Start by marking “Mio, mijn Mio” as Want to Read:
Mio, mijn Mio

Mio, mijn Mio

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,797 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Aan de koning van Het land in de Verte. Degene die je zo lang hebt gezocht, is op weg. Hij reist door dag en door nacht, en hij draagt in zijn hand het teken, de gouden appel.
Ik begreep er geen woord van. Maar ik werd zo wonderlijk koud over mijn hele lichaam. Ik haastte me de kaart in de brievenbus te stoppen. Wie was het, die door dag en door nacht reisde? En wie droeg e
Published October 2009 by Ploegsma (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Mio, mijn Mio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mio, mijn Mio

Mohammed
This is story-wise pretty straightforward and simple fairy tale,fantasy but the writing was of higher level. Since this is the the first time i have read Astrid Lindgren i didnt know what to expect. It was written in a epic poetry like prose that made the story much more interesting,fantastical and imaginative. Her storytelling techniques was clear to see what she was trying to do.

In hindsight its better i read this as an adult where i could see clearly what the writing, the prose style was doin
Miriam
Apr 04, 2015 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, younger
Easter was the perfect time to read this.
MizzSandie
This is one of the first books I ever read on my own. And I have read it many times since. It's very dark and sad, but there's a glimmer of hope shining as a bright star on the night sky. It's beautiful and it touches and tears at my heart everytime I read it.
I guess it's classified as a childrens book, but really it's an 'for every age' book. Adults as well as children will be moved by this story. I know for myself, this is one of the books I will never outgrow and which will never lose it's ab
bakanekonomama
Jul 04, 2013 bakanekonomama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasi, anak-anak
Di zaman dahulu kala, tapi tidak terlalu dahulu, hiduplah seorang anak laki-laki bernama Mio. Mio adalah putra mahkotadari Negeri Nun Jauh. Sebuah negeri yang tidak akan bisa kau bayangkan dimana letaknya, karena sangat jauh dan tak akan bisa kau jangkau. Pangeran Mio hidup bahagia bersama ayahnya sang raja... Tapi itu sekarang, karena sebelumnya Pangeran Mio hidup menderita, meski tidak terlalu merana, dan jauh dari ayahnya.

Mari kita mundur sejenak. Sebelum ini, belum ada orang yang bernama Pa
Lynette
Feb 24, 2012 Lynette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Maybe I'm biased because I loved the movie when I was a kid. Maybe the translation that I read is really bad. Or maybe I'm just way too old for a book written for such young kids. Whatever the reason, I really didn't understand what was so great about this book, and I'm disappointed. Ever since I was a kid, I've been looking for this book, and never could order it or anything. I remembered it a little while ago, and was able to order it on Amazon.

It felt so flat to me. I felt no connection to Mi
Lia Ung
Jun 05, 2015 Lia Ung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lia by: Lott
*4.5

Trots att jag växte upp med Astrid Lindgren, och trots att jag stött på mycket från Mio, min Mio, som riddar Kato och rosenträdgården, så hade jag aldrig tidigare varken läst den eller sett filmen. Jag har dessutom alltid blandat ihop den en del med Bröderna Lejonhjärta, så jag var väldigt glad över att läsa den till slut och reda ut alltihop (och jag var väldigt glad när jag insåg att ingen faktiskt dog i slutet, vilket jag hade fått för mig just på grund av Bröderna Lejonhjärta).

Berättelse
Jackie
Bis zu seinem neunten Lebensjahr wusste Mio nicht, dass er Mio heisst. Er wusste auch nicht, dass sein Vater ein König ist. Nein, denn er wuchs bei seiner Tante und seinem Onkel auf, welche ihn nicht mochten und sich kaum um ihn kümmerten. Eines Tages jedoch rettet Mio einen Geist aus einer Flasche und wird von diesem daraufhin ins Land der Ferne gebracht, dem Königreich seines Vaters. Endlich wird er geliebt, erlebt viele Abenteuer, und rettet das Land sogar vor dem bösen Ritter Kato.

Die Geschi
Fantasy♥Magic♥Love
I've read Mio, mein Mio in German and so maybe the translation wasn't always perfect.

But for me, I thought Mio was a bit of an annoying character and sometimes also just so repetitive! He was almost constantly bringing up the past and how 'they' (his ex best friend and step parents) should see him now on his beautiful horse. And he did similar things like that throughout the book and that annoyed me a bit.

