past, meeting a few interesting characters on her way. A predictable story...more
Susan
Widowed Lexie Starr has never really cared for her new son-in-law Clay. When she finds his name in an old newspaper article as a suspect in the death of his first wife, she's afraid her daughter-in-law is at risk. She takes a covert visit to his home town and learns a lot about his background that she hadn't known, and also starts to develop a relationship with a handsome stranger. I enjoyed Lexie's narration, but sloppy research methods (especially from a volunteer librarian) are one of my bete...more
George
Very easy entertaining read.
Gail Hinson
I really enjoyed this one.
Momharper
This was a good Free Nook Friday story. The story line was great, but some of the parts were unbelievable.
  • Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)
  • Sins of the Father
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • Head To Head (Claire Morgan #1)
  • Love Thy Neighbor
  • All He Saw Was The Girl
  • The Tycoon and the Texan
  • Meet the Annas: A Musical Novel
  • The Grave Gourmet (Capucine Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • Bear is Broken
  • From the Ashes
  • Black Creek Burning (Black Creek, #1)
  • By Design
  • The Hunt
  • The Seduction of Emily
  • The Crime of Julian Wells
  • Dead Politician Society: A Clare Vengel Undercover Novel
  • Sacred Treason (Clarenceux, #1)
(from author's website)

Jeanne Glidewell, a 2006 pancreas and kidney transplant recipient, and her husband, Robert, reside in the small Kansas town of Bonner Springs. Prior to moving back home to Kansas they owned a large RV Park in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Besides writing, she enjoys fishing, gardening, and wildlife photography. She volunteers her time as a Life Mentor for the Gift of Life Program, talk...more
More about Jeanne Glidewell...
The Extinguished Guest (A Lexie Starr Mystery, #2) Haunted (A Lexie Starr Mystery, #3) Soul Survivor Just Ducky (A Lexie Starr Mystery, #5) The Spirit of the Season (a Lexie Starr Mystery, Novella)