Start by marking “The World's Greatest Short Stories” as Want to Read:

The World's Greatest Short Stories

This outstanding collection features short stories by great writers from America, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Western Europe. Ranging from the 19th to the 20th centuries, writers include Poe, Chekhov, Joyce, Kafka, Faulkner, Pirandello, Mann, and other major writers of world literature. A wonderfully wide-ranging and enjoyable anthology
Paperback, Dover Thrift Editions, 236 pages
Published July 28th 2006 by Dover Publications Inc. (first published April 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The World's Greatest Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World's Greatest Short Stories

Cass
May 09, 2014 Cass rated it it was amazing
I am so glad I began this, I think this will be the book that starts a love affair with good short stories.

Up until now I had always detested the genre, largely because all the short-stories that I had ever read kind of ended unhappily.

This book was full of amazing classics, and I am going to comment on a few of my favourites.

"The Necklace" Guy de Maupassant
I think would epitomise what I think a short-story should be. I was left with so many question. How does a 7-page story produce so many ques
Alor Deng
Jan 06, 2015 Alor Deng rated it really liked it
Thank you James Daley for culling together these sublime short stories! I feel that the short story is the most difficult art of literature because it requires the delicate counterbalance of prolixity and succinctness. These authors do just that, well most of them at least. The greatness of this collection is twofold; first is the array of great stories that stretch across many cultures, and second is the new authors that one (in this case me) discovers.

It is from this book that I discovered on
Celine
Nov 14, 2010 Celine rated it liked it
Shelves: advisory-11th
Edited by James Daley
235pp.USA
Dover Publications INC $3.50
ISBN: -486-44776-2

Tired of reading everyday fiction and fantasy books? Then this collection of short stories is the way to go. The World's Greatest Short Stories is a compilation of classics from the nineteenth and twentieth century that are very thought provoking and mysterious.

"The Necklace" is one of the most interesting stories in the collection. It is a French story that tells of a woman who is pre
Aliya
Jun 01, 2012 Aliya rated it it was amazing
am an indie author whose published short stories. I ordered this book, to hone my fiction writing skills.

This book is a collection of the best short stories from Europe and America. The stories are masterfully told and they represent writing at its best. The tales are melancholic, but the narration is superb. If you enjoy short stories, then you would appreciate the art of storytelling which is superbly demonstrated through this collection.

This low cost thrift edition is a Godsend, for those who
Wendy
Dec 24, 2016 Wendy rated it it was amazing
What a great collection from Bartleby to Borges. And the selection of authors is outstanding.
So many unique and haunting stories. I'd have to say that The Necklace is my favorite, that and The Yellow Wallpaper will be with me for a long while.
Ben Shee
Jan 16, 2017 Ben Shee rated it really liked it
I did this one for book club and people got annoyed at me because they didn't like some of the stories. But I have a such a short attention span
Mick
Mar 05, 2013 Mick rated it it was amazing
The World’s Greatest Short Stories, edited by James Daley, is a compilation of twenty of the world’s famous, classic and lasting short stories. Some recognizable authors include America’s Herman Melville, Russia’s Leo Tolstoy and Ireland’s James Joyce.
This collection gives the reader a taste of literature from many countries around the world. Each story is expertly composed and showcases the style and talent of its author. This book is an excellent source for any reader with an appreciation f
Hester
Jul 15, 2016 Hester rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
After reading a spate of novels over the past few years, I longed to read something completely different. The World's Greatest Short Stories was just the thing, with all bar two stories short enough to read before sleep overcame me.

This is a collection of twenty stories taken from great nineteenth- and twentieth-century writers from around the world: Ernest Hemingway, John Updike, Anton Chekhov, James Joyce, Leo Tolstoy, Herman Melville, Virginia Woolf, Chinua Achebe, D.H. Lawrence, Franz Kafka
Timothy McNeil
There are many good short stories here (even a few great ones, including the one that is actually a novella):
Bartleby the Scrivener
Araby
The Garden Party
A Clean, Well-Lighted Place
A&P

There are also stories that are bound to be in an anthology though it doesn't represent the author's best work:
The Yellow Wallpaper
How Old Timofei Died with a Song
The Prussian Officer
Borges and I [To be fair, this is illuminating, but
Bob Conder
Mar 08, 2013 Bob Conder rated it it was ok
I often buy books related to not only my interests, but books which are akin to what I am writing. This was one of those books. Who could not find great stories in the shorter works of Hemingway, Kafka, Melville, Tolstoy and others? Nonetheless I was very disappointed in this book. Perhaps it was that some short stories were 80 pages long, or the reaccuring theme of long paragraphs filled with long sentences trying to explain items that appeared to be more ramblings than verse.

