Start by marking “The Pure Heart of Yoga: Ten Essential Steps for Personal Transformation” as Want to Read:
The Pure Heart of Yoga: Ten Essential Steps for Personal Transformation

The Pure Heart of Yoga: Ten Essential Steps for Personal Transformation

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Inner stillness. Perfect awareness. True beauty. Yoga is much more than just a physical activity. It is a conscious lifestyle that brings about a profound spiritual and personal transformation. This book on yoga invites you to experience yoga as the ancient masters intended it-a holistic way of life that unites the body, mind, and spirit for complete health and well-being. ...more
Published September 8th 2009 by Llewellyn Publications (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Pure Heart of Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pure Heart of Yoga

Lindsay
Feb 11, 2013 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
One of the best books I've read so far, perfect for each beginner. Not only for the 'how and why' of poses but most of all because it learns you more about the yoga lifestyle, which is so much more than just stretching your muscles and meditation. Intention, attitude, breathing exercises and more, this book learned me why I want to practice yoga in my daily life.
Tinea
Aug 27, 2013 Tinea rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tinea by: my yoga teacher
It's funny that life changes meant I read this in a three-week period where I wasn't able to go to my yoga studio, where busy-ness and energy sucks meant I didn't do any physical yoga poses for the longest time in a few years. The yoga membership on which I gambled a significant portion of my minimum wage barista income more than paid for itself in happiness, athleticism, productive filler for the lonely hours while my partner was away for three separate six month chunks, supportive relationship ...more
Chiara Van den berg
Jan 12, 2014 Chiara Van den berg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is such a great book about yoga! You can start anywhere in the book, read a page and you have enough the think about, but also to do your daily yoga in a total diffrent view. You can use this book as a beginner, but also when you are a teacher, and keep learning about yourself and the world of body, mind and soul.
Lynne Stewart
Jan 13, 2016 Lynne Stewart rated it it was amazing
Favourite book about yoga, chakras and emotions.
Lindsey Jarrett
Feb 19, 2013 Lindsey Jarrett rated it really liked it
Picked this up when I first started yoga and was curious to learn more. Really liked it and come back to it now and again throughout different phases of my practice. It is great for understanding the limbs and philosophies of yoga that we often hear reference of in classes. I also loved the opportunities to reflect on my own personal practice, relating it to discussions in the book.
Adam
Mar 26, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it
I read this when I first started practicing yoga. It helped me to understand the language that was used in class, and a great deal that goes beyond the asana. The only drawback is the life examples, although helpful, some are a bit corny.
Jen
Oct 12, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
This is written by the man who runs YogaLife Institute where I am in teacher training - and I found out he's a first cousin of our good friends. Very enlightening if you want to delve deeper into yoga.
Paula
Mar 04, 2010 Paula rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book, a good place for beginners to learn various yogic concepts and practices, beyond the postures. Good also for long-time practitioners who want to cultivate "beginner's mind."
Paula Youmell
Sep 01, 2013 Paula Youmell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Great book, easy read and good addition to my Yoga library. Butera has great insights into the spirituality of yoga. Would love to do teacher training with Butera!
Eileen
Jul 14, 2010 Eileen rated it liked it
Good book to learn general principles of yoga and practical aspects of the practice. Also, gives helpful insight on the poses.
Duygu Ak
Nov 30, 2012 Duygu Ak rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Reader-friendly book
Helene Pino
Helene Pino marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Nicole Allison
Nicole Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Dila
Dila rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Nedra
Nedra marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Christie Owens
Christie Owens marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Rajesh Hegde
Rajesh Hegde marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Ellbell2020
Ellbell2020 is currently reading it
May 01, 2016
Kaye
Kaye marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Dibha
Dibha rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Delaney
Delaney is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Andi
Andi is currently reading it
Mar 16, 2016
Katsu
Katsu marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Geri
Geri rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Path of the Yoga Sutras: A Practical Guide to the Core of Yoga
  • The Yoga-Sutra of Patanjali: A New Translation with Commentary
  • Insight Yoga
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Yoga for a World Out of Balance: Teachings on Ethics and Social Action
  • Yoga for Transformation: Ancient Teachings and Practices for Healing the Body, Mind,and Heart
  • The Kundalini Yoga Experience: Bringing Body, Mind, and Spirit Together
  • The Heart of Tantric Sex
  • Sivananda Companion to Yoga
  • Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind
  • Instant Enlightenment: Fast, Deep, and Sexy
  • The Power of Ashtanga Yoga: Developing a Practice That Will Bring You Strength, Flexibility, and Inner Peace--Includes the complete Primary Series