The Seal Mother

The Seal Mother

4.59 of 5 stars 4.59  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A seal sheds her skin and becomes a beautiful woman, but even after marrying and bearing a son she longs to return to her seal family in the sea.
Published March 30th 1990 by Puffin Books (first published October 30th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Seal Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seal Mother

Ingo by Helen DunmoreForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerSirena by Donna Jo NapoliHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Sea Creatures
116th out of 423 books — 658 voters

More lists with this book...

Benji Martin
One of my goals is to not let my students graduate 5th grade without having been exposed to the wonderful myths of different cultures. This year, I've read lots of stories about leprechauns, Golems, Pookahs, fairies, Anansi, and many others. I realized last week while reading The Folk Keeper by Franny Billingsley, that I wanted my students to know about Selkies. I'm ashamed to say that I had never even heard of them before I was in college, so I set out to find the perfect Selkie book.

This one...more
Rebecca Stujenske
I had never heard of the scottish legend of the selkies and I came across this book at the Salvation Army. The girls loved it and it lead into more research on the legends of Ireland and Scotland. We then found the movie The Secret of Roan Inish.
Reem
Charming illustrations make this retelling of the traditional selkie story come alive. A refreshing change from the more well-known commercialized picture books. A treat for those who love selkie folktales.
Paula

sabrina
this book had a profound impact on my young--3ish--mind: magical and mystical, introducing the world of literature through a picture book
Bug
i found this at the library today. it is one of the most beautiful stories i have read.
Kara

A wonderfully sweet retelling of the selkie story.
Stephanie
Lovely! If you're intrigued, i definitely recommend it.
Abi
Abi marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Bridget Robertson
Bridget Robertson marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Sarai Davila
Sarai Davila marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Toni Michelle
Toni Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Taylor
Taylor added it
Dec 31, 2013
Nicole Fischer
Nicole Fischer marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Nicole Krapf
Nicole Krapf marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mordicai Gerstein is the author and illustrator of The Man Who Walked Between the Towers, winner of the Caldecott Medal, and has had four books named New York Times Best Illustrated Books of the Year. Gerstein was born in Los Angeles in 1935. He remembers being inspired as a child by images of fine art, which his mother cut out of Life magazine, and by children’s books from the library: “I looked...more
More about Mordicai Gerstein...
The Man Who Walked Between the Towers A Book The Old Country The First Drawing The Mountains of Tibet