Start by marking “Karlsson van het dak” as Want to Read:
Karlsson van het dak

Karlsson van het dak (Karlsson på taket #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,694 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Imagine Smidge's delight when, one day, a little man with a propeller on his back appears hovering at the window! It's Karlson and he lives in a house on the roof. Soon Smidge and Karlson are sharing all sorts of adventures, from tackling thieves and playing tricks to looping the loop and running across the rooftops. Fun and chaos burst from these charming, classic stories ...more
Published November 1999 by Ploegsma (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Karlsson van het dak, please sign up.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Scroll down and read a few of the readers' reviews. Having said that "good" is objective, as you can see from any GR review; one person may give a…moreScroll down and read a few of the readers' reviews. Having said that "good" is objective, as you can see from any GR review; one person may give a book five stars and a rave review, while another gives it one and says it's awful.(less)

Manny
The Great Karlsson Experiment

Having read the Swedish original and the English and German translations, I had to get the French one too. (I wish I could read it in Russian, but my command of the language is insufficient). Out of the four I can appreciate, it seems to me the relative quality is pretty clear. In Swedish, it's a masterpiece. In German, it's nearly as good. In French, it's okay but not really anything special. And in English, it's disappointing.

Not, who's read it in English, pours sc
Manny
The early Astrid Lindgren books are hysterically funny, and work equally well for both child and adult readers. The problem is that the two audiences don't find the same things amusing. My Swedish wife said that her grandmother sometimes read this book aloud to her when she was a very small girl. Every now and then, Grandma would have to stop, she was laughing too much. Elisabeth tells me she'd glare at her and say "Shut up and READ!"

In this book, Lillebror (literally, "little brother"), is abo
lita
Pasti ada hal yang memancing tawa saat membaca buku anak-anak. Kepolosan mereka dalam memandang sebuah hal, yang sering kali luput dari perhatian orang dewasa, sering tercetus dalam celetukan dan pertanyaan mereka yang sulit untuk dijawab.

Lillebror, misalnya. Bocah berusia tujuh tahun yang bernama asli Svante Svantesson punya pertanyaan dan pernyataan yang membuat saya tertawa terbahak-bahak saat membacanya. Misalnya ini:

Boleh tidak aku menikah dengan Ibu saja?” tanya Lillebror.
“Rasanya tidak bi
Matt
Eine entzückende Geschichte von der großen Astrid Lindgren. Irgendwie ist es mir gelungen Karlsson in meiner eigenen Kindheit zu verpassen. Vermutlich flog er gerade woanders herum. Karlsson ist nach eigenem Bekunden der beste Kunstflieger, Dampfmaschinenaufpasser, Motorenaufpasser, Gockelhahnmaler, Schnellaufräumer, Fleischklößemacher, Baumeister, Ausdenker, Schnelläufer, Streichemacher, Kinderaufpasser, Feuerlöschmann, Hundeaufpasser, Zaubereimacher, Tortenesser, und außerdem der Guteste der W ...more
notgettingenough
In 1942, Crockett Johnson created the cartoon Barnaby, in which we see Mr O'Malley through the eyes of a boy who wishes for a fairy Godmother, but instead is presented with a short, fat, flying, conceited and not altogether competent fairy Godfather.

