Start by marking “Les Creatures Du Docteur Fu Manchu” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Les Creatures Du Docte...

Sax Rohmer

Les Creatures Du Docteur Fu Manchu (Fu Manchu #2)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  356 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Terror in the Night

He was the most brilliant man alive; his very existence a scientific miracle. Yet evil was his nature and evil was the only end he served.

Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie, the sworn enemies of Fu Manchu, had little knowledge of the dangers that awaited them. For the evil Doctor had one weapon in his fiendish arsenal from which there was no escape: the love o
Paperback
Published September 1st 2009 by Livre de Poche (first published 1916)

To ask other readers questions about Les Creatures Du Docteur Fu Manchu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les Creatures Du Docteur Fu Manchu

Mike
Aug 18, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone

The review from afar – No. 10

Re-revised forward to these overseas reviews:
As I emulate a yo-yo, I continue to rely on an old-style Kindle 3G for any non-technical reading. I tip my hat to the fine folks at Project Gutenberg: virtually every title I have or will be reading in the near future comes from them.

The Return of Dr. Fu Manchu (UK title, The Devil Doctor) continues the battle between Good and Evil as embodied by (for Good) Colonial Police Commissioner (with a Royal Roving License) Denis N
Spacewanderer
Not as racist as the first book, "The Mystery of Dr. Fu-Manchu" (a.k.a, "The Insidious Dr. Fu-Manchu"). And, frankly, the novel suffers because of it. "The Mystery of Dr. Fu-Manchu" reminds you of that really racist elderly relative that you only see on holidays and is always belting out racial slurs because he or she was raised during a time when the concept of political correctness didn't exist (i.e., The concept of white people looking down on minorities is as natural as eating or breathing). ...more
Marts  (Thinker)
Another wonderfully crafted Fu Manchu mystery & the second in this series. It contains exciting elements like, protecting the British Empire and saving a beautiful woman from a devil's grasp...

Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie must once again battle their clever fiend Fu Manchu who now continues his evil deeds in England...
Steve Newman
Aug 09, 2014 Steve Newman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, but not great sequel to the first in the series. I have to say that having the Dr simply focused on removing Smith and Peitre was a bit disappointing. There was no global domination plot, etc... So far, without read #3, these seems to have been a between book and not one that really stands on its own.

With that said, the characters improved and the visuals that were conjured of the times and places was well written.

I did find it interesting that in the versions of the books that I read,
Perry Whitford
When the indefatigable Burmese police commissioner Nayland Smith and his trusty friend and sidekick Dr. Petrie both receive a mysterious midnight summons, the deadly import of the ruse soon dawns on them - the fiendish Dr. Fu-Manchu is back on the loose in London!

The Fu-Manchu novels of Sax Rohmer are shameless Sherlock Holmes rip-offs. The characters and roles of the sleuth and his assistant are entirely lifted from Conan Doyle's earlier model.

The big difference is the figure of Fu-Manchu hims
Carolyn Fitzpatrick
The terribly evil Dr. Fu-Manchu returns to London and completely baffles the entertainingly racist British detectives pursuing him. This is the second book in the series, and a lot of fun for two reasons. On one hand it is exciting and melodramatic, and on the other it is a glimpse into the mindset of the author, writing at a time when the "Yellow Peril" was seen as a scientifically proven reality. Reading this book is both an absorbing diversion and an interesting comparison to the hidden racis ...more
David Merrill
As one would expect there are racial slurs throughout a novel like this, but not nearly as many as its reputation would suggest. Rohmer's descriptive abilities far outweigh the discomfort those slurs will create. Sir Dennis Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie remind me a lot of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, but the focus is more on action/adventure than mystery. Smith's Moriarty, Fu Manchu is the ultimate diabolical, scientific genius. We see his lackeys more often than we see him, but their horrific ...more
Freder
Jun 01, 2009 Freder rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I came to this with a familiarity of the characters based on other media: movies, serials, and especially Marvel's MASTER OF KUNG FU comic book. I don't know what I expected, but I certainly did not expect the writing to be so abysmally bad, or the story to be so uninvolving, or for the characters to be so flat that they disappear when y'turn 'em sideways. This was a big disappointment. Couldn't even finish the damn thing.
Jonathan Stevens

Having read he first two novels, I reluctantly conclude Fu Manchu stories are not
quite my cup of tea. The stories seem like relatively mundane crime thrillers, and
Fu Manchu seems more like a rather clever criminal than the terrifying diabolical genius
I'm supposed to think he is.

