4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Here is the astonishing true story of the harrowing experiences of a young German seminarian drafted into Hitler's dreaded SS at the onset of World War II. Without betraying his Christian ideals, against all odds, and in the face of Evil, Gereon Goldmann was able to complete his priestly training, be ordained, and secretly minister to German Catholic soldiers and innocent...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Ignatius Press (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow of His Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow of His Wings

The Age of Apollyon by Mark CarverThe Romanov Cross by Robert MaselloWarlord by Angus Donald'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingThe Light by D.J. MacHale
Crosses
51st out of 67 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
I was hesitant to read this book, for I thought perhaps this was some sort of apologist approach to bad decisions ("see, I ddin't mean to join the SS!"). However, it was nothing of the sort. Rather it shows heroism in a bad situation. It causes you to ask what is more heroic running away or fighting evil from the inside? And even more so, how many of us could persevere following the latter course?
Ian
It's difficult to start this review without the standard clichés and cheap, ubiquitous adjectives. This was "an inspiring true story" and "an amazing narrative" about the "astonishing life" of Father Gereon Goldman, a Franciscan priest, who was forced to serve in the German army during WWII. The Shadow of His Wings is full of "miraculous episodes." This book is "a truly stirring account" of Father Goldman's experiences with "Nazi oppression" and "the horrors of war." See what I mean? But the thi...more
Justin Williams
Posted 12/14/10: This is the amazing story of a German Franciscan on his way to priesthood when WWII broke out and he was forced to fight for the Germans, before being ordained a priest. The story and bravery of this young German is remarkable. As an American Catholic (of German descent)it was interesting to hear the perspective of what it was like to be a German Catholic, in the Nazi army describing his story of what it was like to be fighting the Americans. He eventually convinced the Pope to...more
Karina
I listened to an abridged version of the book. It was part of the series "Catholic CD of the month", given to me by a fellow parishioner. I guess this is a CD for June.

The story highlights the value of integrity. Fr. Goldmann expressed his beliefs to the point that even his fellow seminarians wouldn't venture; and he was the only one of them who actually survived the war, although he had many hardships.

The power of prayer and faith is also a significant theme, and it's fantastic. A nun prayed f...more
Steven
Inspiring biography of a priest-in-training pulled into service during WWII by the Nazis. The miraculous was everywhere as he weaved his was through the war as a Sercret Servie agent. Tremendously devoted to God and humanity, but not wihtout his prickly side, Goldmann provides an uncommonly solid example for everyone seeking a higher path through the world. It is tedious in places and does not measure up to the spiritual classics, but it does provide a unique angle on a historical moment of terr...more
George
This is a great book about a boy growing up in Nazi Germany and standing up to the Nazi's and being a real hero by not compromising moral integrity in the face of a greater evil than most people can even imagine. It shows how to stand for the truth in the face of evil and fully rely on God. I highly recommend this reading book!
Irish Gal
Awesome! Well-written, story flows well. Reading how his faith, others' prayers, etc. - overall Divine Providence - saved his life and changed others again and again. I've passed it on to my mom, then I'm loaning it to our pastor.
Karen
Completely inspiring! Amazing and believable at the same time. Goldman is no cookie-cutter saint.
Marie Noël
Disgusted by this author. Amid the horrors of WWII that he witnessed as a purported Catholic & seminarian, his primary motivation was to get ordained. He describes buying up Rosaries and other Sacramentals while he was in the S.S. in France since the French were selling them & he sent them back to his friends (who could no longer get them in Germany). Never did he help any of those suffering amid the Nazi occupation. He uses deceit and more lies to get ordained. Even talks many times of...more
Erik
Jan 05, 2009 Erik marked it as to-read
Shelves: catholic
Here is the astonishing true story of the harrowing experiences of a German seminarian drafted into Hitler's dreaded SS at the onset of WWII. Without betraying his Christian ideals, against all odds, and in the face of Evil, Goldmann was able to complete his priestly training, be ordained, and secretly minister to German Catholic soldiers and civilian victims caught up in the horrors of war. How it came to pass will astound you.

