Start by marking “Bully B.E.A.N.S.” as Want to Read:
Bully B.E.A.N.S.

Bully B.E.A.N.S.

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The latest story from hit author Julia Cook, Bully B.E.A.N.S. is a fun story that teaches people of all ages to become proactive when it comes to bullying. This book can help children and adults understand why bullying happens and what they can do to stop it. Finally, a bullying book that speaks to the bystander!
Published April 1st 2009 by National Center for Youth Issues (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Bully B.E.A.N.S., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bully B.E.A.N.S.

Stephanie T.
Apr 07, 2013 Stephanie T. rated it it was amazing
Bully B.E.A.N.S. is a story about Bobbette the bully who constantly threatens the students at her school. It is not until one student goes home to tell her mother about Bobbette that the mother gives her "bully beans" that if she and her classmates eat, they be able to stand up against Bobbette. What I enjoyed most about this book is the idea concept of helping others who are bullied. This book will give students the ability to know what to do as a bystander or someone in the vicinity of bullyin ...more
Jasmine
Sep 30, 2015 Jasmine rated it really liked it
Bully B.E.A.N.S. is an excellent book about bullying. I actually purchased this book after I read it in the library. The pictures in the book shows expressions of students during bullying and getting bullies. The book does a good explanation of why students bully and how to deal with it. I will be reading this book to my class. I highly recommend this book.
Oct 10, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Used in my bullying lesson with K-2. My first grade class yesterday LOVED it. Julia Cook breaks down some basic strategies for standing up to bullies that work well for younger students.
Jeanine
Apr 09, 2012 Jeanine rated it really liked it
Shelves: text-set
Bobbette is the bully in her school. She orders her classmates to obey her commands or else she threatens to turn them into human pretzels. One student goes home and tells her mom about the bully. Her mother gives her bully beans that she and her classmates should eat and then come together and face Bobbette and tell her to back off and stop bullying. B.E.A.N.S. stands for Bullies Everywhere are Now Stopped. This book can teach students to come together and stand up to bullies. It helps to answe ...more
Brandi
Nov 21, 2011 Brandi rated it really liked it
Another great book from Julia. I will absolutely be using this one in my classes. One issue I have with this and most books about bullying is that too often the bully is also portrayed as a victim. In Bully B.E.A.N.S. the bully is being treated badly at home by her brother and she is copying his behavior with her classmates at school. While in some cases this may be true I don't agree with always painting the bully as someone we should feel sorry for.
Marcia
Aug 14, 2011 Marcia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: grades 1-4
"Bullies Everywhere are Now Stopped (B.E.A.N.S.)" The jellybeans are symbolic, and maybe the gimmick would help kids remember what to do if they encounter a bully.
This book offers explicit ways to stand up to bullies and to not be a bystander and shows why some bullies act the way they do. It would be a good addition to an anti-bullying curriculum, and as a springboard for student conversation.
Amanda
Dec 03, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
Awesome children's book! I bought this one for my (future) classroom. There is also a workbook that goes along with the book. (you have to buy it separately) It has so many awesome activities that can be copied and used over and over.

To make it even better, Julia Cook came and spoke to one of classes; she is extremely passionate about what she does and is in it to make a difference.
Melanie
An educational-use book about bullying. The story touches on where bullying comes from (older brother bullies little sister; sister bullies at school). Great idea on how to have a conversation about bullying and how to solve the problem.

Not a storytime read-aloud book.
Mary Troyer
This book was read to my first graders this year. It is about standing up against bullying, so I would use this as a read aloud.
Rachel B
Wonderful book to use in an elementary classroom to talk to kids about bullying. Added bonus: Jellybeans for all!
Mrs Royle
Sep 29, 2010 Mrs Royle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 40-books
Very cool way to teach kids about standing up to a bully
c. genre
Lisa Searight
Lisa Searight marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Pierre Hennes
Pierre Hennes rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Carrie
Carrie added it
May 25, 2016
Maggie Burgess
Maggie Burgess rated it liked it
May 11, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Kaila
Kaila rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Cathy Liebenau
Cathy Liebenau marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Pokie Dot
Pokie Dot marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Marybeth LeFevre
Marybeth LeFevre rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Linley Mccomb
Linley Mccomb rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016