Start by marking “Fool Me Twice” as Want to Read:
Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  752 ratings  ·  135 reviews
When it comes to pleasing her twin sister, Megan O'Connor is an easy touch. She'll do just about anything to gain Kristen's approval, including trading places with her. After all, Kristen's plan promises to get Megan out of a dead-end job and make them both rich. It will be a nice reward for a little genealogical investigation--something that couldn't have happened without ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Fool Me Twice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fool Me Twice

Jacob Proffitt
I didn't think I was a fan of “suspense” as a genre, but this book pulled me in and kept hold for an incredibly fun ride. Maybe I'm just a fan of a good story well-told. Or maybe I just like Stephanie Black for having known her in college. Whatever the case, I thoroughly enjoyed this story and devoured it in more or less one big gulp.

I'm actually a little uncertain about the genre designation. I vaguely remember someone telling me that “suspense” is a mystery where you know who done it. If so, t
Jon
This was a good read - difficult to put down. I was near the end of the book on my lunch break and ended up being late because I just had to finish it!

The general synopsis is that you have two twin sisters - one of which is kind and hard-working, but stalled in life, and the other, who is adventurous, but carefree. The latter one has a plan to make some money that just involves getting the former to switch with her for a little while.

Everyone seems to have their own agenda, though, as things ge
Shannon
Just a little too bleak for my normal taste; although, the story was decently written. The motivation of both Megan and Aunt Evelyn seem contrived. Kristen seems like a caricature. Not great suspense but not the worst I've read either.
Hallie
Oct 15, 2014 Hallie marked it as set-aside
Shelves: ebook
With apologies to Jacob, and not a bad "set-aside", really. The decent person getting pulled into a not-so-decent scam was just hitting some button for me, so I might well go back to it.
Anita Wilkerson
It's Jesse Stone and worth the read. The dialogue and character sketches are dead on Parker. I only miss Sunny Randall, but you can't have everything.
Jordan McCollum
ear Stephanie Black,

Can I please be you?

Love, Jordan

Let me tell you, after reading Fool Me Twice, it’s little wonder that it won the Whitney Award for Best Mystery/Suspense, despite stiff competition. The basic plot is that Megan’s identical twin sister, Kristen, convinces Megan to trade places for a share in an inheritance. But that’s just the beginning of the evil twin’s machinations—and even Kristen doesn’t know who’s ultimately pulling the strings, and how far her puppeteer will take them al
Heather
Just as the title Fool Me Twice alludes, readers can expect twists and turns in the suspense novel that will keep them guessing. Identical twins, Kristen and Megan, haven’t been close for years. Now in their twenties, they hardly ever speak to each other. But Megan wishes it were otherwise.

When Kristen suddenly comes back into Megan’s life with a daring plan of how they can both get rich—legitimately—Megan eagerly agrees. She’ll do practically anything to be in her twin sister’s good graces agai
Kandi
This book was a good thriller, but seemed to be alittle all over the place. Made me glad i wasn't a twin and didn't have a sister like that.
Main things i like about this book was it referenced items from the bofm.
Pg 93 'Can a mother forget her nursing baby?' She could forget and you know how unlikely that would be, for a mother to forget her own child, but the Lord will forget us. He says it's like we're engraved on the palms of His hands.' Saying His love and concern for us is even greater th
Heather
Well written-- she is a talented writer. My only critiques would be to go more fully into the main character and to make the end of the book have a little more wrap-up. What was the point of this story? The author should spell it out for us. How does this chain of events change the main character? (Grade: B)
J.S. Jaeger
I enjoy mystery books that are not gory or overly sexual. Stephanie Black did an excellent job filling this need for me. Her characters and storyline were believable. There were just enough twists to keep me guessing. Great book for anyone looking for a quick, suspenseful read.
Darla
(Genre: LDS fiction/mystery/suspense) Pretty good story of identical twins who switch places. Megan is the kind and hard working sister who has put her own dreams on hold to meet the demands of her selfish and demanding mother. When Kristen, her twin, shows up after an extended absence and convinces Megan to leave her mother and impersonate her (Kristen) in another state, Megan reluctantly agrees. But soon Megan finds herself in a situation that is much more complicated than she bargained for.
Th
Kale Snyder
I really enjoyed this book. It held great suspense keeping me turning pages for hours and guessing until the end which is unusual for me. I enjoyed the identical twin aspect of this making the plot line different than other suspense novels.
Karen
This story is about a girl named Megan who has a twin sister who manipulates her into a scheme of taking care of a dying aunt in hopes that she will leave her inheritance to them. Megan has a very dependent mother who is also very manipulative and because she wants to believe in her sister and free herself of her mother and finally go to college she agrees to the scheme.

Things get really wild when it is made known that there is more to this scheme than meets the eye.

I really enjoyed this book.
Laura Hall
I thought it was a bit confusing for the first half. I guess that was some of the mystery, but I didn't buy a lot of what the main character was doing for some reason. Not my favorite of her mysteries.
Emily
Feb 09, 2011 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Emily by: Alison, Annalisa, Paul
I finally got my hands on a copy of this book so something else can occupy the first spot on my "to-read" list.

