Start by marking “Star Trek: Nero” as Want to Read:
Star Trek: Nero

Star Trek: Nero (Star Trek Graphic Novels)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  184 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
From Star Trek 2009 feature film writer/producers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, and artist David Messina, comes an all-new story set within the events of the hit film! Not an adaptation, this exclusive story follows the villainous Nero as he seeks to destroy the Federation.
Published February 1st 2010 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek

Star Trek by Kevin J. AndersonEnemy Unseen by Keith R.A. DeCandidoStar Trek by Scott TiptonStar Trek by Ty TempletonStar Trek Vol. 1 by Mike Johnson
Humble Star Trek Bundle
7th out of 18 books — 2 voters
Moon 514 by Drew BrineyUntamed by Madeline DyerThe One by J.K. AccinniAlien Species Intervention by J.K. AccinniEvil Among Us by J.K. Accinni
Young Adult Sci-Fi
108th out of 137 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike
Jun 20, 2016 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
This continues from Star Trek Countdown and serves as another prequel to the 2009 movie. On its own I didn't like this quite as much as Countdown but it was still worth it to learn more about Nero and the events that lead up to the movie. This one focuses on what happened to Nero after he went through the black hole and what he did for 25 years right up to where the movie starts off.

Both of these books together provide a legitimate explanation of exactly why Nero blames the Federation and Spock
May
Um, apparently I think I maybe one of the few Star Trek fans who didn't wonder what Nero was doing for 25 years when he had to wait for Spock to appear in the alternative universe. Somehow I was under the impression that the Romulan ship got trapped in the vortex and stayed frozen for all that time until the opportune time for the reunion with Spock presented itself. So imagine my surprise when the graphic novel points out that Nero was held in prison by the Klingons. What?! Okay, sets up some r ...more
Rae
Mar 14, 2011 Rae rated it liked it
Shelves: tie-in, time-travel
While I didn't like this one quite as much as "Spock Reflections," I still think that it is an essential read for anyone that liked the newest Star Trek movie. This book takes place between "Countdown" and the events in the movie, and give a lot more insight into the evolution of Nero's character that wasn't touched on in the film. (And how he was missing half of an ear, yikes!)

Once again, the artists that were behind this are absolutely multi-directional hatching EXPERTS, beautifully utilizing
Thomas
I wanted to see some more of Nero's backstory, but between Countdown and this I got more than I wanted. In particular the sequence where (view spoiler) The art is decent, the story is okay, but just didn't engage me as much as I had hoped. Probably won't read again.
Jeff Lanter
Apr 29, 2012 Jeff Lanter rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
In reading the reviews of the Star Trek tie-ins, many people seem to believe this is the least necessary of the three, but I disagree. There are many revelations that tie into the movie in this volume including why Spock is where he is in the movie and why Nero becomes so set in his views. Learning these details were just as rewarding as the ones in Countdown for me. There is a moment early on where some of Nero's crew more or less dissents and I wish that would been moved to a later part, becau ...more
Rachel Evans
Jan 24, 2016 Rachel Evans rated it it was amazing
This was a really interesting look at what happened to Nero during those 25 years in the time warp that he was waiting for Spock to come through the worm hole as well. I would recommend reading this BEFORE reading the novel adaptation of the movie, rather than after. Really good and you better understand Nero's anger and hate, as well as his extreme dedication to vengeance.
Ed
Jul 26, 2016 Ed rated it liked it
While this is the least of the three Star Trek 2009 prequel comics, it's still pretty good. Art is probably the best of the three, but it's still not all that stylish. There's some nice space scenes though.
Steven Shinder
Jul 08, 2016 Steven Shinder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually wish that this one were longer. Wanted to see a bit more of what happened during the prison years. Love how this tied into Star Trek Into Brightness though.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 09, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it
Now this is what I would have wanted to see in the 2009 Star Trek movie. A solid background story for the villain to make him more understandable and whole as a character. Eric Bana would have had a field day with a story that gets under Nero’s skin and reveals his tragedy to the reader.

