Start by marking “It's Not What You Think” as Want to Read:
It's Not What You Think

It's Not What You Think

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  914 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Chris Evans' extraordinary career has seen him become one of the UK’s most successful broadcasters and producers. Here, his autobiography is a funny and frank story of how a boy from a Warrington council estate who started work at 13 and held down 20 different jobs by the time he left school became the most widely acclaimed broadcaster of his generation. From the early dea ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by HarperCollins UK (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not What You Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not What You Think

Tfitoby
10 Fun Memories Involving Me and Chris Evans

10 - Nothing made me late for school more times than The Big Breakfast - I just didn't want to miss a second of that show. It simply wasn't the same when he left.
9 - I spent an unknown quantity of time mimicking his actions on Don't Forget Your Toothbrush, complete with soundtrack.
8 - The last gift my great grandmother ever bought me was the Christmas single from Zig & Zag
7 - Spending Saturdays listening to Rock & Roll Football on Virgin Radio
Jules
This autobiography charts part of the life so far of Chris Evans – a Northern British media figure who has, at periods, dominated TV and radio output in the UK.

In recent times I have warmed to Evans as a knowledgeable persona who is gently entertaining and seems to sense what listeners and viewers want. I now listen to him almost daily as he presents the morning drive to work slot on BBC radio 2. It’s worth noting that further back in his career I found Evans a bit loud and brash but this book h
Lynsey
I've never been a 'fan' of Chris Evans, but neither has he ever done anything to annoy or offend me! So, I'm not sure I'd have chosen this book for myself, especially given that I tend to shy away from the whole auto/biography genre.

Anyhoo, a good friend lent to me a huge pile of books and this is the one I found myself drawn to first. I picked it for a browse and found it to be really interesting & informative, and I couldn't wait to see what happened next in the saga that is his life.
No o
Mark Farley
A very funny and great insight into such a unique and polarizing British personality, exposing a great deal about the tabloid world and fame. Following Chris on his (quite frankly) ruthlessly meteoric rise through radio, how he cheekily got his breaks, how Timmy Mallett was such a mentor and the extent of risk that he took with so much money at his disposal with so little business acumen and experience is quite astonishing. I'm not a follower of Evans on the radio but I am a big fan of his TV wo ...more
Jim
It galls me to state this, but the autobiographies of Chris Evans, Danny Baker and Piers Morgan - on the face of it, three totally insufferable big heads - are some of the most easy to read, entertaining and enjoyable autobiographies I’ve read. (I draw the line at Russell Brand, no matter how many rave reviews his Booky Wook gets.)
As ever with me, it’s the days before celebrity hits that I most enjoy reading about. However, the recollections from the old school days endured by Chris Evans do lea
Michael
I did not know much about the British radio and television host Chris Evans other than what I had read online and with British media that is not always flattering for a celebrity. In the past I've downloaded episodes of his podcast to hear interviews he had conducted with musicians and actors but the podcast never really touched on Chris Evans the man.
It's Not What You Think is the story of Evans before he buys his own radio station. If you've read the autobiographies of Chris Moyles, or for Am
Hil
3.5 stars. This took me a while to read because I kept going off on diversions down memory lane via Youtube, watching episodes of TFI Friday, Big Breakfast interviews and so on. I am someone who watched all Chris's TV shows (less so Big Breakfast as I already had a problem getting to school on time) and listened to his Radio 1 breakfast show, happily moving over to Virgin when he did. In fact, I remember I would set my alarm to wake up at the crack of dawn to listen to it all! Somewhere beyond T ...more
Steve Suttie
This book is one of the best autobiographies that I've ever read.

Being a bit of a radio geek, the chapters about Chris Evans' early days in radio, after a long day in the papershop were very interesting. I also come from Manchester and listened to Piccadilly Radio (where Evans began) as a child, so the publication of this book was of huge interest.

