Saturday Night Peter: Memoirs of a Stand-Up Comedian

Saturday Night Peter: Memoirs of a Stand-Up Comedian

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  547 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Picking up from where Peter's massive bestselling autobiography The Sound of Laughter left off, Saturday Night Peter charts the hilarious journey his career took as he developed and honed his comedy skills by taking to the road and trying out his stand up material in pubs and clubs across the country. Each Saturday night would present Peter with a new venue, a new audience...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Random House UK (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Saturday Night Peter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saturday Night Peter

Mark
Richard
A light-hearted account of Peter's rise to fame & fortune with many insights of the less than glamorous lifestyle of stand-up comics on tour. You will probably only read this if you like Peter Kay but it is full of amusing stories that should appeal to all. The photos help to illuminate the text. There is no place for the private side of Peter. I would liked to have found out more about his mother and her influence on his career and his father is not mentioned, at all. I enjoyed the book and...more
Jules
I’ve got so many books just-started and half-read at the moment that my reading life has become a bit of an organisational reading nightmare. With a frantic workload being balanced over two parts of the UK, I needed a book to balance me and to help put my reading on-track again. This book was the perfect choice and – on top of this – it’s humble and funny. What’s not to like???

Peter Kay has always been my comedian of choice and this book goes a long way into explaining the success of his comedic...more
Ian
This was a reluctant buy, but when I saw this at £3.50 in Sainsburys I thought it was worth a gamble. I've found one or two gems now discounted at Sainsburys - Amazon may well be cheaper but sometimes instant gratification is best.

I'm not a massive fan of Peter Kay, the stand-up. He's the sort of comedian my parents like - and like rock 'n' roll, you don't want to share this interest with your mum and dad. It was never an issue with music - I liked the Clash and the Sex Pistols whereas my mother...more
Michelle Muirhead
I really enjoyed this book. Well written, although a little repetitive at times when describing his performances. It highlights the trials and tribulations of his experiences of being a stand up comedian. There's lots of brilliant anecdotes from his days as a compere and warm-up man to the comedian we know him as today. Quite humorous at times, lots of laugh out loud moments. Recommended read.
Polly Tiller
I read Peter Kays first book and loved it. So I got his second book. He describes a journey from small venues to arenas. I had to reread it to fully comprehend the incredible journey he had on the tour that just kept on getting larger and larger venues. Now when I see his shows they're even better to me because I have read what he has said about performing his shows. I do like these young comedians. They are so funny. Not like the racist sexist comedians of years ago that I never found funny.
Sue Hopkins
Hilariously funny! Peter Kay is a such a great comedian. Not quite as funny as his first book but still loved it.
Martin Kilbane
Great account of Peter Kay's years as a stand-up which finishes at the end of the "Mum Want's A Bungalow" tour- a tour poignant for me as I went to one of those gigs and it was my first ever arena gig experience.

Back to the book, this was more structured than his previous Sound Of Laughter book, so had an easier flow as opposed to his initial scattered approach. Also great to read parts of his material, which you will be familiar with if you have seen the DVDs. Good to see they still draw a smil...more
Katrina
Extremely funny book, it makes for a wonderful and light reading. I just never thought that Peter Kay was so stingy. He's got the spending habits of an old man! Where's the gliteratti gorges of celebrity life - shopping spree compulsions and first class flights to New York and Sydney? Peter Kay is quite boring when it comes to spending his hard won money. Oh well, he's still very funny, and this book gives the perfect picture of a rising stand-up comedian climbing up his way through the clubs an...more
Conor O'mahony
Lovely easy read with some of his best show material and amusing anecdotes.
Penny O'connell
Great follow up to peters first book, written in the classic Peter Kay style
Robert
Laugh out loud book. Just as good as the first
Ann
Quite a funny read and really good value (50p from a charity book stall)
John Holliday
Havnt really seen much of Peter Kays comedy, just the odd bit here and there, managed to pick this book up in a charity shop, 5 books for £2, all good ones but thats by the by.....didnt think I was going to enjoy the book but then started to get into it.....really enjoyed it, my kind of humour....will have to look out for some of the DVDs. This is the second autobiography and guess what....I have just picked up the first volume from the same charity shop......looking forward to reading it, and w...more
Daniel Penfold
A very funny and witty autobiography. This takes up the story from when Peter first won a comedy award until the end of the Mum Wants a Bungalow tour. The references are mainly about stand up appearances, there is very little about the TV stories but for me what was most impressive and funny was Kay's ability to make everyday situations appear witty and amusing. There may be some embellishment in the stories but nothing seems contrived. Well worth reading.
James
This is the second part of Peter Kay's autobiographies. This time he focuses on his work as a stand up comedian. I have to say that I didn't expect it to be as good as his first book, but it was. I loved hearing of his experiences and I loved hearing the stories behind his successes. I particularly enjoyed reading about the filming of his stand up DVDs which I loved when they were released. Has it really been 8 years since his last one was filmed?
Kirsty
Much more funny than his first book! I laughed out loud quite a lot whilst reading this (and got a fair few funny looks!) I think it helps that I'm from the same town and so when he talks about phrases he uses, I completely understand! It was interesting to read more of his back-story and I guess it shows that anyone can make it if they are good enough and are prepared to put in the effort.

