Start by marking “Yippee Ki-Yay Moviegoer: Writings on Bruce Willis, Badass Cinema and Other Important Topics” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
With the hilarious “instant cult classic” Seagalogy: A Study of the Ass-Kicking Films of Steven Seagal, Vern wrote a book that shook the very foundations of film criticism, broke their wrists, and then threw them through a window. Now he’s back, and this time he’s got all of ‘the films of badass cinema’ in his sights...

From Die Hard to The Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoisi
Published April 27th 2010 by Titan Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Yippee Ki-Yay Moviegoer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yippee Ki-Yay Moviegoer

Pamela
Jul 02, 2010 Pamela rated it really liked it
Yippee Ki-Yay Moviegoer isn’t so much a book about Bruce Willis as it is a collection of Vern’s reviews from years past, but aside from the slightly misleading title (it does say “And Other Important Topics”), I really enjoyed the hell out of this book. Vern’s reviews and rants are funny, irreverent at times, reverent at other times (or at the same time), and are often surprisingly insightful.

As I’m sure you’ve gathered from reading this blog, I love pop culture. Back in the ivory tower of acade
Chris Williams
Feb 21, 2013 Chris Williams rated it really liked it
Vern's a critic who shares my tastes; he loves tough action movies, and his thoughts on "Die Hard" are fantastic. He's second only to FilmCrithulk as the best online critic, and his tough-guy character belies a great understanding of the misunderstood genius of some action classics.
William Johnson
I have had the pleasure of reading perhaps one of the best film books of ALL TIME and I wish I could exaggerate further. Granted, the book itself isn’t really a book; more it is a collection of previously written works. BUT anthologies are collected all the time and the true trick is finding a way to make randomly selected works flow together. Vern, a writer on Ain’t It Cool News, has put together his writings on, as the subtitles say, Bruce Willis, Badass Cinema, and Other Important Topics, and ...more
Stephanie
May 11, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies
This book needs more love! Vern is an internet film critic, and a damn entertaining one at that. His writing style is casual, like you're talking face-to-face with a really nice, down to earth kind of guy. Like he's aspiring to Bruce Willis in Die Hard, except instead of macho, he entertains you with words. And a killer sense of humor.

Yipee Ki-Yay Moviegoer is an assortment of different movie reviews and reflections. Highly recommended for any movie buff or enthusiast looking to broa...moreThis
Marlowe
Mar 10, 2014 Marlowe rated it really liked it
A fine collection of Vern's film reviews, featuring his trademark digressions and informal style.
Thomas Lehman
Oct 16, 2014 Thomas Lehman rated it liked it
It was ok, not as great as his Seagology Book
Kelvin
Mar 04, 2011 Kelvin rated it really liked it
I've been reading Vern's film reviews for a long time now. He appears to have the same tastes as me; a love for classic films and of the arty independent type, but also a non-ironic appreciation for the uncompromising action film. This is a collection of his reviews from years past mixed with a few updated commentaries. A nice read and one for all lovers of film.
Paul Whiffin
Jun 25, 2010 Paul Whiffin rated it really liked it
Amazing reviews. I've only read the reviews of the films I've seen so far. The reviews I've read are so good, that I want to see all the films in the book to enjoy the reviews fully, even though some of them look awful. I'm talking about you, transformers!
Trung
Oct 01, 2010 Trung rated it it was amazing
Writing verging on the non-sense, but incredibly funny and witty. Most of all, talks about bad and good movies with equal prejudice.
Mike Wigal
Aug 29, 2013 Mike Wigal rated it really liked it
This is film review as it should be. Vern is hilarious and in his own way genius. I mean who does reviews of Mary Poppins AND Predator?
Christopher
Jun 10, 2011 Christopher rated it really liked it
Ridiculously entertaining.
Jon Waldman
Jon Waldman marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
MJ Schwartz
MJ Schwartz marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Ztyu
Ztyu marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Aliaksandr
Aliaksandr marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Lawless
Lawless marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Steve Parcell
Steve Parcell marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Joel Gordon
Joel Gordon marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Eric Henderson
Eric Henderson rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Dan Berends
Dan Berends marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Snpefk
Snpefk marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
josh day
josh day marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
John Boucher
John Boucher is currently reading it
Mar 23, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Eamonn
Eamonn rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Marty
Marty rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Mal Art
Mal Art rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
MightyCake
MightyCake marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Sabalos
Sabalos is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2016
  • Ink-Stained Amazons and Cinematic Warriors: Superwomen in Modern Mythology
  • Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe
  • Searching for John Ford
  • Making a Killing: The Explosive Story of a Hired Gun in Iraq
  • You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried: The Brat Pack, John Hughes, and Their Impact on a Generation
  • My Year of Flops: The A.V. Club Presents One Man's Journey Deep into the Heart of Cinematic Failure
  • Jon Ronson's Adventures With Extraordinary People
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am
  • The Battle of Brazil: Terry Gilliam V. Universal Pictures in the Fight to the Final Cut
  • Alfred Hitchcock: The Man Who Knew Too Much (Icons)
Vern, the self-styled ‘outlaw film critic’, is known to millions for his hilarious reviews on the Ain’t It Cool News website, and is described by Hellboy director Guillermo Del Toro as “equal parts Hell’s Angels and Pauline Kael... a national treasure!”
More about Vern...