What are the good parts of this story? The courage that Mio finally found at the end of t
Rana Heshmati
Feb 28, 2014 Rana Heshmati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rana by: Masoomeh Tavakoli
Shelves: رمان
باشکوه بود و رویائی. قشنگ بود.
زیبا و دلانگیز بود.
و دوستش داشتم. دوستش داشتم :}
ممنونم از خانم توکلی جانم :)
Riana
if you have not read this - read it.

it is such a beautiful, heartwarming, dramatic, and sad story about courage and hope, about the good standing up against evil.

the style is simple enough to be accessible for children, but poetic enough to be enjoyed by adults. and i even think that this is one of few books by astrid lindgren that can be appreciated more by adults than children.
Sanne
Apr 07, 2013 Sanne rated it liked it
Did you know that Harry Potter's invisibility cloke was actually owned by a nine year old boy from Sweden called Karl Anders Nilsson? I did, and it was invented by Astrid Lindgren. "Mio, my son" is a touching story about courage and nature, which, as Lindgren's other books show, works every single time.
Jaro
Feb 23, 2016 Jaro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Children
Jo Bennie
Dec 02, 2014 Jo Bennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l
Karl Anders Nilson, known as Andy, is a lonely boy. An orphan, he lives in Stockholm with his foster parents, Aunt Hulda who wanted a boy and Uncle Olaf who thinks Andy makes too much noise. His only friend is Ben, but they sometimes fight. The only person who is kind to him is Mrs Lundy from the sweet shop. But then one day Aunt Hulda, after telling Andy yet again that the day he came to their house was an unlucky one, is given a card to post by Mrs Lundy and an apple that turns to gold. The ca ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jun 21, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: calliope
Sometimes my book reviews require some story telling as set up. This is one of these posts. Scroll down if you don't want to wallow in my nostalgia.

When I was a child I wanted to be Pipi Longstocking's next door neighbor. I figured I wasn't cool enough or strong enough to live on my own, eat nails and carry a horse with my bare hands but I sure wanted a friend who could! I read everyone of Astrid Lindgren's Pipi books and watched all the poorly dubbed movies more times than I can count.

But someh
Spigana
Uz citu Lindgrēnes grāmatu fona šī šķiet visai melnbalta un straightforward, tomēr stāsts ir skaists, pie kam lasāms divējādi - vai nu kā skaista pasaka, vai kā trausli vientuļa zēna sapņi.
Elle
Jun 18, 2012 Elle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-young
This was a book that left a great impression on me when I read it as a child. I thought it was very engaging and could not put it down. I have not read it in a very long time and cannot remember the details of the book, however it did leave so big an impression that I still remember the general story and even where I was the first time I read it.
This book is also excellent for reading aloud and share the impression with other family members. Just like The Brothers Lionheart by the same author t
Thunder
Aug 30, 2012 Thunder rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the most boring book I've ever read!
I think it would be nice to read for your small children as a bedtime story but not for anything else. I had to read the whole book since it was a school thing and I died of boredom several times while reading it. Then everytimne I died Mio came and resurrected me ,and I died again, and he resurrected me, and i died and so on...
Nothing really happens in the book except Mio riding around with his extremely annoying friend Jum-Jum!
Don't r
Marilyn
Jun 20, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mio, My Son is a children's book by Swedish writer Astrid Lindgren. It was first published in 1954 in Sweden, with the Swedish title Mio, min Mio. The writing is stylised and the story strongly reminiscent of traditional fairy tales and folklore. Wikipedia
Published: 1954
Adaptations: Mio in the Land of Faraway (1987)

Nine-year-old Karl Anders Nilsson is an orphaned boy who is fostered by a mean couple who really wanted a girl but settled for him. His mother died at birth and nobody even bothered t
Cathy (cathepsut)
Jun 02, 2011 Cathy (cathepsut) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
One of my all-time favourite books. I liked the Pippi Longstocking stories, but this is by far my best loved Astrid Lindgren novel.

If you like books for young adults and fairytales and/or fantasy, I can recommend this highly. I think the world she builds in this is beautiful and I still remember parts of this book vividly, although it has been a very long time since I read it.
Olga Trushina
Feb 08, 2016 Olga Trushina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is as much for adults as it is for children. It is written in first person by a boy who was adopted by a family who does not seem to love him. One day he travels to a Faraway land where he meets his loving King father and has to fulfill a prophecy of defeating an evil knight.

