Start by marking “Host Club, Volume 4” as Want to Read:
Host Club, Volume 4

Host Club, Volume 4 (Ouran High School Host Club #4)

4.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,423 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
One day, Haruhi, a scholarship student at exclusive Ouran High School, breaks an $80,000 vase that belongs to the 'Host Club', a mysterious campus group consisting of six super-rich (and gorgeous) guys. To pay back the damages, she is forced to work for the club, and it's there that she discovers just how wealthy the boys are and how different they are from everybody else.
Published by Panini Manga (first published August 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Host Club, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Host Club, Volume 4

Cath
Jul 01, 2015 Cath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5
Amazing as usual! The Alice in Wonderland parody chapter is actually different to the anime episode so that was interesting, can't wait to read the next volume! :D
Kelsey Hanson
This one wasn't my favorite. Something about this one seemed a bit off. That something was probably the whole Alice in Wonderland thing which just seemed a bit clumsy and convoluted. Also, I'm not sure how transgender language is handled in Japan, but the use of the word "tranny" around here is generally used as a derogatory name and I'm not sure how I feel about seeing it used to describe Haruhi's Dad. Also there is a big difference between someone who is transgender and someone who crossdresse ...more
Isabelle is on hiatus!
Mar 14, 2015 Isabelle is on hiatus! rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TamaHaru:

description
Marialena I.
Apr 10, 2016 Marialena I. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I really liked the fact that the host club met Haruhi's cross-dressing dad!!! I can't wait to read more scenes with him!!! Of course Tamaki was amazing as always!
Denise "Mika" Hutchins
At this point, there's almost nothing to say other than "Another excellent volume of Ouran!" I do have a few comments, though.

I really enjoyed the Alice in Wonderland story; it was drastically different from the anime adaptation. I appreciated the anime version's emotional impact but nothing beats the original manga version for humor. This may have been the most I've laughed while reading Ouran so far and that's saying something.

I also really love how the manga's art style and quality has stabil
Chelsea K.
To be honest, I think this is a manga where you just have to accept it for what it is, and not criticize it for what it is. It says right there on the cover that it's a "screwball comedy" about all the wacky situations that the Host Club gets up to. That's exactly what it delivers. There's minor character development moments, minor insights into family life, and I feel like people giving this bad ratings are expecting way too much of those things. That's just not what this series is. Granted, it ...more
Christina
The Host Club has finally met Haruhi's father! Only Tamaki starts off with the most awful first impression when Haruhi's father walks in on him on top of Haruhi! He tripped, it was an accident, but it sure looks anything but. Will Haruhi's father be accepting, or will he challenge Tamaki? Or is that just his way of showing he's thinking of approving of him?

I want to give this volume three stars because of the revelations of Tamaki's deeper feelings, childhood, and lineage, but... that was really
Miss Ryoko
Aug 17, 2015 Miss Ryoko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, library-book
The Alice in Wonderland episode... omg... yes! It was so good! So, so good!!

Also, Haruhi's father FOR THE MOTHER F*CKIN' WIN!!

Jeffrey
The hijinks continue at the Ouran host club as Haruhi's father comes home to find his daughter in a compromising position, underneath the club president. Afterwards, Hunny gets a cavity and there's also a metastory version of Alice in Wonderland The fourth mini-arc introduces a new rival club, the newspaper! Finally, we get another Love Egoist story along with some feedback from Bisco Hatori

The funny part is that I enjoyed the latter two portions the most. The main story line doesn't really hold
Carina
This is another filler volume overall with the exception of the first and possibly last story.

This volume finishes off the visit to Haruhi's home, we get some more back story on her and her father - and thanks to that we get some particularly handsome drawings of Tamaki.

Story two focuses on Hunny and Mori and, just the like subject matter, is very sweet. Story three on the other hand is just plain odd.... Alice in Wonderland - Ouran style. Its enjoyable but it does feel thrown in...

