Start by marking “Tom Strong: Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Tom Strong: Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1

Tom Strong: Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1 (Tom Strong: Deluxe Editions #1)

Comics legend Alan Moore introduces science hero Tom Strong in the first of three deluxe hardcover editions of the popular series illustrated by Chris Sprouse and many of comics' greatest artists, featuring an introduction by Alan more and additional character sketches.

Tom's remarkable exploits over a nearly century-long career feature an amazing cast of characters includ
Published September 22nd 2009 by WildStorm

To ask other readers questions about Tom Strong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Strong

Cheese
Mar 30, 2015 Cheese rated it it was ok
I find Alan Moore very hit and miss, more miss than hit! This was definitely a miss for me, i really struggled to finish this, it just wasn't as intelligent and exciting as I assumed it would be.
Allie
Jan 25, 2017 Allie rated it really liked it
My first Tom Strong. Not bad! Not fantastic, but hey -- we can't all be the Swamp Thing.

Enjoyable characters. My favourite was Solomon, whose Pommy accent had me giggling. Toodle pip till next time, wot? Oh, and he's a well dressed gorilla. Wot?

This deluxe edition packs a punch at over 300 pages. The stories vary in length, which I always appreciate. They go back in time, into the future, and even into a parallel universe.

The issue, Escape from Eden, introduced a being that was really cool, al
Rick
Sep 21, 2009 Rick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Mining the adventure stories of his youth, Doc Savage pulps, and the books of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Alan Moore recounts the exciting exploits of the scientific action hero, Tom Strong. Born in 1900 to shipwreck survivors, Tom Strong joins the mysterious Ozu after his parents death. Very intelligent, extraordinarily strong, and nearly immortal, Strong moves to America and sets himself up as the hero of Millennium City. He encounters a strange array of villainy such as the Modular Man, Ingrid Weis ...more
Khairul H.
Jan 11, 2010 Khairul H. rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It's by Alan Moore so there's gonna be homages to the days of pulp comics. It's an enjoyable read but only to the comic book geeks like myself. Those who are curious about this genre and want to start reading a book with pictures and word balloons should not start with this book. They just won't get the references.
David
Feb 18, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Tom Strong is a classic hero, heavily influenced by pulp and science fiction of the mid-20th century. He is a hero with a charmingly simple origin that for some reason makes him super badass. He was raised in his parents' futuristic volcano home on a remote island. They kept him in a high-gravity chamber for most of his childhood, which made him super-strong when he emerged. He inherited his parents' scientific brilliance and fortune, which gave him a wonderful opportunity to become a science he ...more
Jesse
Tom Strong was one of two characters in 2000 that awoke my current love for neo-pulp stories (the other was Doc Brass by Warren Ellis). After reading this, I kind of wanted to have a child then raise that child in higher gravity while feeding him magic root juice and a special education program. I want to father a super-super-scientist as well!

This is such an amazing bit of both straight forward pulp adventure as well as a commentary and deconstruction of those traditions, its bordering on geniu
Zachary Henez
Feb 23, 2015 Zachary Henez rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This is the first work by Alan Moore that I have read in a long time. It was refreshing to read Moore's return to the comic book superhero (science hero in the case of Tom Strong) in what is a fun collection of comics heavily influenced by pulp and science fiction. There is time travel, parallel dimensions (my favorite being funny land an animal world similar to earth) and alien creatures. Chris Sprouse' art is incredible in this collection. The amount of detail he puts into e ...more
Pturingan
Jun 01, 2010 Pturingan rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Lots of fun, especially, I would imagine, for old-school comics fans (like myself). This also proof, for me, that Alan Moore can still be good even when he's not writing something dark or mystical or political.

I don't normally buy the hardcover deluxe editions but this was on sale during this year's FCBD so I decided to go for it. I'm glad I did because I think that the oversized format really flatters the art (and it also kinda fits into the overall larger-than-life feel of the series). Only p
Reed
Feb 24, 2010 Reed rated it really liked it
Can you be nostalgic for a time you never experienced? I'm not sure, but Alan Moore's wonderful Tom Strong saga sure makes me think so.

He has created an alternate Earth filled with the joys and wonder of the pulp comics from the Golden Age. I'm not old enough to remember those times, but I've read bits and pieces of various comics from then. Moore manages to take the fun and excitement of those stories and couple them with a modern sensibility.

Recommended.
Daniel
Aug 27, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing
A very entertaining mix of scientific super heroes, pulp stories, golden and silver age comics written brilliantly. Lots of experimentation with flashbacks, histories inside histories, non-linear story telling. Incredible setting. I have read it twice and I always go back to it when I want to feel good. At the end of the day, probably the happiest work of Alan Moore, yet probably one of his best.
Feather Mista
Mar 09, 2010 Feather Mista rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans del autor y la serie.
En su momento leí los capítulos que componen este tomo entre revistas sueltas españolas y estadounidenses. No sé si habrá alguna edición deluxe en castellano (tampoco sé hasta cuándo podrán conseguirse los tomos de Norma, ni si después de ellos los reeditará ECC), pero si alguna vez aparece seguro switchee a esa por los motivos de siempre.
Will Cooper
Jul 10, 2015 Will Cooper rated it really liked it
Loved the first few stories! I thought each way Tom dealt with his villains was unique, which is what Moore specializes in. The end feels very short-story like (which I usually enjoy), but I feel like it's just introducing characters for something to come. Please let it be true, volume 2! I love bringing a ton of characters together for a big battle! To be continued...
Harold Ogle
Jun 14, 2013 Harold Ogle rated it really liked it
A fun comic; both a tribute to and loving parody of how Golden Age superheroes were re-imagined in the Silver Age. Tom Strong is a nod to Edgar Rice Burroughs characters, but with the Mad Science of Jules Verne's protagonists, sort of a cross between Ka-zar and Tom Swift.
Paul
Jan 29, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it
Lots of square-jawed pulpy fun.
Clint
Jul 30, 2015 Clint rated it really liked it
A lot of good, clean fun. Plenty of comics in-jokes. A shame I had not read this until now.
John Burns
Mar 21, 2013 John Burns rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Some cool stories here but as the series goes on Moore seems to lose interest slightly and just start writing absurd, novelty storylines. Adds up to less than the sum of it's parts.
TJ Shelby
Jul 13, 2013 TJ Shelby rated it really liked it
Not like anything I would have ever expected from Alan Moore. Just a great old-school super hero series.
Albert
Albert rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Jon Curme
Jon Curme rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Joseph
Joseph rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2013
Steven King
Steven King rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2014
Russell
Russell rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2010
Christian Jess Mark
Christian Jess Mark rated it it was ok
May 12, 2012
Przemysław
Przemysław rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Tyler Sexson
Tyler Sexson rated it did not like it
Dec 06, 2013
Philip
Philip rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2013
Nick Harris
Feb 16, 2016 Nick Harris rated it did not like it
Beautifully, futuristically boring
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor
More about Alan Moore...

Tom Strong: Deluxe Editions (2 books)
  • Tom Strong: Deluxe Edition, Vol. 2 (Tom Strong Deluxe, #2)