Piccadilly produced some of todays biggest stars, including Karl Pilkington, Mark Radcliffe and Scott Mills. But none as big, or with such an extraor
Andy
I always like Chris Evans, having fond memories of The Big Breakfast, Don't Forget your Toothbrush, the Radio 1 breakfast show and most importantly for me, TFI Friday. That show was a revelation and perfect for my mid-teens britpop years. Down, the line I've fallen out of touch with him, aside from the newspaper headlines a few years back and occasionally catching his Radio 2 show. I have no idea what he's doing currently.

We follow his life as a child in quite a lot of detail, before skipping ah
Scott
Enjoyed it. Mr Evans is a fascinating bloke. I always wondered how he'd funded buying Virgin Radio and now I know!
The book itself us split up into very easy to pick up and put down snippets. Mostly are about 3-4 pages long and pre-faced by an amusing Top 10 that hints at the chapter ahead. Very easy to read and if your teenage years were when Chris Evans was in his pomp (early to mid 90's) with The Big Breakfast, Don't Forget Your Toothbrush and the brilliant TFI Friday (I can still remember Th
Godzilla
Another biography of a character that I didn't particularly like! I keep doing this to myself, and keep being pleasantly surprised. Perhaps I'm not becoming a stereotypical grumpy old man, rather mellowing with age?

Chris Evans actually comes across as a reasonable bloke in this, but then if you can't make yourself sound good, then who can!?

To be fair he doesn't totally gloss over his relationship faux pas, but neither does he expose his ex-partners to scrutiny.

He's been through a lot and whilst
Mark
Well, the book's title was quite well chosen. Despite the media image as cocky, arrogant and self-centred, this book shows that Chris Evans isn't like that really. I guess in writing this book, Chris was forced to go back over past mistakes (and he'd be the first to admit that he's made them) and re-assess the situation. Having read the book it is quite easy to see why he's so popular (and it's not because of the money he's made). His attitude and whole approach to life is very upbeat and refres ...more
Sara Lou
I like the way CE put this together with the Top Tens heading every chapter. You can imagine the guy reading this out loud with his usual energetic style and it's a fun inside look into the career of a man who truly adores the world of Radio. It makes Radio sound fun back in the day, makes me yearn for the kind of Radio he talks about, though Radio One may still veer on the kind of shows he describes, there's a nostalgia that seems to linger over the idea of how Evans pieces a show together, how ...more
Mrs Janet
Just love this book it is so easy to read, it is great that it has short chapters which makes it easy to catch up when a length of time has passed between reading them .Will definitely read his next one .....
Jules Scott
I enjoyed this book. It is well written and easy to read. It gives a real insight into Chris' life. I will have to read the second book now to find out more! He seems to be the type of person you either love or hate but although I am not a real fan and can "take or leave" him, I thought he came across well in this book as a really nice guy.
Rachel
Skirts over lots of details and Evans never really acknowledges his poor treatment of others explicitly. I watched the programmes and listened to the radio 1 breakfast show so found it fascinating all the same, despite the air brushing. He treated his radio colleagues appallingly at times and I was very interested to see how he'd behave some years later on Radio 2's drive time slot.

The best stories are the John Cleese and Richard Branson parts. I really enjoyed both.

