Start by marking “The Maze of Cadiz” as Want to Read:
The Maze of Cadiz

The Maze of Cadiz (Peter Cotton #1)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Sent to Spain in 1944to arrest a rogue spy, British agent Peter Cotton expects an easy first assignment. But he arrives to find his quarry dead and all of Cadiz awaiting his arrival. In a hotbed of scandal and murder, Cotton must navigate a labyrinth of international conspiracies, shifting political allegiances, and a mysterious local expatriate community to discover the t ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by John Murray (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Maze of Cadiz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maze of Cadiz

KOMET
During the first week of September 1944, Peter Cotton, a 25 year old intelligence officer and fluent Spanish speaker, arrives in Madrid from London. Upon arrival at the British Embassy, he begins to undertake what, prima facie, appears to be a straightforward and clear-cut mission: travel to Cadiz and replace the British agent there (R.A. May), who, through the consulate, had spent over a year gathering information on shipments of raw materials vital to the German war effort. (As a matter of his ...more
Nick 2E0NAQ
I enjoyed reading The maze of Cadiz. I think what made the story more enjoyable was having a bit of the spanish language used to give the story more feel of the spanish life in Cadiz. (if is the first time I have felt brave enough to read a review of a book that I have read so i hope I have credit to Aly Monroe. I cant wait to read her next book Washington Shadow which is sitting and waitting for me to read.
Carey Combe
For a first novel, very impressive
Rob Kitchin
The first of the Peter Cotton series, The Maze of Cadiz is a spy tale in the Alan Furst mode - understated realism as opposed to a capital T thriller. Peter Cotton is a young ex-soldier sent to Cadiz on his first mission as a British agent. He’s somewhat naive, yet oddly worldly; independent and self-sufficient but a little lost in a foreign landscape haunted by civil war politics and conscious of the larger war going on around them and their fragile diplomatic position. Monroe does a good job o ...more
F
Not sure quite what I think. Was surprised to be given this book as a Christmas present. I enjoyed it, but will probably read it again, and read other novels by Ali Monroe and then decide how I feel.
Christiana Succar
Relatively good book as a spy/crime novel, but really does not cover Cadiz as I thought. I am looking for a book that will carry me through the city as I am living here for the month of July.
Andy Mckinney
This is probably the best modern spy novel I have ever read. Having spent a year in Algeciras just down the road from Cadiz and so being familiar with the city helped but Monroe is a great story teller. Peter Cotton is excellent and she really has a good insight into the Spanish psyche and the deprivation of the early Franco years. This has the same gritty sort of feel as John Le Carre. Excellent.
Paul Dumont
A terrific debut which follows an ingenue spy, Peter Cotton, on his mission to investigate the death of an 'agent in residence' in Cadiz. Set in September, 1944, I've rarely come across a thriller that so beautifully evokes a time and place so well.
Nick Duretta
Fairly well done tale of a low-level British operative in WWII Spain, trying to get to the bottom of his predecessors death (murder? suicide? accident?). The characters and period are adeptly portrayed, but this didn't kick into high gear for me.
Lynne - The Book Squirrel
Wasn't my cup of tea, really can't get into thriller novels at all!
Robert Druce
Robert Druce marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Rosey
Rosey marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Myrto
Myrto marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Celia
Celia marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Yashwin Kumar
Yashwin Kumar marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Weishi
Weishi marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Patternsoflife
Patternsoflife marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
WW II Spy Novels: author rec: Aly Monroe 1 5 May 24, 2015 12:48PM
Author of the Peter Cotton series, which begins in 1944, and takes us to different countries around the world during the aftermath of the second world war and the dismantling of the British colonies

The first three books in the series, 'The Maze of Cadiz', 'Washington Shadow', and 'Icelight' received excellent reviews. (See my website)

Washington Shadow' was shortlisted for the 2010 CWA Ellis Peters
More about Aly Monroe...

Peter Cotton (4 books)
  • Washington Shadow (Peter Cotton, #2)
  • Icelight
  • Black Bear
Icelight Washington Shadow (Peter Cotton, #2) Black Bear Redeemable - A Peter Cotton short story. (Peter Cotton, #3.5) Redeemable (Ebook)