Start by marking “The Anti-Inflammation Zone: Reversing the Silent Epidemic That's Destroying Our Health” as Want to Read:

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Combat silent inflammation --
the most serious health
threat you never heard of

Heart disease is the #1 killer of Americans.
Cancer is the #1 fear of Americans.
Dementia is the #1 concern of Americans.

What do these devastating illnesses have in common? All three have been linked to silent inflammation, a condition that occurs when the body's natural immune response goes awry. S
Published December 28th 2004 by ReganBooks (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Anti-Inflammation Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anti-Inflammation Zone

Hepburn
Aug 10, 2014 Hepburn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014_books
A few weeks ago I learned about "the Zone diet," which was coined by Dr. Barry Sears.
According to the Zone diet, it is eicosanoids that promote wellness, not losing weight. Eicosanoids are hormones within a zone. Dr. Barry claims that most diseases are caused by inflammation. Eicosanoids control inflammation, so the key to wellness is to keep moderate amount of eicosanoids in your body.
Dr. Barry also emphasizes that the most dangerous symptom is "silent inflammation" because basically you can't
Michelle
May 11, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big believer in the Zone, although I don't do it like I should, I understand the concept. This book makes absolute sense to me and just seems to follow Barry Sear's research. It is just the next logical step. I am a member of the Zone website, and while I believe the Zone line of thought about keeping your eating habits balanced, why this is important, and how to do it, I think he is really trying to make a lot of money on his products. Don't get me wrong, they are probably good products, ...more
Mitzi McMahon
Nov 04, 2014 Mitzi McMahon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
Excellent information. Easy to understand with detailed explanations on the "why" behind silent inflammation and, most important, ways to combat it.
Rebecca
Aug 07, 2012 Rebecca rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2012
I am not going to do this on either. The things you shouldn't eat include: breakfast cereal, flour, crackers, pasta, bread, bagels, muffins, cookies, fake, granola bars, rice, potatoes, grains, sugar, butter, vegetable oil, egg yolks or canned fruits and veggies. The diet goes on an on about eating fish and taking 4 to 12 fish oil pills a day. I hate fish. The thought or smell of fish makes me beauteous and always have. I don't even take the pills because the Thoth of burping up fish taste makes ...more
Sara Jane
I can sum this book up in one sentence: Take fish oil.
Anonymous
Jan 14, 2014 Anonymous rated it it was ok
It's not laid out in an easy to read format. I skipped through a lot of it.

And, since it's 9 years old, some of it seems outdated. There have been new, healthier lifestyle options since then.

It probably was useful when it came out in 2005.
Hanna
Jun 15, 2012 Hanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The idea is good! I am reading it because I got struck with an autoimmune disease and want to be in control of my immune system.
In true American style it starts by telling the reader what an excellent book it, is, how famous the author is and how successful the method is. You can safely skip all this, since the method and the research speaks for itself. The book is very repetitive and somewhat dumbed down, but it sure makes certain you get the message! And I did.... This makes sense and I will
Caralee
Aug 28, 2008 Caralee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Caralee by: Eric heard about it online
Great book! Eric and I have been on this diet for a month or so now and it works so well. I feel a lot more satisfied (and not bloated) and have a lot more energy, plus I am finally down to my pre pregnant weight (I never thought that would happen!!). Eric has also lost weight with just the food part, he hasn't had time to work out the last couple of months. I am excited to see what happens after boards when he does.
Nancy
Sep 29, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Dr. Sears makes some interesting points in his book, but I thought that much of the book was geared toward trying to scare the readers. Some of the materials were confusing to understand.
Krista Bolan
p254-55 - correlation between statin drugs and breast cancer. Correlation between statin drugs and higher production of AA, which causes inflammation in the body.
Judith
Jul 26, 2010 Judith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barry sears exposes information that could improve your health and minimize the incidence of diabetes, cancer, heart attack and Alzheimer's. A worthy read.
Dogdaysinaz
Aug 16, 2012 Dogdaysinaz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I checked out the Zone Inflammation Diet from the library and after reading parts of it, I'm done. Some of it makes sense, and some of it is over the top.
Jane
Dec 03, 2011 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I changed my rating because I have learned so much about plant based diets that I feel this is not the healthiest way to eat.
Corinne
Mar 26, 2013 Corinne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
ret'd to library because it was due and don't imagine I'll get back out to finish.
E. Scott Harvey
Jun 24, 2013 E. Scott Harvey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely thought-provoking!!
Madeline
Apr 15, 2012 Madeline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
makes sense. is changing how i eat.
P
Lisa
Lisa added it
Feb 02, 2016
Wesley Allen
Wesley Allen marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Rita Marunde
Rita Marunde is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2016
Muskaan Nanda
Muskaan Nanda marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Ray
Ray marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Cana
Cana rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Better Health Juice
Better Health Juice marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Whitney Mullenax
Whitney Mullenax is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2016
Leonie
Leonie marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Cherish Craig
Cherish Craig rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
AMS
AMS marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Get the Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet
  • The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook: More than 175 Ultra-Tasty Recipes for Total Health and Weight Loss
  • Healthy Aging
  • The Mayo Clinic Diabetes Diet
  • The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook
  • Quantum Wellness Cleanse: The 21-Day Essential Guide to Healing Your Mind, Body and Spirit
  • The 3-Season Diet: Eat the Way Nature Intended: Lose Weight, Beat Food Cravings, and Get Fit
  • The Science of Skinny: Start Understanding Your Body's Chemistry--and Stop Dieting Forever
  • UnDiet: Eat Your Way To Vibrant Health
  • You Are What You Eat: The Plan That Will Change Your Life
  • Food and Healing
  • Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free
  • The Brendan Voyage: A Leather Boat Tracks the Discovery of America by the Irish Sailor Saints
  • Paleo for Beginners: Essentials to Get Started
  • Wheat Belly Total Health: The Ultimate Grain-Free Health and Weight-Loss Life Plan
  • 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health
  • Why Calories Count: From Science to Politics