Start by marking “Les Creatures Du Docteur Fu Manchu” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Les Creatures Du Docte...

Sax Rohmer

Les Creatures Du Docteur Fu Manchu (Fu Manchu #2)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Terror in the Night

He was the most brilliant man alive; his very existence a scientific miracle. Yet evil was his nature and evil was the only end he served.

Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie, the sworn enemies of Fu Manchu, had little knowledge of the dangers that awaited them. For the evil Doctor had one weapon in his fiendish arsenal from which there was no escape: the love o...more
Paperback
Published September 1st 2009 by Livre de Poche (first published 1916)

To ask other readers questions about Les Creatures Du Docteur Fu Manchu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les Creatures Du Docteur Fu Manchu

Mike

The review from afar – No. 10

Re-revised forward to these overseas reviews:
As I emulate a yo-yo, I continue to rely on an old-style Kindle 3G for any non-technical reading. I tip my hat to the fine folks at Project Gutenberg: virtually every title I have or will be reading in the near future comes from them.

The Return of Dr. Fu Manchu (UK title, The Devil Doctor) continues the battle between Good and Evil as embodied by (for Good) Colonial Police Commissioner (with a Royal Roving License) Denis N...more
Steve Newman
A good, but not great sequel to the first in the series. I have to say that having the Dr simply focused on removing Smith and Peitre was a bit disappointing. There was no global domination plot, etc... So far, without read #3, these seems to have been a between book and not one that really stands on its own.

With that said, the characters improved and the visuals that were conjured of the times and places was well written.

I did find it interesting that in the versions of the books that I read,...more
Spacewanderer
Not as racist as the first book, "The Mystery of Dr. Fu-Manchu" (a.k.a, "The Insidious Dr. Fu-Manchu"). And, frankly, the novel suffers because of it. "The Mystery of Dr. Fu-Manchu" reminds you of that really racist elderly relative that you only see on holidays and is always belting out racial slurs because he or she was raised during a time when the concept of political correctness didn't exist (i.e., The concept of white people looking down on minorities is as natural as eating or breathing)....more
Carolyn
The terribly evil Dr. Fu-Manchu returns to London and completely baffles the entertainingly racist British detectives pursuing him. This is the second book in the series, and a lot of fun for two reasons. On one hand it is exciting and melodramatic, and on the other it is a glimpse into the mindset of the author, writing at a time when the "Yellow Peril" was seen as a scientifically proven reality. Reading this book is both an absorbing diversion and an interesting comparison to the hidden racis...more
David Merrill
As one would expect there are racial slurs throughout a novel like this, but not nearly as many as its reputation would suggest. Rohmer's descriptive abilities far outweigh the discomfort those slurs will create. Sir Dennis Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie remind me a lot of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, but the focus is more on action/adventure than mystery. Smith's Moriarty, Fu Manchu is the ultimate diabolical, scientific genius. We see his lackeys more often than we see him, but their horrific...more
Marts  (Thinker)
Another wonderfully crafted Fu Manchu mystery & the second in this series. It contains exciting elements like, protecting the British Empire and saving a beautiful woman from a devil's grasp...

Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie must once again battle their clever fiend Fu Manchu who now continues his evil deeds in England...
Carl
"The Return of Dr. Fu-Manchu," also titled "The Devil Doctor," is the second of the 14 novels featuring the clever battle of minds and wills between Sir Denis Nayland Smith and Fu-Manchu. There is, of course, our narrator, Dr. Petrie, and the mysterious woman returns as well: the beautiful Egyptian, Karamaneh, whose allegiance is often unclear. In fact, Smith and Petrie often are able to survive Fu Manchu's clever schemes or traps through some last minute twist, or by almost "divine" interventio...more
Perry Whitford
When the indefatigable Burmese police commissioner Nayland Smith and his trusty friend and sidekick Dr. Petrie both receive a mysterious and bogus midnight summons, the dreadful import of the ruse soon dawns on them - the fiendish Dr. Fu-Manchu is back on the loose in London!
"Imagine a person tall, lean, and feline, high shouldered, with a brow like Shakespeare and a face like Satan, a close-shaven skull, and long magnetic eyes of the true cat green ... and you have a mental picture of Dr. Fu-Ma...more
Felix Zilich
Доктор Фу Манчу возвращается к берегам Туманного Альбиона. Его новая задача – ликвидация работающих на Востоке агентов британского империализма. Для этого доктору нужно совсем немного. Выкрасть и допросить с пристрастием единственного человека, который знает этих агентов лично – пастора Элтема. К сожалению, на пути Доктора снова оказываются Нейланд Смит и доктор Петри. Они спасают Элтема, а потом начинают уничтожать новую агентурную сеть самого Фу.

