Start by marking “Adopted Jane” as Want to Read:
Adopted Jane

Adopted Jane

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Jane Douglas has lived at the James Ballard Memorial Home for orphans for most of her childhood. Reliable and sensible, she has watched other children find families of their own, but never once has any family wanted to adopt Jane. Then one magical summer, Jane gets not one -- but two-- invitations for a month each to live with a real family in a real house. If only the sum ...more
Published November 1st 2002 by Green Mansion Press (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Adopted Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adopted Jane

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth GoudgePippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyThe Hundred Dresses by Eleanor EstesBetsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace
Best Children's Books of the 1940s
42nd out of 95 books — 15 voters
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëStellaluna by Janell Cannon
Best Fiction about Adoption
96th out of 162 books — 134 voters

More lists with this book...

Miki
This is my "comfort book". I read it whenever I just want to feel good, and it never fails to make me happy.
Audrey
Mar 02, 2013 Audrey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Betsy-Tacy or LIW fans
Recommended to Audrey by: Maud-L (I think)
This was a darling book! I can't think of the last time I encountered a heroine so relatable and endearing. I'm tempted to give this five stars.

Jane is such a sweet character, but she's not too perfect, so as to be unlikeable. I like how her inner monologues are included, as it shows how perceptive and thoughtful she is. But she's no pushover, either (case in point: how she took charge of that birthday party situation).

I think this would appeal to fans of the Betsy-Tacy series (it takes place a
Wendy
Sweet and funny. I wasn't sure if some of the incidents/setting were derivative or just orphan tropes, but it doesn't really matter. I felt as robbed of the rest of the visit in Cherry Valley as Jane did!
Susan
Apr 03, 2012 Susan added it
One of the "Betsy-Tacy" ladies mentioned this title at our last club meeting, and a big light came on inside my head. I went home and ordered the book, certain it had been one of favorites although I couldn't remember anything except the title. As soon as I started to read it, I realized that, while the details seemed new, I could picture the ending in my mind. That didn't ruin the experience of reading it, though. A truly lovely book with wonderful characters.
Ann aka Iftcan
Cute story about a young girl who has lived in an orphanage her entire life, and is now given a chance to be adopted. A chance at not ONE home but two. Jane, who is as practical as her name (why do we always think that Janes are practical? But it does seem to be a fairly common belief.) One family is on a farm, and has raised one family already and wish to have another family--or at least another daughter. The other potential adopter is a wealthy single woman. At the end of the summer, both fami ...more
Elaine
I hesitate to give this book only 3 stars, yet I can't bring myself to give it more. I liked it, but I will have no problem donating it instead of rereading it. Jane's inner dialog bugged me. The story was a little too perfect. I love the Betsy Tacy books. When I read those, I scrounged together three full sets of them so each of my daughters could have their own set and I'd have one too. Adopted Jane I'll donate. So not a bad book, and enjoyable to read if you have lots of time for reading, but ...more
Ruth Sophia
Lovely story!

I picked this up for real cheap because it seemed like a cute story & I've rarely been disappointed with books from SBS. I'm so glad I "risked" my dime! This is a simple, touching story from a bygone age that bring the wonder back to life. Jane is so conscientious, sensible, imaginative, respectful, and honest (with delightful naivety) you love her from the start. This is definitely a book to hold on to if you come across it!
Louise
I loved this book when I was about the same age as Jane. Re-read recently and was surprised at how well it stands up. Unlike many orphans in books Jane is treated kindly in the orphanage but of course it's not the same as belonging to someone. Jane gets a chance to live in two different homes and experience all kinds of things that she has only dreamed about.
Faith
This is a book that I first read as a child. I don’t remember if I found it at the library or if I had my own copy; if I did have my own copy, it didn’t survive. Only my fondest memories did. I loved how this girl was so plucky, so hungry for love, and so worthy of love that two different families wanted to adopt her. I loved how she made the right choice. I like the book so much that when I found it in the Orange County Library when I was in my mid-20s, I wanted to steal it. But I was honourabl ...more
Angela O
This is my all time favorite book from my childhood.
The details by the author makes the book come alive!
Lara
I remember really enjoying this book after picking it up for 15 cents at my elementary school book fair. I think it reminded me of the Betsy-Tacy books, which were longtime favorites. Upon re-reading, though, it was charming and enjoyable but just kind of...blah. Jane was a little too sensible and goody-goodyish for my liking (although I suppose I can't blame her for behaving since she wanted to be Adopted Jane and not Orphan Jane and blah-di-blah).
Angela
A simple and entertaining book for young readers or those interested in adoption. Jane - the protagonist - is a somewhat flat character, but she was determined and spunky enough to keep my interest anyway. The abrupt ending was disappointing. However, anyone who enjoys reading about childhood romps in general should enjoy it very much.
Kim
One of the reasons that I enjoy reading older books is for their historical context. But as an adoptive mother, I found reading this book to be just one big squirm-fest. Couldn't stay with it. (And I actually don't know if I would have liked it if I'd read it at age 10 either -- Jane lacked appeal as a character. For me, anyway.)
Libby
Mom gave this, Ginger Pye, and The Saturdays to me from her own childhood reading, and this was definitely my favorite at the time. It has a fairy tale quality to it (and no abused children), but is grounded in the dreariness of an orphanage, the desire to make a good impression, and the impossibility of understanding adults' motives!
Lisa
I won this book as a prize (I forget exactly what for)at school in second or third grade. Fortunately, I loved it. Great story of a turn of the 19th century orphan looking for a home. Jane is self-reliant and with little self-pity; spunky, but still wanting to belong to a family.
Lisa Vegan
Aug 06, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls, those interested in adoption
I adored this book when I was young. The story of an orphan girl (I loved orphan stories), and the two households who are interested in her. I remember I disagreed with the major decision she made, but that didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the book.
RJ
I read so many books as a child, not many of the stories stick with me. But I remember this, and how my perception of the ending changed over time. Need to put this on my list of "books to give young people".
Sandra
This was one of my favorite books when I was a child. I just requested it from my local library so I can re-read.

I too am a big Maud Hart Lovelace fan. So I can see why I liked this so much!
Erin
Oct 12, 2007 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Betsy-Tacy fans
Shelves: childrens, favorites
I adored this book as a child and it's a great re-read....the descriptions remind me favorably of Maud Hart Lovelace's.
CLM
What can I say, I love orphan stories! I am glad this is back in print for a new generation.
Mazzou B
Nice. Not necessarily one to re-read, but pleasant.
Alyssa
one of my favourite books to re-read from childhood!!
Susie
I love orphan stories! This is a keeper, thanks Erin!
Jane
I love this children's book and have read it many times.
Gaile
Read as a child.
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Ekaterina
Ekaterina marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Scholar
Scholar marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Aysha
Aysha marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Helen Fern Daringer was born in 1892 in eastern Illinois. Independent and way ahead of her time, Ms. Daringer graduated from Eastern Illinois University, obtained a Master's Degree in English, and headed to New York City, where she became a professor of English literature at Columbia University. Miss Daringer wrote numerous books for children and young adults, including "Country Cousin," "The Turn ...more
More about Helen F. Daringer...
Pilgrim Kate Stepsister Sally Yesterday's Daughter Debbie of the Green Gate The Poet's Craft