Start by marking “Jenna's Cowboy (The Callahans of Texas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jenna's Cowboy (The Callahans of Texas, #1)

Jenna's Cowboy (The Callahans of Texas #1)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  4,726 Ratings  ·  382 Reviews
Can you ever get a second chance at your first love?

Jenna Callahan Colby thought she was content. A partner on her father's successful ranch, she is surrounded by family and friends. But she never expected to see Nate Langley back in town—the first guy she ever noticed, the one her father sent away all those years ago.

And she never thought the attraction they felt would be
Published January 1st 2010 by Revell

To ask other readers questions about Jenna's Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jenna's Cowboy

Candace
Mar 19, 2012 Candace rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-on-kindle
Pretty good. There are a lot of references to Christianity/sprituality, etc. While I realize it is a Christian romance novel there seemed to be an almost excessive amount of Christian references. While I appreciate that the characters relied on God and their faith to see them through hard times, occasionally it seemed a bit unrealistic.

This book almost made it seem like it was easy to trust God in tough times and easy to pray through worries and they would just go away. I tend to prefer characte
Mar 06, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing

What happens when you leave your kindle at home on a beach trip? You get the book your sister just finished.

Very sweet love story with God at the center, so you know this is G rated.

Jenna and Nate had been friends in high school, but Nate was too afraid to ask her out (plus her Dad scared him away). Nate comes back years later after being wounded in the military. Now he asks her out and they begin dating. Nate suffers from PTSD, but gets help from her Dad, their pastor and a doctor.

I
Sarita
Jun 26, 2015 Sarita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
Not your everyday cowboy story.

For the first 40% of the book I enjoyed the story and was glad that Jenna and Nate's Love story actually started in high school and not one of thoat fast-see the person-fall in love-misunderstanding-reconciliation-happy-ending-love-story. I enjoyed the story but didn't have that can't-put-the-book-down feeling. It took me some time to get used to the Cowboy/Texas talk and phrases like: eating crow and squeezing the stuffing out of me.

That changed for the last 40% o
Kellie Maddox-Ward
Apr 05, 2012 Kellie Maddox-Ward rated it did not like it
Shelves: cowboys
I should have realized this book was not for me waayyyy before I did.
What kind of Cowboy doesn't drink beer, talk sh*t and mess around? A Christian cowboy that's who.

I didn't mind so much when I found out this was a Christian romance( note to self research books first, but it was free on amazon) I really wouldn't of minded if the praying and praising wasn't what made majority of the storyline!

I liked the idea of this story, a reunited love. Jenna a divorcee and Nate a war hero with PTSD, and
Kit
Mar 19, 2013 Kit rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Military families
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this book. I assumed it was a romance. What I have to comment about this book is that it hit really hard at home for me. Nate was a Iraqi war veteran. He served two tours; one in Iraq and the other in Afganistan. He suffers from PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). It goes into the struggles he faces every day from: nightmares, to jumping at every little sound and shadow, panic attacks, fear of fire, loss in memory, short temper and anger iss ...more
Ursula Gorman
Jenna's Cowboy...is FANTASTIC!!! This is one of the best books I've read in a long time! It is heartwarming, touching, moving, sweet and tender!
Jenna is going through a trial; trying to adjust as a single mom after divorcing her cheating husband. She has built a wall around her heart.
Nate is goign through his own trial; trying to adjust to life after the military. He's afraid to get too close to anyone, afraid he'll hurt them during the flashbacks he has from his time in the military.
Both of t
Babs
Apr 11, 2012 Babs rated it it was amazing
Jenna and her young son live on her parents ranch. After a bad divorce she needed to come home and regroup. She is now a partner running her father's ranch along with her brothers.

Nate Langley comes back home after 2 tours over in Iraq. He wasn't expecting to see Jenna so soon after coming home for good. He and Jenna were old friends from high school and at one time cared for each other. Of course Jenna would never have known how he felt then as he kept to himself.

The two meet up and the roman
Elizabeth
Sep 01, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
this is a simple straightforward love story, that for me started out strong, with characters that I immediately enjoyed reading about.

Towards the end, though the the story got bogged down. I'm not even sure what it was about the story that made it feel that way.

I felt as though the religious aspect of it was forced, thrown in at various times as though it was a prerequisite. That the author gave herself a goal to have so many references about God ,prayer, and religion in her book.

I greatly en
Aubrey Hansen
I didn't finish this novel, so I'm not giving it a star rating, but I wanted to review it and explain why I didn't finish reading it.

Why? Because there was no plot.