The final sto
Lynn
Sep 07, 2015 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Today's post is on Ouran High School Host Club Volume 4 by Bisco Hatori. It is 184 pages long and is published by Shojo Beat Manga. As it is the fourth in the long running series you need to have read the first three to get the story. The cover has Honey and Mori on it looking cool. The intended reader is someone who has read the first three, likes over the top humor, and good characters. There is no sex, no language, and no violence in this book. The story is told from Haruhi's perspective. The ...more
Shazza Maddog
Jun 12, 2014 Shazza Maddog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the fourth volume of Ouran, we get to meet Haruhi's father, who is transgendered. She is a very lovely woman, and is quite taken by the Host Club. Tamaki, of course, gets into a fight with her over Haruhi.

The second part of the volume has a separate story, Love Egoist, which follows a teenage girl who develops a crush on one of her teachers - who is actually a harsh man who takes advantage of her. He does come to gain feelings for her, possibly through a magical spell. That story isn't as fu
mkhare
Mar 15, 2016 mkhare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
4.5 stars.
Not a fan of the unrelated 'egoist' stories at the end of volumes such as this, but the Host Club content was excellent.
Mar 20, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 4.5 Stars for Volume 4!

Quick Overview and Review

The Host Club finally meets Haruhi's father and the chuckles ensue! Tamaki is driven out by his disapproval and ends up shopping with Haruki for lunch...with everyone spying on them.

Hunny develops a cavity and Mori has to lay down the law until the situation can be remedied. Will it be too much for their friendship to take or will Hunny see the heartache it creates?

Basically the next story is Host club's weird version of Alice in Wo
Beth Joy
I really loved this volume! The Alice in Wonderland episode was hilarious and I really liked the cavity one too. =)
Nora Cayetano
La verdad es que prefiero mil veces el capítulo de Alicia del manga que el del anime :P
Linda Nguyen
I'm done. I no longer have any interests in the Ouran High School Host Club graphic novel series and am officially done.

I tried so hard to hold out for as long as I could because several people have told me that the series gets better but after four volumes and no indications that the story will be picking up any time soon (not to mention annoying characters are increasingly becoming MORE annoying), I don't want to be spending my time reading an 18 volume long series that I deem to just be "oka
Julie Hayes
Aug 17, 2010 Julie Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Volume 4 of Ouran High School Host Club begins with Haruhi's cross-dressing daddy catching her and Tamaki on the floor in a rather incriminating position - and of course he assumes the worst! Tamaki flails, attempting to placate the strange parental unit, and things are looking dire when the twins unexpectedly barge in. When it looks as though Tamaki is about to confess to having feelings for Haruhi, he ends up saying she is like a daughter to him! What an idiot! Hail hail, the gang's all here a
Michelle. D.
Nick
Sep 11, 2008 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall Rating: A
Synopsis: Created by Bisco Hatori, the series follows Haruhi Fujioka, a scholarship student at the prestigious Ouran High School. Haruhi is a girl, but she got gum put in her hair so she cut it short, and wears boys clothes. This wouldn't be terribly important, but one day she stumbles across the school's Host Club. The Host Club is basically a place for six idly rich pretty boys to be idly rich pretty boys, and idly rich pretty girls to come and fawn over them and pretend the b
Aimeekay
Apr 24, 2012 Aimeekay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So the boys from the host club decided to visit Haruhi at home! As it left off in the previous volume, Haruhi's dad walked in right after Tamaki tripped and landed on top of Haruhi! (despite his feminine attire, her dad has no problem being scarey!) He also proceeds to go into disguise mode. He and the rest of the boys from the host club, follow her and Tamaki to a local "commoners" store. Needless to say hilarity ensues!
Also in this volume:
Valentine's Day at Ouran High, and the whole club goes
Niccole Paytosh
Aug 12, 2011 Niccole Paytosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, own
The first third of volume four is split between continuing the visit to Haruhi's house, group grocery shopping, and what happens when the sweets-loving Hunny gets a cavity. The tension between Tamaki and Ryoji is well done and takes a different look on the typical boy-falls-for-girl situation. The manga-ka here really has fun playing with the characters and reading about them shopping for the first time in a normal grocery store made me smile. The silliness of the shopping leads perfectly into t ...more
Ashley
Aug 16, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
S. J.
Sep 06, 2013 S. J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Manga lovers, teenage boys and girls, people interested in manga, fans of the series
Recommended to S. by: Rebecca; Anime
Volume 4 picks up where we left Haruhi, Tamaki, and her dad - who has found the two of them in a less then ideal position, accidental of course. What follows is Tamaki making a less then great impression on Haruhi's father while the rest of the Host Club he comes to love and they learn a bit more about what has made their most interesting member the way she is. After that...things kinda go downhill.

