Start by marking “An Inconvenient Woman” as Want to Read:
An Inconvenient Woman

An Inconvenient Woman

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,227 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Jules Mendelson is wealthy. Astronomically so. He and his wife lead the kind of charity-giving, art-filled, high-society life for which each has been carefully groomed. Until Jules falls in love with Flo March, a beautiful actress/waitress. What Flo discovers about the superrich is not a pretty sight. And in the end, she wants no more than what she was promised. But when F ...more
Published November 17th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about An Inconvenient Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Inconvenient Woman

Neva
Now this is a freakin' masterpiece. Imagine, if you will, an aging billionaire with a high society wife that grows orchids. Oh, that's boring? WAIT. Now, also imagine that billionaire having an affair with a coffee shop waitress. Still lame? Throw in a male prostitute, pot smoking, revised wills, and a gossip columnist! How about that? Oh, you're still bored. I'm not. Whatever. I GUESS WE KNOW WHO HAS GOOD TASTE IN BOOKS, MR. GENIUS.
Lara
Like eating a box of chocolates, guilty but delicious. Love Dominick Dunne's gossipy style - with a few rapier-like observations he wickedly brings to life his characters. A social satire on how the rich live, and live above the law. Even more jaw-dropping to read it is based on a real-life set of events.
Laurel-Rain
What happens when a woman becomes "inconvenient"? Flo March is about to find out.

Her wealthy married lover has provided her with many of the material things in life---clothes, jewelry, a home---and has promised to always take care of her. When he becomes ill, however, and the end seems near, he even arranges to buy the home for her and provide a monthly allowance...

So what happens to this dream? Suddenly her world is topsy-turvy. She is persona non grata everywhere she goes. And frightening thin
Cindy Gonzaga-ramil
Didn't expect that I'd like this book but I did! This is 1000000 pages long and I finished reading in 1.5 days. Plot was so well executed. There were so many supporting which normally turns me off but their connection to the main plot all made sense. They all added something necessary to the plot. I also like the choice of adjective in the title.. mostly because I'd never heard of inconvenient as a description of a person before and I think that this is pretty clever. Loved the writing and I act ...more
Helen Azar
Based on the true story of Vicky Morgan and Alfred Bloomingdale's affair - and the former's murder- this is Dominick Dunne at his best!
Christina
Dominick Dunne is a must read. I will be seeking out more of his novels!
Richard Curry
I have not read any books in this genre before. I did enjoy it. It was interesting and engaging. It IS a cautionary tale, and shows us that everyone has flaws and weaknesses, and immense wealth does not guarantee good choices nor outcomes. One review says it is based on a real series of events, and although it is fiction, there is much apparent reflection of the foibles of many real people in the twisting story of AN INCONVENIENT WOMAN by Dominick Dunne. Caution: contains depictions of brutal mu ...more
Susan Daly
As you may or may not have noticed I don't even put books up on this site that I don't really, really, like for one reason or another. I don't know if I have even put all of Dominick Dunne's books on my list or not, but I have read each and every one of them; well, I lie, I didn't read his very first book, and the name of it escapes me at the moment. I also admit whenever he published a new book, I bought it immediately and read it as soon as it was in my hands.

But he was always a quick, juicy,
Alicia
This book is the very definition of "guilty pleasure." It's all about rich people having affairs and covering up murders and going to dinner parties, and the characters have names like Kippie Petworth and Hortense Madden and Lonny Edge. It's not Shakespeare, but it's thoroughly entertaining.
Nicole
A floridly captivating novel that gripped me for the last 200 pages. Do I really have to do anything--make dinner, do laundry, watch tv? No thank you, I would like to read this book instead. Just fantastic.
Rebekah
Couldn't put it down! In true Dominick Dunne fashion, it's a juicy picture of the way that the wealthy live. Different rules, different morals, different lives altogether. I loved every page!
Emily
“An Inconvenient Women” paints a cautionary tale of the downside to being a mistress. This book focuses on Flo March, a young woman who was Jules Mendelsen's mistress.Her wealthy married lover has provides her with many of the material things in life---clothes, jewelry, a home---and has promises to always take care of her. Even when he becomes ill and the end seems eminent, he arranges to buy the home for her and provide a monthly allowance...

