Start by marking “The Annotated U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence” as Want to Read:
The Annotated U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence

The Annotated U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Here in a newly annotated edition are the two founding documents of the United States of America: the Declaration of Independence (1776), our great revolutionary manifesto, and the Constitution (1787 88), in which We the People forged a new nation and built the framework for our federal republic. Together with the Bill of Rights and the Civil War amendments, these document ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Belknap Press (first published 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about The Annotated U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence

Phillip
This volume is excellent for civics instruction. The texts of the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution, and the Amendments to the Constitution are nicely laid out.

Rakove's annotations to the three documents provide a taste of their history and interpretation.
John Harvey
Do not buy kindle version

The content of the book is good. However it is the worst formatted kindle book I have ever read. The footnotes are mixed in with the text and most are before the paragraph they are related to. It is sometimes hard to keep straight the text of the constitution, the comments, and the footnotes. None of the images are in the kindle version. If you want to read this book buy the printed book.
Gloria
Feb 11, 2011 Gloria added it
I cannot finish this book because it gets me so pumped up I can't sleep. The last thing I need is more motivation. One day when I'm old and tired and have time I'll finish it but not right now.
Gregory Fischer
Gregory Fischer marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
John Rhoads
John Rhoads rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Christian Mower
Christian Mower rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Elijah Wallace
Elijah Wallace rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Girard
Girard marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Katherine L
Katherine L marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Daniel Morgen
Daniel Morgen rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Johns
Johns added it
Apr 12, 2016
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
T Fool
T Fool rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Lara Langeneckert
Lara Langeneckert marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Judi Hakim
Judi Hakim rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Marti
Marti marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Matt Ryan
Matt Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Christi
Christi marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Anna-pines
Anna-pines marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Mk Moore
Mk Moore rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
LovGov
LovGov marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Buck Norton
Buck Norton marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Davo Harutyunyan
Davo Harutyunyan marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Gemseeker
Gemseeker marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jack Rakove is the William Robertson Coe Professor of History and American Studies and professor of political science and (by courtesy) law at Stanford, where he has taught since 1980. His principal areas of research include the origins of the American Revolution and Constitution, the political practice and theory of James Madison, and the role of historical knowledge in constitutional litigation. ...more
More about Jack N. Rakove...