Start by marking “The Tomb and Other Tales” as Want to Read:
The Tomb and Other Tales

The Tomb and Other Tales

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  5,849 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
This extraordinary collection features 13 spine-tingling tales of delicious terror by the unquestioned master of the horror genre, as well as portions of stories he never fully completed. Discover how the mind of H.P. Lovecraft worked, and how much his early and late stories tell about this intriguing writer.
Published December 12th 1970 by Ballantine Books (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Tomb and Other Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tomb and Other Tales

Bill
Jun 11, 2013 Bill rated it liked it
This book contains a series of short stories by HP Lovecraft. I can't say that they were fantastic but it was interesting to read more of Lovecraft's work. The book is broken down into some of his classics, some of his work that he wrote as a late teen to his 20's and then some fragments of dreams he had that were never ultimately turned into stories. He does have a pretty basic theme, that being stories of creatures/ beings that come from some primordial past and infect or debase the minds of p ...more
Michael
Sep 30, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovecraftians, Horror Fans, Goths
Recommended to Michael by: Dungeons and Dragons
This was the very first Lovecraft book I read, while I was still pre-pubescent and innocent. In fact, I was so young that I didn’t understand a lot of the vocabulary, and really didn’t “get” several of the stories until many years later. I remember just letting the flow of words wash over me and not worrying about what was going on. Today, I would admit that this seems like sort of an “odds and ends” collection, more for the Lovecraft completist than an introductory text, but it worked well enou ...more
Shane
Jan 02, 2008 Shane rated it really liked it
So I read some of these stories a long time ago and don't remember them and didn't write any comments. But for most of them I did. But I just finished the last story today so here are my comments.

Azathoth : 7.0 - Very nice. Mopey Lovecraft dreams about a man that is discontented with the world and reality.

He : 7.0 - A man "born in the wrong era" finds that New York haunts him. He meets someone who is actually from the colonial days but has stayed alive through magic. The man shows him the past b
Cwl
Jan 24, 2010 Cwl rated it liked it
More interesting than satisfying. "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs", which was ghostwritten for Houdini(!), feels like a boys' adventure tale and only descends into a Lovecraftian abyss near the end. "He" and "The Horror of Red Hook" presumably date from Lovecraft's excellent New York adventure and are full of disdain for the city and its immigrant populations, especially "Red Hook", which reads like a Klanthulu tale in spots ("squat, swarthy strangers with hardened faces and narrow eyes...who coul ...more
Ken
Feb 26, 2009 Ken rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This collection of HP Lovecraft is more geared towards the Lovecraft completist, containing at the end some of his younger works and some of his uncompleted fragments. However, there are some very strong stories here such as the title story, the Walls of Eryx, Imprisoned with the Pharoahs, and the Alchemist. Many of the best stories in this collection are also contained in the Doom that Came to Sarnath, however, so if you've read that first then you may want to take a pass on this unless you wan ...more
Ben
Mar 16, 2009 Ben rated it really liked it
quote:

"One can trace the relics of this former happiness in the trim shapes of the buildings, the occasional graceful churches, and the evidences of original art and background in bits of detail here and there - a worn flight of steps, a wormy pair of decorative columns of pilasters, or a fragment of once green space with bent and rusted iron railing"
- Horror in Red Hook, 1925
Holger Haase
Apr 04, 2015 Holger Haase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of some of Lovecraft's lesser known stories, collaborations (one with Houdini), some early pieces and fragments.