I'll confess that I usually don't read romance novels. Actually, I think this is my first legit one. So clearly I'm not the target audience for this book, and my perception is biased accordingly. But what turned me off from this book wasn't the romance--it was the fact that there wasn't anything else besides the romance.

3 chapters in
Lynne Stringer
I considered giving this book only two stars, but the ending just scraped it into three. It took forever to get going, and even when it did get going, there didn't seem to be a great deal happening. A lot of time was spent detailing life on a ranch and how to pick cotton, and while I don't have a problem with some of this, as it sets the scene and provides atmosphere, I felt it was overdone.
Also, while the subject of PTSD is an important one and worthy of attention, I felt the issues concerned w
Sara Cardon
May 16, 2016 Sara Cardon rated it really liked it
Ms. Gillenwater nails West Texas in this contemporary romance. I'm so impressed with her ability to take me back to my roots and all the "good old boys" way of talking. Plus the environment from home decor to business to schools and community. Nicely done. And not overdone. The book starts from Nate's perspective and he has a strong, distinctive written voice. There is a LOT of Christian talk, but it reads authentic to me, since many 3rd generation+ Texans think and talk like that. A sweet, old ...more
Loraine
Apr 15, 2012 Loraine rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, kindle
I began reading this book and thought it was going to be the typical cowboy romance. I had to admit I was ultimately surprised when this novel had some real depth as it dealt with Nate's PTSD after returning from a couple of tours of duty in Afghanistan. The author obviously did her research and incorporated her knowledge re PTSD through the storyline very adeptly. I could readily understand both Nate's feelings and Jenna's reactions as my husband served in VietNam and had a few minor reactions ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in The Callahans of Texas series by Sharon Gillenwater. Nate Langley returns to town after serving in the army over in the middle east. He gets a job working at Jenna Callahan Colby's family ranch. Nate has to deal with PTSD and Jenna has her own issues with her divorce and being a single mom.

This was a kindle freebie and it started slow for me but it turned out alright.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jan 19, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Christian Romance enthusiasts
Recommended to Mollie *scoutrmom* by: won in Goodreads contest
Meredith
May 02, 2012 Meredith rated it it was ok
This book was so sweet...and innocent, and pretty well written too. I read this book because I just got a Kindle, and I could download it for free. I could have easily just read the first few pages and left it, but instead I read it all while on two long plane rides. So, while it might not earn any mainstream critical acclaim, I enjoyed it. I'd also read other books in the series.

This novel is set in Texas, and that was part of the appeal for me (having grown up in Texas). There was a whole cha
Highland-dreamer
Kame
Feb 08, 2012 Kame rated it it was amazing
A wonderful love inspired christian romance that tackles how our returning veterans must pick up their lives and make a new. Jenna is Nate's boss's daughter and best friend's sister and he has loved her since High School. But Dad told him he wasn't good enough - that was before he went off to war and became a decorated war hero. But because of emotional scars from battle Nate is not sure if he can ever be the right one for Jenna. Jenna married the boy her Dad thought was headed for big things - ...more
Cheryl
Jan 17, 2010 Cheryl rated it liked it
Nate Langley has returned to Callahan Crossing. He was off fighting in the war. He is ready to come home and enjoy some peace and quiet.

Jenna Callahan Colby and her son Zach are content living on her family’s ranch, after a failed marriage. Jenna thought she had everything her heart desired…till she saw Nate. Jenna and Nate were high school sweethearts but Jenna’s father felt that Nate wasn’t good enough for Jenna and sent him packing.

Now Jenna and Nate are all grown up. Can these two reconnec
Diana
Mar 01, 2011 Diana rated it really liked it
Jenna has returned home, broken hearted with her son to heal. Her marriage has ended and she no longer feels like the homecoming queen who left town.

Nate has returned home too. The former football store is now a war hero plagued with post traumatic distress. Nate has always been in love with Jenna, but her father warned him away from her years earlier because he wanted something more for his only daughter.

Jenna and Nate reconnect as friends wanting more, but first Nate must overcome the demons f
Gail
Jun 30, 2012 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book about Jenna and Nate! Nate had been in the war and was injured with PTSD, sent home and having to learn to live with an injured leg and his "always there" reactions to loud noises, fire, and anything causing his PTSD to cause a reaction, not knowing what or when it might happen!
He goes back to town where Jenna and he grew up and Jenna had gotten married and had a child but now was divorced and living with her parents on their ranch! Both he and Jenna had always had a "
Rachel
The characters were actually really likealbe. I wanted to be into this story because of that alone! Alas while things started out pretty good (note I didn't realize this was a christian book when I started) it got to be too much before the halfway mark. The christian rhetoric just went from a pleasant part of the story to up and up and up and hit come on now for me.

