Start by marking “Hear My Roar: A Story of Family Violence” as Want to Read:
Hear My Roar: A Story of Family Violence

Hear My Roar: A Story of Family Violence

2.82 of 5 stars 2.82  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Papa loves little Orsa -- but sometimes it's hard to tell.

It seems to Orsa Bear that Papa is angry all the time -- especially after he's had a lot of jack-berry wine. If Papa's not yelling at Mama about the weeds in their garden, he's roaring at Orsa for being clumsy at his chores.

Orsa is scared and doesn't understand why his father acts this way. After a long winter's sle...more
Published August 20th 2009 by Annick Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hear My Roar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hear My Roar

Sue Morris
5 stars +

It’s summer and Mama, Papa, and Orsa Bear are picnicking in the woods. Papa tells Orsa how they used to scare animals into traps by roaring. He challenges Orsa to roar, but ridicules him when he isn’t loud or scary enough. Papa’s own roar is so loud and scary, Orsa cowers in fright.

As the weather turns colder food is scarce, and Papa’s temper flares easily. It seems Mama and Orsa can’t do anything right. Even after a long winter’s sleep Papa is still always angry.

Mama and Orsa visit Do...more
Jacqueline
A sightly jarring graphic novel about family violence that uses animals to make it's point. It was odd to see bears getting drunk and making wine when the age group this is meant most likely can handle seeing humans doing the same thing. The animal aspect panders to the age group treating them like younger children when I don't believe that is what the author meant to do.

The art is decent and I commend Ben Hodson for being able to give bears and owls real emotion and depth, You sir are the reas...more
Lauren Noriega
Lauren Noriega marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Jendi
Jendi marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2012
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2012
Kristie
Kristie marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2010
Twas the Day Before Zoo Day How the Moon Regained Her Shape What I Be Jeffrey and Sloth Richard Was a Picker