Start by marking “PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 008 (Pluto, #8)” as Want to Read:
PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 008 (Pluto, #8)

PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 008 (Pluto #8)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  1,079 ratings  ·  72 reviews
R to L (Japanese Style). A new vision based on Astroboy - "The greatest robot on earth". Final Volume!
Published April 6th 2010 by VIZ Media (first published June 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about PLUTO, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PLUTO

Agne Jakubauskaite
Apr 12, 2015 Agne Jakubauskaite rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
Recommended to Agne by: Panels & Pages Book Group
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

“Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 008” by Naoki Urasawa and Takashi Nagasaki is the last book in an eight-book science fiction manga series Pluto. The whole series is based on “The Greatest Robot on Earth,” the most popular story arc in Astro Boy series written by a legendary manga master Osamu Tezuka.

Thanks to Gesicht’s memory chip, Atom, a.k.a. Astro Boy, wakes up. However, he is different: provided with the memories and emotions of the other six great robots of the world, Atom
أحمد رشيد
رائع... رائع ... رائع
أول مانجا مكتمل أقرأه بكافة أجزاءه و فصوله...
هو عبارة عن 8 أجزاء... قُسمت كل منها إلى فصول... بمعدل 8-9 فصل لكل جزء... أي أن مجموعها كاملة 65 فصل تماماً... و كل فصل منها تحوي ما معدّله 25 صفحة...
*********
القصة مذهلة... مع بعض التعقيد, و لكن كل الألغاز تحل في الجزء الأخير من القصة...
هذه القصة مبنية على مسلسل "آسترو بوي" المشهور... مع أن آسترو "أو آتوم كما ذكر اسمه في المانجا" ليس هو البطل الرئيسي... و لكن له دور مهم...
بنيت القصة كما ذكرت على ذلك المسلسل...لكن بنضوج و وعي أكبر
William Hanley
Urasawa's Pluto (the 21st Century adaptaion of Osamu Tezuka's "Astro Boy") has become my favorite manga series to date. A masterful story of suspense and mystery with a thought-provoking foundation of philosophical questions - such as the connection between humans and robots. When the separation between humans and robots become smaller and smaller to the point where it's hard to tell the difference between the two, what is the effect on society? I think it's fascinating to think about ethics in ...more
Jeff Lanter
I have to admit that I was losing interesting in Pluto in the last two volumes. The stories took a turn towards the predictable with Epsilon (a character I did really like but could see where the story was going well before it happened) and then the villain's evil plans that feel like too many other movies and TV shows out there. However, the ending really nailed the landing. I found the message of Pluto to be really moving. Good endings are not easy to pull off, especially in a longer form of s ...more
Jeff
dreams_of_a_butterfly
Info
Book: PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 008
Author: Naoki Urasawa
Series: Pluto (8th book)
Length: Medium

Summary
The conclusion to the Pluto series... Sorry, can't reveal more!

Review
Really, a suitable ending. With a diverse range of characters, and a stunning end from all the threads of story. Atom's story is a good one, and I felt myself getting emotional at times.
I will miss you, Gesicht and Atom.

This review was made with help from the Review writing topic from the Challenge Factory group. Than
Stéphanie
Encore une série d'Urasawa puissante et prenante. C'est également un ben bel hommage à Tezuka.Je regrette cependant une fin un peu faiblarde en comparaison avec les autres tomes, mais globalement il s'agit malgré ce léger défaut d'une série vraiment excellente tant au niveau du dessin qu'au niveau des émotions véhiculées par l'histoire.
Verónica
Tengo un cacao mental con este manga... No me he enterado mucho... xDDD Pero a estado bien!!
Laur K.
This series is so great you guys. I mean, I have a few complaints (too many dicks on the dance floor, this very stark and unanimous segregation between robots and humans that just doesn't seem all that right), but they pale in how intense and emotionally resonant this series is. Unlike so much "robot" stuff, this isn't about artificial intelligence becoming more "human" or "human" being this precious pinnacle, but showing different ways of being sentient that isn't exclusive to neurotypical huma ...more
Kamillah
"Nothing comes of hate." It's a simple, straightforward message, just four words to encapsulate much of Naoki Urawasawa's epic series about a serial killer robot who ultimately takes his last stand against a boy robot who finally learns how to hate. The Pluto series is complex, multi-layered, and confusing at times because of the abrupt time jumps and shifts of perspective. I can't pretend it all made sense to me--I read the final explanation of Pluto and Bora at least three times and I'm still ...more
Hugo
Normalmente me pasa con las historias de Naoki Urasawa que las devoro. Me paso con Monster y con 20th Century Boys. Ahora con la historia del Robot mas fuerte del mundo, da su vision a una historia de Osamu Tezuka de parte del robot de la europol Gesicht, remarcando aun su fascinacion por Alemania ubicando a su protagonista en Dusseldorf. El protagonismo poco a poco va recayendo en Atom. La historia esta repleta de intrigas, todos peleando por interesas propios, dejando relegado los combates los ...more
Leslie
Finally! the dramatic conclusion to Urasawa x Tezuka’s Pluto.

