Start by marking “God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation” as Want to Read:
God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation

God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  690 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews

This updated edition of Köstenberger and Jones's acclaimed work tackles the latest challenges to God's plan for the home and urges a return to a biblical foundation.

The release of the landmark first edition of God, Marriage, and Family provided an integrated, biblical treatment of God's purposes for the home. Since then, explain authors Andreas Köstenberger and David Jo

Paperback, 2nd, 399 pages
Published May 1st 2010 by Crossway Books (first published November 11th 2004)

Paul
Dec 01, 2010 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daniel Akin, President of Southeastern Theological Seminary says this in his forward, "Perhaps more books ought to be written by a biblical scholar in collaboration with Christian ethicists who have a special interest in and love for marriage and family.
I have found this book to be excellent as it approaches marriage and family from the biblical standard and provides wonderful practical application for contemporary marriages and families.
Mike E.
Nov 18, 2011 Mike E. rated it liked it
Shelves: marriage
This book would make a good gift to a married couple.

It is comprehensive and thoroughly biblical. The strength of the book is that it is fair in presenting competing views on various issues--like parenting philosophies, the use/non-use of birth control, the permissibility of divorce and remarriage, homosexuality, etc.

Chapter eight is the best chapter in the book. It includes excellent and practical help for parenting--especially teens. For example the authors list seven signs of spiritual maturi
Matthew
Jan 27, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The 2nd edition of God, Marriage, and Family by Andreas Kostenberger (first edition was published in 2004) adds several sections to this jam-packed theology book on all things family as the challenges to the Bible in these areas continue to change quickly. God’s Word hasn’t changed on these topics, but the ways in which believers must apply the Word is becoming increasingly confusing these days. Homosexuality, for example, is gaining acceptance even among many in the church, many using the Bible ...more
Mark A Powell
Mar 05, 2014 Mark A Powell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marriage and family life (including children, singleness, divorce, and homosexuality) are examined thoroughly. Kostenberger and Jones do solid exegetical research, developing a biblical theology of family, though minor quibbles remain. The inference that homosexuality is reducible to choice, for example. Certainly homosexual acts are a choice (and undeniably sinful) yet homosexual desires may not be chosen at all—who among us chooses all our temptations? Slight grievances aside, this is a worthw ...more
Micah Lugg
Jun 21, 2012 Micah Lugg added it
Shelves: marriage, family
Kostenberger has served the modern church well by his work in this volume. Consisting of 14 well-crafted chapters, the book carefully and wisely addresses the major issues regarding marriage and family. The second edition has some helpful additions that include a section on parenting teens and various sections that interact with the current debate of various issues.

Also very helpful is the chapter he added entitled, "God, Marriage, Family, and the Church: Learning to Be the Family of God." In th
John
Jan 25, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This is a good, comprehensive study on what the Bible says about marriage, singleness, children, divorce, homosexuality, birth control, parenting, and the church. It covers a lot of ground at a high level, but the list of works references and the resources listed at the end shows that Kostenberger has done his research. He draws conclusions that many will not agree with, but conservative Christians will not likely be surprised by many of his conclusions.

I especially appreciated his explanation
Joe
Nov 28, 2008 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pastors and laity alike
For the first 6 chapters of this book, Kostenberger isn't writing an opinion piece, rather, he's presenting in systematic fashion what Scripture says about marriage and family. There are few who approach the task he seeks to accomplish with greater skill than Kostenberger, and the result is a solid, Scripturally based overview of God's design for marriage and family.

