Start by marking “Adopted Jane” as Want to Read:
Adopted Jane

Adopted Jane

Jane Douglas has lived at the James Ballard Memorial Home for orphans for most of her childhood. Reliable and sensible, she has watched other children find families of their own, but never once has any family wanted to adopt Jane. Then one magical summer, Jane gets not one -- but two-- invitations for a month each to live with a real family in a real house. If only the sum ...more
Published November 1st 2002 by Green Mansion Press (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Adopted Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adopted Jane

Lisa Vegan
Jun 19, 2015 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girls, those interested in adoption
I adored this book when I was young. The story of an orphan girl (I loved orphan stories), and the two households who are interested in her. I remember I disagreed with the major decision she made, but that didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the book.

From my reread June 2015: I see why it was one of my favorite books in elementary school, more than 50 years ago. It was so weird because I immediately remembered many of the lines, some verbatim. It’s too bad about the anachronisms I was exposed t
Deborah Markus
The short review: If you loved Anne of Green Gables and/or Daddy Long-Legs, you will freakin' adore this. I'm almost positive. I mean, how could you not?

The details: Adopted Jane will make you crave cake for at least a week. There's more to the story than that, of course, but cake is a recurring literary theme here. Reading this prompted my earliest baking experiments, which in turn led to the creation of my legendary three-chocolate brownie recipe, which you can find on my blog because I don't
Emily
Jul 28, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Heartwarming" is not a word that shows up often in my reviews, but it certainly belongs in this one. Published in 1947, but set in the early 1900s, Adopted Jane is an appealing orphan story that really deserves to be better known. I just wish I had encountered it as a child -- I'm sure it would have been a perennial comfort read.
Miki
Sep 14, 2012 Miki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my "comfort book". I read it whenever I just want to feel good, and it never fails to make me happy.
Audrey
Mar 02, 2013 Audrey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Betsy-Tacy or LIW fans
Recommended to Audrey by: Maud-L (I think)
This was a darling book! I can't think of the last time I encountered a heroine so relatable and endearing. I'm tempted to give this five stars.

Jane is such a sweet character, but she's not too perfect, so as to be unlikeable. I like how her inner monologues are included, as it shows how perceptive and thoughtful she is. But she's no pushover, either (case in point: how she took charge of that birthday party situation).

I think this would appeal to fans of the Betsy-Tacy series (it takes place a
Wendy
Sep 20, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
Sweet and funny. I wasn't sure if some of the incidents/setting were derivative or just orphan tropes, but it doesn't really matter. I felt as robbed of the rest of the visit in Cherry Valley as Jane did!
Susan
Apr 03, 2012 Susan added it
One of the "Betsy-Tacy" ladies mentioned this title at our last club meeting, and a big light came on inside my head. I went home and ordered the book, certain it had been one of favorites although I couldn't remember anything except the title. As soon as I started to read it, I realized that, while the details seemed new, I could picture the ending in my mind. That didn't ruin the experience of reading it, though. A truly lovely book with wonderful characters.
Faith
Sep 05, 2007 Faith rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I first read as a child. I don’t remember if I found it at the library or if I had my own copy; if I did have my own copy, it didn’t survive. Only my fondest memories did. I loved how this girl was so plucky, so hungry for love, and so worthy of love that two different families wanted to adopt her. I loved how she made the right choice. I like the book so much that when I found it in the Orange County Library when I was in my mid-20s, I wanted to steal it. But I was honourabl ...more
Ruth Sophia
Nov 22, 2014 Ruth Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story!

