Start by marking “Powers, Weakness, and the Tabernacling of God” as Want to Read:
Powers, Weakness, and the Tabernacling of God

Powers, Weakness, and the Tabernacling of God

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Armed with solid biblical research and extensive experience, respected theologian Marva Dawn examines the uncharted challenges awaiting the church in the new millennium.
Published March 19th 2001 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Powers, Weakness, and the Tabernacling of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Powers, Weakness, and the Tabernacling of God

Jeremy Garber
How can we think about the role of the church in a system where institutions follow an agenda that is all too often both dehumanizing and unchristian? Theologian Marva Dawn provides a helpful supplement – but not a standalone replacement – to the work of such “powers theologians” as Jacques Ellul, John Howard Yoder, and Walter Wink. Dawn provides a close heavy reading of the Biblical idea of powers and principalities, suggesting both they exist both as sociological institutions and as spiritual ...more
Garland Vance
Let me begin with a qualification: I absolutely love Marva Dawn's writing and her prophetic voice to the church. Every time that I read her, I am constantly challenged--even when I disagree with her conclusions or methodology. I believe that she should be read by many Christians, not just pastors, as she challenges the status quo of American Christianity.

That being said, this was not my favorite book of hers. She quote Jacques Ellul and Hugh Mackay so much that I found myself wondering why I was
Shannonpresler
This book knocks the wind out of me. It challenges the farthest reaches of the mind and the deepest yearnings of the soul. Of all the books on 'weakness' this is the best 'theological' one I have read thus far. Marva talks about 'the principalities and powers', what they are, what others have said them to be, and then shows how it is in our weakness that God dwells with us. The evil powers are dismantled, not by direct aggressive attack, but through love, weakness etc.
Casey
God works through weakness. We know this. So why does the Western church operate as if the opposite were true?

Oh, Marva Dawn. Her content is always excellent, but there's something about her writing style-- it seems rather repetitive and unorganized. I'm not sure if she needs a better editor, or if it's a me-thing. This book had fabulous concepts, but it took me more than four years to finish reading it. Maybe me and Marva just aren't meant to be.
Davidsmith05
An excellent read: this book is a powerful, accessible and sophisticated call to the church to reconcieve its identity and the nature of its mission. One has to look hard for American Christian writing that bridges the study of theology and the Scriptures with thoughtful reflection on Christian social praxis. Marva Dawn's work consistently does this.
Gregg Koskela
In the top ten of the books that have most impacted my life.
Kyle
Nobody wants to be a 'sheep'... to be pathetic and meek, but to forsake this calling is to forsake the tabernacling of God. To be a church of the powerful and people employing the ways of 'wolves', even in Christ's name, is to forsake Him completely.
Libby
Having met the author herself years ago, her theological words are stronger because I observed how she lived with weaknesses. A message I need to be reminded of constantly - that God chooses to work in weakness.
J
Heavy theology and a lot of unusual vocab.
But if you like that sort of thing, Dawn puts of a lot of my internal theological/church culture struggle into words, which is such a relief.
Tom Devries
A really outstanding look at the Biblical issue of "the Powers." I particularly loved her use of Jacques Ellul, who is one of my favorite authors. Stimulating and provocative!
Karen
Strong biblical scholarship and provocative, dept interpretation. One of the best treatments of Ephesians 6 I've found.
Ruthie
life changing
Johnny Mettlach
Johnny Mettlach marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Lauren Miller
Lauren Miller marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey added it
Nov 11, 2014
Annie Laing
Annie Laing is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2014
Daniel Christie
Daniel Christie marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
brokentapedeck
brokentapedeck marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Amber Haines
Amber Haines is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2014
Ashleigh
Ashleigh marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Marva J. Dawn is an American Christian theologian, author, musician and educator, associated with the parachurch organization "Christians Equipped for Ministry" in Vancouver, Washington. She also serves as Teaching Fellow in Spiritual Theology at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia. Dawn is generally perceived as a Lutheran evangelical.
More about Marva J. Dawn...
Keeping the Sabbath Wholly: Ceasing, Resting, Embracing, Feasting Reaching Out Without Dumbing Down: A Theology of Worship for This Urgent Time A Royal Waste of Time The Unnecessary Pastor: Rediscovering the Call Truly the Community: Romans 12 and How to Be the Church