While he doesn't depart from his Scriptural foundation in the later chapters, he doesn't begin with them, rather, he takes on conte
Guillaume Bourin
Feb 02, 2015 Guillaume Bourin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A careful analysis touching on marriage from the standpoint of Biblical Theology. Comprehensive and useful volume. I have read the second edition (2010), with includes several extra materials.
Shannon
Jan 30, 2011 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With the plethora of purportedly biblical views on marriage and family circulating through churches today, I was feeling a bit confused. Kostenberger's book looked like a good tool for clarification, and it was. I highly recommend it to any adult who wants to know what the Bible says about many of the issues surrounding marriage and family. Truth is stated clearly and firmly without vilifying opposing views. In the many issues addressed, he takes care to state what the Bible says without going b ...more
Jonathan
Dec 28, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
The writing was kind of dry and they didn't go as deep as I wanted, but for it was, it was quite good.
Nathan Moore
Feb 09, 2014 Nathan Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful. The best treatment of Marriage and Family I'm aware of.
John
Feb 24, 2014 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great volume on the topic of God, Marriage, and the Family. Andrea Kostenberger gives a through treatment on the subjects of family and marriage including topics and issues directly related to both. Highly recommend this book to both those who are married as well as single people and definitely to those in pastoral ministry or those pursuing pastoral ministry. My wife and I enjoyed walking through this as a couple and it certainly encouraged us.
Sean-david
Feb 26, 2014 Sean-david rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relationships
Excellent.
Chris
Oct 05, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church, theology, family
Very comprehensive survey of all the Bible says about marriage and family. Does not always delve into the details and struggles with those who would disagree with a "traditional" family. However, the research is clearly there and one can simply looking up the valuable resources in the massive bibliography, which is almost half of the pagination.
Lindsay Kennedy
Apr 21, 2011 Lindsay Kennedy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Comprehensive and Biblically-based approach on the topics of Marriage, family, children, gender roles, etc. Unlike many books full of pragmatism influenced by current trends, this title aims to be as Biblically founded as possible - thus filling a unique and sadly neglected role in the church today, and recommended as such.
Michael
Jun 18, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good overview of what Marriage is and isn't and how to live as a husband or wife from a purely Biblical standpoint to honor God and give Him all the glory. I hope someday if I do get married to do just that; but even more so, I pray my wife to be will know God more intimately because of our relationship.
Rob Blake
Jan 23, 2012 Rob Blake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book about marriage & family issues according to God's design. Solid exegesis giving the biblical basis for the topics discussed & covers many of the difficult issues that many books gloss over or leave out entirely. I have made this the book for my pre-marriage & marriage counseling sessions.
Rick Hogaboam
Jul 23, 2013 Rick Hogaboam rated it it was amazing
Reading through yet a second time. An almost must-have in every Christian home for reference. It's fairly exhaustive as a systematic treatment of the family based on Scripture. It also serves as a thorough apologetic for a complementarian vision of gender and marriage.
Jonathan
Nothing particularly profound or new here. It's just a collection of everything you'd expect from a conservative Baptist. (I don't use that label pejoratively.) I honestly have no idea why the author felt that this book was needed.
Garrett Starr
Apr 16, 2014 Garrett Starr rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic read and a great tool for equipping Christians with the biblical worldview through which they can respond to the cultural issues assaulting the God-ordained institutions of covenant marriage and the family.
Ben Nasmith
May 30, 2012 Ben Nasmith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written and researched book on biblical marriage. I found it very helpful and refreshing to read a book on this topic that held a measure of academic credibility that many opinion/advise books seem to lack.
Dan
Jun 20, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource, tremendously helpful: coherent, comprehensive survey of marriage and family themes and issues through Scripture without being tedious or laborious. Refreshing and edifying.
Matt Mason
Apr 27, 2012 Matt Mason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Takes a while to plow through it. And the footnotes are BRUT.AL. But, when it's all over, there's not another book like it for comprehensive biblical and pastoral treatments of the topics.
Paul
Sep 12, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
Kostenberger has some amazing insight, as usual.
This book is great as a book shelf resource. Not really meant for a sit-down-read-thru.
Job Dalomba
Feb 26, 2013 Job Dalomba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic. A must read. Kostenberger is such a great and convincing writer that even when I disagree with him I'm edifies.
High Pointe Baptist Church
Heavily theological but clearly practical; will be challenging but definitely useful for personal study, possibly group study
Seth Channell
Jul 15, 2015 Seth Channell rated it really liked it
Great resource. Argues that marriage should be marked by complementarity.
Sharon
Reiterates what you think you know. It's always nice to know you had it right.
Rob
Oct 11, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it
What a great book. A biblical theology of marriage and family.
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know
  • Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • Reforming Marriage
  • Peacemaking for Families
  • What Did You Expect?: Redeeming the Realities of Marriage
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • Biblical Eldership: An Urgent Call to Restore Biblical Churc
  • Evangelical Feminism and Biblical Truth: An Analysis of More Than 100 Disputed Questions
  • When Sinners Say "I Do": Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage
  • Gospel-Powered Parenting, How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
  • Total Church: A Radical Reshaping Around Gospel and Community
  • Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry
  • Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon
  • Vintage Church: Timeless Truths and Timely Methods

“leading unbelievers to Christ is a greater cause than insisting on justice in human relationships. Believers are to defer their craving for justice until the last day, trusting God as Jesus did” 0 likes
“Our sex does not merely determine the form of our sex organs but is an integral part of our entire being.” 0 likes