I had a pretty good chuckle when she expounded about her 2 yr. old's language skills being "off the chart". Perhaps spend some more
Nancy Steinle gummel
Jenna's Cowboy by Sharon Gillenwater is a decent christian read. It has the western feel for that genre, it's got romance for the romance lover and it has God for the christian viewpoint. It's a lovely little story. Our hero Nate, is a true life hero from his deploy in Iraq. He returns home to help his parents farm and also takes employment on the Callahan ranch as he did as a teenager. He's had a crush on Dub Callahan's daughter for as long as he can remember. Nate also suffers from PTSD - post ...more
Carman
Jan 06, 2010 Carman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book will really touch you. Nate’s struggles with PTSD will make you think more about the people who risk their lives to defend our country. I had never spent much time thinking about the side-effects of war and the stress that a person would be under in those situations. Jenna’s Cowboy made me even more appreciative of people like Nate who so bravely fight for us. The patriotism in these books is truly inspiring. I loved all the characters in this book! Jenna may have been hurt in the past ...more
Aerykah
Just finished this one and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Reading about the struggles of 2 military veterans dealing with PTSD helped me understand some of what my grandpa and uncle went through in the Philippines and Vietnam, not to mention what our soldiers are going through now.
A couple things I especially liked: it showed a father who wasn't afraid to admit his mistakes to his children and apologize for them, it also showed a family who encouraged each other to follow God and do what they knew was ri
Jennifer-Eve Workman
Jul 02, 2012 Jennifer-Eve Workman rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Christian Romantics
Recommended to Jennifer-Eve by: Free Kindle Book Offer
This is a very soft "Christian Romance." Not really my cup of tea. There were really no conflicts worth writing about. I'm sure there is a huge audience for a book like this, I'm just not one of them. It's just one of those sappy, overly icky story lines, with no real conflicts. The writing was OK, I'm just not into stories like this one. This will be a short review because frankly it's too exhausting to put the effort into it...
Sydney
Apr 26, 2013 Sydney rated it did not like it
This very easily could have been a great story unfortunately it falls short. It is very simple writing and you feel like your reading more of a summary of the lives of the characters rather than in the story with them. There is great detail in how to herd cows or exactly how someone loads the dishwasher or the exact number of dishes in the sink and exactly what each dish is, but no detail in anything that would actually build up the world or characters.
Morgan
Dec 07, 2012 Morgan rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
The story was intriguing and the topic of PTSD timely, but the heavy handed Christian message combined with a tendency to *tell not show* really killed it for me. The PTSD affected hero needs to be put out there more as more men and women return from war. I don't mind inspirational when I'm prepared, but usually I find that in the interest of delivering the good word, it interferes with the pacing. So, yes, it was okay. Could have been far more engaging.
SheLove2Read
Sep 30, 2011 SheLove2Read rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
This started out interesting but the second half was a cheese fest, even for an inspirational read. I was disappointed because the heroine's brother's book (Megan's Chance) was pretty good.
2 stars / D+
Nikki Rich
Aug 07, 2012 Nikki Rich rated it liked it
I'm actually currently reading the book. But I put "read" because although it's a cute story, it's very predictable. A girl hurt by love gets reintroduced to an old friend with an old crush.
Of course they'll end up together.
Dee/ bookworm
Mar 28, 2016 Dee/ bookworm rated it it was ok
This book started out good, but was very preachy and towards the end they were really trying to fit in too many messages. Now each message was important and they took on a couple of big problems but it really got muddled down.
  • The Narrow Path
  • A Texan's Promise (Heart of a Hero #1)
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • Cowboy (The Harmony Series #1)
  • Texas Roads (Miller's Creek #1)
  • Beautiful Bandit (Lone Star Legends, #1)
  • Wyatt: Return of the Cowboy
  • To Love Anew (Sydney Cove, #1)
  • Always the Designer, Never the Bride (Emma Rae Creations, #3)
  • Texas Whirlwind
  • Surrendered Hearts
  • Talk of the Town (Daily Texas, #1)
  • A Time for Peace (Quilts of Lancaster County, #3)
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • Ready or Not (Aggie's Inheritance, #1)
  • Hanchart Land
  • My Stubborn Heart
  • Paper Roses (Texas Dreams, #1)

The Callahans of Texas (3 books)
  • Emily's Chance (The Callahans of Texas, #2)
  • Megan's Hero (The Callahans of Texas, #3)

“She's trollin' for a breadwinner and uses a short skirt for bait.” 5 likes