Father Goldmann tells his own incredible experiences of the trials o...more
Kirei
Dumpling
I'm a sucker for triumph of the human spirit stories, even more so when they are based on a real person's life. This is one such book. Fr. Goldmann was a Franciscan seminarian who was drafted into the SS military (Hitler's army) at the start of WWII. Even while serving in an evil regime, by God's grace, he managed to minister to those around him of the mercy and forgiveness of Christ. Against all odds, Father made it out of the war alive and was immediately ordained to the priesthood. The heroic...more
Lydia
Pater Gereon hat mich sehr fasziniert. Ich bin auf ihn gestoßen durch ein Intverwiew, als Video erhältlich unter dem Titel "Die Macht des Gebets". Und das merkt man dem Mann auch an, dass er einen tiefen Glauben hat. Er erzählt aus seinem Leben als katholischer Priesterschüler und Soldat im 2. Weltkrieg bei SA und SS und im Widerstand, ebenso wie seine Tätigkeit im Gefangenenlager. Eine sehr ergreifende Geschichte, darüber wie er Gottes Eingreifen erfahren hat. Das Buch ist unbedingt empfehlensw...more
Josh
I've been sitting for awhile thinking of how I'm going to review this book. I don't know what else to say besides state the fact that it's one of the most astonishing books I've ever read. I was thinking while I read the book, and after I finished, it's as if the events described in this book are comparable to the adventures of Gandalf, Aragorn, Bilbo, and Frodo all rolled into one person: Fr. Gereon Goldmann.
Joan Gilmartin
I found it so incredible that I doubted at first that it could possibly be true. I am now convnced it certainly is. A wonderful book inspiring others to have the faith and fortitude which can in any circumstances, adverse as those of the protaganist were, bring happiness and the kind of satisfastion so many people would like to have.
Becky Kondritz
What an incredible true story of a Francisican seminarian who was drafted into the SS. The story tells Goldmann's journey to priesthood despite obstacle after obstacle. The book provides example after remarkable example of how the power of prayer and the power of the Eucharist repeatedly won over the evils associated with war.
Joe Kolf
This story is truly amazing. It is about a German seminarian who is drafted into the Nazi army when the seminary is shut down at the beginning of WWII and how the man is able to not only avoid committing evil, but use this situation to do tremendous good. You won't be able to put it down.
Gillian
I thought I was a Christian until I read this book. Wow. Wow. Wow. A Must-Read! Originally published in 1964, re-published in 2000 by Ignatius Press, SF. I had a 2008 printing. Find it and read it!! It will alter your world view - not too many books do that.
Stephen
An inspirational biography about a blessed man who should be canonized. He served the human race with perserverance and determination to make a difference - despite what the environment and obstacles. Faith Hope and Charity personified.
Christy Kellner
What a fantastic story!!!!! You really understand God's Divine Providence and Protection after reading this book. What an adventure!
Tamara
Matthew 25 - The importance of charity! Father Goldmann is inspiring. I really loved the story of his guardian angel waking him and saving his life because of a faithful Sister interceding for him in prayer.
Elizabeth
Fantastic book! A truly stirring account of the life of Fr. Gereon Goldmann, a German Catholic SS soldier who through incredible circumstances becomes a priest. Highly recommended!
Matthew
Another WW II book. I've always thought of the Germans as our evil enemies. This one puts a human face on them & their culture. It's told from the other side & point of view.
Dhanaraj Rajan
I did not like this work much as a biography. Only the additional part by Joseph Seitz that spoke of Fr. Goldmann's work in Japan in his later days was worth.
Tess
Exquisite autobiography of an almost unbelievable life story. This book made me laugh out loud and weep. One of the best I have ever read.
Miriam Williams
This story of the life of a priest, Gereon Goldmann, is fascinating and amazing, but it is slow-moving at first, so give it a chance for a few chapters.

From the blurb at Amazon:
"Gereon Goldmann was able to complete his priestly training, be ordained, and secretly minister to German Catholic soldiers and innocent civilian victims caught up in the horrors of war. How it all came to pass will astound you."

I think this would make an excellent young adult book if someone would revise it for that pur...more
Michelle Daniels
If I coud give more stars I would! I was so inspired by his sagacity! He was firm but not offensive!
Shawna
Jan 02, 2010 Shawna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shawna by: Monica Trevino
Shelves: inspirational
Amazing book, giving fresh view of WWII from the perspective of a young seminarian. Very inspiring.
Jane
The most insane story. A good reminder to trust in Divine Providence.
David Farel
A powerful book. A priest joins the SS and spreads the gospel from within.
  • He Leadeth Me
  • Letters to a Young Catholic
  • The World's First Love: Mary, Mother of God
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles
  • Be a Man!: Becoming the Man God Created You to Be
  • Priestblock 25487 : a memoir of Dachau
  • Our Lady of Kibeho: Mary Speaks to the World from the Heart of Africa
  • The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth
  • Father Elijah: An Apocalypse
  • Rise, Let Us Be on Our Way
  • Lord of the World (Dodo Press)
  • The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ: From the Visions of Anne Catherine Emmerich
  • The Way