Start by marking “Equivocation” as Want to Read:
Equivocation

Equivocation

4.57 of 5 stars 4.57  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The official script for the 2009 world premier production at the Angus Bowmer Theater.

King James commissions Shakespeare to write a play about the Gunpowder Plot.
Spiral-bound, 81 pages
Published 2009 by Oregon Shakespeare Festival

To ask other readers questions about Equivocation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Equivocation

itpdx
This is the script for a play that was premiered at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival this spring. I saw the play in September and picked up a copy of the script from the Guild shop. I wanted to read it because there is so much to think about in the play. The OSF production is wonderful and I am glad I saw it before attempting the script because reading the script could be confusing if I didn't have the characters firmly in mind. The play has six characters, four play multiple parts and having see ...more
Miriam
I started laughing on page one, continued through two viewings, and haven't stopped yet. An exploration of the Powder Plot (Guy Fawkes), Hamlet, Macbeth, and martyrdom, there's a lot packed into a short space.
Emily
I definitely am anxious to see this staged by Virginia Rep. I think I'll have a better understanding of my feelings about the play then.

But I did love the plot. I struggled to put it down.
bookinglibrarian
We saw this incredible play at its world premier at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland this summer, then saw it two more times (with the same cast & production) during its recent run at Seattle Repertory Theatre. Cain's drama overflows with intrigue and politics, while exploring the meaning of friends, family and faith in the tumultuous period following the Gunpowder Plot, set in the imagined theatrical life of Shagspeare's company at The Globe. You will not see (or read) a more thou ...more
Jan
Brilliant play. I saw it in Ashland, Oregon, in the summer of 2010, I believe. It revolved around the Gunpowder Plot in England--Guy Fawkes's attempt to blow of Parliament, if I am remembering correctly. In advance of reading the play and attending the performance, I read Antonia Fraser's "Faith and Treason: The Story of the Gunpowder Plot," Anchor Books, 1996. POWERFUL exploration of conscience, responsibility, choices, and conflicting moral obligations (the very stuff of life).
G. Adams
Really fucking good play. Technically demanding -- acting and effects. The worst kind of technique, where a lot of craft is required to make it look effortless and easy. Characters play multiple roles, switching parts through pure acumen. Fascinating intellectually and emotionally. A nodding familiarity with Shakespeare's plays recommended, but not required.
Kevin
I bought this script when I had a chance to view the show at Arena Stage last year. Going through the story again, it's still just as fun. Cain's story swerves and jumps with dexterity, and shifts the ending several times along the way. It's a fun play with emotional and intellectual depth, while still presenting the occasional Easter egg for Shakespeare-philes.
Joyful
This is a play commisioned specifically for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. I was lucky enough to see it (beautifully) performed alongside its intended companion Macbeth. It contains a lot of history about the Gunpowder Plot and some details about William Shakespeare the man. Wonderfully written - great for Shakespeare lovers!
Colleen
What an incredible play! I saw the original production at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in 2009, and purchased the script at that time. That production has stayed with me and I count it as one of the best pieces of theatre I have ever experienced. I only read the play for the first time now and the writing is so good.
Letitia
Saw this with the original cast at Seattle Repertory. Beautiful! Clever! At moments difficult to follow with actors playing so many different roles, but the depth and wit of the script are exceptional.
Debs
Jan 05, 2011 Debs rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays, 2011
Loved it when I saw the play performed at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in 2009, loved it again reading it. There is a great deal in these 80 pages, and I will be rereading it in the future.
Jacob Rajan
Jacob Rajan marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Nancy Adel
Nancy Adel marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Page Tazewell
Page Tazewell marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Chris Cope
Chris Cope marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
James Hoskins
James Hoskins marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Blaire Baron
Blaire Baron marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Carey Harrison
Carey Harrison marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Glynis C
Glynis C marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bill Cain is an American playwright noted for an impish humor. He is the founder of the Boston Shakespeare Company, where he was Artistic Director for seven seasons, directing most of the Shakespeare canon. He is a Jesuit pries with teaching experience in New York's Lower East Side.
More about Bill Cain...
Hitler's Last Gamble: Battle of the Bulge (Pertaruhan Terakhir Hitler: Pertempuran Bulge) The Battle of the Bulge: Turning Back Hitler's Final Push I Know Why the Dogwoods Blush 9 Circles Dove of War