Start by marking “Smoke & Mirrors 2009: Financial Myths that will Ruin Your Retirement Dream” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Smoke & Mirrors 2009: ...

David Trahair

Smoke & Mirrors 2009: Financial Myths that will Ruin Your Retirement Dream

This book will give Canadians the ammunition they need to fight back against the scare tactics and rule of thumb selling methods used by many banks and financial planners to suck money out of your pockets every day!
Published December 15th 2008 by Self-Counsel Press (first published December 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Smoke & Mirrors 2009, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoke & Mirrors 2009

Derek
Oct 11, 2012 Derek rated it did not like it
This book added nothing to my knowledge of investing. It really would be better framed as a "Finances for Dummies" book. An example of the "key tools" it talks about are "don't spend more money than you have", "read your credit card bills and figure out where you are spending your money" and "pay down credit card debt before contributing to RRSPs" ... um ... duh? I wonder what the likelihood is that people who carry credit card debt would be proactive enough to read a book like this.
Loraine
This is a very good book for someone looking for answers to their personal finance questions. I wanted to read this book because of the subtitle about financial myths. Never having been mainstream in my thinking, I wanted some reinforcement, some confirmation that I am on the right track. I got what I was looking for: no nonsense approach to personal finance that fills in the blanks where I need it. Importantly, it is current and it is for Canadians.
Alison
Jan 11, 2012 Alison rated it liked it
This book is interesting, but at my financial level, it was a little over my head and ahead of the game. I'd probably like it better if I'd been further into investing. That said, it comes with a cool CD that you can d/l that lets you get a sense of how much you need to save and how much you're worth (but yeah, I'm not really able to use it yet).
Jonathan Cook
Nov 04, 2012 Jonathan Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stop believing the lies of the financial industry that will not only rob your current life, but your life in retirement ... Simply put, you don't need a million dollars to retire and here is how.
I have bought several copies and passed them on to family and friends as its a book every Canadian should own on their book shelf
Bob Turnbull
Feb 27, 2013 Bob Turnbull rated it really liked it
Basic but quite informative. It dismisses what the banks have to say about how much money you must have to retire and what your spending is going to be. Banks, of course, want you to put as much money into RRSP's as possible as it fattens their already bulging vaults. Easy to read and understand.
Patrick Ireland
Patrick Ireland rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Hans
Hans rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2011
Melinda Seyler
Mar 08, 2013 Melinda Seyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melinda by: newleaph@gmail.com
Quick , easy, basic. Still learned some stuff.
Alex Givant
Alex Givant rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2013
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2014
Sherry
Sherry rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2015
Hershyyz
Hershyyz rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Shonna Froebel
Good common sense, but author forgets to allow for increased costs in future.
Ron Bruce
Ron Bruce rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Linds
Linds rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2011
Bruno de Maremma
Bruno de Maremma rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2010
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Gini
Gini rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Adrian Stevens
Adrian Stevens rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
James Leningrad
James Leningrad rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Bruce
Bruce rated it really liked it
May 07, 2010
Hershyyz
Hershyyz rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Adèle
Adèle rated it it was ok
May 08, 2012
WPS
WPS rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2010
Martin
Martin added it
Jul 01, 2012
Jeff Yasinchuk
Jeff Yasinchuk marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2012
Leanne
Leanne marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2012
Katie
Katie added it
Sep 27, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Andrew
Andrew added it
Jul 06, 2016
D.Michael Thomson
D.Michael Thomson marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
K B
K B added it
Jul 14, 2016
Aly Mawji
Aly Mawji marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016