Start by marking “The Bride Collector” as Want to Read:
The Bride Collector

The Bride Collector

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  8,507 Ratings  ·  942 Reviews
A string of exquisite young women have been murdered by a single individual who leaves his signature with each body: a pristine bridal veil. FBI agent Brad Raines must turn to a most unusual source for help.
Published 2010 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published April 13th 2009)

Tagged by Joseph M. ChironCompulsion by J.J.   JohnsonThe Master's Plan by Stephany TullisThree by Ted DekkerHouse by Frank E. Peretti
Edgy Christian Book List
21st out of 342 books — 356 voters
Purgatorio by Geoffrey  WoodDeadly Pursuit by Irene HannonBurning Hearts by Nike N. ChillemiThe Negotiator by Dee HendersonSister Eve and the Blue Nun by Lynne Hinton
Christian Crime Fiction
16th out of 97 books — 154 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 18, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it
This was my first Ted Dekker book and after immersing myself in Mr. Dekker's prose for the last week, I feel like Augustus Gloop might have felt after drinking Willy Wonka's chocolate river - - satiated and happy to have done it, despite the messiness.

The Bride Collector is the type of genre book I have always been drawn to, a mystery/thriller. I don't mind if I solve the mysteries/thrillers before the end (provided that if the clues are obvious the hero or heroine figures it out as well). What
Suspense Magazine
Apr 15, 2010 Suspense Magazine rated it really liked it
Ted Dekker delivers another thrilling ride in his latest book “The Bride Collector”. From the beginning of the book to the end, you get taken on an emotional roller coaster. Dekker has many characters in the book and does an incredible job of giving all of them life outside the book.

FBI Agent Brad Raines is in search of a killer that is leaving no clues, just a path of terrifying killings that will hit very close to home for Raines. Raines has to take unconventional steps to search out this kill
May 12, 2010 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
I see that I'm in the minority, but I have to say I didn't find this thriller very thrilling. It was extremely slow going until about the halfway point and then only picked up slightly. I'm not sure why I finished the book other than it has to be really, really bad before I quit. I put the book down for over a week before trying to chug through to the end.

Nothing rang true in this book. I mildly liked Brad Raines and even more mildly liked Paradise, but overall, I didn't feel any emotion, caring
Aug 08, 2010 Ace rated it liked it
What makes a good Thriller/Mystery books? It has to have:

1. A killer/s
2. The victim/s
3. FBI protagonist
4. cliff hanger endings in every chapter.
5. surprising twist/s in the story

I'm a fan of this genre, so it means I read a lot of books in this niche, and I confess that I'm already used to the plots of this kind of stories, and that made the story a cliche for me.

The story is all about Brad Raine, a FBI agent who will investigate the killings of the so called "Brides". The killer left a note tha
May 13, 2010 Ronie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In all honesty, I'd started to lose "faith" in Dekker but this book snatched it right back up. Being a psychology major, the psychological aspects intrigued me. Although I feel at times Dekker toed the line on some controversial thoughts/topics, it did not detract from the story. I got a bit nervous about the ending....but then was pleasantly surprised with the conclusion.
Apr 04, 2011 David added it
Dekker (or his editor) confused "prone" with "supine" in the first chapter of this stinker and that set the tone for the entire 400-plus-page "thriller". Cardboard characters, stilted dialogue, and improbable situations throughout.

I stuck with it only because of my belief than any book must contain something of value; in this case, I was mistaken.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Pretty awful, but I was only gonna rate 2 stars until I skimmed to the last two chapters and read them. What I learned there dropped this to a 1-star DNF.

Full Review:

Brad Raines is a blond George Clooney. He's a womanizer, a slut (because "male slut" is sexist) and has been placed on the case of the Bride Collector, a serial killer who drains women's blood before killing them. Oh, and he lusts after Nikki, his partner, because she's hot. Nikki also lusts after him too.

DNF at 82 pag
Nov 25, 2010 Chibineko rated it it was ok
I've never read a Ted Dekker book, yet I'd been told great things about him & his work. When I got the chance to review this, I figured that this would be a great chance to experience the author. I just wish that this had lived up to all of the hype.

The book follows the character of FBI agent Brad Raines, a man who is no stranger to loss. With his own dark past looming over him, he attempts to uncover the identity of a killer known only as the Bride Collector. The Bride Collector has tracked
Ana Mardoll
Mar 05, 2011 Ana Mardoll rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ana-reviewed
The Bride Collector / 978-1-599-95196-6

I picked this up at the library, and it's my first Ted Dekker novel. I understand he's quite famous, and I don't want to be overly negative, but I just really didn't enjoy this novel, and it didn't hold my interest. I really like crime dramas on television, and this novel definitely doesn't seem to fit that demographic.