By the seventh volume of Pluto, it looks like the bad guys have won and the Reader is left reeling from one incredible loss after another. There are also some unanswered questions, like: What is up with that cuddly-looking yet creepy teddy bear?

What that United States of Thracia related teddy bear is is confirmed in volume 8, and the “weapons of mass destruction” investigation/fall-out is completely revealed. Yes, the political maneuve
Tintinrulz
"Pluto" by Naoki Urasawa and Takashi Nagasaki is a quality manga series based on Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy universe, particularly his story "The Greatest Robot in the World". The series comprises of 8 volumes and is much more serious in tone than Tezuaka's original. It's told in the vein of a sci-fi/crime/thriller. I'll be reviewing the English translation.

TRANSLATION:
The English translation is well done and includes minimal spelling and grammatical errors. I absolutely believe it would've been b
Damon
Really incredible stuff. Taking the relative simplicity of Astro Boy and expanding it into work like this would be impressive enough on its own, but this stands on its own even without being familiar with the original AB story, or even having much acquaintence with the character at all.
It's really interesting how Urasawa manages to evoke such emotional connection to characters even though they're "just robots" - I think, in a way, that you make a stronger connection to them, and see their suffer
Christina
This series was quite the ride. When I had to stop in mid-read to go to work, it was agony. I loved the personalities of the "Seven Greatest Robots," their interactions with each other and the way the relationships formed between certain people, especially human and robot characters, were portrayed, like with Gesicht and Professor Hoffman. The event at the end of Volume 6 had my jaw dropping in shock. This story will stay with me for a long, long time.
Hengtee
Jacob Williams
The reviews led me to expect a lot from this series. I may be missing some relevant cultural background (such as prior knowledge of Astro Boy) needed to appreciate it - it was enjoyable, but nonsensical elements in the plot and setting detracted.
Jacki
I waited until I read Vol 8 to review this series because I felt like it should be considered as one large work instead of volume by volume.

I LOVE this series. It's wonderful. Mystery, action, the ever-present question of how far AI can evolve... I got very attached to the robot characters and found the multiple deaths saddening, but I think that just means the authors did their job.

This series was my introduction to Astroboy. I knew the history of the anime and manga, but had never seen or rea
Philippe Lhoste
La suite et la fin des premiers volumes.
La fin m'a un peu déçu, peut-être parce que les auteurs ont construit un suspense et un mystère tel que toute conclusion sonne un peu creuse...
Reste la narration, toujours à suspense (un peu dure à suivre par moment), les idées généreuses (un peu simpliste : "la guerre, la haine, c'est mal", mais suffisamment bien traités pour que ça passe sans être naïf), le dessin superbe.

Bon, certaines explications sont un peu légères. Pourquoi un robot "meurt", surtout
Ahmed Abdelmoteleb
Perfect plot, perfect art, perfect tragedy, perfect escalation of events, perfect and satosfying conclusion.
it's been a long since I last read something that I felt so close and being drawn completely by it's whole being.
How good does it feel seeing a robot AI close to human ?! if you want to know the answer you gotta read pluto.
Marika
J'ai vraiment, vraiment adoré cette série, qui m'aura arraché quelques larmes plus d'une fois. Une très belle découverte totalement par hasard que je suis très heureuse d'avoir faite.
andrew
WHAT. that was the end?! is this how upset I was when monster ended? because I am furious.
Kanti
Jul 05, 2009 Kanti rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any comic freak
Shelves: blog, manga
Jilid terakhir dari reinterpretasi satu babak karya Tezuka Osamu oleh Urasawa Naoki, "Robot terbesar di Dunia". Tamat euy. Capai memeras jantung dan air mata juga menungguinya selama ini, drama robot-robot sok sensitif, banyak yang harus dimaknai sendiri. Dan untuk beberapa saat ini kayaknya cara pandang saya terhadap beruang Teddy akan berubah drastis.