They all display the typical Lovecraft style: very verbose and descriptive yet with very little actual dialogue or typical "action". It's a very moody kind of horror that you either love or hate. What can I say? I love it.
Cameron
Oct 05, 2008 Cameron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Tomb is one of his shortest stories and makes for a great introduction to the neophyte Lovecraft reader. Doesn't get into the mythos at all really, but is a good example of his style.
Kristen
May 12, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: horror, classics
For years the name "Lovecraft" conjured up images in my mind of wading through "Shakespeare's Unknown Works" Although I love horror, I had for some reason always assumed that his works would be a tedious and difficult read. Finally I decided that I really needed to commit myself to attempting to read some Lovecraft. When I read the first of the short stories in this book "The Tomb" I was thrilled to find that it wasn't difficult to read, it was simply beautiful, lyrical writing in a style that w ...more
Gabriel C.
Dec 27, 2012 Gabriel C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Some of the stories in here are just fantastic. I can't believe I haven't read any Lovecraft before. But those stories alone would merit three stars. This book gets four stars for juxtaposing some of these absolute gems with terrible juvenilia containing the germs of the ideas and style that would later come to fruition. Read as a single text, this series shows how little separates exquisite handicraft from bumbling hackery. We don't see the transversal of this razor's edge, but we see text on o ...more
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Sep 28, 2016 Jean-Pierre Vidrine rated it liked it
With Lovecraft, it's always hit and miss. This collection has just enough "hit" to avoid a dismal rating, but only just so. When the stories in this collection are not good, they are entirely forgettable. The caveat that most people cringe at about Lovecraft is his sometimes blatant racism. In other collections of his work I'd read, the attitudes were not too prominent, but never entirely absent. In some of these tales the prejudice practically takes center stage.
"The Street" in particular is s
Matt Skeels
Feb 08, 2010 Matt Skeels rated it really liked it
"Although everything was spinning perilously, I tried to start in the right direction and hack my way ahead. My route must have been far from straight, for it seemed hours before I was free of the mirage-plant's pervasive influence. Gradually the dancing lights began to disappear, and the shimmering spectral scenery began to assume the aspect of solidity. When I did get wholly clear I looked at my watch and was astonished to find the time was only 4:20. Though eternities had seemed to pass, the ...more
Chris Kleis
Dec 20, 2013 Chris Kleis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice collection of stories by Lovecarft, offering alternative aspects of horror, alongside the classic conception of the Ancient Ones.

But the real masterpiece here is "Beyond the Wall of Sleep", a short story -which doesn't share many bonds with the horror genre- based on a concept far beyond its own time, and any time really. Superb and unrivaled...

Since the review is about all stories in the collection, I'd rate each one of them as follows:

The Tomb..........................3/5
Dagon..
Maarit
Nov 24, 2013 Maarit rated it really liked it
The Tomb and Other Tales (2002) on novellikokoelma, joka sisältää perinteisten Lovecraft-novellien lisäksi Early Tales -kokoelman Lovecraftin 15-22-vuotiaana kirjoittamia novelleja sekä Fragments -osion, jossa on neljä lyhyttä keskeneräiseksi jäänyttä tarinaa.

Pidin tästä novellikokoelmasta enemmän kuin aiemmin lukemastani At the Mountains of Madness -omnibuksesta, sillä tämän kokoelman tarinat olivat monipuolisempia, selkeämmin kirjoitettuja ja ylipäätään kiinnostavampia. Suosikkeihini kuuluivat
Lisa
Mar 04, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
For my money, this is the best of Lovecraft in one volume. "I was far from home, and the spell of the eastern sea was upon me". I read that opening line over thirty years ago and it still sticks with me. "The Tomb" is responsible for a long series of disturbing dreams I had featuring ancient Egypt. "The Horror at Red Hook" is another favorite in this collection. Subtle, creepy, horrifying, and violent. Too bad young people no longer have the patience and attention span for Lovecraft, because he ...more
Kate
Nov 04, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: anthologies, sf-f
This was my first Lovecraft Experience, and this collection left me wanting more. Lovecraft manages to write horror in a highly poetic style that's enchanting. Unfortunately, his stories are a product of their time in that racism and classism (to name two) are a problem--perhaps most notably in "The Horror at Red Hook" and "The Transition of Juan Romero"--which does mar the otherwise-excellent storytelling.

