Start by marking “The Lost Queen” as Want to Read:
The Lost Queen

The Lost Queen

A novel based on the life of George III's sister, Princess Caroline-Matilda, whose marriage brought her to the throne and whose secret love brought her to disaster. This is a story of high romance and tragedy, a moving drama of human frailty set against the implacable demands of a royal crown. With careful attention to the historical record, Norah Lofts has recreated Carol ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published October 12th 1981 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Queen

Susan
Mar 23, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had been spying this book sitting on my ignored to be read bookcase while I happily read away on my Kindle. Having decided earlier this month to make a dent in my TBR bookcase, I pulled this book off it. It is the tragic story of Caroline Matilda, youngest sibling of King George III, and her marriage to the insane King Christian VII of Denmark. This tale was recently told in the Danish film A Royal Affair which was nominated for a Best Foreign Film Oscar. I've read another novel about this (Th ...more
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
After recently viewing the wonderful Danish Movie A Royal Affair I eagerly began searching for a historical fictional account about the scandalous love affair between Caroline Matilda, the Queen of Denmark and Dr Johan Struensee, Physician to her husband King Christian VII. I was amazed to find not a lot of books out there using their romance as the basis for a novel.

The Lost Queen written by Norah Lofts and first published in 1969 unfortunately suffers because of its writing style, common of t
Mary
Feb 09, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes historical fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Paperback Swap
This is the story of Queen Caroline of Denmark and her love affair with Doctor Struensee. Princess Caroline-Matilda was King George III's sister and married King Christian of Denmark. This historical novel is based on fact and brings to life eighteenth century Denmark. I love Norah Lofts as a writer and give this story an A+!
Maryse
Apr 22, 2007 Maryse rated it liked it
Shelves: royalty
I hate tragic stories but for some reason, I'm drawn to them. I bought this book on sale because it had the word "Queen" on it and I'm a sucker for historical books about royals.

Compared to other historical books on royalty I've read, this is pretty good. The story is interesting, the pacing is good and the writing does not become stale. It implies a lot of things whose veracity I am not sure of, but it nevertheless makes for a more colorful, if not more romantic, story. But, like most books of
India
Dec 16, 2016 India rated it liked it
I honestly took a long to read this novel and it wasn't bad. I love fantasy and so this was a big leap for me since I don't love this genre. But since fantasy usually include royal families I thought why not give this one a go. So I honestly liked it, but also didn't love. This is a great book if you're into royal families and what went on inside them.
Erin
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I can't say Norah Lofts' The Lost Queen will go down as one of my all-time favorite reads, but I will say the book sparked a genuine interest in both Princess Caroline Matilda and the general history of Denmark. A literal blank slate, I knew nothing about this story prior to picking it up, but by the time I'd finished I was consumed with a desire to know more.

This being my first encounter with Lofts, I didn't know what to ex
Sheryl Tribble
Quite enjoyed the first 150 pages or so; now it's become a romance it's getting boring. I think Lofts has softened Queen Caroline Matilda considerable -- this morning I read Loft's version of a meeting between Caroline and her mother that Lofts puts in a lovely garden, where Caroline's mother gently admonishes her about her rumored lover and Caroline strives to treat her mother with respect outwardly; according to Barbara Clay Finch, Caroline actually received her mother while wearing breeches ( ...more
Faye Johnson
Feb 05, 2017 Faye Johnson rated it really liked it
Based on the life of Caroline Mathilde of Great Britain, the author paints a powerful story of court life and the evils that often went on behind closed doors. Married at 15 to Christian of Denmark, Caroline was yet another young bride used to cement ties between royal families. Family rivalries, jealousy, a monarch sinking deeper and deeper into insanity, adultery, and ambition all played a role in the tragic outcome. Norah Lofts is a favorite author and this book was hard to put down.
Jan
Apr 05, 2013 Jan rated it liked it
My daughter read the back of the book’s dust jacket, and said it read like a Harlequin Romance. She is right, it does. But the book is not a romance, though the main part of the story indeed covers the Queen’s adulterous and treasonous affair with the lunatic King’s physician.