** so annoying not to have t
Natalie
Blah blah blah, brings back all the memories of why I always disliked this guy
Mark Birchall
Great read . Growing up watching and listening to Chris Evans it was wonderful to read the book about how it all started . He seems really honest about his past and the buying of Virgin radio is captivating . Looking forward to part two.
Karen
I LOVED this and would have given it 5 stars if he had taken the story further rather than stop at a point that allows a predictable sequel. He hasn't even proposed to Billy Piper by the end!!!!
He is articulate, funny, insightful and wise. The Top 10's at the beginning of every chapter are spot on. This book should be on the reading lists for management - it imparts so much information about what turns people on and off and how to get the best from people. He is inspirational in a non-conformist
Donna
A really inspirational read. Chris Evans comes from the next town to me and I have always been a fan from his TFI and Big Breakfast days. this is a really honest account of his early life and his rise to fame. It sure wasn't handed to him. He was tenacious, daring and a little cheeky (typical of us northerners). What shines through is his attitude. He wants it so he does everything in his power to get it, but not in a malicious way. He has sure made some errors but he doesn't hide from then. A r ...more
Frances
He was 31 when he bought Virgin Radio from Richard Branson. TV and Radio presenter, Chris Evan gotta have SOMETHING to achieve that! I always fond of his show TFI Friday when I was in uni back in the mid-90s. Even up till now I still remember vividly how the studio looked like and how exciting the atmosphere was with the live audience.
You cannot compare this autobiography with any other historical figures or politicians because Chris Evan is not quite a legend yet but his colorful life (so far)
Mark
Not a big fan of celebrities in general, but I did used to enjoy TFI Friday as a teenager and was curious to know the story behind the story of Evans fall from the grace of the media spotlight. This book is rich with stories in the entertainingly snappy style CE is known for, but also offers insight and honest reflection into the often crazy world of a creative yet highly impulsive ginger-haired man. All in all a very enjoyable read - especially his interactions with Richard Branson, which left ...more
Paul Wardman
A look at Chris Evans' early life through to his rise to fame. Charting successes, past lovers, almost self destructive lunacy all while entertaining the nation in a way only he could. This was an enjoyable read, Chris is honest about the madcap antics he did and gives insights into some of the deals that made him a household name.
This was also a trip down memory lane, tales of The Big Breakfast, Don't Forget Your Toothbrush and TFI Friday brought huge smiles to my face.
Now, onto book 2
Chris Wood
I was initially a little embarrassed to find myself wanting to read Chris Evans' autobiography as I'm not a great fan of modern celebrity biographies (see: Cheryl Cole, Jordan, etc).

However this book was a very light but interesting read. Great for bedtime reading too as it's made up of short but snappy chapters.

It's easy to think of celebrities as shallow, but Chris is somebody with surprising depth, determination and insight.
Aunty Janet
I found some of this interesting and liked the 'top 10' at the start of each chapter. I suppose he's got a right to be self-congratulatory, but I did wonder if his description of the ending of all those relationships was quite as amicable as he suggested! He's obviously worked hard to get where he is, but I was more interested in his post 'big breakfast' days, so will have to read the sequel to get to that. Clever!
Barry Bridges
This was an autobiography that you just can't stop reading. He's younger than me but shows what you can achieve if you really really want it enough. The story flows and entices and each chapter sort of ends with it's own cliffhanger to force you into the next. A very accomplished book from a worthy storyteller. Made all the more poignant by the letters from firends at the end!!
Keith Lawrence
Really enjoyable - especially with Chris reading it himself...
Katrina
My hardcover copy of this book only has 334 pages not 352 as the description states.

Unlike Dawn French's book "Dear Fatty," this is a more traditional autobiography, but that's not keeping me from treating it as a collection of essays and reading a chapter here and there along with all of the other essay and short story books I'm currently reading.
Peter
I heard Evans talk about this book and his life experiences at the Cheltenham Literature Festival - the audience found it very moving. I was a little sceptical about his self-analysis and re-creation but I think he might be a genuine bloke. His book rattles along and he's not afraid to admit to some pretty poor behaviour.
Janet
Everyone in the UK 'knows' all about Chris Evans - how could they not? But do they *really* know? In his autobiography Chris is very open about his faults and arrogant behaviour of the past - we get a feel for how he has grown up - in public. My only disappointment was that it ended too soon - roll on part 2!
  • Saturday Night Peter: Memoirs of a Stand-Up Comedian
  • Frank Skinner Autobiography
  • Small Man in a Book
  • Why Do I Say These Things?
  • What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography
  • The Gospel According to Chris Moyles: The Story of a Man and His Mouth
  • Vanished Years
  • Ooh! What a Lovely Pair: Our Story
  • Elvis and the Memphis Mafia
  • John Bishop: How Did All This Happen?
Chris Evans is a British radio broadcaster.
More about Chris Evans...
Memoirs Of A Fruitcake How to Double Your Wedding Business in 12 Months: The Roadmap to Success for Wedding Professionals Influencers