The Complete Book of Year-Round Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  427 ratings  ·  32 reviews
""Takes the pressure off cooks who don't have the time... but still want to savor the season's bounty." -- Chicago Tribune"

Few people have time for large preserving marathons that can take all day or more. The recipes in this book allow you to put up a few jars quickly and easily of whatever is fresh and available, with a minimum of time and fuss.

Inside The Complete Book o...more
Published February 5th 2005 by Firefly Books (first published March 16th 2001)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Year-Round Small-Batch Preserving

Jensownzoo
This is one of the only cookbooks on canning that takes in account us that have smaller gardens or are only canning for ourselves. Yummy recipes as well. This one is my favorite:

Light No-Cook Strawberry Daiquiri Spread

2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 box light fruit pectin

1. Crush strawberries in a large bowl; you should have about 2 cups....more
Shelley Bond
Cdn. authors, contributors and publisher. I tried a couple of jams,
with somewhat unconventional directions (no pectin!) and had great
results (amazing flavor as well as nice gell). Lots of unusual combinations;
perfect for gift-giving as well as stocking the pantry. As title says,
many recipes can be made year-round; they don't just rely on a bounty of
fresh produce in season.
Anastacia
I'm a little in love with this book, which covers jams, jellies, marmalades, conserves, pickles, chutneys, salsa, flavored oils and vinegars (the latter two I'll never make). By far this one is my favorite canning cookbook I've read so far, ever.

It focuses on small batch water bath canning - exactly what I'm looking to do. Make small batches of food, using ingredients mainly from my garden, with maybe a couple of things added (like peppers, because my garden right now is just not producing pepp...more
Joyce
Terrific book, covering jams, jellies, marmalades, conserves, pickles, chutneys, salsa, flavored oils and vinegars... whew! True to the title, all are geared for small batches, so you don't need a bounteous harvest from the garden or orchard. It's possible to make lovely preserves of all sorts even if you rely on produce and ingredients from the farmer's market, grocery produce or gifts from friends. Most of the recipes, and all that I've done to date, use a water-bath rather than a pressure coo...more
Heidi
This book allows the home canner a lot of flexibility. I can make several small batches in my microwave and have delicious preserves to save all those wonderful summer fruits. The recipes are delicious and the canning technique is very well described. I use these recipes ALL the time.
Erin
I'm enjoying this book tremendously. It's giving me all sorts of ideas for canning and even for winter projects. My plan for winter now includes making my very own mustard! Fun.

They are very toe-the-line in the book when it comes to all the new-fangled canning rules - I'll stick to the old ways, thanks. But in today's foam-padded world I guess that's the way all the books are going to be. What I really need is a canning/preserving book written about 50 years ago, when the people writing the boo...more
Kristi
Good for small batch canning. Clear, easy to understand, good, everyday recipes.
Nancy
Got this from the library. I
Want to make everything in here. I need to go buy a copy (and more jars!)
I made three different kinds of pickles out of this book. I haven't tried any of them yet so I can't comment on the tastiness of the recipes. But the recipes were really nice because they usually only make 3-4 pint jars, rather than the 20 pints or whatever huge amount most books have you making. I'm probably going to buy it if we approve of the recipes once we've tasted the pickles! I made Garlic Dill, Sweet Garlic Dill, and Curried pickles - 11 pints in all, and all with cucumbers from our own...more
penny
I haven't made any of the recipes but am currently reviewing books to decide what I might want to refer to when I finally get a chance to preserve a few things. I took this out thinking my energy and that funny thing called "time" would let me get there this year. I like the aim of smaller yields, but didn't take good enough notes while I was reading it, so I'll have to revisit this one again when I'm closer to the project.
Tasha
I love this book. I've made some of the salsa, the plum sauce, and some of the other recipes, and they've always worked out.
I also love that the authors are writing for a Canadian audience, so the instructions make sense!
Jenna
Jan 05, 2010 Jenna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to do some canning!
Recommended to Jenna by: A friend
I love this book! The instructions are great and easy to follow for someone who has never canned a thing. There is a fabulous variety and I'm planning to do lots and lots of canning with our backyard garden stuff this year! It's a small garden, so this is perfect for those little batches and better yet, I won't be "stuck" in the kitchen all day!
Rebecca
Straight up better than Ball. Ball is a great start, but this is well written with through anyalsis on canning, freezing and other methods. The recipes are more applicable to our lives and well, the variety is better. This book one it's last star because it promotes using no pectin where pectin is not needed, which, if you know me, makes me smile.
Katharine Grubb Hawkinson
I love being a beginner preserver, and this book has been great so far. Some of the recipes have left me guessing, but with experience, I think that I'll get the hang of it a little better. I made the Maple Honey Butter without incident. I love that everything is in a small batch! This is perfect for my little kitchen, and my modest amount of time.
N.L. Riviezzo
I like the concept of this book as I have a very small garden of veggies, and I am the only one consuming what is harvested/canned. The recipes are decent but seem incomplete. Several of them do not follow safe canning practices - it is easy enough to compensate for such but it would be nice if the recipes were complete and straight forward.
Amy
I liked this book, though not as much as the other small batch preserving book I recently read. I think I'm less likely to use the recipes in this book - though there are LOTS - so almost anyone could find a recipe or two useful. I would recommend to those who enjoy a vintage flavor palette, many of this are heritage recipes and flavors.
Auralia
This book has some of the best recipes for canning that I have ever tasted! I loved that these were for small batches, they only made a few pints of the recipe instead of like tons of it. The pickles are great, loved the blueberry jam recipes, loved the apple butter, the salsa and pasta sauces are fantastic. This is one great book.
Marlee
Love the idea of having smaller batches for my smaller apartment. I remember doing a lot of canning with my grandmother but she had one of those "cold rooms" in her basement.

We had made the best dill pickles ever that my grandmother had to put a pad lock on the "cold room" to keep my sister out of it.
Rebecca
I've been holding onto this because it was a gift but I'm comparing recipes for lemon curd and the only one in here is prefaced by the word "Microwave." To the donation pile it goes.
Kate
I love, love, love this canning book. Awesome recipes. I just wish I had more things to can. And more time. And more shelf space. And more jars. You get the idea.
Vivian
I've already made several recipes and have been enormously proud of myself. Easy to follow and the results are terrific. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Megan
The recipe for strawberry preserves is to die for! This is going on my Christmas list -- a good option for those of us who don't own a gianormous canner.
Robin Meadows
Great recipes for small quantities of fresh veggies. Everything from jams to marinades, pickles to flavored oils. I own this book.
Cindy
There were a couple nice recipes in here. I would much prefer to find some with lower sodium and sugar levels.
Lisa
Fabulous. So many wonderful recipes. I borrowed it from the library and have to own a copy for myself.
AJ
I'm trying to like this one but I can't see how it's much better than the Ball Book, for example.
Christy Grayson
It is full of good recipes. I can't wait to get started on preserving my harvest.
Sara
Pretty comprehensive, if not pretty. A lot of the recipes sound good.
LikeTheDog
Many recipes don't follow safe canning procedures.
Rhonda
LOVE This book!!! Great recipes!
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • The Joy of Pickling - Revised: 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
  • Putting Food By
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry
  • Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
Preserving Made Easy: Small Batches and Simple Techniques The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Recipes to Use Year-Round Fresh & Healthy Cooking for Two: Easy Meals for Everyday Life Meals Microwave Style: Menus and Recipes Put A Lid On It: Small Batch Preserving For Every Season