Barnaby

The cartoon was a big hit within the Left intelligentia in the US. Dorothy Parker adored it, Duke Ellington was chuffed to be part of one of the strips. He even wrote a letter to the editor of PM to say so. The Roosevelts were avid followers. It was
Katerina
Dec 19, 2011 Katerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My co-worker bought it recently for her 6 years old daughter and we started to reread it out loud in the middle of the office, laughing and cheering like kids. Our boss portrayed Karllson and our office manager managed to be Freken Bok. Just 20 pages of this book and bunch of so called ‘adults’ returned to their childhood.
Brilliant, kind and humorous book.
Alina
Oct 08, 2008 Alina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, childrens
This has been my favorite growing up, and I will definitely read it to my children. It's a shame that it's virtually unknown to American audience.
Alinarudenko
My favorite childhood book
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read this a number of years ago and hated it. What bothered me--appalled me, really--was that this young boy is being encouraged to disobey his parents and sneak out with a strange man who is his neighbor. Granted, this book was written in a more innocent era, and what is allowed in European children's books seems to be rather different from what is allowed in children's books here in the U.S. I notice that in the new illustrations Karlson is depicted as younger, rather than as a little old ma ...more
Christel
Hilarious and adorable.
Radostina
Jun 20, 2013 Radostina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Макар да е сред класиките в детската литература, Карлсон, който живее на покрива е книга, която, незнайно как, съм пропуснала, въпреки че четях много. И тъй като не съм я прочела, когато е трябвало, за да мога да я оценя по достойнство, сега се наложи на стари години да я чета заедно с дъщеря си. Е, не ми хареса толкова, колкото очаквах, но не смея да дам нисък рейтинг, защото все пак аудиторията на тази книжка е поне с 20 години по-млада от мен :) Затова давам четири звезди /след консултация с ...more
Kungkang Kangkung
Nov 07, 2012 Kungkang Kangkung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, childhood, favorit
Awalnya saya ingin sekali membuang buku ini di bab-bab awal. Bagaimana tidak? Ini buku anak-anak dan saya mempunyai pemikiran sebagai berikut.

Kalau saya punya anak dan membaca buku ini kemudian dia mengikuti jejak kenakalan Karlsson, saya takkan habis pikir. Semisal pada saat anak saya merusak mainannya atau hampir membakar seluruh rumah, anak saya akan beralasan yang melakukan adalah Karlsson (atau bisa saja kelak bernama lain, tergantung khayalan anak-anak saya kelak), atau menjawab seperti Ka
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Lately I've run across new translations of several non-English children's classics so I am giving this one two stars. As another reviewer has said, a lot of how good a text is depends on the language used. There are things you simply can't do in the target language, sometimes. As a former translator, I know this.

That's why KOTR is getting two stars instead of just one. Because, as that revewier said, the English version is disappointing. Lillebror (literally "little brother") has become Eric, so
Yi
Really really enjoyed the copy I read in Grade 6, translated into Chinese with absolutely wonderful illustrations. Now, after finally finding a copy in English, and so many years later, I started reading it and didn't share the same feeling.
Thanh Nguyen
Mery
May 14, 2011 Mery rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punya
Ya ampun baca ini bikin geli-geli gitu. haha. Sebel banget ama si Karlsson yang narsisnya ga ketulungan. OMG. hahaha. Tiap dia ngomong aku selalu rolling eyes.

salah satunya: *hal 24*

"Mereka akan senang sekali bertemu denganku karena aku begitu tampan dan cerdas! Berat badanku pas! Orangtuamu beruntung sekali bertemu denganku."

*ngakak*

kasihan banget Lillebror. Jadi sasaran kejailan Karlsson. ;D

Lillebror ini polos banget deh. hihihi dasar masih 7 tahun kali yah. ;D

Paling ngakak pas dia bilang ke I
Kammy
Nov 18, 2007 Kammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: quirky young adults
I despised Karlson when I grew up hearing his story... an obnoxious, flying, pudgy man who wrecks this kid's room, steam engine, takes his candy. He's so greedy and petulant.

As an adult, my husband read the book and thought it was fantastic to have a quasi-adult figure who breaks all stereotypes of who should be well behaved. Plus, he points out that Eric is so happy to see Karlson, no matter what kind of mess awaits.
It's a little like "The Cat in the Hat." That book also made me uncomfortable
Mira
Feb 08, 2016 Mira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Карлсон е отвратителен персонаж, едва успях да го издържа.
Но затова пък Дребосъчето е сладур. Само заради него успях да дочета книгата :)
Anna
Dec 01, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it might be bad taste to bring up a cartoon when reviewing a book - но кто ещё из бывших Советских сразу слышит голос Ливанова при одном взгляде на обложку?

