Start by marking “The Seems: The Split Second” as Want to Read:
The Seems: The Split Second

The Seems: The Split Second (The Seems #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  356 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
WARNING: Anything can happen in a Split Second.

Becker Drane's still got the coolest job in The World, but it's getting harder and harder to live a normal life outside of The Seems. He's definitely feeling the strain of being a teenager (complete with mood swings and a newfound respect for sarcasm) and he can't stop thinking about Jennifer Kaley, the totally cool girl he me
Published September 1st 2009 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published September 30th 2008)

Debbie
Jun 04, 2014 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could, I would rate this book, which I listened to on audiobook, a 3.5.

I think this second installment of the Seems saga is better than the first, in several respects, but the way it began and the way it ended make me fear that third book is going to be a let-down.

Becker Drane is back again as a Fixer, working through the land called the Seems to help our world run better and smoother while still maintaining (kind of) his life as a regular pre-teen kid with a family. The Wave, the rebel gro
Feb 09, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the story of another world, called "the seems" which actually keeps our world running. The main character lives a double life, both as a teenage boy on Earth and a "fixer" in The Seems who solves problems that would interfere with the basic functioning of the world. He's supposed to fix a potential disaster that would mess up the passage of time on earth, and he uses all kinds of other-world technology and complicated theories to try and fix things. The author's created a pretty ...more
Chris
Jan 20, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Deep-Thinking Silly People, People who are awesome,
Really really love this series. It's good brain-candy. This book started slowly for me, but once the plot got cracking I couldn't put it down. I love how they footnote and appendicize so many things. Several of the footnotes had me giggling, and the ones that didn't make me giggle made me groan, which is what you want with a good pun.

It's amazing that such a fun little series can pose and make you ponder deeper philosophical questions. The idea of "The Plan" and "The Powers that Be" being behind
Nikhita
Mar 29, 2016 Nikhita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Becker Drane has another problem to solve; this time it's a literal split second, which, if it explodes, can have unimaginably disastrous consequences. This story has the same quality as the last one, exploring the blend of humor and gravity with even more depth. In particular, the use of the split second, which basically acts as a bomb, provides an analogy to terrorist groups and their motivations today. Definitely five stars.
Rachel
Jan 05, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
The World needs Fixing again. The Tide has successfully constructed and set off a Time Bomb. The Tide makes a mistake, though, and does not put a containment field around the resulting Split Second. The Split Second jumps through Frozen Moments, aiming to break free into the World. Fixer #37, Becker Drane, is called in to Fix the problem. He gets separated from his Briefer, and certain mysteries are finally solved.

Becker is a believable character. He's trying to balance school and a 25/7 work s
Jim
Apr 20, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good adventure story in an amazing world. I absolutely loved all the play on words and double meanings the author used.
Anne
Imagine the world as you know it, but with a shadow world somehow connected to it where people exist for the purpose of making the world run as smothly and flawlessly as possible. There are artists who paint sunsets, technicians who keep time ticking, and fixers who step in when things get out of whack. Becker Drane is a Fixer. At 13 years old, it is his job to repair mishaps - and this time it's a doozy: someone has exploded a time bomb!

The second book in a series, but can stand alone. Full of
Julie
Sep 30, 2009 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, audiobooks
This second book in The Seems series features Becker Drain, a teenage prodigy who works as a 'fixer' in an organization called the Seems. This organization is in charge of... well everything. From sunsets to dreams to making sure thunder follows lightning, the Seems makes the world go round. In this story, time is at risk when a second is split. Get it? Split second? And how do you fix a split second? With a stitch in time of course! The book is filled with cute phrases that will make you laugh ...more
Michele
May 25, 2015 Michele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This series has some clever world-building with a super twist on cliches by turning them into settings and props. However, the story itself is just not there for me.
Brooke
Oct 13, 2012 Brooke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fast paced, clever book featuring 13-year-old Becker Drane whose job as a "fixer" places him in mortal danger as he goes behind the scenes to help save the world. It would have helped me to understand better, I am sure, had I listened to book one before this one. I definitely understood the basic plot but got a little lost with all of the characters and all of the places they went. Still, young teens will enjoy this, and there are some nice little philophies about life thrown in.
Gary
Apr 08, 2014 Gary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, apr-14
Ugh. Barely considered an adventure book. It was generally boring and unappealing for me. Maybe it was just me being younger, but I dislike it.
Samantha Eve Kennedy
Loved the second book in this trilogy. I am looking forward to the final installment!

