An Inconvenient Woman

An Inconvenient Woman

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  971 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Jules Mendelson is wealthy. Astronomically so. He and his wife lead the kind of charity-giving, art-filled, high-society life for which each has been carefully groomed. Until Jules falls in love with Flo March, a beautiful actress/waitress. What Flo discovers about the superrich is not a pretty sight. And in the end, she wants no more than what she was promised. But when F...more
Published November 17th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published 1990)

Neva
Now this is a freakin' masterpiece. Imagine, if you will, an aging billionaire with a high society wife that grows orchids. Oh, that's boring? WAIT. Now, also imagine that billionaire having an affair with a coffee shop waitress. Still lame? Throw in a male prostitute, pot smoking, revised wills, and a gossip columnist! How about that? Oh, you're still bored. I'm not. Whatever. I GUESS WE KNOW WHO HAS GOOD TASTE IN BOOKS, MR. GENIUS.
Christina
Dominick Dunne is a must read. I will be seeking out more of his novels!
Susan Daly
As you may or may not have noticed I don't even put books up on this site that I don't really, really, like for one reason or another. I don't know if I have even put all of Dominick Dunne's books on my list or not, but I have read each and every one of them; well, I lie, I didn't read his very first book, and the name of it escapes me at the moment. I also admit whenever he published a new book, I bought it immediately and read it as soon as it was in my hands.

But he was always a quick, juicy,...more
Laurel-Rain
What happens when a woman becomes "inconvenient"? Flo March is about to find out.

Her wealthy married lover has provided her with many of the material things in life---clothes, jewelry, a home---and has promised to always take care of her. When he becomes ill, however, and the end seems near, he even arranges to buy the home for her and provide a monthly allowance...

So what happens to this dream? Suddenly her world is topsy-turvy. She is persona non grata everywhere she goes. And frightening thin...more
Lara
Like eating a box of chocolates, guilty but delicious. Love Dominick Dunne's gossipy style - with a few rapier-like observations he wickedly brings to life his characters. A social satire on how the rich live, and live above the law. Even more jaw-dropping to read it is based on a real-life set of events.
Alicia
This book is the very definition of "guilty pleasure." It's all about rich people having affairs and covering up murders and going to dinner parties, and the characters have names like Kippie Petworth and Hortense Madden and Lonny Edge. It's not Shakespeare, but it's thoroughly entertaining.
Nicole
A floridly captivating novel that gripped me for the last 200 pages. Do I really have to do anything--make dinner, do laundry, watch tv? No thank you, I would like to read this book instead. Just fantastic.
Rebekah
Couldn't put it down! In true Dominick Dunne fashion, it's a juicy picture of the way that the wealthy live. Different rules, different morals, different lives altogether. I loved every page!
Emily
“An Inconvenient Women” paints a cautionary tale of the downside to being a mistress. This book focuses on Flo March, a young woman who was Jules Mendelsen's mistress.Her wealthy married lover has provides her with many of the material things in life---clothes, jewelry, a home---and has promises to always take care of her. Even when he becomes ill and the end seems eminent, he arranges to buy the home for her and provide a monthly allowance...

Dunne says of Flo March that most people who meet he...more
Joanne

This story had all the right elements of rich, famous, murder, cover-up and scandal. Dunne writes a story that connects all the characters and shows how money can buy happiness and security. It kind of reminds me of the old Dallas/Dynasty night time soap operas I used to watch.

Jules and Pauline are a power couple rich in business and adamant on separating themselves from the Hollywood crowd. Pauline is a pillar of grace under pressure until slowly her marriage and world start to unravel when he...more
Laureen
A guilty pleasure for sure.... I couldn't put it down. The ending, however, was a bit disappointing.
Jenn
Read this book in high school and always buy it when I see it at thrift stores to pass out to my friends. There's just something about it I enjoy - a guilty pleasure.
Esther
An excellent story, partly fascinating because it happens in a world that is so alien to most of us.
Cecilia
A scandal-ridden story of privilege, fame and money...all of which Dunne excels in writing about. After a high-society, prominent L.A. figure is found having an affair with a younger, MUCH less affluent woman, the man's house of cards begins to closely and meticulously come crashing down around him. VERY well done but the consummate author about society's coming and goings...Dunne.
Kathy
All of Dominick Dunne's novels are just wonderful! He does something fairly unique; he takes high profile murder cases but then changes the names, the cities, etc., and writes fiction. It's not hard, though, to figure out who the major players are in these books.
Liz
For the super-wealthy life is not always what it seems.
What happens to the main characters when the well-mannered world starts to unravel. How do the wealthy deal with tragedy that infringes on their
own flawless exterior.
This is a well-written page turner.
Christianne
I'm pretty sure I read this a couple years ago and don't remember it, so I'm re-reading it. I think I liked it before, so I'll see how I feel this time around.
*****************

Yup, definitely read it before and was happy for the refresher. It was good again!
Sue
My guilty pleasure. Bought this because I'd always like Dominick Dunne's writings in Vanity Fair and after he died, wondered what his books are like. this is the first I've read. I did enjoy it and am going to pick out another.
Tom
The friend of an upper class couple is murdered, and the husband, Jules, effects a cover-up. The remainder of the book relates the events that brought about the cover-up including the tale of Flo, the "inconvenient woman."
Cathie
Excellent storyline, extremely hard to put down. I think of Dunne as more of a true to life crime writer, but was surprised by the great writing style...similar to Sidney Sheldon. Definitely need to read more Dunne.
Leslie
Hm. This is a silly book about unscrupulous rich people, but it gets into your head while you're reading it. The plot is not predictable, and so it does keep stringing you along. But not a good investment of time.
Leslie
Wonderful, entertaining, bitingly insightful look into high society. Beautifully written and plotted, highly recommended for anyone who enjoys stories of personal intrigue and secrets.
Kathy
Abridged audio I paid 10 cents for and didn't feel bad about throwing in the trash. It's apparently the fictionalized story about some real unscrupulous rich Californians.
Bethany
REALLY trashy trash. . .I never know if I'm thrilled or disappointed to find out how the other half lives. It does, however, make me a LOT more satisfied with my lot in life!
Maureen B.
My favorite Dominick Dunne book. I loved the characters and the story. Dunne did a great job "loosely" basing this story on his real life acquaintenances.
Sandra
loved this book...author dominick dunne wonderful writer in his hayday..this book is lite reading great for the summer on the beach etc...
Helen Azar
Based on the true story of Vicky Morgan and Alfred Bloomingdale's affair - and the former's murder- this is Dominick Dunne at his best!
Amy
Justin got this book for me for Christmas because I liked his show that will no longer be airing new episodes since he died in August.
Sarah Boyette
Very well-written. I was enthralled until the very end, where things were just wrapped up a little too neatly. Still a really good read.
Beth
I can't remember a lot about this book - but I know I loved it, and I am going to re-read it and perhaps another of Dunne's books.
  • Social Crimes (Jo Slater #1)
  • Promises
  • The Tattooed Soldier
  • Second Honeymoon
  • Shutter Island
  • Poinciana
Dominick Dunne was an American writer and investigative journalist whose subjects frequently hinged on the ways high society interacts with the judiciary system. He was a producer in Hollywood and is also known from his frequent appearances on television.

After his studies at Williams College and service in World War II, Dunne moved to New York, then to Hollywood, where he directed Playhouse 90 and...more
More about Dominick Dunne...
A Season in Purgatory The Two Mrs. Grenvilles People Like Us Another City, Not My Own Too Much Money