From a child's perspective the book is a simple, beautiful story of a boy and his adventures. From an adult perspective, it is a poetic prose that makes you wonder if he is really in this magic place or if he is dr
Mark
What I enjoyed most about this book was not its simple story – since I’m too old for this kind of books, ha! – but its cute, adoring and nostalgia-revoking illustrations that accompany it. Recommended for children.
Hirosasazaki Sasazaki
This story contains some folk essence and Lindgren's imagination. Beautiful fantasy and I was about to cry when I found how the king, Mio's father loves his son. Ending was also good.
Pixelflocke
Meine Begeisterung für Lindgrens Erzählungen ist weiterhin ungebrochen. Heute habe ich endlich mal Mio, mein Mio gelesen.
Eine wirklich sehr märchenhaft erzählte Geschichte über einen kleinen Jungen, der sich seinen Ängsten stellt und zusammen mit seinem Freund Jum-Jum den bösen Ritter Kato besiegen muss.
Die Geschichte wirkt sehr melancholisch und nachdenklich. Lindgren verwendet viele klassische Märchenelemente, wie Wiederholungen und Aufzählungen etc. Anders als die meisten ihrer anderen Kinder
Becky
Here's how Mio, My Son begins: "Did you listen to the radio on October 15th last year? Did you hear the news about a boy who disappeared? This is what it said: 'Police in Stockholm are searching for a nine-year-old boy missing from his home, at 13 North Street, since 6.P.M. two days ago. Karl Anders Nilsson has light hair and blue eyes. At the time of his disappearance he was wearing brown shorts, a gray sweater, and a small red cap. Anyone with more information on his whereabouts should contact ...more
Linn Amalie
Mar 06, 2010 Linn Amalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I've read this book ten times, and it's one of my all time favourites.
Shere
Jul 09, 2009 Shere rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite childhood books.
Azamat
Oct 03, 2015 Azamat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Все-таки, Линдгрен - это вам не Роулинг. Мне очень нравится "Эмиль...", но всякие сказочные миры бабушка Астрид не потянула. Конечно, книга написана много раньше "Гарри Поттера", но этот простой язык и непроработанный мир, где свирепствует Принц Като (и только я произнес это - клавиатура задрожала, интернет отвалился, iOS стала даунгрейдиться на предыдущую версию...) не очень интересен. Более того, я думаю, что даже малым детям сейчас книга будет неинтересна, потому что они попробовали вкуса бло ...more
Hazel
Aug 03, 2015 Hazel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Земята накрай света
Прочетох "Мили мой Мио" от Астрид Линдгрен едва сега, заедно с Рада, която сигурно я възприе съвсем различно от мен. Така и трябва. Някои заблуди е добре да не се разсейват още на 7. Нека отложи неверието си колкото се може повече. You want to be fooled, както се казваше в прекрасния филм "Престижът", за който може и да напиша, ако дойде ред.

И аз искам да бъда излъгана. Искам да вярвам, че Босе, момчето без родители, отглеждано без обич в приемно семейство, отпътува с помощта
Anastasia aka Taurendil
I read this for my brother as a bedtime story. It took quite long but it was an interesting journey. This was the first time I was reading the book, and it's one of those I've always wanted to read. That's done now.
We both liked the book. There was enough adventure for a little boy and something pretty and the love between most people that I liked. It had some darker themes too, but in Lindgren's way written in a story so that it comes naturally also for children.
This reminded me of, first of al
Andreas
Feb 15, 2015 Andreas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mio, My Son is a book about a child named Mio who has step parents who are mean to him. One day he finds a bottle and opens it to reveal a giant head saying he's the prince of a planet far away. I'm not going to sum up more of the book, because I think I made my point: Are you going to ride the high you got from that bottle the rest of your life, or are you going to confront your real life problems? (view spoiler) ...more
  • Der Räuber Hotzenplotz: Eine Kasperlgeschichte (Hotzenplotz, #1)
  • Mormor og de åtte ungene i skogen (Eight Children, #2)
  • Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13
  • Pancakes for Findus (Findus & Pettson)
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • Skuggan över stenbänken (Skuggserien, #1)
  • Karius und Baktus
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Die rote Zora und ihre Bande
  • Gummi-Tarzan
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 145 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.
More about Astrid Lindgren...