I have failed in
Nicky
Apr 17, 2014 Nicky rated it really liked it
To start with, this book introduced me to the writing of a few literary greats who I hadn’t had the chance to read yet: Herman Melville, Leo Tolstoy, D. H. Lawrence, Franz Kafka, and John Updike. It also gave me a chance to form a firm opinion (positive or negative) on some others whose work I’d read before: Rudyard Kipling, Anton Chekhov, James Joyce, Ernest Hemingway, Chinua Achebe, and Virginia Woolf. Happily, it also introduced me to some authors who I’d never even heard of and in many cases ...more
Brigitte
Jun 16, 2014 Brigitte rated it really liked it
I used this as one of the texts for an Intro to Lit course I taught last semester, and it was great. I partially chose it because of the price (it can be found online for a few bucks) but also because it has a nice mix of standards ("Bartleby the Scrivener," "The Yellow Wallpaper," "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place") and some slightly less common options (like Yasunari Kawabata's "The Bell Cricket and the Grasshopper"). My only complaint is that some of the stories have been sort of lazily translated ...more
Travelin
Jun 28, 2015 Travelin rated it liked it
Shelves: started
With that title, with this long history of short stories in the world, not a single short story should miss, but several did. Granted, those were written by famous authors, such as Checkov, and, given that the publisher went to the trouble of licensing stories still in copyright, it might just be a matter of taste. I may still be too young for choice bits of stories from second-world parlours. Lost in storage.
Radsil
Apr 12, 2010 Radsil rated it really liked it
I just finished it for a literature class and really liked it. While this is a collection of short stories it not a collection of simple stories. Some of these stories are deep and worth more than one read. If you like reading between the lines and enjoy short stories then you will like this book. I highly recommend Araby, A Clean Well-Lighted Place, The Yellow Wallpaper, A Hunger Artist, A & P, and Borges and I.
Jorge
Jan 06, 2015 Jorge rated it it was amazing
An amazing collection of short stories. Classic literature everybody should know, from the very intriguing "Bartleby, the Scrivener" by Herman Melville to the beautifully crafted "Borges and I" by Jorge Luis Borges, this book represents an amazing opportunity to get to know short narrative traditions from very different places in the world.
Jessie Sara
Jul 19, 2012 Jessie Sara rated it it was amazing

Buying this book from Amazon I was finally able to enjoy the works of world greatest writers such as Leo Tolstoy "The lady With the Dog", Hemingway, D.H Lawrence and many more.

Definitely worth buying. I enjoyed reading all the stories.
Val
May 10, 2015 Val rated it really liked it
I'm not sure these are the world's greatest short stories, but this is a very good selection of them. I found several authors whose stories made me want to read more stories by.
The only problem with this book is that the typeface is compact and difficult to read in low light levels.
Krisette Spangler
Nov 17, 2009 Krisette Spangler rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I'm not a big fan of short stories, but when I saw this book, I thought it would be just the thing for me. It was great as each story had a different author, and so each story had a different flavor. I think my favorite story was The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman.
Iida
Sep 15, 2010 Iida rated it did not like it
Shelves: prose, short-stories
More like world's most pointless short stories. Well, gilman's the yellow wallpaper, mann's the path to the cemetery, borges' borges and I and just maybe updike's a&p were in a class of their own. But three out of 19 is a crappy score.
Jake Cooper
May 12, 2013 Jake Cooper rated it liked it
Shelves: shorts
Admirable breadth: 20 stories from a dozen countries, published 1850's to 1960's. Cheers to editor Daley for a try-it-all short story buffet.
Carrie
Aug 01, 2011 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
Some of these short stories are incredibly impressive while others are as dull as can be. Fascinating selection of shorts. Worth the read. Tolstoy's was my favortite.
Amy
Sep 01, 2009 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
Not so much of all time, or even really representative of "world" literature. Mostly stuff from modernism, heavy on the French and English.
Carrie
Jan 10, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: college students
Shelves: booksihavetaught
The translation of Chekhov isn't the best and it's a little European-centric, but a good, solid, cheap book of short stories.
Danielle
Sep 20, 2012 Danielle rated it liked it
Only read 3 or 4 of the storys from this book. But it is a decent collection of short stories. Plus it isn't even $4, so it's worth the price if you like the stories.
Greg
Dec 26, 2015 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable Reads

Great short stories by quite famous authors...refreshing and entertaining reading from a break from complete novels...a good variety of stories.
Maureen
Sep 24, 2016 Maureen rated it liked it
La meilleure reste celle de Maupassant !!!!! Niveau VO difficile, je le relirais plus tard quand j'aurais un meilleur niveau.
Lecture de fac
Stephen W. Anderson
Stephen W. Anderson rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Chris Marcatili
Chris Marcatili rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Ian Russell
Ian Russell rated it really liked it
May 19, 2010
Lance Eaton
Lance Eaton rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2014
  • The Best American Short Stories 2003
  • 101 Great American Poems
  • 100 Best-Loved Poems
  • Aftershock & Others: 19 Oddities
  • The Workshop: Seven Decades of the Iowa Writers Workshop - 43 Stories, Recollections, & Essays on Iowa's Place in Twentieth-Century American Literature
  • The Best of McSweeney's, Vol. 2
  • Say It Again In A Nice Voice
  • American Short Story Masterpieces
  • Short Stories by Latin American Women: The Magic and the Real
  • Անլռելի Զանգակատուն
  • Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Treasury
  • O. Henry Prize Stories 2008 (Pen/O. Henry Prize Stories)
  • Virginia Woolf Reader
  • The Collector's Book of Science Fiction by H.G. Wells
James Ryan Daley is a writer, editor, and designer of various paper-based and digital things. Since finishing his MFA at the Vermont College of Fine Arts in 2004, he has been spending most of his time teaching writing to college students, creating websites about video games, and writing mystery novels about pensive young ne’erdowells. When he's not obsessively poring over pixels and pronouns, he c ...more
More about James Ryan Daley...

“Ah, Bartleby! Ah, humanity!” 0 likes