Start by marking “To the Golden Shore: The Life of Adoniram Judson” as Want to Read:
To the Golden Shore: The Life of Adoniram Judson

To the Golden Shore: The Life of Adoniram Judson

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  698 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
This compelling story of unwavering faith traces the conflicts of Judson's early life to the hardships he endured in Burma.
Published October 1st 1988 by Judson Press (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about To the Golden Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To the Golden Shore

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomThrough Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth ElliotThe Heavenly Man by Paul HattawayGod's Smuggler by Brother AndrewSurprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Biography/Autobiography
32nd out of 207 books — 97 voters
Bruchko by Bruce OlsonPeace Child by Don RichardsonThrough Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth ElliotGod's Smuggler by Brother AndrewThe Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson
Great Missionary Stories
68th out of 101 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

Charles
Jul 02, 2015 Charles rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. It was a book that I "looked forward to". That has been very rare for me recently, probably as a result of the number of books required for my current seminary classes.

I am a huge fan of historical narrative (whether embellished or not, this proclaiming to be the latter), and this book really fit the bill. It gives great insight into the mind of Adoniram and the development of his thoughts and views throughout his life. It does not aim t
Regan Walker
Jan 19, 2015 Regan Walker rated it it was amazing
A wonderful biography of the life of Adoniram Judson, missionary to Burma and of the women who stood by his side. Drawing upon original sources, letters and journals, the actual accounts of those 18th and 19th century events are recorded in very readable style. Highly recommended.
Emma Lambert
Dec 13, 2014 Emma Lambert rated it it was amazing
To the Golden Shore is a biography by Courtney Anderson on Adoniram Judson, a Congregationalist (later converts to Baptist) missionary with a call to preach and live God's word among the natives of Burma, a cruel and arrogant people. Through the book one will read of Adoniram's trials, hopes, and dreams in not only missionary work, but also marriage and fatherhood.

I do so very much like the layout of the book as, unlike many other biographies, when telling the story of Adoniram, Anderson (the au
Mark A Powell
Jan 22, 2014 Mark A Powell rated it it was amazing
Here is the story of Adoniram Judson, among the first American missionaries. At 500 pages, Anderson may be thorough to a fault, however the Judson saga is so compelling that only a few sections drag. While Judson was far from perfect, a fact Anderson does not hide (though he tends toward hagiography at times) his life bears witness to the grace of Christ he not only shared with others but fiercely clung to himself. Highly recommended.
ExtremeBibliophile
Oct 14, 2015 ExtremeBibliophile rated it really liked it
A biography of the early 19th century missionary to Burma (now known as Myanmar), and any romanticized notions I may have had about foreign missionary service were completely upended by this. Judson was a highly erudite young man-about-town who although nominally a Christian, was at first more interested in pursuing a secular career. The twists and turns of his life and how he became a pioneering missionary in one of the most brutal countries on earth make for compelling reading. Warning: many ...more
Eric
Dec 29, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing
In a country where punishments were some of the bloodiest on earth (beheading, crucifixtion, pouring melted lead down the throat in small quantities), where the "Golden Feet" (the King) took the choice possessions of its inhabitants, and lies and deception where commonly accepted, Adonirom Judson worked tirelessly with his wife to learn the language, translate the Bible, translate catechism, create tracts, and hold worship services to save the people of Burma (modern day Myanmar) from spiritual ...more
John
Sep 04, 2011 John rated it really liked it
"To the Golden Shore" is a biography of Adoniram Judson (1788-1850), one of the first foreign missionaries from the United States, one of the first missionaries to Burma (now Myanmar), and the first to translate the Bible into Burmese. He suffered extraordinary hardships along the way: persecution; imprisonment; torture; recurrent, serious illnesses; the deaths of his first two wives; the deaths of most of his children.
Courtney Anderson, who wrote this in 1956, tells the story with unblinking ho
Debbie
This is an inspiring biography of the first missionary to Burma, Adoniram Judson. Rich in detail, the book showcases the tremendous challenges Judson faced. And the takeaway lessons of complete reliance on God and indomitable faith are a challenge to comfortable Christianity.
Kristie
Jul 21, 2015 Kristie rated it it was amazing
This book is in my all time top ten! It is powerful, convicting and inspiring. I think this should be required reading for all Christians. I was moved to tears at the suffering of the Judson family and inspired by their faith and love for the lost. They followed Christ's call no matter the cost. I would give this book ten stars if I could.
Clydie
Apr 28, 2015 Clydie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned firsthand what being a missionary is -- oh, how used of God! And, yet, this is so revealing in how our sinful nature conflicts with our desires to serve God!
Linda B.D.
Apr 09, 2014 Linda B.D. rated it it was amazing
This was NOT just about one or two people. It was about how the Baptist Religion first began. Why do many people call their deacons "Brother John or Brother ..." ? This books tells how that all started. It is rich in details of the war of Britain & Burma. It also explains about the First Congregationalist Church was started. It is also a biography, but has a lot more than that. It has love, marriage, children, death, war, East India Trading Company (A very big deal), Burma, America before Te ...more
Crini
Feb 01, 2015 Crini rated it it was amazing
I think this is a must read for any missionary who dares to leave the comfort of his home and go to other counties.
Rebecca
Apr 06, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
This is a really long book, but it was fascinating reading. It tells the true adventures of one of the very first missionary's from the United States. Adoniram Judson left the US in 1812 with the intention of never coming back from the mission field. He didn't know WHICH mission field he and his young wife would end up in, but he was so committed that he never looked back. After many misadventures they ended up in Burma, which was ruled by an absolute despot. It was amazing to read about how the ...more
Neal Dearyan
Jun 11, 2015 Neal Dearyan rated it it was amazing
Oh to have the courage of this incredible man. Inspiring. May our resolve be as strong!
Chris Frohling
Jan 02, 2016 Chris Frohling rated it it was amazing
Amazing story of Adoniram Judson
Valerie Basham
Sep 27, 2015 Valerie Basham rated it it was amazing
Excellent bio of Adoniram Judson. Words cannot fully express what a blessing this book was to my life. He was a regular man who served an amazing God - the same God I am blessed to know! What a thought!
The Scroll
Dec 04, 2014 The Scroll rated it it was amazing
Excellent!
B
Jan 06, 2011 B rated it really liked it
A great look at the man and the missionary. I could really understand and empathize with his struggles with confidence & despair as things really didn't go well for a long time. It also did a great job of telling the stories of his wives, who were all remarkable women & who I am now really interested in reading about themselves. One drawback was I really had to force myself to get through the beginning chapters because the narrative of his childhood is almost written as if it was to some ...more
Larry Wilson
Jul 24, 2012 Larry Wilson rated it it was amazing
I was told this is a must read and I was not disappointed. I appreciate biographies that bring out not only note worthy achievements of the individual but also their weaknesses and struggles. My wife and I enjoyed reading this book together and we would highly recommend it - it is both captivating and inspirational. As one of the first American foreign missionaries, Judson departed for Burma in 1812 with others whom he inspired. His life story and passion for the Gospel ought not to be forgotten ...more
Jennifer McMaster
I am always inspired by missionary biographies and read as many to my children as possible so that they can hear about the faith and sacrifice so many missionaries have portrayed. Adoniram Judson's life is full of sorrow, tragedy and persecution but it is made clear that through all of it, God refines Him into a more mature, godly Christian. Although I was disappointed in the author's reference (2 or 3 times) to something being an "omen", this was a very thorough biography of Judson's life.
Smuel Mackereth
Oct 03, 2012 Smuel Mackereth rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the most challenging book I have ever read, the life of Judson is ably, if sometimes with a little over-analysis, presented as a challenge to lazy Christianity. Whilst it is not a pocket sized book it is hard to put down and very engaging, the more Christians know about and grasp the challenge of the lives of Judson and other missionaries the better.
Matt Moran
Feb 04, 2009 Matt Moran rated it liked it
Hopefully Matt & Erin like this book a little more than I did, since we gave it to them for Christmas. I just finished this for a missions class I took this January.

