The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits, #1)

The Fall of Fergal: The First Unlikely Exploit (Unlikely Exploits #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The very last words young Fergal McNally heard in his life were: "Don't lean out of that window!" The very last sounds were probably the air whistling past his sticky-out ears as he fell the fourteen stories, the honk of traffic horns below (getting nearer and nearer, of course), and-possibly-the "SP" of the "SPLAT!" he himself made as he hit the pavement. Fergal certainly...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published October 7th 2002)

Ashley
I'd never read anything by Philip Ardagh, but i'd shelved them over and over again, and now I can see why. They are funny. He writes in a sort of rambling stream of digressions and anecdotes. It sort of reminds me of a local author I know who hasn't quite made the big time yet. If you're reading this (my review I mean) then you should read this (the book I mean). I think you could write like this, it's already how you talk. Anyways, addressing everyone else, if you enjoy short funny j fic, you s...more
KidsFiction Teton County Library
J Ardagh

This is a darkly humorous tale similar to the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket about the ups and downs of the McNally family. The family has some bad luck, as the children have lost their mother and live with their father, a former war hero who has become an unhappy man who "collects empty bottles" (the author's slightly subtle way of describing an alcoholic).

LeFay McNally has won a trip to the final keyboarding competition sponsored by the Tap N Type company. Her brothers...more
Patrice Sartor
GENRE: Fiction, humor, adventure, realistic fiction elements.

SUMMARY: Le Fay McNally's typing prowess has earned her a place in the finals of the Tap 'n' Type competition. Le Fay's older sister Jackie, who is the clan's substitute mother, has created a plan that will enable her to take Le Fay's three other siblings on a bus ride to the competition for the price of just two. Le Fay will be traveling via train, with her expenses paid for by the competition's sponsor. The goal was to meet at the ba...more
Kathy
this book is basicly about a boy named fergal who lives in a very poor family and he cant even afford to have 2 meals a dayl. he can only have 1. fergal and his family had to go watch thier sister le fay go do a typing contest so in order for them to go inside le fay has to slip them from the fire escape in her hotel room at exactly 3;00

the mcnally family had to fool all so his sister jackie dressed up as a mom and his 2 twin brothers pushed themselves together so that they can look like one, hi...more
Luther
This first book in the Unlikely Exploits series will appeal to readers who enjoy silly, but clever works. Ardagh manages to create a book that is full of dark humor, but is still serious and sad. In this work, four McNally siblings are introduced: Jackie, the oldest; "almost twin brothers" Joshua and Albie; Le Fay; and Fergal. The story begins with Fergal falling to his death from a window. The rest of the story is a series of flashbacks and jumps forward, full of the author's metalanguage and c...more
Michele Velthuizen
Interest level: 5th +
Reading level: easy
Genre: humor, adventure, families
Series: Unlikely Exploits
Read-alikes: Series of Unfortunate Events

If you enjoyed Lemony Snicket's "Series of Unfortunate Events" you'll like this book - "The Fall of Fergal"- Book 1 in the series "Unlikely Exploits" because it, too, is full of quirky characters and children who experience misfortune early on.

The author, Philip Ardagh, has a habit of speaking to himself (and to his readers) and tells the story of the MacNal...more
Frank
Cute. As someone who generally thinks in digressions, I enjoyed the writing style and the black humorous tone. In the Pratchett and Douglas Adams family of wit (high compliment here). Definitely juvenile fiction though, which is not a bad thing considering that is the intended audience. It would be odd if the author wrote a book for children and it was filled with sex and violence. Odd, and more than likely prosecutable. Hypocritically not odd, however, is an adult reading a book intended for ch...more
carissa
Recommended Ages: grades 4-6

Philip Ardagh's Unlikely Exploits series chart the extraordinary changes in fortune of the downtrodden McNally family, beginning with The Fall of Fergal. The setting is an unidentified country suffering from an unexpected breakout of large holes.

