Bully B.E.A.N.S.

Bully B.E.A.N.S.

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The latest story from hit author Julia Cook, Bully B.E.A.N.S. is a fun story that teaches people of all ages to become proactive when it comes to bullying. This book can help children and adults understand why bullying happens and what they can do to stop it. Finally, a bullying book that speaks to the bystander!
Published April 1st 2009 by National Center for Youth Issues (first published 2009)

Stephanie T.
Bully B.E.A.N.S. is a story about Bobbette the bully who constantly threatens the students at her school. It is not until one student goes home to tell her mother about Bobbette that the mother gives her "bully beans" that if she and her classmates eat, they be able to stand up against Bobbette. What I enjoyed most about this book is the idea concept of helping others who are bullied. This book will give students the ability to know what to do as a bystander or someone in the vicinity of bullyin...more
Jeanine
Bobbette is the bully in her school. She orders her classmates to obey her commands or else she threatens to turn them into human pretzels. One student goes home and tells her mom about the bully. Her mother gives her bully beans that she and her classmates should eat and then come together and face Bobbette and tell her to back off and stop bullying. B.E.A.N.S. stands for Bullies Everywhere are Now Stopped. This book can teach students to come together and stand up to bullies. It helps to answe...more
Brandi
Another great book from Julia. I will absolutely be using this one in my classes. One issue I have with this and most books about bullying is that too often the bully is also portrayed as a victim. In Bully B.E.A.N.S. the bully is being treated badly at home by her brother and she is copying his behavior with her classmates at school. While in some cases this may be true I don't agree with always painting the bully as someone we should feel sorry for.
Marcia
Aug 14, 2011 Marcia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: grades 1-4
"Bullies Everywhere are Now Stopped (B.E.A.N.S.)" The jellybeans are symbolic, and maybe the gimmick would help kids remember what to do if they encounter a bully.
This book offers explicit ways to stand up to bullies and to not be a bystander and shows why some bullies act the way they do. It would be a good addition to an anti-bullying curriculum, and as a springboard for student conversation.
Amanda
Awesome children's book! I bought this one for my (future) classroom. There is also a workbook that goes along with the book. (you have to buy it separately) It has so many awesome activities that can be copied and used over and over.

To make it even better, Julia Cook came and spoke to one of classes; she is extremely passionate about what she does and is in it to make a difference.
Melanie
An educational-use book about bullying. The story touches on where bullying comes from (older brother bullies little sister; sister bullies at school). Great idea on how to have a conversation about bullying and how to solve the problem.

Not a storytime read-aloud book.
Mary Troyer
This book was read to my first graders this year. It is about standing up against bullying, so I would use this as a read aloud.
Rachel B
Wonderful book to use in an elementary classroom to talk to kids about bullying. Added bonus: Jellybeans for all!
Mrs Royle
Very cool way to teach kids about standing up to a bully
c. genre
T
T marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Mznia Auguste
Mznia Auguste marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Joyce Hartford wood
Joyce Hartford wood marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Rita Calixto-Jarvis
Rita Calixto-Jarvis marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Andi Trautman
Andi Trautman marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2013
Beka
Beka marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Amanda
Amanda added it
Sep 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
My Mouth Is a Volcano! A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue: Helping Kids Learn the Difference Between Tattling and Telling I Just Don't Like the Sound of No! My Story About Accepting No for an Answer and Disagreeing the Right Way! (Best Me I Can Be) Personal Space Camp: Teaching Children the Concepts of Personal Space It's Hard to Be a Verb!