Start by marking “Hindenburg, 1937” as Want to Read:
Hindenburg, 1937

Hindenburg, 1937 (Historical Disasters #1)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  449 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
To escape the escalating turmoil of Nazi Germany, Anna Becker, with the help of a handsome young stranger named Eric, sneaks aboard the Hindenburg just before its voyage to America and finds herself torn between her growing feelings for Eric and Karl, anold flame and a passenger on the doomed airsh
Published July 1st 1999 by Simon Pulse

Nick Zolikoff
Oct 28, 2013 Nick Zolikoff rated it it was amazing
Have you ever felt you were forced to do everything, but what you wanted. That’s how Anna feels in the Hindenburg 1937.

Anna is young woman in Frankfurt, Germany in April 1937.Since, Anna’s grandfather had died Anna did not have any immediate family near by to stay with so she is taken care of by her brother a military commander. When her grandfather died his wish was for her to travel to America on the zeppelin Hindenburg and Anna agrees, but her brother has other plans. Anna’s brother wished f
Bev Walkling
I really enjoyed this Young Adult novel describing a young woman's journey on the final voyage of the zepellin Hindenburg in 1937. The cover artwork was appealing and I knew very little about the Hindenburg (beyond that it had exploded) prior to reading this.Anna is running away after the death of her beloved Opa as she knows that if she stays in Germany her brother Kurt will see that she is married off to someone who will control her and shape her into a dutiful German frau.in going on the Hind ...more
Tristine Barth
Feb 09, 2016 Tristine Barth rated it liked it
Shelves: books-11-20
Anna is stuck in a sticky predicament when her grandfather dies just before they were to board the Hindenburg together. The problem is that just before her grandpa died he did not finish his final wish for her, he just grabbed her ticket to the Hindenburg. Anna took this wish to mean that her grandpa would want her to board the Hindenberg. Her brother seems to forbid the whole trip though, how will Anna outwit her brother?

This was a good read, it had some history in it and kept the story enterta
Dlora
Dec 03, 2008 Dlora rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sarah and her girls
I enjoyed this story of a young girl in pre-World War II years trying to escape the Nazi role for women her brother is determined to force her into. Her grandfather has just died and her Hitler-loving brother plans for her to advance his Nazi career by arranging a suitable marriage for her (though since she doesn't completely fit the ideal Aryan image with her brown eyes and her dark-blond hair, she isn't the best marriage bet). She also doesn't fit the mold of the subservient woman who should b ...more
Patt
Feb 12, 2014 Patt rated it really liked it
This was a young adult book which was thoroughly enjoyed by this "not so young" adult. A trip on the last flight of the Hindenburg is a time for romance and for suspense. Who is the good guy, Kurt or Eric? Aside from the romance, there are lots of great descriptions of the interior of the Hindenburg and the workings of it. I didn't realize the owner of the Hindenburg was totally anti Nazi until I read this.

Rick Bavera
Interesting look at a historical event from the perspective of a teenage girl in Nazi Germany.

The lead character loses her grandfather, thinks he wanted to tell her on his deathbed to take the Hindenberg trip. She takes it, thinking it will get her out of a bad situation, and an even worse even occurs--the Hindenburg disaster.
Tena
May 19, 2016 Tena rated it liked it
I'm not sure I can review this without spoiling anything so *SPOILERS AHEAD, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK*

I'm trying really hard not to judge this so quickly, especially since it doesn't have a happy ending. It has a hopeful one, but not a happy one. HINDENBURG, 1937 is a short book, and well written, but I didn't particularly connect with the MC, Anna. If she hadn't been quite so stubborn, and had actually talked to Kurt, then the book might've gone in a different direction. And that's my least favori
Brianon Sheffield
I have always been fascinated by this time period. this was a quick read, but also satisfying.
Erin
Mar 13, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down!! I read for 3 hours straight till I finished!!
Sandra Strange
This novel does a good job of telling the story of the Hindenburg disaster, with a reasonable explanation of who was responsible for the conflagration. It gives good background on Nazi Germany and the conflicting loyalties of many young Germans. However, the romance story that forms the basic plot is hackneyed and formulaic, not up to the other books I have read by this author. The book is positive and harmless, with vivid description of the disaster.