Matt Stevens
So with all the great villains I've been introduced to in my lifetime including Darth Vader, Khan, Cobra Commander, Megatron, Hannibal Lector, the Joker, Ming the Merciless; I was very much looking forward to learning more about the villain of villains Fu Manchu.
Many writers I really enjoy make mention to the vileness and depravity that is Fu Manchu.
Oooooooor, so I thought.
Seriously?
I get it was written in another time and that it started as a serial but really?
Characters are only introduced
Brian
Apr 04, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Unfortunately it was a sign of the times that racist remarks were freely written and accepted by many authors, Sax Rohmer was no different.

That sad fact aside, this series of books was written by the masterful Sax Rohmer where there is no dull moment, no chance of catching your breath, and all the reasons why he was such a great author in each book. A style all his own written at a time when harlots, whores and racy clothing wasn't needed to capture and maintain a readers attention.

Fantastic ch
Peter Carrier
May 28, 2016 Peter Carrier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quickly grabs hold and doesn't let go. While this installment still has numerous disparaging references to race and gender (the passage, "It was a lesson in logic-from a woman! I changed the subject." comes to mind), they seem fewer in number, as well as more veiled or tongue in cheek.

Rohmer again demonstrates his marvelous prose, offering intrigue, suspense and mystery around every corner. His pacing is nothing short of masterful, imploring the reader to press on, page after page, to discover w
Carl
May 02, 2012 Carl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Return of Dr. Fu-Manchu," also titled "The Devil Doctor," is the second of the 14 novels featuring the clever battle of minds and wills between Sir Denis Nayland Smith and Fu-Manchu. There is, of course, our narrator, Dr. Petrie, and the mysterious woman returns as well: the beautiful Egyptian, Karamaneh, whose allegiance is often unclear. In fact, Smith and Petrie often are able to survive Fu Manchu's clever schemes or traps through some last minute twist, or by almost "divine" interventio ...more
Felix Zilich
Доктор Фу Манчу возвращается к берегам Туманного Альбиона. Его новая задача – ликвидация работающих на Востоке агентов британского империализма. Для этого доктору нужно совсем немного. Выкрасть и допросить с пристрастием единственного человека, который знает этих агентов лично – пастора Элтема. К сожалению, на пути Доктора снова оказываются Нейланд Смит и доктор Петри. Они спасают Элтема, а потом начинают уничтожать новую агентурную сеть самого Фу.

Но только теперь в их поединке появляются два не
Jason Speck
The second in Sax Rohmer's pulp series featuring the evil genius of Fu-Manchu. Originally written as a series of short episodes that were collected into a novel, the book is best read like a serial, as many of the set pieces are similar in type. Two books into this series one wonders how such 'intelligent' Englishmen could continually fall into the same traps, and how such a criminal 'mastermind' as Fu Manchu could keep failing to kill them. Indeed, towards the end of the novel the doctor notes ...more
Mallory Heart Recommends
Mar 03, 2012 Mallory Heart Recommends rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery, Historical, Horror
Recommended to Mallory Heart Recommends by: Hearts on Fire Reviews
Shelves: march-2012-reads
Words almost fail me to describe the sheer lyrical delight of reading Sax Rohmer’s wonderful Fu Manchu series. Were I banished to a desert island for life, with only a lantern to read by, and told I would be limited to the Fu Manchu Mysteries, gladly I would go (until I wore the pages loose from constant rereading). Mr. Rohmer had an inimitable, unsurpassable literary style; he never needed courses to teach him how to bait and maintain the reader’s hook. His characters, his settings, his plottin ...more
Sandy
Aug 23, 2011 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of the 14 Fu Manchu books that Sax Rohmer gave us. Like the first, it is very episodic in nature, revealing its origin as a series of short magazine stories. A reading of the previous book WOULD be helpful for a full enjoyment of this volume, but is not absolutely necessary. Like the first book, this one is jam-packed with fast-moving action and bizarre adventure. It is surprisingly well written; sometimes even elegantly written. Just note the description of the seedy East End ...more
Denise
Nov 22, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I first discovered this author almost 50 years ago and have actively been seeking older copies since then. Sax Rohmer's books rank up there with the greats, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and H. Rider Haggard. Nayland Smith and his Watson, Petrie, are on a continuous chase to find the evil Dr. Fu Manchu, helped along the way by the doctor's exotic Egyptian follower,Karamaneh.Non stop action throughout the book. If you like Indiana Jones, this is a book you will like.
Read1000books
Don't read this book if you're looking for over-the-top violence, racy sexual content, or coarse profanity. However...if your tastes in literature include good old-fashioned action...HERE IT IS!! Almost from the first page you get lurking assassins, hair-breadth escapes, mysterious castles, trap doors, strange creatures creeping through the night, quicksand, haunted houses; and with chapter titles such as: "Dark Eyes Looked Into Mine", "The Coughing Horror", "A Cry On The Moor", and "The Mummy", ...more
Abner Rosenweig
Jun 08, 2014 Abner Rosenweig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cliffhanger, episodic intrigue of the Fu-Manchu series is entertaining. Rohmer is imaginative and inventive and although the repetitive structure of the episodes can become predictable and the prejudice against the Chinese race can appear insensitive, the books remain a great adventure for rainy day summer Sunday reading.
C
Mar 11, 2016 C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Period piece