Dunne says of Flo March that most people who meet he
Rachel
An Inconvenient Woman is the tale of three people - Jules Mendelson, a wealthy businessman, his wife Pauline, a socialite, and Jules' mistress, Flo - and how they behave in the wake of the death of Pauline's friend Hector.

It took me quite a while to get into this (approximately 300 pages of a book which is 496 pages long). I couldn't understand why Jules was trying so hard to cover up Hector's death, until I got to a particular point in the book. Then, I really began to appreciate Dunne's tale
Khoisan
I find it hard to describe this book. It's so wonderfully written that I am at loss for words. It's unlike any book I have ever read. It has such great characters that keep driving the story forward. I felt as though I was secretly peeking into their lives the whole time, and I wasn't supposed to be there. Great story; great read. Highly recommended.
Joanne

This story had all the right elements of rich, famous, murder, cover-up and scandal. Dunne writes a story that connects all the characters and shows how money can buy happiness and security. It kind of reminds me of the old Dallas/Dynasty night time soap operas I used to watch.

Jules and Pauline are a power couple rich in business and adamant on separating themselves from the Hollywood crowd. Pauline is a pillar of grace under pressure until slowly her marriage and world start to unravel when he
Elliott
The penultimate selection in the Hollywood Region of LA Weekly's Best L.A. Novel Ever tournament, "An Inconvenient Woman" is one of those salacious Hollywood novels that reveal (and revel in) the machinations of the rich and powerful. Although it is by no means poorly written, I am convinced a novel of this genre could never rise above the level of pot-boiler. After I had finished reading about two-thirds of it, I really wanted it to just end.

I'm considering filing a grievance with the selectio
Lynsey
Good, not as good as a Season In Purgatory
Laureen
A guilty pleasure for sure.... I couldn't put it down. The ending, however, was a bit disappointing.
Jenn
Read this book in high school and always buy it when I see it at thrift stores to pass out to my friends. There's just something about it I enjoy - a guilty pleasure.
Kaethe
A strong, zippy story about how really horrible rich people are. A fun read.
Esther
An excellent story, partly fascinating because it happens in a world that is so alien to most of us.
Janreads
Loved it all the way!
Kathy Ross
Perfect summer read. Entertaining and suspenseful!
Cecilia
A scandal-ridden story of privilege, fame and money...all of which Dunne excels in writing about. After a high-society, prominent L.A. figure is found having an affair with a younger, MUCH less affluent woman, the man's house of cards begins to closely and meticulously come crashing down around him. VERY well done but the consummate author about society's coming and goings...Dunne.
Cuykendall
Lifestyles of the Rich and Amoral. I gave up halfway through.
Kathy
All of Dominick Dunne's novels are just wonderful! He does something fairly unique; he takes high profile murder cases but then changes the names, the cities, etc., and writes fiction. It's not hard, though, to figure out who the major players are in these books.
Liz
For the super-wealthy life is not always what it seems.
What happens to the main characters when the well-mannered world starts to unravel. How do the wealthy deal with tragedy that infringes on their
own flawless exterior.
This is a well-written page turner.
Christianne
I'm pretty sure I read this a couple years ago and don't remember it, so I'm re-reading it. I think I liked it before, so I'll see how I feel this time around.
*****************

Yup, definitely read it before and was happy for the refresher. It was good again!
Sue
My guilty pleasure. Bought this because I'd always like Dominick Dunne's writings in Vanity Fair and after he died, wondered what his books are like. this is the first I've read. I did enjoy it and am going to pick out another.
  • Family and Friends
  • Dance While You Can
  • Social Crimes (Jo Slater #1)
  • The World of Suzie Wong
  • Are You My Mother?
  • The Outlaw Hearts
  • Before We Say Goodbye
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bo Jo Jones
Dominick Dunne was an American writer and investigative journalist whose subjects frequently hinged on the ways high society interacts with the judiciary system. He was a producer in Hollywood and is also known from his frequent appearances on television.

After his studies at Williams College and service in World War II, Dunne moved to New York, then to Hollywood, where he directed Playhouse 90 and
More about Dominick Dunne...
A Season in Purgatory The Two Mrs. Grenvilles People Like Us Another City, Not My Own Too Much Money