Start by marking “Silent Echoes” as Want to Read:
Silent Echoes

Silent Echoes

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  22 reviews
What happens to a teenage girl who starts hearing voices? The answer is vastly different for two girls living in two different eras.

When a “spirit” contacts Lucy Phillips at a séance in nineteenth-century Manhattan, Lucy quickly gains fame as a talented medium who can impart knowledge about the future to wealthy socialites. Lucy is grateful to this “spirit,” who communica

Published February 1st 2007 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Silent Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Echoes

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for TeensReadToo.com

It's 1882, and Lucy Phillips and her father are running scams to keep a roof over their heads. Tonight is their first attempt at a séance, with Lucy playing the medium. If it goes well, this could turn into a regular and profitable enterprise for them. Planning only to play her audience with already acquired information, Lucy is shocked to hear a voice that no one else can hear. Maybe she really has contacted the dead!

In the present time, Lindsay...more
Cindy Dyson Eitelman
It started off good--maybe even really good. And the plot thickened...thickened? Did I say that?

No, I lie. I wanted it to thicken but in reality it thinned down to a trickle, and ended. What a waste of an excellent idea! Girl from the present and girl from the past with a psychic connection neither truly believes. What happens to you if you hear voices in (a) 1898 or in (b) 1998? Let's just say people were a little more open to that kind of thing back then.

Wish I'd liked it.
Elle
This was an absolutely wonderful book--so good that I could not put it down! The idea--the basic plot of the story--is creative and interesting all at once, and the way that Jablonski crafts the story is pure genius! I love the entire concept of two girls of the same age in different centuries facing different things, but, in the end, coming together and giving the readers a great feeling of satisfaction and hopefulness at the end of the story. This definitely has become one of my favorite books...more
J.Elle
Sort of trite and predictable. Alot of young adult fiction is this way and since I like to read YA fiction, I suppose I should be used to it by now, but I still feel dismayed. This is about two sixteen year old girls who can hear each other and speak to each other even though they are living in different decades.
Sheri
Hard to get into. Boring. Depressing.
Stacey B.
OVERALL IMPRESSION: I loved this book. It was so much fun to read. I loved the way the author wove the two stories together and that we got to see the story from two different sides. It was really interesting to be able to compare the life that I am more familiar with to the life from back in the nineteenth century. The ending of the book made me really happy too. I don't want to give anything away, but I'm glad it ended the way it did.

COVER: I'd give the cover a 3/5. I'm not sure who the girl o...more
Tenara
May 09, 2008 Tenara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenage girls.
This was a very predictable book. It was like reading something coated in sugar and complex sentences...all very predictable and very Young Adult type of novel. Lucy Phillips, a girl living in the nineteenth century, is posing as a medium when she actually begins hearing a voice. Lindsay Miller, a girl living in present day New York hears Lucy's voice from across the years. Lindsay, of course, being in the age where hearing voices ISN'T a good sign, assumes she's schizophrenic, and the story unr...more
M.G.
I liked it at first. After more than half-way through, it started getting preachy about women and working condtions in the late 1800;s. If I wanted that, I would have got a non-fiction book on the subject, not a fiction book for entertainment. Some historical detail is good, but not that much.
Stephanie A.
This split its time between 1882 and 2006 New York, alternating chapters between two girls who can mysteriously hear one another's voices when they're in the same building. The ending was thrilling, but the whole thing was suspenseful, intriguing, and an utter joy to read.
Kristina
This one has a very different sort of plot, but there were places when it would just be kind of dull.. It wasn't one of those books that you constantly must read and can't put down. But it was still alright.
Christina
Oct 18, 2008 Christina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls
Recommended to Christina by: Myself
Phaedra
This book had a great story line. The characters really developed. One thing that bothered me was that it took so long for them to mature, especially Lucy!
Kristen
This was a surpassingly good book! It surprised me actually. I didn't think it was going to be that interesting but I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Riley
Weird. But good. I was intrigued by Silent Echoes and found that it was pretty good, but a little dull at a few junctions, overall very nice.
Victoria
Apr 12, 2009 Victoria rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Renee Lewis, Lindsey
Recommended to Victoria by: Me
This book is awesome! I love it! Very true about this time of period, makes me sad that it's like that. Loved it!
Jayne
Jul 27, 2011 Jayne added it
Easy reading with general appeal for female readers of all ages. I guess its a kind of coming of age story.
Trisha
I actually really liked this book. It wasn't over imaginative but it was fun.
Heidi
It was a pretty good book, but I found the ending somewhat weak.
Teresa Gardner
I really enjoyed this book. It ties the pass to the present.
Raven
it was really different... not ssomething i particularlly liked...
Anne
fascinating. pretty awesome plot line.
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Ann Rees
Ann Rees marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Raul Nava
Raul Nava marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Ami_Ven
Ami_Ven marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Carla Jablonski is the author and editor of dozens of best-selling books for teenage and middle-grade readers. She grew up in New York City, where she attended public schools and the Bronx High School of Science. She has a BA in anthropology from Vassar College and an MA from NYU's Gallatin School, an interdisciplinary program for which she combined playwriting, the history of gender issues in 19t...more
More about Carla Jablonski...
The Travelers (Pendragon: Before the War, #1) Resistance (Resistance, #1) The Gypsy Enchantment (Charmed, #7) Shadow of the Sphinx (Charmed, #16) The Invitation (The Books of Magic, #1)