This is a great period piece. The characters and the settings are very characteristic of the time. Obviously, the dialogue and plot also represent a previous time.
David Ivester
Well written. Good plot devices; haunted house particularly well done.
Jenna
Jul 02, 2015 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A similar scenario to a Sherlock Holmes story, full of intrigue and suspense.
Ronald
Feb 07, 2016 Ronald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REREAD SOMETIME in 2008
Alan
More of the same from Nayland Smith and Dr Petrie. An enjoyable romp if you can overlook its political incorrectness.
David Allen
Dr. Petrie, Nayland Smith, Karamaneh and Fu Manchu are back. As with the first book, the sequel is a series of episodes of about 20 pages each, usually involving death traps, miraculous escapes, horrifying tortures and an embarrassing Orientalism. There's a near-Lovecraftian nightmarishness to many scenes. A guilty pleasure.
Droid
Apr 03, 2013 Droid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Many strange and terrible memories are mine, memories stranger and more terrible than those of the average man; but this thing which now moved slowly down upon us through the impenetrable gloom of that haunted place, was (if the term be understood) almost absurdly horrible."

Just like your writing, Mr Rohmer!
Douglas
May 06, 2011 Douglas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another book of essentially short stories about the chasing an non-capturing of Dr. Fu-Manchu. Mr. Smith and Dr. Petrie work hard at catching the evil Dr. but he outwits them time and again.

I'll read the 3rd and last of the series eventually, but not right away.
JW
Jun 25, 2015 JW rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes incredibly racist (It is nearly 100 years old), Sax Rohmer tells one hell of a suspenseful story filled with foggy London streets and he truly is a master of suspense. Fu Manchu is Darth Vader without the mommy issues.
Neil
May 31, 2012 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Fu Manchu series is very much more of the same. once again very episodic as it was compiled from a series of magazine stories. Fu Manchu himself is rarely in it, but his influence pervades everywhere.
  • Justice, Inc. (The Avenger #1)
  • The Seventh Man
  • The Living Shadow
  • When the World Shook: Being an Account of the Great Adventure of Bastin, Bickley, and Arbuthnot
  • The Mysteries
  • The Eye of Osiris
  • The Chinese Bell Murders
  • El Borak and Other Desert Adventures
  • The Middle of Things
  • The Old Man in the Corner
  • Tarzan the Untamed (Tarzan, #7)
  • A Brother's Blood
  • The Blackpool Highflyer (Jim Stringer, #2)
  • The Mutiny of the Elsinore
  • Warriors of the Heynai (Jake West, #2)
  • The Devastators (Matt Helm, #9)
  • Printcrime (Overclocked #1)
  • Kai Lung's Golden Hours (Kai Lung #2)
AKA Arthur Sarsfield Ward (real name); Michael Furey.

Arthur Henry Sarsfield Ward (15 February 1883 - 1 June 1959), better known as Sax Rohmer, was a prolific English novelist. He is best remembered for his series of novels featuring the master criminal Dr. Fu Manchu.

Born in Birmingham to a working class family, Rohmer initially pursued a career as a civil servant before concentrating on writing fu
More about Sax Rohmer...

Fu Manchu (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Tales of Chinatown