Heather
Aug 08, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
After the death of her grandfather, her brother wanted her go to Berlin and marry someone she doesn't know. She knew it was something to do with his Nazi career. She tries to escape by boarding Hindenburg. During the voyage, she runs into two men, one is Nazi spy and one with dangerous secret, she didn't expect to become romance with them both. Until the diaster strikes, who will survive?
Ashley
Apr 05, 2010 Ashley rated it really liked it
This was a fun little book I picked up to see what Cameron Dokey's writing was like outside of fairy tales. It was pretty basic, but all in all a pretty good, quick read. I don't know that it derserves a full 4 stars from me, but it gets the 4th for a completely unpredictable suprise at the end. Definitely NOT what I had expected, and Ms. Dokey definitely gets some props for that!
Jenny
Apr 15, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
04/10/2010: Found on clearance for 50 cents at Half Price Books Omaha. I like reading WWII/Holocaust novels.

04/14/2010: This book was going along just fine when something happens that made me take away two stars. I was not a happy camper after reading it. I will definitely be selling this book next time I sell stuff at Half Price Books.
Hally
Mar 14, 2010 Hally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the best novels I have ever read. It was the first book to make me cry. It has everything I love in a book: true love, excitement, mystery, danger. The only sad part was the end....if only.....but it was still great. The only book I reread once a year.
Denise
Sep 13, 2011 Denise rated it it was ok
It was short and mostly sweet - but not long enough or detailed enough for me. I liked it, but I wanted so much more. It was like those little sample tastes of ice cream when you are trying to decide which one to get.
Rae
Sep 13, 2013 Rae rated it it was amazing
This was the first book to ever make me cry. I enjoyed it so much that I have re read it multiple times (I had a silly rule at the time to only read books once, ahh those silly younger days)!
Casey
Feb 14, 2012 Casey rated it liked it
read this a long while ago but it was pretty informative I didn't even know what the Hindenburg was at the time and putting in a sweet plot line makes even that tragedy more interesting.
Jess
Oct 17, 2009 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Donya
Jan 02, 2012 Donya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
This is most definitely my favorite book of all time. The book keeps you fascinated till the very end when it shocks you with a sudden twist that you would never see coming.
Meg
Nov 08, 2011 Meg rated it liked it
Cameron Dokey does an excellent job of surprising her readers, I was blown away by the truth of the situation. Careful though, there is a definate tear-jerker ending.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a good book. I love the characters and the plot of the story. I was hooked from the frist page. The ending was very unexpected. I felt bad for Anna.
Brandy
Oct 14, 2009 Brandy rated it it was amazing
I love reading books like this! Ones that tell about history but in a story version. Ones perspective of what happened in that ancient historic event.
Holly
Dec 09, 2010 Holly rated it liked it
I enjoyed this love story centered around the Hindenburg disaster. A quick, easy read with a surprise ending. Not what I expected.
Anna
Well the main girl shares my name thats good. I like that she is not afraid to go her own way. It didnt end the way I wanted it to though
Maryse
Apr 22, 2007 Maryse rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile
The story is obviously targeting teenagers with its romantic love triangle. The historical background is interesting enough, though.
Cowgirl4christ16
Jul 18, 2009 Cowgirl4christ16 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy novels like this, that base a fictional story on actual historic events. I read it high school sometime.
Cinnamon
Was okay. I will probably recommend to a girl wanting historical romance, but no one else.
Arya
Jun 14, 2010 Arya rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, adventure
Surprise ending for me considering it was written by Cameron Dokey. Pretty good . . .
Kristi
Aug 08, 2010 Kristi rated it liked it
Fast read for the drive to Utah. Very predictable, but fun and light.
Amanda
Sep 29, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, romance, historical
Historical YA book about a romance that happens on the doomed Hindenburg.
  • San Francisco Earthquake, 1906
  • Pearl Harbor, 1941
  • Remembering the Titanic
  • Silver Days (Journey to America, #2)
  • Time Enough for Drums
  • The Borrowed House
  • Joanna (Sunfire, #5)
  • Two Girls of Gettysburg
  • Barbara's War
  • Penny (Women & War #2)
  • The Spider and the Sparrow
  • Two Suns in the Sky
  • Lord of Dunkeathe (Brothers in Arms, #2)
  • Amanda (Sunfire, #1)
  • Georgina (Regency Trilogy, #2)
  • In the Shadow of the Lamp
  • Saint Anything Sneak Peek
  • After the Train
Cameron Dokey is an American author living in Seattle, Washington. She has a collection of over 50 old sci-fi and horror films. Cameron was born in the Central Valley of California. Cameron grew up reading classical literature and mythology, perhaps due to her father, Richard, being a teacher of Philosophy, Creative Writing, and Western Literature.

Cameron has one husband and three cats, and is th
More about Cameron Dokey...

Historical Disasters (6 books)
  • San Francisco Earthquake, 1906