I didn’t previously know anything about these people, and it is not my preferred time period. I bought the book on impulse for about 50 cents because I love historical fiction. The time period covered fit into a Goodread’s
Ruth
Mar 14, 2013 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
c1968: This is not particularly a favourite period of history and this was certainly a series of events that I had not come across before. I felt that, in this book, Ms Lofts merely padded the time line of events. The characters were wooden and even the dramatic events were just stated - no emotion what so ever. I get the feeling that Ms Lofts did not particularly like the people she was writing about either. It was ok but there are better historical novels out there. "She was not to blame, her ...more
Rebecca
Mar 15, 2013 Rebecca rated it did not like it
If you want a novel about Queen Caroline Matilda, I suggest reading the Royal Physician's Visit. This novel was more descriptive than RPV, but it never really got inside the head of any of the characters or their relationships. I felt like I was doing a really bad skimming job of reading a biography, in that it felt more like a vague blow by blow account than a novel. I couldn't make it past page 200 of 300, and I skipped to the last 30 or so pages and decided I would rather move on to another b ...more
Christie Owens
Feb 24, 2016 Christie Owens rated it it was amazing
A Danish heritage, unexplored, brought this abandoned book to my attention. I bought it, started it, and then put it off because of it's tragic end. Beginning again out of curiosity about this pretty 15 year old to be married off to the crazy Danish King, the writing kept me easily propelled through to the inevitable ending of good people with humanitarian intentions against a deceiptful, autocratic government. RIP takes on new meaning.
Carmen
Apr 18, 2010 Carmen rated it really liked it
A throughly interesting book that I had trouble putting down, about something I know nothing about. Carolina is the sister of the British queen in the 1770's time period. She is married off to the king of Denmark, where the life is not so forward as it is in England. She is dismayed by the cruelities the normal person feels, and tries to change things. In the process she falls in love and commits treason. She dies.
Spitz
Jan 30, 2009 Spitz rated it really liked it
This is about the youngest sister of King George the III who is married to the King of Denmark, who is insane because of syphilis. She gets to know a Danish doctor with progressive ideas, and then it goes all down hill from there. I was shocked by what I learned in this book about what Denmark was like in 1770.
E.H. Walter
Dec 02, 2012 E.H. Walter rated it did not like it
I gave up reading this halfway through because the narrative was so random, jumping past events and briefly referring to them. It kept me reading for the first half, but then I decided to spare myself and just look up the "lost queen's" fate on Wikipedia. It was as guessed.
Elizabeth
Aug 01, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was captivating and heartfelt, not unlike the real life affair between Queen Caroline Matilda and Dr. Johann Struensee. Fans of the film "A Royal Affair" should read this book, and fans of the book should most assuredly see the film if you haven't already.
Nancy Lockett
Drat! I can't remember when my fascination with historical fiction of the royalty begin.... was it when Katy and I went to the Nicholas and Alexandria exhibit in Jackson or did that just hook me more??? Hmmmm... now I need to find a biography of Matilda.
Angie
Nov 10, 2010 Angie rated it really liked it
I love histrocial fictions and this is a good one. It is the story of the true princess Caroline, sister to King George III, who is married off to the new King of Denmark. This book contains no graphic love scenes or foul language. It is just a good story!
Donna
Aug 08, 2013 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this novel by Lofts far less compelling than other historical fiction by her that I've read this summer. Perhaps that's due to my having seen the movie "A Royal Affair" about this topic earlier this year.
Karen Galber
Jul 17, 2014 Karen Galber rated it really liked it
Very sad story of Caroline Matilda who was sister of George Iii. She is married to the mad absolute monarch of Denmark who treats Caroline abominably. Caroline ' s story was recently made into a film. " Her royal Affair"
Mary
Aug 23, 2012 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2012
I enjoyed this, and liked finding out about an unknown historical figure.
Haidee
Feb 05, 2015 Haidee rated it it was amazing
A great book full of history, romance, scandal and suspense.

I love the high English language.
Philippa Reed
Aug 14, 2012 Philippa Reed rated it liked it

Interesting to learn about an era of history I knew nothing about!! Not sure how true all the details are but enjoyable but a bit slow towards the end.
Nikki Mcgee
Aug 13, 2012 Nikki Mcgee rated it it was amazing
A tragic but wonderful read. I had to stop myself from looking up the ending as I did not know Caroline's story, but it inspired me to find out more.

Jane Routley
Mar 22, 2014 Jane Routley rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Nice solid historical novel. Caroline Mathilde lover Strehlow is a pretty important guy in Denmark - enough so to be played by Mads Mikkleson in the recent movie on the topic. Good read. Sad story.
Jessica
Dec 11, 2012 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
The concept of writing it as a novel is a good idea but I found it would have been more interesting as a straight history book.

Janet
Aug 23, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it
I guess being a queen isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Megan
Compelling true story of a princess married to a madman. I would have rated this higher, but on further research found that some of the details weren't portrayed correctly.
Tracey
A sad but not brilliant re telling of Queen Caroline Matilda life in Denmark
Lindsey Cook
Jan 05, 2012 Lindsey Cook rated it liked it
An interesting book. A but oddly written at times with so many character voices that can be distracting.
  • The Vow on the Heron (Plantagenet Saga, #9)
  • The Witches
  • The Secret Wife of King George IV
  • The Royal Physician's Visit
  • With All My Heart
195727
Also published using the pseudonyms Juliet Astley and Peter Curtis

Norah Lofts, née Norah Robinson, (27 August 1904–10 September 1983) was a 20th century best-selling British author. She wrote over fifty books specialising in historical fiction, but she also wrote non-fiction and short stories. Many of her novels, including her Suffolk Trilogy, follow the history of a specific house and the residen
More about Norah Lofts...