Start by marking “The Wizards And The Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)” as Want to Read:
The Wizards And The Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)

The Wizards And The Warriors (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness #1)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  409 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The Confederation of Wizards is forced to put aside its long-standing historical dispute with the inhabitants of Rovac. Instead, both must join together in a common cause, to prevent the utter destruction of their world. They face two perils: the Swarms, and a power that turns living things to stone and brings rocks to life.
Published 1987 by Corgi

Pawn of Prophecy by David EddingsMagician by Raymond E. FeistThe Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyGuardians of the West by David EddingsQueen of Sorcery by David Eddings
Best Fantasy of the 80s
139th out of 232 books — 366 voters
Mage's Burden by Whit McClendonSwords and Deviltry by Fritz LeiberThe Fish the Fighters and the Song-Girl by Janet E. MorrisThe Sacred Band by Janet E. MorrisA Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Best Sword and Sorcery
93rd out of 126 books — 182 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan Schwent
Miphon, Garash, and Phyphor, members of the Confederation of Wizards, join forces with Elkor Alish and Morgan Hearst, Rovac warriors and sworn enemies of the Confederation, to slay the wizard Heenmor and retrieve the death-stone he stole from the Dry Pit. Only nothing is ever as simple as it seems. Feelings of greed and jealousy taint the party. If they retrieve the death-stone, can any of them resist the temptation to use it?

The Wizards & The Warriors is the first of The Chronicles of an Ag
Ed
Jul 05, 2011 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I had never heard of Hugh Cook until Paizo's recent reprint of The Walrus and the Warwolf, which I later found out was the fourth (or possibly fifth if you are American) volume in his mammoth Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, his series from the 1980s, and my interest even then was only piqued because I noticed that China Mieville had written the introduction to that particular edition.

Chronicles of an Age of Darkness was originally slated as a 20 (!) book series to be followed by two more serie
Terry
Mar 12, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of the fantasy genre looking for something new
Recommended to Terry by: The three Dans
Shelves: fantasy
With a title like _The Wizards and the Warriors_ I would normally have steered clear of this book for the foreseeable future. I’m not overly snobbish, I think, but it just brings to mind so many B-movies of the fantasy genre from the late 70’s and early 80’s starring has-beens or never-will-bes that I wouldn’t have expected much of it and would certainly not have desired to plow through 500+ pages of what I would have at most expected to be mildly entertaining, and perhaps moderately wince-induc ...more
Jay Daze
May 31, 2011 Jay Daze rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Great anti-high fantasy with characters who can be brutal, venal and sometimes quite bitchy - the point being they feel like real people rather than idealized slabs of marble or boring every men. Not many female characters running around in this book but I've ordered a slab of futher books in the Chronicles series to hopefully get some great female characters as well.

As far as I can tell each book stands on its own with characters from one book sometimes making appearances in other books - whic
Martin Green
Feb 03, 2013 Martin Green rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I remember reading this series a few years after release, having picked them up in a good second hand bookstore. At first I assumed it would be standard fantasy fare and only bought book one because I was low on alternatives - but, despite the cover art and blurbs that suggested that the publisher only wished it were standard fantasy fare, I was hooked by the author's refusal to observe genre conventions. In fact the series is subversive of the genre, although this may be due to Cook's own uniqu ...more
Daniel
May 09, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it
Compared to books 2 and 4 (which I read previous to this one), this opening volume of the Chronicles is riddled with slow spots that interrupt the otherwise-hectic pace of story. The fact that he is juggling multiple perspectives may be a contributing factor in this regard. I wonder if Cook was still getting his feet wet as a fantasy writer.

Cook's fearsome imagination is again in full gear, and some scenes will stay with me for life. Cook also tugs the story this way and that with little warnin
Zivan
Sep 09, 2013 Zivan rated it it was amazing
Hugh Cook inserts some reality into his Fantasy.

While the setting is fantastic, Cook makes sure to break our expectations of a regular fantasy adventure, with his less than heroic heroes and less than clear path to ultimate goal.

My favorite scene is a battle where we first hear about the general's well laid plans and then watch them crumble in the face of reality.
So many books place a brilliant commander in charge and then you watch his brilliant plan unfold like clockwork. Hugh Cook is way beyo
Ben
Aug 07, 2015 Ben rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-noir
Before the was George R.R. Martin, before there was Joe Abercrombie, before there was Steven Erikson, there was Hugh Cook.