The McNally children find themselves in the Dell Hotel, the venue for the final of the Tap 'n' Type typing competition, surrounded by a strange assortment of characters ranging from Twinkle-Toes Tweedy, the house detective, to...more
Katie
This hilarious and dark novel will delight young readers wanting something a little exceptional and extraordinary. The writing is quick and the characters quirky. There is a lot of mystery and plot twists found throughout and a clever reader will pick up on some of the strangeness. Ardagh reveals some of the hidden mysteries (including page numbers) at the back of the book. While some might shy away from the dark humour, it is handled with the author’s classic off the wall dry wit which will mak...more
Audrey
This entire trilogy is just wonderful. It's easily the wierdest trilogy I've ever read, but I love it anyway (and, to a certain extent, therfore). It doesn't necessarily make sense, but somehow, I don't care. This is not a trilogy for everyone. It strikes me as the sort of thing you love or consider stupid and pointless. Whether because I'm just wierd that way or because I was in the right mood when I read it, I have an unexplainable affection for it.
Caitie Harrison
Not as good as Ardagh's other series, 'The Eddie Dickens Trilogy.' A quirky, quick read that is good for mid-elementary aged students.
Kirsten

A fun kids' novel in the tradition of Lemony Snicket and Roald Dahl, although possibly not quite of the same calibre.. I enjoyed it, but I probably won't actively seek out the sequels, unless I happen to see them at the library.
Amanda Ridge
I read this to see if it would be appropriate for my daughter. In the end, I decided against sharing this with my child. There were some parts that were quite entertaining, but I must say that overall, the humor wasn't quite to my liking.
Doralyn
Funny little book. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending because it seems a bit absurd (the book is clever enough on its own without adding anything paranormal). But obviously, the author is a fan of the absurd.
Melinda
My son chose to listen to this one on the way to Disneyland and it was a pretty fun book until the very, very end was a little odd, but the writer is obviously quirky and kind of fun.
Jamarius Sams
I think this book is very good for anyone above the age of 14 years old .It describes in details and in intense ways. I like it and i think that all people should read thus book.
Peter Millett
This book has the darkest, most bizarre opening of all time. It's like Monty Python for kids. Parents watch out - Fergal is falling!
Caroline
A fun enough book, but it wasn't interesting enough to stick with this series at all. Still, kids would probably get a kick out of it.
Morty4
Can I just say: Awesome. Unless you're offended by people making light of death, in which case this book probably isn't for you.
Stacey
These are fun and kind of remind me of Roald Dahl books. Very short and funny and quirky. I can't wait to read the next one.
Infinite Playlist
Typically Ardagh. Cheeky, funny, heart-warming, original and very darkly humoured. The ending made me very curious about book 2.
Liv
The most boring book I've ever read , I can't even be bothered to go into detail about it .
Summer
Too much like A Series of Unfortunate Events. Very similar writing style. Copycat?
Tia
AAAAAAAAAAMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZIIINNGGGGGG!!!!! READ IT, TOTALLY!!!! CRAZY BOOK!!!!
Joan
My 8yo loved this as a bedtime story, she wants me to find the next book in the series.
Hor Ying
This book is quite good and entertaining, though there isn't a lot of things happening.
Emily
My first exposure to dark humor for kids.
Rachel
This book is really funny! I loved it.
Bethany_lynn13
May 12, 2010 Bethany_lynn13 marked it as to-read
i want to read this so bad!!!
Ally Kwok
This book is really funny!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Cozy Classics: Pride and Prejudice
  • Fraidyzoo
  • Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes, # 3)
  • A Calendar of Tales
  • Art
  • Haiku Handbook: How to Write, Share and Teach Haiku
  • Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night (Booklist Editor's Choice. Books for Youth (Awards))
  • The Rising Star of Rusty Nail
  • The Snatchabook
  • The Giggler Treatment
  • You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum!
  • The Catswold Portal
  • The Conference of the Birds
  • The Free Bards (Bardic Voices, #1-3)
  • Fish
  • I Have a Bad Feeling about This
  • Ahead of All Parting: The Selected Poetry and Prose
  • Rare Beasts (Edgar & Ellen, #1)
Over six-and-a-half feet tall, with a bushy beard,Philip Ardagh is not only very big but also very hairy. He is the author of the Eddie Dickens Trilogy and when not writing silly books, Mr. Ardagh is quite serious and frowns a great deal. He lives in a seaside town somewhere in England with his wife and their son, Fred.
More about Philip Ardagh...
Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1) Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2) Terrible Times (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #3) Heir Of Mystery (Unlikely Exploits, #2) The Rise of the House of McNally (Unlikely Exploits, #3)