Jenna's Cowboy (The Callahans of Texas, #1)

Jenna's Cowboy (The Callahans of Texas #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  2,674 ratings  ·  295 reviews
Can you ever get a second chance at your first love?

Jenna Callahan Colby thought she was content. A partner on her father's successful ranch, she is surrounded by family and friends. But she never expected to see Nate Langley back in town—the first guy she ever noticed, the one her father sent away all those years ago.

And she never thought the attraction they felt would be...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Fleming H. Revell Company

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Books You Must Read!
393rd out of 1,248 books — 1,313 voters
Tributary by Lisa Tawn BergrenWaterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenCascade by Lisa Tawn BergrenTorrent by Lisa Tawn BergrenBourne by Lisa Tawn Bergren
Some of the Best Books Ever Written
15th out of 23 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Candace
Pretty good. There are a lot of references to Christianity/sprituality, etc. While I realize it is a Christian romance novel there seemed to be an almost excessive amount of Christian references. While I appreciate that the characters relied on God and their faith to see them through hard times, occasionally it seemed a bit unrealistic.

This book almost made it seem like it was easy to trust God in tough times and easy to pray through worries and they would just go away. I tend to prefer characte...more
Ursula Gorman
Jenna's Cowboy...is FANTASTIC!!! This is one of the best books I've read in a long time! It is heartwarming, touching, moving, sweet and tender!
Jenna is going through a trial; trying to adjust as a single mom after divorcing her cheating husband. She has built a wall around her heart.
Nate is goign through his own trial; trying to adjust to life after the military. He's afraid to get too close to anyone, afraid he'll hurt them during the flashbacks he has from his time in the military.
Both of t...more
Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus
I should have realized this book was not for me waayyyy before I did.
What kind of Cowboy doesn't drink beer, talk sh*t and mess around? A Christian cowboy that's who.

I didn't mind so much when I found out this was a Christian romance( note to self research books first, but it was free on amazon) I really wouldn't of minded if the praying and praising wasn't what made majority of the storyline!

I liked the idea of this story, a reunited love. Jenna a divorcee and Nate a war hero with PTSD, and...more
Babs
Jenna and her young son live on her parents ranch. After a bad divorce she needed to come home and regroup. She is now a partner running her father's ranch along with her brothers.

Nate Langley comes back home after 2 tours over in Iraq. He wasn't expecting to see Jenna so soon after coming home for good. He and Jenna were old friends from high school and at one time cared for each other. Of course Jenna would never have known how he felt then as he kept to himself.

The two meet up and the roman...more
Kit
Mar 19, 2013 Kit rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Military families
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this book. I assumed it was a romance. What I have to comment about this book is that it hit really hard at home for me. Nate was a Iraqi war veteran. He served two tours; one in Iraq and the other in Afganistan. He suffers from PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). It goes into the struggles he faces every day from: nightmares, to jumping at every little sound and shadow, panic attacks, fear of fire, loss in memory, short temper and anger iss...more
Elizabeth
this is a simple straightforward love story, that for me started out strong, with characters that I immediately enjoyed reading about.

Towards the end, though the the story got bogged down. I'm not even sure what it was about the story that made it feel that way.

I felt as though the religious aspect of it was forced, thrown in at various times as though it was a prerequisite. That the author gave herself a goal to have so many references about God ,prayer, and religion in her book.

I greatly en...more
Loraine
I began reading this book and thought it was going to be the typical cowboy romance. I had to admit I was ultimately surprised when this novel had some real depth as it dealt with Nate's PTSD after returning from a couple of tours of duty in Afghanistan. The author obviously did her research and incorporated her knowledge re PTSD through the storyline very adeptly. I could readily understand both Nate's feelings and Jenna's reactions as my husband served in VietNam and had a few minor reactions...more
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jan 27, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian Romance enthusiasts
Recommended to Mollie *scoutrmom* by: won in Goodreads contest
Diana
Jenna has returned home, broken hearted with her son to heal. Her marriage has ended and she no longer feels like the homecoming queen who left town.

Nate has returned home too. The former football store is now a war hero plagued with post traumatic distress. Nate has always been in love with Jenna, but her father warned him away from her years earlier because he wanted something more for his only daughter.