Sayang sampulnya kali ini kenapa gambar si Atom lagi. Kan sudah di jilid 2. mestinya pasang muka orang lain dong, biar gantian. Tapi Urasawa leb
Raúl
Impresionante. De verdad. Uno de los mejores mangas que haya leído nunca. Pensé que Urasawa no se podría superar tras Monster y 20th Century Boys pero lo ha hecho con este homenaje al padre del manga, Osamu Tezuka.
En 8 simples tomos desarrolla de una forma unos personajes y un universo de forma maravillosa y hace que nos enganchemos a esta gran historia.
Eso sí, aunque sea tan genial, el final me parece un poco cojo. Le falta como un cierto epílogo o algo que termine de cerrar todo correctamente.
Tanti Melia Fajrianti
Good ending than Urasawa's others manga (20th Century Boys and Monster).
Sandro
I'm beginning to feel a pattern on Manga: endings always feel rushed. Unfortunately, Pluto does not constitute an exception.

Great characters, great story (touching interesting and controversial themes) and then the end... It's like the mangaka as already put all his effort in the story and just wants to end with it.

It felt rushed, with lots of explanations to give, the climax resolution happened too quickly and the after thought also didn't help.

In my opinion, the story needed at least more 2
Lissibith
A fantastic ending to a great series. I can't say 8 is my favorite volume - it has a little too much wrapping up to do - but taken as an ending, it pulls everything together, puts the sacrifices and losses in context and left me with the feeling that there really weren't any truly bad guys - or if they were, they came much later than the conflict everyone's so focused on. It left me hopeful and sad at the same time, a rare and cherished effect for any sort of book to have.

Highly recommended for
Sora91
Serie muy recomendable.
Me gusta como arranca la historia y como vamos conociendo la personalidad de cada uno de los robots. El ritmo de la narración se corresponde con el guión: lo suficientemente lento como para desarrollar bien los personajes pero no tanto como para perder los elementos de intriga del argumento.
No es que sea muy determinante pero el final no me ha acabado de convencer. Creo que hay aspectos que merecían una explicación más extensa.
La valoración global de los cinco volúmenes se
Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
Quite over the top with obvious messages.
The president of The United States of Thracia.... America, looking for weapons of mass destruction, and over arching desire to rule the world, hatred and disrespect breeds more of the same, the fact that no one ever wins in a war, the existence of inherent good and it being Kore natural than hatred... these are some deep issues all confronted in this tale. This is one time I like being preached too.
I loved Pluto disputes its lack of subtlety. Great. And
  • Black Jack, Vol. 2
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 3 (Children of the Sea, #3)
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 2
  • Planetes, Volume 2 (Planetes, #2)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • Akira, Vol. 4 (Akira, #4)
  • Berserk, Vol. 23
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 3 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #3)
  • Gantz/6
Urasawa Naoki ( 浦沢 直樹) is a Japanese mangaka. He is perhaps best known for Monster (which drew praise from Junot Díaz, the 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner) and 20th Century Boys.

Urasawa's work often concentrates on intricate plotting, interweaving narratives, a deep focus on character development and psychological complexity. Urasawa has won the Shogakukan Manga Award, the Japan Media Arts Festival ex
More about Naoki Urasawa...

Pluto (8 books)
  • PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001 (Pluto, #1)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 002 (Pluto, #2)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003 (Pluto, #3)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 004 (Pluto, #4)
  • PLUTO: 浦沢 直樹 x 手塚 治虫 005 (Pluto, #5)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 006 (Pluto, #6)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 007 (Pluto, #7)
Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1: Herr Dr. Tenma (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #1) PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001 (Pluto, #1) 20th Century Boys, Band 1 (20th Century Boys, #1) PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 002 (Pluto, #2) PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003 (Pluto, #3)