This is dramatic but smart storytelling at its best, handling themes of loss and the drive for retribution boldly and with emotional charge. After reading this the movie feels so much better. Trek has by custom r
Joana Lima
some insight into the years Nero waited for Spock, just before the first movie of the new rebooted star trek universe.
Aubrey Hansen
Jul 14, 2013 Aubrey Hansen rated it it was amazing
In the movie, Nero came through the black hole 25 years ahead of Spock. What did he do all that time, and how did he come to predict when and where Spock would arrive? This movie answers all that and ties in several other references from the movie. The sentient ship thing from issue 3 is a little weird, but otherwise it's quite good. Spock's perspective towards the end is priceless. Some bloody fighting and a bit of drug use. Recommended reading for fans of the film.
Nicolas
This was excellent. This volume along with Star Trek: Countdown contains vital background information to the Star Trek reboot. Whereas Countdown provided background for Spock and Nero in the Next Generation era, this focused on Nero's activities in between his first appearance and his attack on Vulcan 25 years later. You should definitely read Countdown before seeing the movie, but I wouldn't read Star Trek: Nero until after you've seen it.
Tina
Jul 28, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
Out of all the Trek Alternate Universe graphic novels I've read so far, this one was surprisingly the best. Plot wise, but most importantly, in the art. I'm always extremely disappointed in the art but this time I found myself stopping to admire it rather than hoping to skip past it quickly. Since this was the one book I was least expecting to enjoy, it was a very nice surprise!
Dovile
May 09, 2013 Dovile rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist, keepers
A much better and different in style comic than Star Trek: Countdown. I really recommend this, as it adds more backstory to the movie and character if Nero. Great drawing style (a bit too thick lines, but very accurate faces) with a very cinematic feel, only darker than the movie.

Notice a goof near the end - somebody doesn't know the color of Vulcan blood:)
Daniel Kukwa
Jul 23, 2013 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it
In filling in Nero's background, and his route to hatred and self-destruction, this is first rate work. It's also very much superior to the film, where we get virtually none of this through the character presented...unless it's hiding somewhere behind JJ Abrams' lens flares. The surprise visit to a parallel V'Ger is the highlight of this story.
Brent
Jun 09, 2013 Brent rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Definite read for the fans of the 2009 Star Trek fans. Answers major plot questions, such as why Nero just didn't go back to Romulus and say hey our star is going to blow up and why his mining ship is so insanely powerful. It's nicely written and fits in nicely with the film.
Michael Hanscom
Nice "fill in the blanks" story explaining just what Nero was up to during the 25 years between his arrival in the new Trek universe and his encounter with Kirk and the gang. Includes some fun homages to the pre-existing Trek universe as well.
Joel
Dec 27, 2014 Joel rated it really liked it
Some additional insights into Nero's motivations. For example, why didn't he go back to Romulus when sent back in time? Also some additional info on his time at Rura Penthe.
Ogreart Art
The prequel to the movie was okay. It didn't really add a lot to the story, in my opinion. Some of it seemed to be a big reach.
John Yelverton
May 18, 2012 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
This book will completely change the way that you watch the movie, and make you feel more comfortable with the changes.
David
Apr 27, 2013 David rated it it was ok
While it filled in some story gaps, the writing and plot were all over the place. Glad I got it from the library.
Eric Mallory
Apr 25, 2013 Eric Mallory rated it it was ok
Well, it's Star Trek. So, that's cool. Huge discontinuity between some panels. Glad I got it for free at the HPL!
Evamaria
Mar 16, 2010 Evamaria rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Filling in some blanks pre-movie - I like getting more of Nero's motivation.
jonathan
May 24, 2010 jonathan rated it liked it
not as interesting as countdown, but still enjoyable.
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2016
uNdimka
uNdimka rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Tim
Tim is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2016
Julie Soden
Julie Soden rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Katarzyna
Katarzyna marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
  • Marvel's Iron Man 3 The Movie Prelude
  • Klingon: Star Trek
  • Vulcan's Forge
  • Star Trek: Generations
  • Preserver (Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Trilogy, #3)
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul - Death Sentence
  • Turnaround (Star Trek: New Frontier #16.5)
  • Spike: Shadow Puppets
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation - Technical Manual
  • Star Trek Insurrection (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Serpents Among the Ruins (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2311)
  • Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2)

Star Trek Graphic Novels (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Countdown
  • Countdown to Darkness
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 1
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 2
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 3
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 4
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 5
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 6: After Darkness
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation - Intelligence Gathering (Star Trek Next Generation (Unnumbered))
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who: Assimilation2, Volume 1