Jenna and Nate reconnect as friends wanting more, but first Nate must overcome the demons f...more
Gail
I really enjoyed this book about Jenna and Nate! Nate had been in the war and was injured with PTSD, sent home and having to learn to live with an injured leg and his "always there" reactions to loud noises, fire, and anything causing his PTSD to cause a reaction, not knowing what or when it might happen!
He goes back to town where Jenna and he grew up and Jenna had gotten married and had a child but now was divorced and living with her parents on their ranch! Both he and Jenna had always had a "...more
Aubrey Hansen
I didn't finish this novel, so I'm not giving it a star rating, but I wanted to review it and explain why I didn't finish reading it.

Why? Because there was no plot.

I'll confess that I usually don't read romance novels. Actually, I think this is my first legit one. So clearly I'm not the target audience for this book, and my perception is biased accordingly. But what turned me off from this book wasn't the romance--it was the fact that there wasn't anything else besides the romance.

3 chapters in...more
Kame
A wonderful love inspired christian romance that tackles how our returning veterans must pick up their lives and make a new. Jenna is Nate's boss's daughter and best friend's sister and he has loved her since High School. But Dad told him he wasn't good enough - that was before he went off to war and became a decorated war hero. But because of emotional scars from battle Nate is not sure if he can ever be the right one for Jenna. Jenna married the boy her Dad thought was headed for big things -...more
Cheryl
Nate Langley has returned to Callahan Crossing. He was off fighting in the war. He is ready to come home and enjoy some peace and quiet.

Jenna Callahan Colby and her son Zach are content living on her family’s ranch, after a failed marriage. Jenna thought she had everything her heart desired…till she saw Nate. Jenna and Nate were high school sweethearts but Jenna’s father felt that Nate wasn’t good enough for Jenna and sent him packing.

Now Jenna and Nate are all grown up. Can these two reconnec...more
Rachel
The characters were actually really likealbe. I wanted to be into this story because of that alone! Alas while things started out pretty good (note I didn't realize this was a christian book when I started) it got to be too much before the halfway mark. The christian rhetoric just went from a pleasant part of the story to up and up and up and hit come on now for me.

I had a pretty good chuckle when she expounded about her 2 yr. old's language skills being "off the chart". Perhaps spend some more...more
Meredith
This book was so sweet...and innocent, and pretty well written too. I read this book because I just got a Kindle, and I could download it for free. I could have easily just read the first few pages and left it, but instead I read it all while on two long plane rides. So, while it might not earn any mainstream critical acclaim, I enjoyed it. I'd also read other books in the series.

This novel is set in Texas, and that was part of the appeal for me (having grown up in Texas). There was a whole cha...more
Highland-dreamer
Lynne Stringer
I considered giving this book only two stars, but the ending just scraped it into three. It took forever to get going, and even when it did get going, there didn't seem to be a great deal happening. A lot of time was spent detailing life on a ranch and how to pick cotton, and while I don't have a problem with some of this, as it sets the scene and provides atmosphere, I felt it was overdone.
Also, while the subject of PTSD is an important one and worthy of attention, I felt the issues concerned w...more
Carman
This book will really touch you. Nate’s struggles with PTSD will make you think more about the people who risk their lives to defend our country. I had never spent much time thinking about the side-effects of war and the stress that a person would be under in those situations. Jenna’s Cowboy made me even more appreciative of people like Nate who so bravely fight for us. The patriotism in these books is truly inspiring. I loved all the characters in this book! Jenna may have been hurt in the past...more
Jo-Anne
Jenna Callahan Colby and her young son move back to live with her parents on their ranch after a bad divorce. She is now a partner running her father's ranch along with her brothers. Nate Langley comes back home after 2 tours over in Iraq and is working part-time at the Callahan ranch. They had a crush on each other in high school but didn't let the other know about their feelings. Once they see each other, they realized they still have feelings for each other but continue to hide the feelings.