I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't read this (why is it so rare in English!?!?) This book is just .. soo.. AWESOME!! Forget a lame imaginary friend - this kid has a chubby lil troublemaker glutton who has a lil propeller on his back and start-button on his tummy!
...my inner 8-year-old is filling up with glee from only looking at that line
Alex
Aug 17, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mother used to read this to me (Russian translation) before bed when I was a kid. The amount of times I laughed hysterically with her. This is such a great children's book, as much as I love Disney and fairy tales, if you ever wanna read something to your kids before bed I seriously recommend this story. Not only will your kids laugh, but your stomach will be sore as well. And everyone will go to bed in a good mood. Astrid will always be one of my favorite childhood authors.
Христо Блажев
„Как може на света да съществува такъв красив и умен, и прилично дебел, и храбър, и прекрасен във всяко отношение мъж, какъвто си ти, Карлсон!“

Ето и го и него – топпакостникът, достоен за сравнение само с Емил от Льонеберя, а по начин на мислене неоспоримо брат на Пипи Дългото чорапче. Но ако тя е щедра и сияйна, Карлсон е нагло и лакомо хлапе, което някога ме разсмиваше, а сега ме повече издразни с безкрайния си егоизъм.
Martin Sebesta
Feb 28, 2015 Martin Sebesta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jedna z nejlepších dětských kniha co jsem četl - bohužel až zpětně.

Malý Ben má kámoše, co žije za komínem na střeše - Karkulína. To je takový tlusťoch, který má na břiše čudlík, na zádech vrtulku, a umí létat. To, že umí létat není tak nadpřirozené jako to, jak je krásně nafoukaný, mlsný, vykutálený a vztahovačný. Upřímně, obdivuju Lindgrenovou, že dokázala vytvořit takový charakter, který přes takové vlastnosti máte rádi.

Díky Karkulínovi je kniha čitelná i pro dospělého. Jinak je perfektní pro
Masha
Apr 17, 2009 Masha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a children's classic for Soviet offspring of a certain age, yet oddly completely unknown to most American fans of Lindgren's other works, such as the "Pippi" series. Involves a short, fat, meatball-loving male fairy-esque character that lives on the roof of an apartment building in Stockholm and wreaks havoc with Mme. Freckenbock, the nanny. What's not to love?
The Twins
Jan 22, 2014 The Twins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny what you remember from your own childhood...I wanted to read this book to my boys as I remembered reading and hearing it as a child. Somehow I remembered it differently with Karlson being kinder and less self-obsessed but once I started reading it to them it all came back especially his little sayings! The boys really enjoyed the story!!
Suvi
Sep 02, 2008 Suvi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again one of those gems in my grandmother's shelf. I kind of disliked Karlsson when I was a child but at the same time he was a hilarious character and I always looked forward to him appearing through the window. The book made me look up on our roof just in case if we had a chubby little man living in there.
Lote L.
Vienkārša, īsa pasaka par jocīgu vīreli, kurš dara palaidnības un iegrūž Brālīti nepatikšanās. Sava jaunā amata kontekstā kā bērnudārza audzinātāja gan par visiem šiem nedarbiem milzīgā sajūsmā nebiju, un trūka arī kaut kāda dziļuma tam visam apakšā. Bērnībā garšoja labāk.
lazycalm
If you really love this book, you should also check out its animated short film adaptation called Malysh i Karlson, directed by Boris Stepantsev.
Karen
Jan 03, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-ya
A fun romp written in 1955 by Astrid Lindgren, author of the beloved Pippi Longstocking books. Eric, (as he is called in my version of the book) the seven year old protaganist, wants a dog more than anything else in the world. Instead he gets Karlsson-on-the-Roof, a cantankerous little old Man in his Prime, who causes chaos everywhere he goes and, unfortunately, alienates many readers.

The further I read, the more Karlsson reminded me of a trickster. Instead of being horrified by his selfish natu
Maya
Jan 11, 2015 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french, childrens
This series needs to be better known among English speakers. The poor souls are being deprived of a proper childhood!
Original Swedish\Russian translation 3 34 Sep 14, 2012 03:30AM
  • Naksitrallid. Esimene ja teine raamat
  • Приключения Чиполлино
  • Приключения Незнайки
  • Волшебник Изумрудного города (Волшебник Изумрудного города, #1)
  • Золотой Ключик, или Приключения Буратино
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • Findus and the Fox
  • Всадник без головы
  • Die kleine Hexe
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 145 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.
More about Astrid Lindgren...

Karlsson på taket (3 books)
  • Karlson Flies Again
  • Karlsson på taket smyger igen

“Не може ли да помолиш майка си да ни приготви вместо една торта с осем свещи, осем торти с една свещ?” 0 likes