Start by marking “Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Sock Book: History*Technique*Design” as Want to Read:
Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Sock Book: History*Technique*Design

Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Sock Book: History*Technique*Design

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The editors at Vogue Knitting, the most trusted name in the craft, have done it again, creating the most comprehensive guide available to sock knitters! No other book has both information for designing your own socks and such fabulous, never-before-published designer patterns. It includes background on the social and historical development of sock knitting (complete with h ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Sixth&Spring Books

To ask other readers questions about Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Sock Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Sock Book

Alana
Clearly I didn't consider my knitting books to be "books" when I added all of my other books to Goodreads...
Mom and I struck a bargain with this book... She would buy it for me as a gift and I would knit her stocks from it. I've kind of fulfilled that bargain. I knit her a very basic pair of socks, but my goal is to make those great Scandinavian socks that you see on the cover. The only issue is that I'm not so adept with intarsia yet... and socks suck because they seem to take me forever.
Regard
Mary
Some nice socks. But there are others I want to make that are on ravelry.
Tina
Anyone who's interested in or loves to knit socks would love this book. All the patterns included are new, by well-known designers. There are clear and concise directions on how to knit socks for beginners, as well as tips that experienced knitters will appreciate. One of the coolest parts is the chapter on how to design your own socks, which explains the measurements you need and gives you a sock calculator and universal patterns for top-down and toe-up socks, so that you know exactly how to us ...more
dawn
Jul 30, 2008 dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: elizabeth
Shelves: knit
This is a great sock book. It details magic loop, 2 ciculars, and dpns. There are some great, complex patterns, but my favorite is the simple sock fomula. it gives you numbers for different weight yarns and different sizes. You can add any stitch pattern, and many are provided.

This book has a complete sock knitting history, which i haven't seen anywhere else. it makes for great reading.

I give it 4 stars instead of 5 because there have been many reports of errors. I recommend looking up your choo
Lil' Grogan
But not really. I'm tired of all these "ultimate" billings on books which provide vague information. Vague history with a lack of pictures showing the socks being discussed. Vague guide to "designing" your own socks. Cookie A gives a much better guide for the latter in Sock Innovation.

Some nice socks though none particularly interesting to me.
Nancy
Good background. I won't do anything out of this book until I'm better at socks. I'm still on my first sock (which looks like a sock -- I was amazed). Once I get good at doing them on circulars, I'll tackle this book because it's written for double points. I'll never use double points ever again. How anyone tolerates double points is beyond me. The only thing double points are good for is toothpicks and emergency cable needles.
Theresa
All about socks from technique to stitch patterns to history. Includes a whole chapter on stitch patterns as well as patterns. The pattern chapter begins by listing the patterns and whether they are toe up or top down and what kind of needles is used.

Very pretty patterns and all charted instructions are also written.
Shannon
Essentially anything and everything anyone would want to know about sock knitting is in this book. It is detailed and all-encompassing. Some of the sock patterns are ugly, but most are beautiful. The great thing about this book is that it can help in designing my own socks.
Amberjean
Eh. Accurate, fairly comprehensive, has useful charts and modular basic patterns. I think "ultimate" might be a bit of an overstatement. I recognized several of the designs from other sources. Might be a good book for a beginner sock knitter, but not really useful for me.
Laura Jean
Apr 10, 2008 Laura Jean rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sock knitters and anyone interested in learning to knit them
This is a really terrific book. I borrowed it from my local library and I've decided I must own this book.Of course, since I've blown my knitting budget for the month, I'll have to wait awhile, but I want to knit two thirds of the patterns in here.
Tina
Had an interesting history of sock knitting and some beautiful pictures of handmade socks. I haven't made any of the patterns so I can't comment on those.
Christina
a. Notice, Burnsides, how I put this book on my exclusive "reference" shelf and not the "read" one. :)

b. Pretty pictures, but errors in the patterns. Meh.
Joyce
Terrific tutorials and sizing charts. Lots of patterns... A book to buy once this one goes back to the library!
Barb
I am a sock knitting fanatic. I love this book. Interesting patterns, makes my fingers itch to get knitting.
Beth
As well as a basic how-to, this has some sample patterns, and some historical sock examples.
Jill Kandel
If you want to knit socks, this is a great book. Clear and concise and fun.
Sue
Love this book! A beautiful reference for anyone interested in knitting socks.
mari
I am loving this book.
So many great ideas to use my sock yarn with. :)
I might have to buy this if I get into sock knitting.
Kerry
For those of us with a sock "fetish" this book is awesome.
Heywu
Nice sock worksheet form, good reference book
An interesting book with some lovely patterns.
Nette
this book has wonderful patterns
Laura Thomas
Laura Thomas marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Kristin Zueger
Kristin Zueger marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • Shawls and Scarves: The Best of Knitter's Magazine
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Knitting Around
  • The Knitting Experience Book 1: The Knit Stitch, Inspiration & Instruction
  • Knit. Sock. Love.
  • Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!
  • Socks Socks Socks: 70 Winning Patterns From Knitter's Magazine Sock Contest
Vogue Knitting is SoHo Publishing's flagship title. Launched over twenty-five years ago, VK has set the bar for knitting, working with the biggest and most talented names in fashion today, including Michael Kors and Anna Sui. Led by Editor Trisha Malcolm, VK is published quarterly.
More about Vogue Knitting...
Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book The Vogue® Knitting Stitchionary Volume Two: Cables: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue® Knitting Magazine Vogue Sewing: Revised and Updated The Vogue® Knitting Stitchionary Volume Three: Color Knitting: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue® Knitting Magazine The Best of Vogue® Knitting Magazine: 25 Years of Articles, Techniques, and Expert Advice