Start by marking “Wenny Has Wings” as Want to Read:
Wenny Has Wings

Wenny Has Wings

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  689 ratings  ·  116 reviews
After the accident, something big happened to Will North. Something that he is too scared to tell anyone about in case they think he's mad. For when the truck hit him and his sister Wenny, they found themselves flying through the most beautiful place they'd ever seen in their lives. And the only person he can talk to about it is Wenny. But she isn't here - she didn't come ...more
Paperback
Published September 1st 2006 by Faber & Faber (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Wenny Has Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wenny Has Wings

Eliana Lechuga
Although this book was sad I really enjoyed it. Its one of those books which its short, to the point, and that you make a connection with. I liked that the book was written in one-person perspective and that it was also written in a journal entry form. It created a more true story feel and it became a way of copping with someones death. I also liked that the book was written in a eleven year old point of view but in a way that teenagers wont get bored of reading. If the book was made into a movi ...more
Stephanie
You know how sometimes you start a book when you're a kid and then you spend years trying to find it again and when you finally do it's not anywhere near as cool as you remembered? Too bad. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

"Wenny Has Wings" is one of those books that never quite lives up to its potential. The idea is strong, there are many good elements, but the execution is somehow underwhelming. When I was 12 or 14 the voice worked just fine for me, but reading it now I have trouble connecting
Laurie Thompson
This is a perfect, poignant look at how an 11-year-old boy struggles to go on after the tragic death of his little sister and his own near-death experience. Many have called it sad, but I don't see it that way at all. It's brutal, yes, and honest, but also beautiful and filled with hope and healing. Nicely done, Janet!
Amie Greenz.k12.mo.us
Dealing with the death of a loved one is a hard thing to deal with for anyone, but it's even harder when it's through the eyes of a young child. This book is about a boy named Will that was walking across the street with his little sister, Wenny, when a truck came by and hit the both of them. When this happened, Will was hospitalized and badly hurt, but Wenny died. While Will was in the hospital, the doctors gave him a note book to sketch in when he was bored, but instead he wrote letters to Wen ...more
Kelsey
Wenny Has Wings was a marvelous book. Janet Lee Carey captured all the aspects of a great book. If you read this book, make sure you have a couple of tissues on hand. Wenny Has Wings will more than likely make you shed a few tears.

Eleven year old Will and his sister, Wenny, both get hit by an eighteen wheeler. Will makes it through, but just barely. Wenny, unfortunately, does not. Will remembers a warm, bright light in a tunnel.

Even with all of his broken body parts, Will writes letters to his
Cathy
I read this book for our kids book club at the library. Little did I know when I chose it three months prior that this book would reflect my life. Two weeks before meeting with the kids to review the book, I lost my brother. We were very close and this book just brought so much to me. It was hard to read at times, just because I would cry, but the story is amazing. I think it was great and healthy for him to wrote to his sister and give her a birthday party. It was just an amazing book. I think ...more
Sophia
This is such a good book. Once I started it I couldnt put it down. The ending made me cry.... And I dont ever cry at any books! Janet Lee Carey is an amazing author.
Beth
In a beautiful and eloquent series of letters to his sister Wenny, eleven year old Will North relates his near death experience after the accident that has taken his younger sister's life, landed him in the hospital with broken bones, and devastated his father. As guilt-stricken Will moves through the grieving process and begins to cope with his loss and his unusual experience, the reader is moved to catharsis as well.

The tone of the young narrator is mostly believable as that of a thoughtful an
Stephanie
Very, very, very, sad. As a mother, I had a very hard time getting through a paragraph. This story is about a young boy who lost his sister. It's a journal of his experience after a serious accident.

In the fight with the truck barreling toward them, Wenny and Will lost big. Wenny lost her life. Will lost a sister — and lost faith in himself.