There seems to be very little emphasis on either the physical hunt or the psychological chase. CODIS and AFIS are mentioned about once each,
Feb 27, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Women of the Denver area are being targeted by a killer the FBI are calling The Bride Collector. The killer leaves his victims naked except for panties and a veil. The body is glued to the wall and the blood is drained from the victims.

FBI Special Agent Brad Raines is at a dead-end in his investigation. Nikki Holden, a forensic psychologist, working with Brad is of the opinion that the killer thinks of himself as the groom and that his preparations of the body are done out of love. When the kill
Keiki Hendrix
Mar 25, 2011 Keiki Hendrix rated it it was amazing
“An eerie, engaging novel bringing to the light a unique view of those we judge as mental ill.”
Being a fan of Ted Dekker, I knew the type of novel I would be reading when I selected The Bride Collector. Dekker is one of my favorite fiction authors. For instance, I knew I would find dark suspense (often not for the squeamish), tight well-written plot and dialogue, and a focus on some component of Christianity.What I did not expect was to begin to question my perception or at least to reconsider m
Apr 30, 2011 Em rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of psychological thrillers
Shelves: abandoned, ebooks
I have given up this book halfway through - not because the book was so bad. It was okay. But I am a great psychothriller fan and to me somehow this didnot measure up. I was just skimming through pages at the end and decided to stop reading it. Someday perhaps I may resume it. The story deals with a psycho serial pattern killer who choses young beautiful women to be brides of Christ and kills them by draining away their blood. There is a detective who is on the killer's trail, his friend and for ...more
Apr 16, 2013 Katy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of suspense/thriller/serial killer
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon Vine
Shelves: vine-book
I wrote this review in June, 2012, but didn't post it here. It was a review of a book I'd read over a year previously and needed to post a review for Amazon Vine. Just copying it over.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book from Amazon Vine in exchange for a review.

Synopsis: FBI Special agent Brad Raines is facing his toughest case yet. A Denver serial killer has killed four beautiful young women, leaving a bridal veil at each crime scene, and he's picking up his pace. Unable to crack th
Rick Fisher
As a Ted Dekker fan, I have thoroughly enjoyed the last few thrillers he has written. "The Priest's Graveyard" and "The Boneman's Daughter" were great additions to his repetoire of work. This one, "The Bride Collector", is a huge disappointment.
I understand fiction gives license to authors to go way out on a limb. Sometimes, the weight is so heavy with ridiculousness, the limb breaks. That is exactly what happens here.
The beginning of this novel showed wonderful promise. I looked forward to c
Sara Diane
Sep 16, 2011 Sara Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, reviewed
Angela Risner
Jun 04, 2012 Angela Risner rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book. I love mysteries. I love me a good serial killer story.

The protagonist is attracted to his model-lookalike partner. Are you tired of that storyline yet? I am. He also has a broken heart that has yet to heal fro about 10 years ago, and of course, this means that he is hard to ensnare into a relationship. All men like this are attractive to women, because we love a challenge.

The killer is a bit more interesting. He is killing young beautiful women (of course! No ugl
Jared Della Rocca
An absolutely terrible book. It uses the "mentally ill as geniuses" formula, setting up the protagonist with four mental patients, each of whom are gifted in their own particular way. It was supposed to be a thriller, but there was nothing to keep you turning the pages, except the hope they'd ALL be killed in the end. There was no suspense to it, and though some authors can use a formula and still be good, this one just relied on formula and brought nothing new to it. Just bad writing.
Feb 25, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2012 Zylle rated it it was ok
Janie Johnson
Apr 09, 2013 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: ted-dekker

For anyone that loves the works of Ted Dekker, you will recognize the all too familiar feeling of intensity and excitement as soon as you read the first page. You know that it is gonna be a great read before you even have the chance to get going or get too far into it. This book has all the well-known twists that makes Dekker’s books so phenomenal.

