Start by marking “Dark Reign: Young Avengers” as Want to Read:
Dark Reign: Young Avengers

Dark Reign: Young Avengers (Young Avengers Dark Reign)

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  981 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The Melter, The Executioner, The Enchantress, Egghead, Big Zero, and Coat of Arms: they call themselves the Young Avengers, teenage rebels, on the run from the authorities, hated and feared by a world they've sworn to protect. Their interests include interspecies romance, modern art, and bloody murder. Everything is permitted, and so are they. Until they meet the original ...more
Published January 6th 2010 by Marvel (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Reign, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Reign

Hero by Perry MooreLove for the Cold-Blooded, or The Part-Time Evil Minion's Gui... by Alex GabrielRise of Heroes by Hayden ThorneEvolution by Hayden ThorneOrdinary Champions by Hayden Thorne
Best SuperQueeroes/SuperVillains Books
27th out of 71 books — 104 voters
Avengers Legends, Vol. 1 by Kurt BusiekThe New Avengers, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisJLA/Avengers by Kurt BusiekAvengers Assemble, Vol. 1 by Kurt BusiekThe Avengers by Roy Thomas
Best of the Avengers
42nd out of 176 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
Oct 14, 2013 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I am not a fan of the Dark Reign stuff. Not at all. I only read this because I've gotten absurdly attached to the Young Avengers team. It wasn't terrible, which is what I'd been afraid of. But the majority of the book focuses on the new "Young Avengers" (who aren't exactly Osborn certified, so I don't know what they were thinking) that pretty much show up out of nowhere. Naturally, like with other Dark Reign imposter teams, most of the new, fake Young Avengers mirror the real Young Avengers. The ...more
Sophie
Jul 18, 2010 Sophie rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I love the Young Avengers. I love them as much as I loved the early issues of Geoff Johns' Teen Titans, and that's saying something. Great characters and some great team interactions. Characters who obviously care about each other.

That said, this one.. had its problems. It's part of Dark Reign, so that's one of the reasons. There's a new group of young superheroes calling themselves Young Avengers, but they're not all that heroic. That, of course, means conflict with the original Young Avengers
Kyle W. Kerr
Sep 14, 2014 Kyle W. Kerr rated it really liked it
Definitely missed something critical here, because I've definitely never heard of Norman Osborn's Avengers. Interesting story, though. Some nice internal conflict with some of the characters, especially The Melter. Would love to see more of the Young Avengers!
Syd
May 23, 2014 Syd rated it did not like it
Dark Reign was pretty awful, often cringe worthy, and failed to accomplish whatever it is they were hoping to do with it. Maybe if the series was longer and spent more time on how the Young Avengers felt about the new team and themselves it would have been much better. Over all it fell flat and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that enjoys Young Avengers.
Lauren
Mar 04, 2014 Lauren rated it it was ok
Out of all the young avengers comics I've read so far (which is pretty much all of them) this is the worst. Now, don't get me wrong, the real young avengers were as awesome as always and I'd still recommend this just for them alone and the art style was interesting. The reason this didn't get a bigger score from me is because of the "new" young avengers.

The characters were not fleshed out, I cringed so hard multiple times, and I just felt....unsatisfied. Even now as I'm sitting at my computer,
Mitchell
Lost and confused, which is kind of what you get with a Marvel Universe event like Dark Reign when it falls on a book like Young Avengers. It is still a Young Avengers story, character and backstory driven. But these other Young Avengers come out of nowhere and they just aren't very interesting.
TinTin Kalaw
Jan 04, 2016 TinTin Kalaw rated it it was ok
The Young Avengers meet their evil-ish counterparts (especially for the case of Stature, Vision, and Hawkeye)! This series focuses more on the perspective of the "new" Young Avengers as they try do what "heroes" do.

Overall, it was an okay read if you're like me who wants to read all the titles with the Young Avengers in it. I like the artwork and the witty way the dialogue was passed from one set of characters to another set (the one with "--an Avenger!").
KV Taylor
I didn't really bother with the whole Dark Reign thing. Marvel and I were having one of our "we're not speaking" moments and Norman Osborne makes me want to shove hot nails through my eyes in general. (JMS is to blame. It's true.) That said, I was kind of trying to patch up holes in my Young Avengers collection and thought, ah the heck with it... in spite of the sheer weirdness of this cover.

(To Cornell's credit, Billy never flirted back. But come on, man.)

This starts out with a great concept, t
Finn
Aug 18, 2011 Finn rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I think this is a must-read for anyone who's familiar with the Young Avengers. It requires some basic knowledge about their history and about the whole Dark Reign meta-plot [insert "Argh I hate big crossover megaplots" rant here]. I found most of the antagonists new and interesting. Mark Brooks' pencils are dynamic and expressive, if a bit pinup-y.

What impressed me most about this book is that it takes a serious look at the nature of superheroes. In the interest of avoiding spoilers, I'll just s
Shannon Appelcline
Oct 28, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Cornell does something pretty amazing here. He introduces a new group of heroes, but with connections to past supervillains instead of to past Avengers. Then over five issues, he slowly reveals some of their secrets, all the while treating them as very real, interesting, and conflicted characters. It’s pretty much Heinberg’s model for the original Young Avengers, but with an interesting new spin.