But then Will starts writing letters to Wenny. He tells her all about the secret of his near-death experience, and the troubles he's having at home. Some le
Brittany
The book I am going to review is Wenny Has Wings. I think that this is probably one of my all time favorite books, and that is the reason I chose to review it. At the beginning of the book, Wenny dies and her brother writes in his journal to her every day. This book truly shows what happens to a family and how emotional it is in a family when a child dies. I definitely think that if you just went through a loss of a young friend or family member, this book will help you cope with that. Wenny Has ...more
Ana
This book was a touching book about how one family deals with the terrible grief of losing a child far too early in life. We enter this story through the eyes of her older brother who is eleven years old. We are reading this boy’s letters to his dead sister in the hope that she receives them. We witness his anger at her for leaving his guilt for not saving her as an older brother should, and his sadness at her being gone and not being able to see her again. While he deals with his own emotions h ...more
Isabell
Its amazing. I love the story that Janet Lee Carey wrote. it really makes you fell what the characters are felling.
If you like books with sadness and a very amazing story read this book.
Ashley
The guilt of survival and harshness of life lead young Will on a journey of self-discovery and healing as he writes letters to his dead sister who passed as a result of an accident they were both involved in. We are catapulted into his thoughts, fears and hurts as he delves into his nightmares about the accident, his anger at Wenny for not turning back, and the weight of caring for his parents and their growing depression. Carey writes with a such a personal tone that is authentic to the inner w ...more
Angelica
I will never forget this book. no matter how old I am I will always recommend this book. it is very sad but a really easy read.
Carissa.anne
I can't even count how many times I've read this book, and it is great! It's a really interesting story about a brother and sister who get in a car accident that changes their life. It takes you thought the after math of the accident with will and his parents. It's a tear jerker but it can also make you laugh. It's also interesting to read what it's like to have a near death experience.

Wenny has Wings is a great easy read that will teach you a lot about tragedy and how to move past it. I would
Elaine
Jun 12, 2008 Elaine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone in the mood for a sad book
Recommended to Elaine by: Read it for a book club
Review from 2005