What I liked most about this book was the great character development of our resident psychopath, our bad guy, who thinks he is doing God’s bidding. D
Jan 21, 2013 Katsumi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of the Bride Collector is easily an introspective book, one that digs into the mind and more or less questions everyone's view of reality. Who the sane ones are, and who in society is the insane. It mainly follows the perspective of Brad Raines, who works for the FBI and is trying to catch a very smart killer whose victim of choice is beautiful women. Things are also read from the perspective of others including the killer, whose passages shine and stand out among the rest. As the book ...more
Kylee Brock
Feb 27, 2014 Kylee Brock rated it did not like it
Three words: piece of crap! Literally so unbelievable in relationships, in coincidences, in everything. Like the plot itself sounds fantastic, then you start reading and the author is such a bore and such a cliche writer. It doesn't even deserve one star it was so bad.
Matt Garcia
Mar 11, 2014 Matt Garcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Ted Dekker novel and I must say that I enjoyed it. His secondary characters are very well fleshed out and personable. The plot was a bit cliché and I guessed the ending about 2/3 of the way through but this does not detract from the novel too much. I also did not like being told the identity of the killer very early in the story. Quinton Gauld was an excellent antagonist and his distorted view on reality and religion was a bit fascinating. The scariest part may have been that h ...more
James Glass
Jan 26, 2015 James Glass rated it really liked it
FBI special agent Brad Raines is on the hunt to capture a serial killer known as The Bride Collector. The women are placed in a wedding dress before being murdered. As Brad continues his search, he finds an unorthodox method to finding the killer. He enlists the help of several people from a mental ward. Although they are kept away from the public, Brad discovers they have a knack for solving crimes, albeit, this will be their first test at solving a real murder. Will they come through and help ...more
Aug 01, 2014 Leona rated it did not like it
I have to say the idea for it was a great plot, the characters were okay and interesting. I do like the dialogue between the people in the wellness center but beyond that I really didn't like it. I skipped a lot of pages to be honest because it bore me so I just skimmed it to get the general idea.

I think it would have been better if the main characters hadn't been so closely related in personality. At first I thought the main character WAS the killer, I figured it was a split personality, that w
Aug 17, 2014 Vann rated it it was amazing
Let me start out by saying that I did not expect to love this book. My first Ted Dekker book was "Thr3e" and all the others of his that I read paled when compared to the brilliance that was Thr3e. I thought that Ted Dekker might be a kind of "one hit wonder," but this book changed my mind. The character development, the plot development, the clear and profound message; it all was fantastic and I was blown away!

The characters in this book are flawed and therefore relatable (except for the serial
Sep 01, 2014 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a while since I read a thriller, or anything Dekker, and I assumed picking one up would help get me back into reading something besides teen fiction and manga.
The Bride Collector proved to be a poor choice. The plot follows a fairly standard serial-killer/thriller model with some unfortunate additions. Any time the novel shifted to the serial killer's POV I wanted to throw it against a wall. It also included random POVs from the main FBI agent, his partner, and a girl who struggles
Dec 08, 2014 Ginger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery/Suspense Fans
This author is pretty new to me, having only read Part 1 of his 4 part
Eyes Wide Open series. Having said that, I really enjoyed this! I should mention it wouldn't have taken me two weeks to read if life hadn't gotten in the way.

Brad Raines is a special agent with the FBI, and he enlists the help of a few patients who reside at the Wellness and Intelligence Center. The patients really were one of the highlights of the book. They were funny, sad and quite lovable. Very good mystery with a few twi
Sep 10, 2016 Quike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kitabın başında hemen katille irtibatta bulunması pek hoşuma gitmedi. Bu kadar başlarda böyle yapması gizemi biraz azaltmış. Sanki birde çok gereksiz yere konuyu bu kadar uzatmış gibi geldi bana.
Melissa A.S.
Oct 15, 2016 Melissa A.S. rated it it was ok
The Bride Collector was by no means the worst book I have read, it was unfortunately, sadly the book with the most potential which turned out to be a cheesy, sloppy mess in the end. There are twists, maybe even shocking ones, but it wasn't the edge-of-my-seat story I was expecting. Of course this can all be attributed to my uncontrollably high expectations when it comes to mystery novels. The forensic psychology factor was quite strong in the beginning, then it quickly became what I believed to ...more
What Did You Think 15 58 Apr 20, 2014 08:44PM
  • To Kill With Reason
  • Deadlock (John Hutchinson, #2)
  • The Knight (The Patrick Bowers Files, #3)
  • Never Let You Go
  • Demon: A Memoir
  • Shade
  • First the Dead
  • Waking Lazarus
  • Scream
  • Isolation
  • Illusion
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.
More about Ted Dekker...

“Unfortunately, the world has taken some of the greatest minds God has given us and locked them up in cages. Most very brilliant or creative people seem strange to ordinary people. Geniuses are almost always outcasts. The intelligent are bullied on the playground. They see the world differently and are shunned for it. They nearly all turn out to be lonely at the least, locked up at the worst. It's human nature to encourage the status quo and shun those who see life differently.” 32 likes