I probably would have first read this first book by what was to become my favourite author for many years (and who is still up there in the top three) almost thirty years ago now. On first attempt I did not get into it, but at the time the high point of my reading tastes was David Eddings. I took it away on holiday with me a few months later and with then ended up readin
Christopher
Sep 05, 2013 Christopher rated it it was amazing
steph smith
Jan 13, 2016 steph smith marked it as to-read
why can't I find it in amazon books help?
Kaila
This was ALMOST there for me, but damn did I have to FORCE myself to read it everyday. The last 50 pages were a speed trial as I tried to race to the end just so I could be done.

Mostly it seemed like fantasy ADD as Cook threw idea after idea at us, sometimes with little or no build up (such as the random wizard tower Hearst entered in - set up and denouement all in about 3 pages).

I might actually try book 4 someday; a lot of people seem to recommend that as a good starting place. Probably good
Paul
Oct 30, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
In this book you will find a fantasy story unlike any I have ever read. Hugh Cook manages to put in one novel that many others would turn into a trilogy so much happens in this book.
The wizards are uber powerful, the warriors are flawed but with a strong compass of where their loyalties lay even if puts them against each other or in untenable positions.

I do highly recommend this book I know it is a part of a larger series but it works as a stand alone also
J.m.
Oct 11, 2009 J.m. rated it really liked it
Quirky and resolutely its own thing. The setting is imaginative and the characters grow and twist in interesting ways. Cook's pacing is occasionally odd, with some rushes and jumps, but that helps make the book engaging--Cook knows where he wants his focus to be, so he only bothers with the parts of the story that really interest him. Definitely worth a look.
Timday
Sep 05, 2012 Timday rated it really liked it
4 and a half definately . Hugh's style of writing really suits my reading :0 . swords and wizards - plenty of heavy drinking - and of course with hugh there always seems to be an outbreak of pox :)
he really develops underdog characters you love and will always remember . The magic he uses is unique and always his own . and i have another 6 to read . Nice.
Thomas Müller
May 23, 2013 Thomas Müller rated it it was amazing
The idea of power accumulation has stuck with throughout my gaming years. What a brilliant rationale for wizard immortality this book provided. Here, it is not a goal but a consequence of the way spells are powered.
Leon
Sep 13, 2009 Leon rated it it was amazing
This is fantasy with an eye for the large scale. A mere page spent on a battle, but that gives room for some real exploration of what people might do with magic, and how it would affect the world.
Conway Lai
I read this book as a teenager and loved it. I would like to read this book and the others from Hugh Cook again as an adult to find if my thoughts on it will change.
Darkpool (protesting GR censorship)
I can't remember now how many in this series I managed to read, but ended up losing patience and giving up somewhere around book 5.
Tim
Sep 06, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it
Great book! read it years ago & just got it again second hand (they're the best purchases mind you), so I will read it again.
!Tæmbuŝu
Mar 29, 2012 !Tæmbuŝu marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Reviewed by Fantasy Literature
Jonathan
Aug 17, 2007 Jonathan rated it really liked it
It is good to dream of your family and wake up to find your dream was true.
Rachael
Oct 13, 2008 Rachael marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Sam... I was craving some good old fantasy.
Jörg Baumgartner
Jörg Baumgartner rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Austin
Austin marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Dave Storey
Dave Storey rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
  • The Troll's Grindstone
  • Nifft the Lean
  • The War Of Powers
  • Majestrum (Henghis Hapthorn #1)
  • The Year of Our War (Fourlands #1)
  • Intervention (Intervention #1-2)
  • The Wild (A Requiem For Homo Sapiens, #2)
  • The Wizard in Waiting (Pelman the Powershaper #2)
  • Daughter of Regals and Other Tales
  • The Mountains of Channandran (Winter King's War, #3)
  • Iron Master (Amtrak Wars, #3)
  • Babylon Steel (Babylon Steel, #1)
  • The Paths of the Perambulator (Spellsinger, #5)
  • Showboat World
  • Shadowfane (The Cycle of Fire, #3)
  • Some Will Not Die
  • Shadow on the Sand (Lone Wolf, #5)
  • Dark is the Moon (The View from the Mirror, #3)
Hugh Cook was a cult author whose works blend fantasy and science fiction. He is best known for his epic series The Chronicles of an Age of Darkness.

More about Hugh Cook...

Chronicles of an Age of Darkness (10 books)
  • The Wordsmiths and the Warguild (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #2)
  • The Women And The Warlords
  • The Walrus And The Warwolf
  • The Wicked and the Witless (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #5)
  • The Wishstone and the Wonderworkers (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #6)
  • The Wazir and the Witch
  • The Werewolf and the Wormlord
  • The Worshippers And The Way (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness Volume 9)
  • The Witchlord and the Weaponmaster