First we have Hunny's cavity, also covered in the anime and one of my less favorite stories. Mori,
Penny
Jan 14, 2013 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-read, manga
Let me start out by saying that i will be writing one review for this manga. At first i had watched the anime that was adapted from this manga and i fell in love with the characters. It is a funny, cheesy kinda gender-bender romantic plot.

Compared to the anime, the manga had far more details and other stories involved.
Ok enough with the anime.

As i mentioned before the plot is a comedy, cheesy romantic, gender-bender...
Haruhi is a scholarship student at an exclusive rich high school called Ouran
Amy Yeap
Nov 11, 2015 Amy Yeap rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, 2015-reads, manga
Ohhhhhh, I can't really remember what I wrote just now, damn! Mori-senpai is my favourite character! His soft spot on animals is just like the soft spot that I have in him, awwwh, he's so cool, kind and ahhhh..... heart eyes! Haruhi is also a great character, very down-to-earth, realistic and sarcastic. The plot was much more complicated than I've expected, but one thing I know is I need more of Mori-senpai's appearance in this series! And if I'm not mistaken, this had a lot. 4 stars!
Paolo Jasa
There's really only one thing I want to say about this volume, and that the chapter that parodies 'Alice in Wonderland' is played a lot less seriously than it's corresponding episode. I really liked it when they played it a little more seriously though, because I felt that the episode carried more weight than the chapter did, and so had a bigger emotional impact. Otherwise, it's pretty standard fare. Not terrible, not amazing, just mediocre.
Kashmir
Dec 31, 2014 Kashmir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me he dado cuenta que cada vez les estoy tomando más cariño a los personajes. Cuando leí ''Egoísta del amor'' sentí un poco de pena porque había cambio de historia pero cuando la terminé y vi que había un mini capítulo extra de ouran me sentí como si volviera a ver a un viejo amigo (?). ¡Tamaki es un amor! Ya puedo considerarlo como mi personaje favorito (aunque Mori también me gusta muchísimo y eso que casi ni hace nada).
Cassie
Feb 27, 2012 Cassie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comic book geeks, manga fans
Recommended to Cassie by: Chaz Estell
I simply adored this collection. In some of the volumes Hatori has added extra episodes and also an extra story that isn't related to the Host Club itself. The first one was called Romantic Egoist and the one in this collection was called Love Egoist. I really enjoyed it and is something to look forward to seeing from time to time in the volumes since it follows heavily the anime. It makes a nice change of pace at times in the reading.

I am thrilled to say that I will keep reading this particula
Kylara Jensen
Good installment, but a little short seeming.

I really liked the story where the Host Club goes to Haruhi's house to eat. I also like the newspaper club story, because we see how much the host club members like Tamaki. The Alice in Wonderland story was just weird. I think it was handled better on the show.

Overall good installment and I'm looking forward to reading the next one.
  • Hana-Kimi, Vol. 11 (Hana-Kimi, #11)
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 13
Japanese: 葉鳥ビスコ

Bisco Hatori born August 30 is a Japanese manga artist. Bisco Hatori is a pseudonym; she states that the name has special meaning to her. She has worked for such magazines as LaLa. Her manga debut was A Moment of Romance in LaLa DX. Her first series was Millennium Snow. However, the comedy Ouran High School Host Club is her breakout hit.

More about Bisco Hatori...

Ouran High School Host Club (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 2 (Ouran High School Host Club, #2)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 3 (Ouran High School Host Club, #3)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 5 (Ouran High School Host Club, #5)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 6 (Ouran High School Host Club, #6)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 7 (Ouran High School Host Club, #7)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 8 (Ouran High School Host Club, #8)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 9 (Ouran High School Host Club, #9)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 10 (Ouran High School Host Club, #10)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 11 (Ouran High School Host Club, #11)

“Ryoji: It's either that she doesn't know how to lean on someone or she's simply that selfless. She won't give me a space to worry about her. Beyond that, she'll protect others instinctively.” 23 likes
“Mr. Sagunuma: We can never escape who we are. Instead of wasting time worrying about it, why don't you cut to he chase and love yourself?” 20 likes