Start by marking “Silent Echoes” as Want to Read:
Silent Echoes

Silent Echoes

What happens to a teenage girl who starts hearing voices? The answer is vastly different for two girls living in two different eras.

When a “spirit” contacts Lucy Phillips at a séance in nineteenth-century Manhattan, Lucy quickly gains fame as a talented medium who can impart knowledge about the future to wealthy socialites. Lucy is grateful to this “spirit,” who communica

Published February 1st 2007 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Silent Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Echoes

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for TeensReadToo.com

It's 1882, and Lucy Phillips and her father are running scams to keep a roof over their heads. Tonight is their first attempt at a séance, with Lucy playing the medium. If it goes well, this could turn into a regular and profitable enterprise for them. Planning only to play her audience with already acquired information, Lucy is shocked to hear a voice that no one else can hear. Maybe she really has contacted the dead!

In the present time, Lindsay
Cindy Dyson Eitelman
Apr 26, 2015 Cindy Dyson Eitelman rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-14
It started off good--maybe even really good. And the plot thickened...thickened? Did I say that?

No, I lie. I wanted it to thicken but in reality it thinned down to a trickle, and ended. What a waste of an excellent idea! Girl from the present and girl from the past with a psychic connection neither truly believes. What happens to you if you hear voices in (a) 1898 or in (b) 1998? Let's just say people were a little more open to that kind of thing back then.

Wish I'd liked it.
Elle
Jan 01, 2012 Elle rated it it was amazing
This was an absolutely wonderful book--so good that I could not put it down! The idea--the basic plot of the story--is creative and interesting all at once, and the way that Jablonski crafts the story is pure genius! I love the entire concept of two girls of the same age in different centuries facing different things, but, in the end, coming together and giving the readers a great feeling of satisfaction and hopefulness at the end of the story. This definitely has become one of my favorite books ...more
J.Elle
Jan 04, 2008 J.Elle rated it did not like it
Sort of trite and predictable. Alot of young adult fiction is this way and since I like to read YA fiction, I suppose I should be used to it by now, but I still feel dismayed. This is about two sixteen year old girls who can hear each other and speak to each other even though they are living in different decades.
Sheri
Nov 04, 2008 Sheri rated it it was ok
Hard to get into. Boring. Depressing.
Kali-Jo Bentz
Nov 02, 2015 Kali-Jo Bentz rated it it was amazing
Silent Echoes Review:
Time changes, panorama activity and real life scenarios all in one book. Silent Echoes by Carla Jablonski was, in my opinion, a five star book. Her book is definitely a must read because she does such a great job on intertwining two girls stories into one.

Carla Jablonski uses italics a lot to emphasize certain things in the story, but it’s not overdone. One of my favorite places in the book that she used italics in when she has one of the girls talking to the other, but you
Imesic7
Jan 07, 2015 Imesic7 rated it really liked it
Stacey B.
Jan 05, 2011 Stacey B. rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, reviewed, read-2011
OVERALL IMPRESSION: I loved this book. It was so much fun to read. I loved the way the author wove the two stories together and that we got to see the story from two different sides. It was really interesting to be able to compare the life that I am more familiar with to the life from back in the nineteenth century. The ending of the book made me really happy too. I don't want to give anything away, but I'm glad it ended the way it did.

COVER: I'd give the cover a 3/5. I'm not sure who the girl o
Taylor
Jul 20, 2015 Taylor rated it really liked it
Tenara
May 09, 2008 Tenara rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: teenage girls.
This was a very predictable book. It was like reading something coated in sugar and complex sentences...all very predictable and very Young Adult type of novel. Lucy Phillips, a girl living in the nineteenth century, is posing as a medium when she actually begins hearing a voice. Lindsay Miller, a girl living in present day New York hears Lucy's voice from across the years. Lindsay, of course, being in the age where hearing voices ISN'T a good sign, assumes she's schizophrenic, and the story unr ...more
M.G.
Jun 06, 2011 M.G. rated it it was ok
I liked it at first. After more than half-way through, it started getting preachy about women and working condtions in the late 1800;s. If I wanted that, I would have got a non-fiction book on the subject, not a fiction book for entertainment. Some historical detail is good, but not that much.
Kristina
May 23, 2009 Kristina rated it liked it
This one has a very different sort of plot, but there were places when it would just be kind of dull.. It wasn't one of those books that you constantly must read and can't put down. But it was still alright.
Stephanie A.
Jul 19, 2012 Stephanie A. rated it really liked it
This split its time between 1882 and 2006 New York, alternating chapters between two girls who can mysteriously hear one another's voices when they're in the same building. The ending was thrilling, but the whole thing was suspenseful, intriguing, and an utter joy to read.
Kristen
Sep 22, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
This was a surpassingly good book! It surprised me actually. I didn't think it was going to be that interesting but I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Victoria
Apr 12, 2009 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Renee Lewis, Lindsey
Recommended to Victoria by: Me
This book is awesome! I love it! Very true about this time of period, makes me sad that it's like that. Loved it!
Christina
Oct 18, 2008 Christina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Girls
Recommended to Christina by: Myself
Jayne
Jul 27, 2011 Jayne added it
Easy reading with general appeal for female readers of all ages. I guess its a kind of coming of age story.
Phaedra
Jun 24, 2011 Phaedra rated it really liked it
This book had a great story line. The characters really developed. One thing that bothered me was that it took so long for them to mature, especially Lucy!
Riley
Dec 09, 2009 Riley rated it really liked it
Weird. But good. I was intrigued by Silent Echoes and found that it was pretty good, but a little dull at a few junctions, overall very nice.
Laura Shank
Laura Shank rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2012
Mirandahannah
Mirandahannah rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2008
Canderka
Canderka rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Morgan
Morgan rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Chauncey Turley
Chauncey Turley rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2010
Kpp
Kpp rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Marissa Manning
Marissa Manning rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Windy
Windy rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2010
Michelle Rebar
Michelle Rebar rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2008
Laura (LauraZReads)
Laura (LauraZReads) rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Maude Reed Tale
  • Dragonfrigate Wizard Halcyon Blithe (Halcyon Blithe, #2)
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • Treasure Lost
  • Sophie Pitt-Turnbull Discovers America
  • A Romanov Fantasy: Life at the Court of Anna Anderson
  • Pictures of the Night (Egerton Hall, #3)
  • Feud (Lady Grace Mysteries, #6)
  • Earthly Pleasures
  • Snow White and Rose Red: The Curse of the Huntsman
  • Fearless
  • Backstage Pass
  • Likely Story (Likely Story, #1)
  • Secret Admirer
  • A Face First
  • The Upper Class (Upper Class, #1)
  • Lindsey Lost
  • Platinum (Golden, #2)
Carla Jablonski is the author and editor of dozens of best-selling books for teenage and middle-grade readers. She grew up in New York City, where she attended public schools and the Bronx High School of Science. She has a BA in anthropology from Vassar College and an MA from NYU's Gallatin School, an interdisciplinary program for which she combined playwriting, the history of gender issues in 19t ...more
More about Carla Jablonski...