Start by marking “Really, Really Big Questions” as Want to Read:
Really, Really Big Questions

Really, Really Big Questions

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Really, Really Big Questions by Stephen Law

Have you ever looked at your dog and wondered what it is really thinking? Or asked yourself if your entire life has been a dream? Prepare to exercise your mind as you investigate these big ideas and more on the roller-coaster ride of reason and ridiculous that is philosophy. Cool illustrations, brainteasers, and quirky quotations
Published October 13th 2009 by Kingfisher (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Really, Really Big Questions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Really, Really Big Questions

paula
I would like to organize my thoughts about this book. To do it justice. Because the book is certainly well-organized. It takes major philosophical questions - both the eternal ones, like "How can I tell right from wrong?" and the excruciatingly current ones, like "Did someone design the universe?" - breaks them down gently and uses accessible, often amusing analogies to go about finding the answers.

Many questions are left unanswered. Most, even, I'd say.

"How can we decide who is right about eat
Betsy
Sep 23, 2009 Betsy rated it really liked it
One Sentence Review: A perfect addition to any philosophical section of a library, and not a bad starting point for kids who wonder everything from "What happens when I die?" to "Are humans basically good or evil?"
Jill Pickle
Nov 06, 2014 Jill Pickle rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
These aren't just questions that philosophy majors in college sit around asking. You ask them, too. And since there are no "right" answers, anyone can think about them and formulate their own opinions. Some of these questions might be important to you; some of them might just be interesting to think about, like: What is it like to be a bat? FUN.
Margo Tanenbaum
May 11, 2010 Margo Tanenbaum rated it really liked it
Written by a British professor of philosophy, this is a book on life’s big questions aimed at the junior philosophy set. The book features a lively text and a retro 1950’s cartoon-style design, that, while it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with philosophy, adds a quirky look and feel to the text. The book covers a wide range of topics ranging from the big bang, what happened before the big bang, the meaning of life, whether some people are psychic, how can we tell right from wrong, what is ...more
Erroll Treslan
Aug 13, 2014 Erroll Treslan rated it it was amazing
This is a must have for any parent who would like to raise a freethinking child. I store our edition right beside our Taylor's Bible Story Book! BTW, the author should be commended for making philosophy accessible to a lay audience.
Mark Edon
Jan 20, 2013 Mark Edon rated it really liked it
OK it is for kids but most adults would benefit from this too - I did.

The disciplined way of thinking about issues gives you a hint that some philosophers do actually do some useful stuff.
Jan 12, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Really liked the illustrations & use of humor...but I question quoting Jon Bon Jovi on the "Miracles" page.
Mia Rayner
Sep 14, 2013 Mia Rayner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think It was awesome because it answered lots of my questions
Chris Potgieter
Chris Potgieter marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
MR
MR rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2016
Sunny
Sunny marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Chloe Marie
Chloe Marie marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Jody
Jody rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Paulino Pari
Paulino Pari marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Marco Ahumada
Marco Ahumada marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Ela
Ela added it
Feb 29, 2016
Burak
Burak added it
Aug 06, 2015
Jen-Maya Kober
Jen-Maya Kober rated it did not like it
Jun 23, 2015
Alaric Seah
Alaric Seah rated it really liked it
Chris Fernandes
Chris Fernandes rated it it was amazing
Katya
Katya marked it as to-read
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Krista
Krista added it
Apr 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Stephen Law is a philosopher who teaches at Heythrop College in the University of London. He also edits the journal THINK, a source of philosophy aimed at the general public, affiliated with The Royal Institute of Philosophy.
More about Stephen Law...