I picked this up for real cheap because it seemed like a cute story & I've rarely been disappointed with books from SBS. I'm so glad I "risked" my dime! This is a simple, touching story from a bygone age that bring the wonder back to life. Jane is so conscientious, sensible, imaginative, respectful, and honest (with delightful naivety) you love her from the start. This is definitely a book to hold on to if you come across it!
Libby
Jan 21, 2009 Libby rated it liked it
Shelves: classic, realistic
Mom gave this, Ginger Pye, and The Saturdays to me from her own childhood reading, and this was definitely my favorite at the time. It has a fairy tale quality to it (and no abused children), but is grounded in the dreariness of an orphanage, the desire to make a good impression, and the impossibility of understanding adults' motives!
Elaine
Jan 03, 2015 Elaine rated it liked it
I hesitate to give this book only 3 stars, yet I can't bring myself to give it more. I liked it, but I will have no problem donating it instead of rereading it. Jane's inner dialog bugged me. The story was a little too perfect. I love the Betsy Tacy books. When I read those, I scrounged together three full sets of them so each of my daughters could have their own set and I'd have one too. Adopted Jane I'll donate. So not a bad book, and enjoyable to read if you have lots of time for reading, but ...more
Ann aka Iftcan
Cute story about a young girl who has lived in an orphanage her entire life, and is now given a chance to be adopted. A chance at not ONE home but two. Jane, who is as practical as her name (why do we always think that Janes are practical? But it does seem to be a fairly common belief.) One family is on a farm, and has raised one family already and wish to have another family--or at least another daughter. The other potential adopter is a wealthy single woman. At the end of the summer, both fami ...more
Lara
Jun 26, 2008 Lara rated it liked it
I remember really enjoying this book after picking it up for 15 cents at my elementary school book fair. I think it reminded me of the Betsy-Tacy books, which were longtime favorites. Upon re-reading, though, it was charming and enjoyable but just kind of...blah. Jane was a little too sensible and goody-goodyish for my liking (although I suppose I can't blame her for behaving since she wanted to be Adopted Jane and not Orphan Jane and blah-di-blah).
lola Franco
May 01, 2016 lola Franco rated it liked it
Shelves: children
just finished reading this to lucy. had read it when i was in school. must have gone through an orphan stage after anne of green gables. it is a very sweet book.

still cute, but probably didn't age that well. it did not seem to engage lucy at all. but then the concept of an orphanage is so foreign to her as it is to most people now. but jane is a nice character. and the head of the orphanage treats them well.
Angela
Aug 21, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it
A simple and entertaining book for young readers or those interested in adoption. Jane - the protagonist - is a somewhat flat character, but she was determined and spunky enough to keep my interest anyway. The abrupt ending was disappointing. However, anyone who enjoys reading about childhood romps in general should enjoy it very much.
Louise
Apr 27, 2014 Louise rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was about the same age as Jane. Re-read recently and was surprised at how well it stands up. Unlike many orphans in books Jane is treated kindly in the orphanage but of course it's not the same as belonging to someone. Jane gets a chance to live in two different homes and experience all kinds of things that she has only dreamed about.
Kim
Jul 26, 2014 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned-midway
One of the reasons that I enjoy reading older books is for their historical context. But as an adoptive mother, I found reading this book to be just one big squirm-fest. Couldn't stay with it. (And I actually don't know if I would have liked it if I'd read it at age 10 either -- Jane lacked appeal as a character. For me, anyway.)
Lisa
Oct 20, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I won this book as a prize (I forget exactly what for)at school in second or third grade. Fortunately, I loved it. Great story of a turn of the 19th century orphan looking for a home. Jane is self-reliant and with little self-pity; spunky, but still wanting to belong to a family.
RJ
Dec 05, 2007 RJ rated it it was amazing
I read so many books as a child, not many of the stories stick with me. But I remember this, and how my perception of the ending changed over time. Need to put this on my list of "books to give young people".
Erin
Oct 12, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Betsy-Tacy fans
Shelves: favorites, childrens
I adored this book as a child and it's a great re-read....the descriptions remind me favorably of Maud Hart Lovelace's.
Sandra
Mar 26, 2013 Sandra rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite books when I was a child. I just requested it from my local library so I can re-read.

I too am a big Maud Hart Lovelace fan. So I can see why I liked this so much!
Angela O
Jul 22, 2016 Angela O rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite book from my childhood.
The details by the author makes the book come alive!
Anna
Anna rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2012
Pammie
Pammie rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Hannah Payne
Hannah Payne rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Cmorganusjuno.Com
Cmorganusjuno.Com rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Lisa Basgall
Lisa Basgall rated it liked it
May 15, 2014
Sparrow
Sparrow rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2015
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Helen Fern Daringer was born in 1892 in eastern Illinois. Independent and way ahead of her time, Ms. Daringer graduated from Eastern Illinois University, obtained a Master's Degree in English, and headed to New York City, where she became a professor of English literature at Columbia University. Miss Daringer wrote numerous books for children and young adults, including "Country Cousin," "The Turn ...more
More about Helen F. Daringer...