In the overall book, the actual Young Avengers get a bit of a gloss, but when they appear they still
Sunil
Nov 27, 2013 Sunil rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
More like Young Assholes! During Dark Reign, the Young Avengers also get evil counterparts, and while the first issue is disorienting for focusing so much on these new characters, the miniseries ends up being surprisingly strong, better than the Runaways crossovers. Coat of Arms, a Norman Osborn fangirl (and artist) who finds a magical coat, is the best new character, and I'd be interested in seeing her again. The other team members also have good stories. I enjoyed the interaction between the t ...more
Jasmine
Oct 28, 2014 Jasmine rated it it was ok
Ugh. It seemed like it was going somewhere cool with Coat of Arms staging reenactments! Pretentious performance art is completely my jam! Questioning what it means to be a superhero is also my jam! And then it just forgot what it was doing in the interest of advancing the story lines of the two white boy dark!YA and...fell flat on its face. Shame.

Also, can we talk about Enchantress's tits? I love boobs, I really do, artist, could you maybe not? It was bad enough with the weird flirty thing going
Tedo Lake
Jul 02, 2015 Tedo Lake rated it liked it
I really only got it due to the fact that Young Avengers and I needed to quench my WICCAN+HULKLING FEELS but yeah wow. Not centered around him and holy esh Enchantress can you not? Please?
Mely
Feb 05, 2012 Mely rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, read-seq-art
It feels like significant character development took place in some series not labeled 'Young Avengers' -- maybe one of the Initiative storylines? (Never mind, Secret Invasion comes before Dark Reign.) Anyway, this story of the Young Avengers meeting their Dark doubles is interesting and fun and has great quips. Subtracting a star because the subtext seems to be that real heroes are the people who have don't have doubts, with some 'hereditary is destiny' thrown in, and I'm way more in favor of st ...more
Au
Jan 19, 2014 Au rated it really liked it
The ending was underwhelming but overall, I enjoyed this miniseries and the new characters it featured!
Rachael
Jan 21, 2011 Rachael rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, 2011
I probably would have liked this more if I knew what was happening in regular continuity at the time or even who the Young Avengers were, but my comic godfather looked over my shoulder and helped me work it out. I'll read the Ultimate Collection next and probably appreciate this even more.

As always, Cornell's characterization is dynamic and fascinating. The art could have had less boobs. Overall good stuff.
Sonic
Jul 06, 2010 Sonic rated it it was ok
I thought this started out really well, exploring an alternate amoral young avengers but then it got muddy as these team books usually are, and then I felt it was resolved in an implausible way. Plus the whole amoral vs. moral thing which promised to be so good ended up being handled in a trite sort of way, ... so I would give this 2 and 1/2 stars.
Joe
Jul 30, 2014 Joe rated it it was ok
So here is the deal.
There seems to be this new short-cut on words and development in comics lately [that I don't like].
As if parts of conversations are accepted [like facts in evidence]. It doesn't work for me.
This GN has a lot of that going on...

The story almost felt throw away.
The ending really was.

sorry if you feel different.

Skip it.
Brenna
Jun 08, 2013 Brenna rated it it was ok
This was the first comic of the Young Avengers that I truly felt we could do without. I hope this is just a filler because if this 'new group' of Avengers comes back in any new Young Avengers comics I might stop reading them.

The art was good, there was some good humor in spots but honestly just skip this and go on to Children's Crusade.
Heather
Sep 18, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
I'm not a fan of the Dark Reign stuff, but I decided to read this one because I adore the Young Avengers so much. I wasn't really impressed because nothing remotely interesting or relevant happened. The art was still amazing though.
Martin
Wow, I really didn't like this one. Out of all I've read of the Young Avengers this was by far the least satisfactory. Like others have said, the problem are not the Young Avengers, but the new Young Avengers who are so annoying and sadly uninteresting...
Dorkthropology
Oct 25, 2014 Dorkthropology rated it did not like it
Decided to read it for the sake of completionism. Wish I hadn't.
Ahmed
Jun 17, 2012 Ahmed rated it really liked it
3.5/5

This is sorta somewhere between Zuko and Jet. And the typical Dark Reign feel, of course. Still enjoyed the original YA, though, and Coat was interesting.

Also, Eli saying "Yes we can." BAHAHAHAHA!
Jade
Feb 15, 2013 Jade rated it did not like it
I usually like the young avengers, but the team of young avengers wannabees made my skin crawl. Kate Bishops said that she feels like they could infect them at some point & I totally agreed.
Lucy
Weirdest thing is, ComicRack says I've read it but I have absolutely no recollection of reading it.
Angela
Jun 03, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
The beginnings of a new team, very well written, and has a british sensibility.
Username
Aug 01, 2012 Username rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, comics
Rachel
Sep 01, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it
Weird. Not into it.
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
What's up with that? 1 9 Jul 22, 2010 06:22PM
  • Young Avengers Presents (Young Avengers Presents)
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 2: Family Matters (Young Avengers, #2)
  • Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 12: Powerloss
  • Avengers Academy, Vol 2: Will We Use This in the Real World?
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Journey into Mystery: The Manchester Gods
  • X-Factor: Second Coming
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 7: Dark Reign
Paul Cornell is a British writer of science fiction and fantasy prose, comics and television. He's been Hugo Award-nominated for all three media, and has won the BSFA Award for his short fiction, and the Eagle Award for his comics. He's the writer of Saucer Country for Vertigo, Demon Knights for DC, and has written for the Doctor Who TV series. His new urban fantasy novel is London Falling, out fr ...more
More about Paul Cornell...

Young Avengers (10 books)
  • Young Avengers Special #1 One-Shot
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 1: Sidekicks (Young Avengers, #1)
  • Young Avengers, Vol. 2: Family Matters (Young Avengers, #2)
  • Young Avengers (Hardcover)
  • Civil War: Young Avengers/Runaways
  • Young Avengers Presents (Young Avengers Presents)
  • Secret Invasion: Runaways/Young Avengers