Но только теперь в их поединке появляются два не...more
Jason Speck
The second in Sax Rohmer's pulp series featuring the evil genius of Fu-Manchu. Originally written as a series of short episodes that were collected into a novel, the book is best read like a serial, as many of the set pieces are similar in type. Two books into this series one wonders how such 'intelligent' Englishmen could continually fall into the same traps, and how such a criminal 'mastermind' as Fu Manchu could keep failing to kill them. Indeed, towards the end of the novel the doctor notes...more
Mallory Heart Reviews
Mar 03, 2012 Mallory Heart Reviews rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery, Historical, Horror
Recommended to Mallory Heart by: Hearts on Fire Reviews
Words almost fail me to describe the sheer lyrical delight of reading Sax Rohmer’s wonderful Fu Manchu series. Were I banished to a desert island for life, with only a lantern to read by, and told I would be limited to the Fu Manchu Mysteries, gladly I would go (until I wore the pages loose from constant rereading). Mr. Rohmer had an inimitable, unsurpassable literary style; he never needed courses to teach him how to bait and maintain the reader’s hook. His characters, his settings, his plottin...more
Sandy
This is the second of the 14 Fu Manchu books that Sax Rohmer gave us. Like the first, it is very episodic in nature, revealing its origin as a series of short magazine stories. A reading of the previous book WOULD be helpful for a full enjoyment of this volume, but is not absolutely necessary. Like the first book, this one is jam-packed with fast-moving action and bizarre adventure. It is surprisingly well written; sometimes even elegantly written. Just note the description of the seedy East End...more
Abner Rosenweig
The cliffhanger, episodic intrigue of the Fu-Manchu series is entertaining. Rohmer is imaginative and inventive and although the repetitive structure of the episodes can become predictable and the prejudice against the Chinese race can appear insensitive, the books remain a great adventure for rainy day summer Sunday reading.
Freder
I came to this with a familiarity of the characters based on other media: movies, serials, and especially Marvel's MASTER OF KUNG FU comic book. I don't know what I expected, but I certainly did not expect the writing to be so abysmally bad, or the story to be so uninvolving, or for the characters to be so flat that they disappear when y'turn 'em sideways. This was a big disappointment. Couldn't even finish the damn thing.
David Allen
Dr. Petrie, Nayland Smith, Karamaneh and Fu Manchu are back. As with the first book, the sequel is a series of episodes of about 20 pages each, usually involving death traps, miraculous escapes, horrifying tortures and an embarrassing Orientalism. There's a near-Lovecraftian nightmarishness to many scenes. A guilty pleasure.
Droid
"Many strange and terrible memories are mine, memories stranger and more terrible than those of the average man; but this thing which now moved slowly down upon us through the impenetrable gloom of that haunted place, was (if the term be understood) almost absurdly horrible."

Just like your writing, Mr Rohmer!
Jonathan Stevens

Having read he first two novels, I reluctantly conclude Fu Manchu stories are not
quite my cup of tea. The stories seem like relatively mundane crime thrillers, and
Fu Manchu seems more like a rather clever criminal than the terrifying diabolical genius
I'm supposed to think he is.

Douglas
Another book of essentially short stories about the chasing an non-capturing of Dr. Fu-Manchu. Mr. Smith and Dr. Petrie work hard at catching the evil Dr. but he outwits them time and again.

I'll read the 3rd and last of the series eventually, but not right away.
JW
Sometimes incredibly racist (It is nearly 100 years old), Sax Rohmer tells one hell of a suspenseful story filled with foggy London streets and he truly is a master of suspense. Fu Manchu is Darth Vader without the mommy issues.
Neil
The second book in the Fu Manchu series is very much more of the same. once again very episodic as it was compiled from a series of magazine stories. Fu Manchu himself is rarely in it, but his influence pervades everywhere.
H
Another gripping Fu Manchu yarn with the always resourceful Nayland Smith hot on the trial of the fiendish doctor and his diabolical traps and poisons. A great page turner with plenty of atmosphere.
David
Veers toward horror and unveils the awesome Six Gates of Joyful Wisdom. Smith is still a more manic if less analytical Holmes, but Petrie, always either besotted or terrified, is no Watson.
John
Interesting pulp action from the 30s. The series has been considered controversial and racist towards Asians. Lots of over the top Western misconceptions of Orientalism.

Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Mallory
Genre: Historical Mystery
Rated: 5 stars

Check out the review on http://heartsonfirereviews.com/
Richard Noble
never really thrilling. not boring, though. The bit with the peacock is really stupid but oddly compelling.
Nev Thomas
Dated thriller.Rather corny
  • The Mucker (Mucker, #1)
  • She and Allan
  • The Living Shadow (The Shadow #1)
  • The Man of Bronze (Doc Savage #1)
  • Dwellers in the Mirage
  • The Phoenix on the Sword
  • The Man of the Forest
  • Sir Nigel
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • The Old Man in the Corner
  • Doc Sidhe
  • Four Weird Tales
AKA Arthur Sarsfield Ward (real name); Michael Furey.

Arthur Henry Sarsfield Ward (15 February 1883 - 1 June 1959), better known as Sax Rohmer, was a prolific English novelist. He is best remembered for his series of novels featuring the master criminal Dr. Fu Manchu.

Born in Birmingham to a working class family, Rohmer initially pursued a career as a civil servant before concentrating on writing fu...more
More about Sax Rohmer...
The Insidious Dr. Fu-Manchu Brood of the Witch-Queen The Hand of Fu-Manchu The Mask of Fu Manchu Daughter of Fu Manchu