This man is a legend... 'nuff said.
Fiona
I am not a big fan of autobiographies, but this one had me up till 2am the other night. It is written much the same way as Peter does his stand up shows, starts on one things, moves to something else, then back to the original.

The stories about he tells about getting into stand up are very funny (hence being up till 2am).

Worth a read
Antonia
Funny book and a very easy read. He has a skill - say risquee or controversial things with a cheeky little grin that will make you titter and giggle - and sometimes spit your tea out with unexpectedly laughter.

One for the Brits, as you need to know who Peter Kay is, but otherwise very good.
Wilde Sky
A British stand-up comedian remembers some of the venues his has played.

The description of some of the gigs is laugh out funny. The sections of the comedy routines embedded in this book are OK but not as funny as the general recollections.
Debbie
Great read as is the first book, I like the way he writes, it's highly believable and just as I would rite it down if it was me. I hope there is going to be another chapter in this story and I will deff be top of the queue to read it.
Besides I want to know if his mum did get that bungalow lol
Nikki Wakeford
started this last night, not a book classed in the upper echelons of literature but it does make you laugh out load with witty observations about everyday life.

my god this book made me laugh. my nans a northerner so i got all his references and they cracked me up. love peter kay.
Richard Dawson
I'll be honest, I did not read the entire book... Two thirds the way through and I stopped... Unlike the first book, this book featured very little comedy and fun and was more of a recollection of events. It was very disappointing after the first book being such a joy to read...
Mitsu
Really didn't enjoy his first book, but this one is actually not so bad. He is quite amusing, but it's all a bit mundane (but that is his 'thing') and not filled with the amazing circularity of Simon Pegg's (although there is some!).
Caroline Forder
What a quality read this book is. Anyone that's had face ache from watching a live performance will love this and you get some background to some of the jokes. Raced through it as couldn't put it down.

Yana Kennedy
I raced through this book, it was incredibly funny and quite a few times found myself laughing out loud and unable to stop giggling.
He really is one of our best comedians and I highly recommend his books.
Thanks Peter!
Louise
Just as good as the first book, this is a good read. Peter still has a lovely comic writing style that makes me titter. I really wish Phoniex nights had been mentioned more through.
Dignan107
Easy to read follow on from the first volume. More about the stand up tour(s) and making DVD's. Not much of a mention of Phoenix Nights which was a pity. Enjoyable
John
More of the same really - though slightly better written. Frankly you'd be better off watching his videos as it's largely the same stuff. Undemanding and mass appeal
Kim
Peter Kay is one of my favourite comedians and the book had me laughing aloud in places. You can just imagine him telling the stories as you read them.
  • It's Not What You Think
  • Still Standing: The Savage Years
  • Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story
  • Life And Laughing: My Story
  • Frank Skinner Autobiography
  • Why Do I Say These Things?
  • What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography
  • Sharon Osbourne Survivor: My Story: The Next Chapter
  • Head Over Heels in the Dales
  • Billy
  • The Gospel According to Chris Moyles: The Story of a Man and His Mouth
The Sound of Laughter Peter Kay The Book That's More Than Just a Book - Book The Owl in the Tree Phoenix Nights