Megan and Kristin are identical twins. Kristin is the bad twin and talks Megan into pulling a scam on a little old lady in order to secure her inheritance. While living with the old woman (Evelyn) Megan makes friends with some Mormons. I thought that part was handled well, better than other books that try similar things.

It was definitely suspenseful. I liked how the author kept the my
Josi
I love a good mystery and picked this book up hoping that I would enjoy this novel as well as I enjoyed Black's first novel, The Believer. I was no disappointed. The story is about two sisters--one conniving and one just really wanting a relationship with the other. We get to witness clever plot twists, growing characters, and intense action as the story continues. One point I was particularly impressed with was that this book involved twins, which is rather cliche in stories. However, I have tr ...more
Linnae
Megan is a hard worker, an identical twin, and a doormat. When her sister Kristen suggests a somewhat shaky scheme for making some cash, she jumps on board, mostly in hopes of getting Kristen to finally approve of her. What she doesn't realize is that someone else has masterminded a far bigger scheme than the one Kristen put together, and Megan is right in the bulls-eye.

Suspense generated by knowing more than the character you're rooting for and hoping she gets out in time! As the plot thickens,
Kandace Mcgrath
This was an excellent book!
Verona
What a fun, little mystery novel! It was an entertaining book to listen to; and we really enjoyed the narrator. We have listened to her read other series of books, and we really enjoy her style, the sparkle in her voice, and the different characters she creates with her voice. This was a mystery with a twist: twins who are involved in the murder, kidnapping, and general mayhem of this story. I have found a new author that I really like in Stephanie Black. I am anxious to listen to another one of ...more
P.
An excellent read.
Stephanie
The story itself was intriguing enough to keep me reading, but the writing seemed too juvenile to me. I loved all the plot twists that kept the story interesting.
Keisha
It did take me two times to finish this, because the first attempt failed in the beginning when I didn't have a clue what was going on. But I take that my own fault for not following along well enough. When I did get into it though, I literally couldn't put it down. So many things were left unknown and things were progressing in leaps and bounds and I didn't want to miss anything or lose the excitement of the moment. Needless to say I'm glad I own it, or else it would going on my "to-buy" shelf ...more
Dlora
This LDS romance is better than the norm (and they are getting better and better with time). It's really more of a fast-paced thriller, though it has the traditional elements of romance and conversion story. The characters are believable, if a bit idealistic. The dialog was good and the church elements are well handled and not overbearing. Not a lot of deep philosophical thought or amazing writing, but the plot grabs you and keeps you reading. It's good escapist reading.
Shawna
It took me a little while to get into this book. Once I got into it I had to keep reading until I found out what happened. Great plot and twists and great bad guy characters. It was a great suspenseful/intense book. It's by an LDS author, but It wasn't churchy or preachy. The main character was not LDS, but did a little bit of investigating, so I think it brought in the right amount of the spiritual stuff. A great story that I think anyone could enjoy.
Jenna
I liked this one by Stephanie Black. While not original, twins switching places to pull off a con, the added surprises in the book made the story quite riveting. Ms. Black is becoming one of my favorite authors. She is able to keep secrets in her stories and have them revealed in such an entertaining manner that I don't even try to skip ahead (a problem I have with most books I read) because I don't want to ruin it for myself.
Cheryl
I enjoyed this book...once I really got into it, I wanted to finish it to see how it ended up. I find that I am a critical reader...not as easy to please as some of my friends. I thought some parts were too predictable...something hard to avoid in a mystery, and that some of the LDS involvement was a little too forced into the storyline. But, all in all, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to my friends!
Karie Caldwell
Ok, this book was pretty cool! It caught my interest from the beginning and buit up from there. I usually expect that LDS writers of fiction will come up with some cheesy stuff, but this was surprisingly NOT! It had a great story line that was well put together and got very suspenseful. I really enjoyed this one! It kept me up til midnight last night to finish. That is when you know it's good....
Tani
Wow. I finished this in less than a day because it was so intense and well-written that I couldn't put it down! The story is about a girl who thinks she is just conning her great-aunt but it turns out that everything isn't what she thinks it is. The part that I really liked about this book is that I didn't really know what was going on until the very end. I like it when a book isn't predictable.
Echo
For an LDS novel, this one was actually pretty well written. I wasn't totally rapt, but the story of twins who are trying to pull a fast one & getting a fast one pulled on them was well-written enough to hold my attention to the end. It was a little predictable (ok, maybe a lot predictable), but it brought in church stuff without being preaching or overdoing it. It was pretty good.
Jenny
Winner of the Whitney Award for best (LDS) mystery/suspense.

I enjoyed the book. It was a suspenseful, entertaining, quick read. The LDS undertones were appropriate and did not distract from the rest of the novel. I'm usually not a big fan of LDS fiction (because of its predictability, hoakiness, and overall lack of quality writing) so this was a pleasant surprise. Enjoy!
Must Read!! 2 26 Oct 05, 2008 11:00PM
  • Lockdown (Saint Squad, #2)
  • Code Red
  • Grave Secrets
  • Traitor (Traitor, #1)
  • Don't Cry Wolf
  • Counting Stars
  • Poison (Haggerty Mystery, #6)
  • No Time for Love
  • Ghost of a Chance
  • Pathway Home  (Yesterday's Love, #4)
Methods of Madness Rearview Mirror Cold as Ice The Believer Shadowed