This book continues the world of the Seems which takes care of our world. Several storylines from the previous book are advanced here, as well as the introductions to a few new/unique characters. Perhaps the most fun part of this book is the idea of a world running our world somehow makes sense. Which I suppose is all according to The Plan.
Sam Bloom
The second book in the series was, thankfully, not at all a letdown. These gentlemen really know how to write entertaining, funny, intelligent, extremely creative books. Weakness in dialogue is one of the only downfalls to The Seems books, but you almost have to view that through a Star Wars lens (I tried to picture Harrison Ford or Mark Hamill saying a lot of Becker's lines and it worked surprisingly well).
Misty
Dec 22, 2009 Misty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book added some new depth for a possibly great series. I enjoyed it. I think the world the authors have created is really cool. (in a nutshell, the world as we know it is controlled by this other world called the seems). A good series for kids although it seems to have some rather advanced words. I'm thinking my kids will like it in a couple years. (age 10ish)
Lady Knight
While I was not thirlled with the first installment of this series, I thought that I would give this one a go, and thankfully the series is much improved! The world of the Seems is now familiar to readers so more time was devoted to character development and it really helped. Looking forward to book three.
George
Oct 03, 2013 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a big step-up from the last book but it is still lacking in a few areas. It is not as gripping as it should be making it hard to read in one sitting. The unique writing style is a nice touch which makes it a little more enjoyable. Again, not for anyone to old more of a child's book in my opinion.
Congoking
I enjoyed this a lot better than a Glitch in Sleep. Although I am super excited about the world and its inhabitants. I do love the concept that there are people out there who make the world what it is and insure that we keep getting up everyday. A fun read when nothing else comes your way.
Joseph Anonymous
Tracy
Sequel to The Seems: The Glitch in Sleep

Some books have outstanding sequels; this one, regrettably fell flat of expectations. While I give Hulme full kudos for writing, the book itself lacked the same energy as the first Seems.
April
Apr 01, 2012 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Becker Drane works as a Fixer for the Seems. The Tide creates a Time bomb and it is up to Chiappa, Becker, Tom Jackal and a briefer to keep the World from being destroyed. Becker wants to contact Jennifer from his first mission.
Arlen
I found this (#2)even better than the first. Looking forward to #3. Congrats to all involved! And thanks. Great for advanced 4th grade readers through, perhaps, high school freshman. Maybe even a sophomore or 2.
Christine
Listening to this series on audio with my 8-yr-old and we both love it and look forward to opportunities to listen together. Not for serious sci-fi/fantasy fans, but entertaining for kids and amusing for adults.
Apr 12, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, middlegrade, humor, fantasy
3.5, really. A very enjoyable sequel, with the same zany humor as the first book, but not quite as strong as the first in some ways. Will review on Finding Wonderland eventually.
Monica Edinger
Jul 21, 2008 Monica Edinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Wrote about this series at my blog: http://medinger.wordpress.com/2008/07...
Heather
A good sequel to The Glitch in Sleep, a fast paced read, and very clever.
Luca
Apr 09, 2016 Luca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good, I suppose, really dramatic, I'm serious, OVERBOARD
Elene Amiranashvili
It is a good book, I would recommend this book for kids 8 and up.
Jessica
Fourth graders and up (especially boys) will enjoy this funny series.
Alison Livingston
Nov 16, 2009 Alison Livingston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the pun-infested Seems. Hope there is another!
Aidan
Oct 04, 2011 Aidan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
Equally as great as the first book and an even better plot
  • The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2)
  • Little Rabbit and the Meanest Mother on Earth
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • The Long Walk: Slavery to Freedom
  • Shadow Pass (Inspector Pekkala #2)
  • Chilly Milly Moo
  • The Paths of the Air (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #11)
  • Fly Guy and the Frankenfly (Fly Guy, #13)
  • Alexander's Bridge
  • The Villain Virus (NERDS, #4)
  • The Flea's Sneeze
  • Human Nature (Pax Britannia, #3)
  • Simon Bloom: The Octopus Effect (Simon Bloom, #2)
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • The Adventures of a South Pole Pig: A novel of snow and courage
  • Son of Interflux
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Be Nice to Spiders

The Seems (4 books)
  • The Glitch in Sleep (The Seems, #1)
  • Lost Train of Thought (The Seems, #3)
  • A Better Place (The Seems #4)