Judson is a great story of missionary perseverance. What bothered me was the author's tendency not to deal honestly with Judson's faults and to blatantly make up anecdotes about his life.
Brian Collins
Oct 05, 2013 Brian Collins rated it liked it
This is an engaging biography of Judson. However it is not annotated, leaving the reader to wonder at times about the source for dialogue or the reporting of the thoughts of certain characters. Nonetheless the broad outlines are accurate and general sources are provided. The book is devotional and spiritually challenging.
Mark
Mar 02, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it
To the Golden Shore is such a stirring account of Judson's life! Anderson's biography is informed and well-written. It is also the biography that John Piper read to prepare for his sermon on his life. If you are willing to work through the 500+ pages, this is the biography to get on the life of Adoniram Judson.
Suzanne Otwell
Sep 04, 2013 Suzanne Otwell rated it it was amazing
Truly inspiring. This story is written in the format of a novel, in a sense that it keeps you on the edge of your seat and draws you into specific details, which is rare for a biography. I give this 5 stars because it is one of the best stories I've ever read. I highly recommend it!
Emily
Sep 12, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Meticulous history of Adoniram's life. A little dry, but God's strength and provision are evident between the lines. Adoniram's courage and perseverance are clearly seen in the details of his life. A long, but worthwhile read.
Andy Anderson
Jul 19, 2010 Andy Anderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: missions
my life as missionary is nothing compared to Judson. His passion to reach Burma was incredible. A must read for anyone interested in knowing about missions, passion and the cost of following Christ....
Becky Hintz
Feb 24, 2013 Becky Hintz rated it it was amazing
An excellent missionary biography. A remarkable man with three amazing wives! In addition to his life, this author gave a good sense of the place and culture he was trying to reach. A classic.
Carolyn
Jun 02, 2011 Carolyn rated it liked it
The story is very slow, but a thorough covering of Adoniram's life... at least what I read of it before I left it on an airplane by accident! Unfortunately it was borrowed too...
Amy
Dec 02, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok
Reads more like a history book than an insight into the faith of the Judsons. Definitely has some gripping parts, but not something I would read more than once.
  • Jonathan Edwards: A New Biography
  • John G. Paton: Missionary to the New Hebrides
  • The Life and Diary of David Brainerd
  • Oswald Chambers Abandoned to God: The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest
  • C. T. Studd, Cricketer and Pioneer
  • The Journals of Jim Elliot
  • Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther
  • Jonathan Edwards
  • Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson
  • The Autobiography of George Muller
  • Mimosa: A True Story
  • My Heart in His Hands: Ann Judson of Burma
  • Jungle Pilot: The Gripping Story of the Life and Witness of Nate Saint, Martyred Missionary to Ecuador
  • Robert Murray M'cheyne
  • Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret
  • If I Perish
  • Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman
  • George Whitefield: The Life and Times of the Great Evangelist of the Eighteenth-Century Revival - Volume I

“There were two worlds, two lives, for each person: this one--brief, narrow, finite; and the hereafter-- eternal, limitless, infinite. Fame, to mean anything, should go with one into the next world, where one could enjoy it perpetually.” 3 likes
“I wish you believe, not for myprofit, but for yours. I daily pray the true God give you light, that you may believe. Whether you will ever believe in tis world I do not know, but when you die I know you will believe what I now say. You will then appear before God you now deny. - Adorinam Judson to his Burman teacher.” 0 likes