N...more
Gina
Great book

Good clean Christian romance that kept my interest throughout the book. This book deals with the effects of PTSD disorder and how one of the main characters deals with it.
Morgan
Dec 07, 2012 Morgan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
The story was intriguing and the topic of PTSD timely, but the heavy handed Christian message combined with a tendency to *tell not show* really killed it for me. The PTSD affected hero needs to be put out there more as more men and women return from war. I don't mind inspirational when I'm prepared, but usually I find that in the interest of delivering the good word, it interferes with the pacing. So, yes, it was okay. Could have been far more engaging.
Jennifer-Eve Workman
Jul 03, 2012 Jennifer-Eve Workman rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian Romantics
Recommended to Jennifer-Eve by: Free Kindle Book Offer
This is a very soft "Christian Romance." Not really my cup of tea. There were really no conflicts worth writing about. I'm sure there is a huge audience for a book like this, I'm just not one of them. It's just one of those sappy, overly icky story lines, with no real conflicts. The writing was OK, I'm just not into stories like this one. This will be a short review because frankly it's too exhausting to put the effort into it...
Joy
Nate comes home after two tours in the war, he meets up again with Jenna who is his old boss's daughter. Nate has liked Jenna since high school but has never said he likes her. The two hit it off and even though Jenna has been married and has suffered scares from her divorce along with a small son 'Zack' in tow.
The story line is OK. The talk about the problems Nate faces from being in the war is good. There are some good lessons to learn from sharing what PTSD is, along with the treatments. Tha...more
Lynda
Totally enjoyed Jenna's Cowboy. This deals with several things. Vets returning from a war zone and dealing with some type of PTSD. And that while the nomenclature is fairly recent, soldiers having been dealing with this probably since the first war. Nate, our "hero", is just that. But he is also a strong Christian and is not afraid to state his faith and the need for God in his life. Nate also expects, now that he is home for good, the 'problems' to go away.

Jenna is divorced and the mother of a...more
Magpie67
Great Christian romance with a pure sense of small community and the American Flag. Modern romance with a realizm of dealing with war and post traumatic syndrome. I want to try the next two books in the series to see Jenna's brothers get hooked with romance of their own.
Nikki Rich
I'm actually currently reading the book. But I put "read" because although it's a cute story, it's very predictable. A girl hurt by love gets reintroduced to an old friend with an old crush.
Of course they'll end up together.
SheLove2Read
This started out interesting but the second half was a cheese fest, even for an inspirational read. I was disappointed because the heroine's brother's book (Megan's Chance) was pretty good.
2 stars / D+
Teresa Snyder
Really liked this book! It's one of my favorites.
Pattianne
Jenna's Cowboy - THE CALLAHANS OF TEXAS #1 - (Nate and Jenna)

Can you ever get a second chance at your first love?

And she never thought the attraction they felt would be as strong as ever.

Jenna's cowboy has some healing of his own to...more
Lori
I was so excited when I saw that Sharon Gillenwater was going to be releasing Jenna's Cowboy, the start of a new series! I remember reading her Palisades romances back when I was just discovering Christian Fiction romance; they were wonderful books. I must say that she has far exceeded my expectations with her newest release. I was hooked from page one, and couldn't read fast enough to see what was gonna happen next. She successfully brings her character to life, so much so, that I could easily...more
  • A Texan's Promise (Heart of a Hero #1)
  • To Love Anew (Sydney Cove, #1)
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • Surrendered Hearts
  • Paper Roses (Texas Dreams, #1)
  • A Path Less Traveled (Miller's Creek #2)
  • My Stubborn Heart
  • Texas Whirlwind
  • Talk of the Town (Daily Texas, #1)
  • Out of Control (Kincaid Brides, #1)
  • Saving Hope (Men of the Texas Rangers #1)
  • Beautiful Bandit (Lone Star Legends, #1)
  • The Narrow Path
  • But For Grace
  • Making Waves (Lake Manawa Summers #1)
  • Tomorrow's Sun (Lost Sanctuary #1)
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • Finders Keepers
Emily's Chance (The Callahans of Texas, #2) Megan's Hero (The Callahans of Texas, #3) Love Song (Palisades Pure Romance) Antiques (Palisades Pure Romance) Home Sweet Texas

“She's trollin' for a breadwinner and uses a short skirt for bait.” 4 likes