The collection was a bit repetitive thematically: some of the stories are a bit too simila
Φειδίας Μπουρλάς
Ὁ τόμος αὐτὸς περιέχει τὰ πρῶτα, νεανικά, λιγότερο σημαντικὰ καὶ μὲ ἀτέλειες βεβαίως διηγήματα τοῦ Λάβκραφτ, μὲ τὰ ὁποῖα ὅμως ἀρχίζει νὰ διαγράφεται ἡ μελλοντικὴ πορεία τοῦ συγγραφέως. Δὲν συνιστᾶται σὲ ὅσους θέλουν νὰ διαβάσουν τὰ ἀντιπροσωπευτικότερα καὶ καλύτερα ἔργα τοῦ συγγραφέως, ἀλλὰ στοὺς φανατικοὺς λάτρεις τοῦ Χ.Φ.Λ. ποὺ θέλουν νὰ διαβάσουν ὅλα του τὰ ἔργα καὶ νὰ ἐμπλουτίσουν τὴν συλλογή τους μὲ τὴν πλήρη σειρὰ τῶν ἐκδόσεων Αίολος.
Cassie
I find with Lovecraft that when he's good he is so good, and when he's bad he is incredibly slow and it's nearly unbearable. This collection contains hits and misses. My favorites included: "The Tomb", "The Festival", "The Strange High House in the Mist", "In the Walls of Eryx", "The Alchemist", "The Street," and "The Transition of Juan Romero." Despite the ones that I didn't enjoy, the book was worth it for those that I loved reading. Definitely another good Lovecraft collection.
Kathleen
Oct 24, 2011 Kathleen rated it it was ok
This was among the 2-3 horror short story collections I picked up at the secondhand book store and unfortunately, represents probably the third time I've forgotten that Lovecraft just isn't to my taste (probably due at least in part to my sister Mary's constant adulation thereof).

I find a lot of his ideas interesting, but the writing just isn't especially gripping, somehow? And so much of it was just this excessive gore that wasn't scary so much as stomach-turning.
Rene Mullen
Jun 09, 2012 Rene Mullen rated it really liked it
Lovecraft reads like fine wine, prose like poetry. Whenever I'm in need of GOOD writing for writing's sake, I read Lovecraft. Sure, his stories are impressive and creative, but they are old and rarely have the twist ending I seek. Don't get me wrong. I adore Lovecraft more than almost any other author on the books. But you can't drink fine wine all day every day.
Miles Zarathustra
Another Lovecraft anthology, collected by August Derleth in 1965. Published by Panther, once upon a time.

One nice (and a bit unusual) thing about this edition is that it features 5 stories from Lovecraft's early years, so you can get a glimpse of how his style evolved.

I give any Lovecraft anthology 5 stars, because I am a fanatic.

Katsumi
Aug 30, 2009 Katsumi rated it really liked it
None of the tales in this book overwhelm and impress as does the best fiction of H. P. Lovecraft, so this may not be the best book to begin with if you are reading HPL for the first time; but as an array of the kinds of fiction of which he was capable of writing, this is a solid and quite enjoyable edition. Highly recommended.
Iain
Jul 30, 2016 Iain rated it liked it
I've read the following from this collection:

The Strange High House in the Mist (3 stars) A pleasant little tale, even poetic at times.

The Horror at Red Hook (3-4 stars) One of the best tales I've read by Lovecraft. Reminiscent of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, a police procedural with a supernatural edge. It's obvious how this tale presaged the Cthulian / Elder Ones mythos.
Sherry
Jun 13, 2009 Sherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sherry by: Amber
Although he will never usurp Poe as my favorite "weird" writer, Lovecraft is definitely up there. They both do "first person crazy" like no one else! Glad to see there was a true science fiction story in there too...awesome!
Marissa
Sep 21, 2012 Marissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: lovecraft
I own a few of these Del Rey paperback collections of HPL. When I first got into Lovecraft, they were nice, but now that I own books with corrected texts, annotations, and the like, these are superfluous at best.
David
Aug 09, 2008 David added it
Shelves: hpl, horror
This collection provides a look at Lovecraft’s early tales. It is a grab bag of HPL’s work, and shows some of the various directions he went in.

Bettie☯
Vittorio
Sep 16, 2007 Vittorio rated it it was amazing
Compared with Lovecraft, Stephen King and Clive Barker are creatively challenged. Lovecraft's greatest strength is evoking a mood of dread, but his weakness is characterization.
Gláucia Renata
Oct 15, 2014 Gláucia Renata rated it it was amazing
Reunião de contos que trafegam por gêneros como o horror - o clássico A Tumba - e a ficção científica - Entre as Paredes de Eryx -, com destaque para personagens jogados na loucura e no desespero.
Oct 13, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
My first Lovecraft book but won't be my last. I understand from a lot of the comments this may not have been the best introduction to his work but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.
  • Cthulhu: The Mythos and Kindred Horrors
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror
  • The Dunwich Cycle: Where the Old Gods Wait (Cthulhu Cycle Book, #9)
  • Books of Blood: Volume Three (Books of Blood #3)
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Yellow Sign & Other Stories
  • Dark Gods
  • The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft
  • The Taint and Other Novellas
  • Borderlands 1
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...