Start by marking “Blade of the Poisoner” as Want to Read:
Blade of the Poisoner

Blade of the Poisoner (Poisoner #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Twelve-year-old Jarral and three friends with strong psychic Talents fight the evil of Prince Mephtik the Poisoner, who serves the Demon-Driver.
Mass Market Paperback, 194 pages
Published November 1st 1989 by Starfire (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Blade of the Poisoner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blade of the Poisoner

Beloved by Toni MorrisonMort by Terry PratchettThe Drawing of the Three by Stephen KingFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggWatchmen by Alan Moore
Best Books of 1987
145th out of 156 books — 89 voters
Isle of Winds by James FahySwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Harry Potter Collection 1-4 by J.K. RowlingArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Recommended Modern Children's Fantasy
114th out of 169 books — 183 voters

More lists with this book...

From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Dramatisation of the sci-fi fantasy novel. Douglas Hill's sci-fi fantasy stars Eric Allen.
Search
Aug 15, 2012 Search rated it really liked it
This was my first contact with fantasy fiction apart from the fairy tales my grandmothers and aunt told me as a child. I was absolutely enamored by the book and tried for a long time to get my hands on the sequel but somehow could never find it.
I remember wanting to be a firebrand for the long time, after reading this. lol :)
I think, if I could find the sequel even now at one of my local book stores I'd get it and read it in an instant.
Charlton
Jul 04, 2011 Charlton rated it really liked it
This was one of the first fantasy novels i read. It left a major impression. I think due to the influence of this book i prefer sci-fi/fantasy where stories are either based in medieval times or people use the power of their minds.
Nikki
Jan 17, 2008 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
A young boy encounters the Poisoner while in the forest, is captured, and is cut by his sword. This blade has a special power, for whoever suffers a wound from the sword will die by the next full moon. As the full moon draws nigh, he will feel the weight of death approaching...
This is the book that not only introduced me to the genre of fantasy, but also helped me to discover the world of angst. While some might not consider this book as engrossing as I - it is your typical fantasy in basic sto
Sara
Feb 22, 2015 Sara added it
BBC radio adaptation.
Vinnie Clough
Aug 07, 2016 Vinnie Clough rated it really liked it
Nice easy book to read and follow,

4 people with talents, one cut by a cursed blade.....
Mike Behlke
Aug 08, 2013 Mike Behlke rated it really liked it
I read this book in 7th grade, I had found it in my jr. high's library. I remember liking it a lot. I liked the idea that these characters had special powers, like the X-men. I found this book, again, in 2002. I re-read it then, when I was 23 and found it to be a short and easy read, obviously, since it is gears toward a younger audience. I never read the sequal.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Feb 28, 2013 Andrew Obrigewitsch rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I read this when I was a kid and loved it. It was the first fantasy book I read on my own. So it has a special place in my heart, I'm sure if I where to reread it I would not like it as much, like maybe a one or two star. But for a kid it's great stuff I I can find a copy I will get it for my son.
Noor Jahangir
Jan 05, 2011 Noor Jahangir rated it liked it
I have fond memories of this book from my teen years. I know I liked it then, so I scored it 3 stars. Can't remember the plot and haven't read it recently, so the points are just for mere nostalgia.
Bettie☯
Melissa
Aug 07, 2007 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: non-adult
This book is probably kind of crappy, but I sure loved it when I was a kid and it's taken me years to work enough google magic to find the title and author again.
Neil Pearson
Aug 07, 2011 Neil Pearson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From what i can remember (16 years ago) this was great. Kids with cool powers and evil monsters for them to overcome. Shame its out of print!
Bill
May 21, 2009 Bill rated it really liked it
Read it in sixth grade. Probably not as good now.
Aaron
Aug 10, 2010 Aaron rated it liked it
For what is is (young adult fantasy) it's pretty good.
Sabur76
Sufficient when I was a kid.
Hannah
Hannah added it
Aug 22, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Micah Evans
Micah Evans rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Renuka
Renuka marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Dantegideon
Dantegideon rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Fingaz
Fingaz is currently reading it
May 31, 2016
J
J marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Rob Sharp
Rob Sharp marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Dragonbards (Dragonbards, #3)
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Different Story, Vol. 3 (Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Different Story, #3)
  • Talisman of Death (Fighting Fantasy: Reissues 1, #24)
  • The Silver Key
  • Princess Smartypants
  • The Official Pokémon Handbook
  • Clarice Bean, That's Me!
  • Alien Secrets
  • Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time:The Eye of the World #1.5
  • A Not-So-Grimm Fairytale
  • The Headless Horseman Rides Tonight: More Poems to Trouble Your Sleep
  • おやすみプンプン 9
  • Japanese Mythology
  • Tank Farm Dynamo
  • Shaman Warrior, Vol. 1
  • Shadow Climber (Bifrost Guardians, #2)
  • Dead to the World (Water Lovers of Sirilon #3)
  • The Compleat Werewolf and Other Stories of Fantasy and Science Fiction
Douglas Arthur Hill (6 April 1935 – 21 June 2007) was a Canadian science fiction author, editor and reviewer. He was born in Brandon, Manitoba, the son of a railroad engineer, and was raised in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. An avid science fiction reader from an early age, he studied English at the University of Saskatchewan (where he earned an Honours B.A. in 1957) and at the University of Toronto ...more
More about Douglas Arthur Hill...

Poisoner (2 books)