I think Wenny Has Wings is one of the best books I have ever read. I even cried some! My favorite characters are probably Will, Wenny, and Bullwinkle. I like the way the author put in the part about what the names meant. I couldn't pu the book down! My sisters and I kept trying to read it at once! I also like the way Will kept hinting at the bad thing that happened while he was "dead" and the way it comes out in the end. I love the picture on the front of the book and how it was
Amanda
It was a somewhat sad book, although it is still one of the best books I've ever read.
Meghan
This book is about a 12 year old boy named Will. He loses his little sister Wenny and breaks his leg when a semi hits then while they are walking across the street. Will claims that he had a near death experience and that he saw Wenny as she died too. While he is in the hospital he got a notebook from a family friend. The man that gave it to him said he could write letters to Wenny and he did. He wrote in the notebook every day for two years. He writes in the notebook how him, his parents, and h ...more
Heidi
I enjoyed this book. I appreciated the 1st person POV and that it was written in journal form by a 10-12yo child. I feel this book is appropriate for all ages and could be beneficial in opening lines of communication with children who have lost loved ones of any age. The manner in which Will deals with his loss and the tension in his home is timeless, treasured and heartbreaking all at once. The story ultimately ends on an upbeat note, which I feel is necessary for the target audience.
h =^..^=
Mandi Murphy
This is a really moving portrayal of one little boy's struggle to understand the loss of his little sister. Simply written and a quick read.
I do have a complaint about the accuracy of some of her research, though. Will writes about his Pinewood Derby car for Cub Scouts and then references his troop. Cub Scouts are organized in packs. Boy Scouts are organized into troops. It is just a small oversight but doesn't have a good impact on the author's credibility.
Jessi
Aug 29, 2008 Jessi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys books like Old Yeller
Recommended to Jessi by: Nobody, I found it on a library shelf
Wenny Has Wings is my favorite book of all time. It's kind of sad, though. It's about this boy (I forget his age) who when he and his sister, Wenny, when crossing the street got hit by a big truck. (This is his journal, letters to Wenny.) He and Wenny are going up to heaven then he gets zapped back to earth, but Wenny didn't. I'm not going to give anything else away, but this is one amazing, heart-breaking book. I really suggest it, even though it makes me cry every time.
Miss Jimenez
This was probably one of the easiest books I've ever read but it was worth reading. I enjoyed it and the main character was easy to relate too. The way Carey wrote it helped me imagine how painful it must be to lose a younger sibling which actually made me a cry a little. Something I hardly ever do. It was simple yet powerful in its own way so I in my opinion in did deserve being in the WAW list.
Jean Doolittle
This story has the ring of truth to it--Will has a near death experience when he and his sister are hit by an out-of-control truck. Will recovers, but his sister dies. It is a struggle to recover physically and emotionally from the experience for Will, but also for his parents. Will works through his pain by writing to his sister in a journal. There is humor and sadness and anger.
Grace
This book was an AMAZING book I couldn't put it down. One day while Wenny and Will went to the store they were on there way back home and got hit by a bus that had no brakes. After the accident Wenny lost her life and Will and his parents lost their dignity. This book is about how this family pieces back their lives in a amazing story of happens to a family when a child dies.
4edith0653
This sad story helps you see the perspective of how someone feels when they have died and "came back to life".In other they didn`t fully go to the light. You get a feel of how sad life is when you just lost a family member and your parents wish that you were dead instead of them.I liked this book because it is sad and funny, it gives you mixed emotions.
Yanci De la roz
This book is amazing!! Yes i did cry but thats what makes it so good. This makes u feel sad then happy. I found this book last year at my school in 5th grade i no longer go to that school but i still always look for this book any where that has books. So if your thinking about reading this book......you should its really good!! Enjoy the book!!
Caidyn
I remember reading this when I was in fourth grade, about six or seven years ago now. It was the first really sad book I ever read and, I must say, one of the best. Having never gone through a death at that age I found it to be extremely sad and has touched me even at my current teenage years. I loved the book then and I still love it now.
Alex Dillinger
I read Wenny had Wings in 5th Grade and loved it! It made me smile, laugh, cry and I felt a connection with the characters, especially Wenny, even though she's only mentioned. I picked it up again last year, and I must say, the effect wasn't the same. I didn't like it as much. it wasn't as believable. Such a shame.
Rawwrimasheep
I thought that this book was truely amazing. I laughed a bit but also cried alot throughout it. It is also very well written and really sweet. It's an amazing read, may be quiet short but still amazing. It's really good if you believe in the after life, up in Heaven with God so if you do I strongly recommend this book. :)
Great but sad book 1 6 Jan 05, 2010 04:51PM
  • The Man Who Loved Clowns
  • The Ghost Sitter
  • Forever Amber Brown
  • Dog Food
  • Steamed Up
  • First French Kiss: And Other Traumas
  • Jaguar (Jacob Lansa, #2)
  • The Five Lives of Our Cat Zook
  • Splintering
  • Terrier in the Tinsel (Animal Ark, #34)
  • Edward's Eyes
  • Rickshaw Girl
  • Emmaline and the Bunny
  • Permanent Rose (Casson Family, #3)
  • Beginner's Luck (Hallie Palmer, #1)
  • The Angel Chronicles, Vol. 1 (The Angel Chronicles, #1)
  • In Front of God and Everybody (Confessions of April Grace #1)
  • The Angel Chronicles, Vol. 2  (The Angel Chronicles, #2)
~Things are never what they seem. Find the lost inside the dream ~
Janet Lee Carey is the award-winning author of eight Children's and YA novels. Her YA fantasy is critically acclaimed: "Verdict: This is quite simply fantasy at its best–original, beautiful, amazing, and deeply moving.” School Library Journal starred review. Janet links each new book with a charitable organization empowering reader
More about Janet Lee Carey...
Dragonswood Dragon's Keep The Beast of Noor The Dragons of Noor Stealing Death